PDA

View Full Version : on the NTL eMail service change

keith_gould
06-07-2003, 10:46
In all the time I have been an NTL customer, not once have I recieved a reply to eMails I have sent to them. Most recently I eMailed to suggest that one reason why their eMail servers were choked might be due to the fact that (unlike BT) NTL have no spam filtering in place as an added value service for thier customers. No reply but at least get an acknowledgement - just no further comment.

I think of my NTL eMail account as a "lighting conductor". I stupidly registered all of the domain names I own with my prime NTL account, weeks go by when I don't see a legitimate - nonroutine eMail to this account. Which means, as far as I'm concerned, my prime NTL eMail account is more or less useless.

I know NTL staffers read these posts - so here's my suggestion. Lower the amount of rubbish in our eMail boxes by providing us with a Server side spam filtering product. Play the same game as BT, solve a problem for yoursleves and claim that you've done it in the interests of customer service. Everybody wins.

ntlrebel
06-07-2003, 11:58
If BT is so good, then go and join them.:rolleyes:

Chimaera
06-07-2003, 12:29
(Touch wood!) I've not had any spam sent to my ntl account - now my Hotmail account, well.......... about 40 a day there!
My freeserve account is not bothered that much either - perhaps I'm just lucky!

obvious
06-07-2003, 14:10
Originally posted by ntlrebel

Are you 'The Mole' from nthellworld.com?

keith_gould
06-07-2003, 19:06

Ah how refreshing. I try to be constructive and I get abuse. BTW *I am* a BT cusomter as well as being an NTL customer.

darkangel
06-07-2003, 20:47
Originally posted by obvious
Are you 'The Mole' from nthellworld.com? you ment troll didn't u

darkangel
06-07-2003, 20:48
Originally posted by keith_gould
Ah how refreshing. I try to be constructive and I get abuse. BTW *I am* a BT cusomter as well as being an NTL customer. wouldn't worry about it seems like a couple of the ntl supporters on here are ****ers

Chris
06-07-2003, 21:09

That's hardly constructive. And it's not a good attitude to have towards customers either. If 'if you don't like it, get lost' is typical of ntl's attitude, there really is no future for the company.

Fortunately most of the ntl staff that post in here are more apt to tell the difference between abuse and a reasonable suggestion.

MikeyB
06-07-2003, 21:29
I think NTL putting spam filters on the mail servers would be a very bad idea.

No spam filter is perfect, some spam will get thru, also some legitimate email will get flagged as spam.

If this was done on the mail server, and a very important email you've been waiting for accidentaly gets marked as spam & deleted you will never get to see it.

I think the best way is to use a spam filter yourself.
I'm using SpamPal right now, seems the best of the ones I've tried. Also you have some control over what is & what isn't spam, and can set it up so that emails from your friends are always let thru.

Martin
07-07-2003, 14:15
I have had a fair bit of spam through my NTL accounts and they have been a bit hit and miss. But on the whole the service hasn't been to bad in all the time i have been with NTL. Things improve and any company can go through a bad service phase. I'm still happy though:)

obvious
07-07-2003, 14:43
opt in spam control would be the way to go imo

Shaun
07-07-2003, 15:31
Originally posted by obvious
opt in spam control would be the way to go imo

I think its a fab idea, my other half has a ntlworld.co.uk address on interactive that he has never used, last month he emptyed it of spam, now it has over 1000 lots of spam in it!!!

I told him to leave it, whats the point in spending 20 min trying to get rid of ot when it justs fills up again. Now if 30% of ntls customers do this no wonder their servers are full.:(

ntlrebel
07-07-2003, 16:09
Originally posted by keith_gould
Ah how refreshing. I try to be constructive and I get abuse. BTW *I am* a BT cusomter as well as being an NTL customer.

Touched a nerve did I ?:rolleyes: Oh well.
My point being that you are comparing Ntl to B.T. And if B.T. are that good, why are you with Ntl.:shrug:

I agree that a server side filter would be a good idea, but is not 100% spam proof, it would certainly make a diference though.

You say you are a B.T customer as well, so can I ask are you signed up with B.T. for internet access ? If not, why ?:shrug: :confused:

Gogogo
07-07-2003, 18:38
I'm all in favour of ntl introducing a "Server side spam filtering product" and would be very happy if they did so.

:wavey:

keith_gould
07-07-2003, 19:16
Touched a nerve did I ?:rolleyes: Oh well.
My point being that you are comparing Ntl to B.T. And if B.T. are that good, why are you with Ntl.:shrug:

I agree that a server side filter would be a good idea, but is not 100% spam proof, it would certainly make a diference though.

You say you are a B.T customer as well, so can I ask are you signed up with B.T. for internet access ? If not, why ?:shrug: :confused:

Thanks for accepting the server side Spam filtering has some merit. I agree, it's not for everyone. BT's implementation allows automatic kill, or file for checking. I set my BT account to file for check. I believe it builds a model of what is really spam based on user decisions over time, and stuff marked as Spam has a much lower server side retention time.

My intention in making the original post was to offer a constructive comment to NTL. That's still my honest desire, a gift to NTL, an observation designed to foster improvement of service. I've tried by eMailing NTL directly but I don't think the message got through.

Why I have a BT account is not really germane to this conversation, but in the interests of transparency I'll answer. My BT account is historic - dates right back to 28.8 over dial up as the state of the art. I have no great love for BT. They have their faults as well. They mistreat their customers, and often act with high-handed arrogance, and very seldom act on customer comment. Behaviors which seems to me (in varying degree) are par for the course with ISPs. Why am I with NTL - simple - it's convenient. My area was originally cabled for TV by my local council. They sold the franchise to Cambridge cable. When broad-band over cable became available connecting was convenient, and the spin off's also worth having.

ntlrebel
07-07-2003, 20:01
Thanks for the honset reply keith_gould.
My first reply was one of ' tongue in cheek '.

I hear all too often how crap Ntl is and we aren't as good other isp's and after questioning why they are with us, the reply more often than not is ' all isp's have problems but ours seems to the one with the least.:rolleyes:

There is always an option. I constantly look for better isp's myself. Just because I work for Ntl doens't mean I agree with everything Ntl related.

I also have to agree that the service we offer isn't as best as it should be and hope that we can do something about it.:rolleyes: But I'm not holding my breath.Download Failed (1)

Download Failed (1)