PDA

View Full Version : Confederation Bridge

Jerrek
07-02-2004, 17:36
The Confederation Bridge is the longest bridge in ice-covered waters in the world. It connects New Brunswick with Prince Edward Island, and is about 13 km (8 mi) long.

View from Prince Edward Island:
http://www.confederationbridge.com/bridge/images/en/bordenpe.jpg

View from New Brunswick:
http://www.confederationbridge.com/bridge/images/en/bridgenb2.jpg

Winter:
http://www.confederationbridge.com/bridge/images/en/winterbridge.jpg

I want to make my next road trip to P.E.I.

Ramrod
07-02-2004, 17:46
Amazing bridge. Nice pics :)

Julian
07-02-2004, 17:49
Great pictures Jerrek. :)

They must have built in some serious pillars to cope with the pressure of that ice. :eek:

danielf
07-02-2004, 17:50
Why isn't is straight? Did they need to put a bend in to make it the longest in ice covered waters?

Julian
07-02-2004, 17:53
Why isn't is straight? Did they need to put a bend in to make it the longest in ice covered waters?

That's a good question Daniel... maybe they started building at both ends and.... :eek:

Mark W
07-02-2004, 17:59
lol...had a sudden thought perhaps they had built the middle bit on the ice - and then had to watch it drift down river

timewarrior2001
07-02-2004, 18:02
The Transporter Bridge is one of Teesside's most famous and prominent landmarks. Built between 1910-11, it was designed by a local company Cleveland Bridge and Engineering Co Ltd. (Now Kvaerner Cleveland Bridge) and built by a Glasgow company, Sir William Arroll & Co Ltd., at a cost of £84,000 , who used a great deal of local workforce. The bridge was officially opened on 17th October 1911 by HRH Prince Arthur.The Transporter is the largest bridge of it's kind in the world, being 850 feet (261 metres) long and 225 feet (69 metres) high at it's highest point. It spans the Tees river for 571 feet (175 metres). It used to be possible to walk over the Transporter by foot, climbing stairs up one leg, crossing the top and descending the stairs down the other leg. These days, you can only cross using the suspended car that trundles along on the rails above.

At night time, the Transporter is now lit up, creating a magnificent monument for Teesside that can be seen for miles around. To this day it acts as an excellent example of Teesside's engineering excellence.

Mal
07-02-2004, 18:07
The Transporter Bridge is one of Teesside's most famous and prominent landmarks. Built between 1910-11, it was designed by a local company Cleveland Bridge and Engineering Co Ltd. (Now Kvaerner Cleveland Bridge) and built by a Glasgow company, Sir William Arroll & Co Ltd., at a cost of £84,000 , who used a great deal of local workforce. The bridge was officially opened on 17th October 1911 by HRH Prince Arthur.The Transporter is the largest bridge of it's kind in the world, being 850 feet (261 metres) long and 225 feet (69 metres) high at it's highest point. It spans the Tees river for 571 feet (175 metres). It used to be possible to walk over the Transporter by foot, climbing stairs up one leg, crossing the top and descending the stairs down the other leg. These days, you can only cross using the suspended car that trundles along on the rails above.

At night time, the Transporter is now lit up, creating a magnificent monument for Teesside that can be seen for miles around. To this day it acts as an excellent example of Teesside's engineering excellence.

I thought that it had been moved to Arizona. ;) :D

Flubflow
07-02-2004, 18:14
I thought that it had been moved to Arizona. ;) :D

Did you know that some people actually thought it was being moved.......
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/1985075.stm

danielf
07-02-2004, 18:16
I never thought I'd get excited about a bridge, but I enjoyed taking some time to look at this one (http://www.cludgie.co.uk/photos/helicopter/Page2/pages/DSC01231_JPG.htm)

Flubflow
07-02-2004, 18:23

Also famous in the 1970's when comedian Terry Scott drove off the edge (http://www.middlesbrough.gov.uk/it/webdevt/ArchiveP.nsf/678feb1611045b0c8025674d004a2b74/129e165e54bcc97d8025695b003088e7?OpenDocument) thinking it was a regular bridge. I think he ended up in a safety net or something. Pity. It would have beed a great way for a sh1te comedian to die though.

Jerrek
07-02-2004, 19:46
Well, if I remember my high school physics correctly, a curved structure is stronger. By curving a bit it can support higher pressure from winds, water, and ice.

luftys
07-02-2004, 21:05
Well, if I remember my high school physics correctly, a curved structure is stronger. it can support higher pressure from winds
Just dont tell the girls :rofl:

BBKing
11-02-2004, 23:00
Well, if I remember my high school physics correctly, a curved structure is stronger. it can support higher pressure from winds

Well, if I remember my civil engineering masters degree, it isn't. That'll work for dams, which are often arched to provide the same strength with less material, where the sides of the valley are sufficiently strong that they can take some of the load (this is how an arch works, it has to have strong abutments at each end, whether it's upright or sideways). This curved bridge is not built in the same manner though, it's actually s-shaped.

The real reason it is s-shaped is also the reason why modern UK motorways are curved, to keep drivers awake.