PDA

View Full Version : [Merged] NTL Email Issues

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mick
06-02-2004, 22:29
Its been a very long time coming....

Planned Maintenance - ntlworld Email Service 09/02/04
6 February 2004 16:08.

The ntlworld email service will be unavailable to all customers between 11pm on Monday 9th February 2004 and 7am on Tuesday 10th February 2004.

This is to allow work to upgrade the email servers to improve the performance of the email service.

This outage will affect all ntlworld email users, including dial up, broadband and Freedom customers. During this time, ntlworld customers will be unable to send or receive emails, via Outlook Express or the webmail service on ntlworld.com.

Any emails sent to your account during this time will be available to you once the email servers are available on Tuesday morning from 07.00a.m. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.
Do you have faith that ntl will finally sort this fiasco and this will be the end of the e-mail problems that seem to have been going on forever?

Stuartbe
06-02-2004, 22:38

Do you have faith that ntl will finally sort this fiasco and this will be the end of the e-mail problems that seem to have been going on forever?[/color][/size][/font]

I have a full squadron of pigs ready to take off at your command Dr Plummer :D

Sociable
06-02-2004, 22:39

Do you have faith that ntl will finally sort this fiasco and this will be the end of the e-mail problems that seem to have been going on forever?

Not holding my breath for sure.

Mind you the one saving grace for NTL is that having the service down for 8 hours (if all goes as planned) will seem perfectly "normal" to most of us. :rofl:

Mick
06-02-2004, 22:47
I have a full squadron of pigs ready to take off at your command Dr Plummer :D
:rofl:

Stuartbe
06-02-2004, 22:50

chocks away old chap :D

The_real_dj
09-02-2004, 01:05
so is this going to be the introduction of the new email system using that openwave stuff??

Surly someone must be in the know :)

Stuartbe
09-02-2004, 23:18
The NTL email server at 62.253.162.40 has just gone down....

Anyone else unable to connect ????

Paul
09-02-2004, 23:20
Looks like they have started on time - my NTL e-mail has gone down.

Sociable
09-02-2004, 23:20
Just in case anyone missed all the earlier alerts looks like the emails servers are now off line.

Fingers crossed they return by morning :)

tkiely
09-02-2004, 23:21

Check the home page for this forum for the news.

Dont forget , its ntl, its 11pm on a monday so it's sure to be buggered

Sociable
09-02-2004, 23:21
OOps duplicate can a mod merge or delete the thread i started.

Sociable
09-02-2004, 23:22
Yep may as well merge the other two threads with this one :)

Stuartbe
09-02-2004, 23:24
icmp ping is down for the server above..

I have software running that checks all the NTL servers. Pop, Smtp, Proxy, Time server and both dns servers. It just alerted me via email about the ping down !!!!

Doh !! just checked the status page - NTL mail servers will be down whilst the engineers have a tea break :)

Stuartbe
09-02-2004, 23:35
Current NTL world network status...

Paul
09-02-2004, 23:43
LOL - stuart gets the award for being first to post mail is down ......

See http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7373

Stuartbe
09-02-2004, 23:46
LOL - stuart gets the award for being first to post mail is down ......

See http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7373

:D :D :D :D :D Bit to eager maybe :D :D :D :D :D

Cheers Pem

Nikko
09-02-2004, 23:48
Doh

Mr.Moony
10-02-2004, 00:01
How come you gave the IP instead of saying smtp.ntlworld.com ?

Stuartbe
10-02-2004, 00:03
How come you gave the IP instead of saying smtp.ntlworld.com ?

Not sure - I thought that there was a diff. IP for diff. area's.... If the ip is the same that means that the whole of the u.k. has no email...

Good question m8 --- :D

Sociable
10-02-2004, 00:10
Not sure - I thought that there was a diff. IP for diff. area's.... If the ip is the same that means that the whole of the u.k. has no email...

Good question m8 --- :D

LOL It is the same and yes it is down all over the UK have a look at the main homepage for details Stu. :)

Mr.Moony
10-02-2004, 00:12
Didnt realise they were taking down smtp. Wish I had read the thingy more....

Stuartbe
10-02-2004, 00:12
LOL It is the same and yes it is down all over the UK have a look at the main homepage for details Stu. :)

Just did.... I wonder if the are giving the current hamster a holiday ?? :D

Still if the servers improve after this refit I will be very happy and will eat my hat... If I had one :rofl:

brianlb
10-02-2004, 00:13

As of ten minutes past midnight, early on 10 Feb., I haven't been able to send or receive my ntlworld.com e-mails, although my NTL dial-up connection is working OK.

Brian

Nikko
10-02-2004, 00:23
ntl regret to inform users of the unfortunate demise of Hammy, the well known & loved network hampster.

Hammy passed away doing what he loved best - running aimlessly in a straight line, knawing away to himself whilst still providing the best possible support to the many customers he serviced on a daily basis.

Whilst it will be impossible to replace Hammy in the hearts and souls of many subscribers, it is hoped that the multi million pound deal for new kit will stop them all moaning in the morning.

Additionally, a back-up system is in place, and Gus the guinea-pig is on hand to step in, in the unlikely event of a local failure.

Stuartbe
10-02-2004, 00:25
ntl regret to inform users of the unfortunate demise of Hammy, the well known & loved network hampster.

Hammy passed away doing what he loved best - running aimlessly in a straight line, knawing away to himself whilst still providing the best possible support to the many customers he serviced on a daily basis.

Whilst it will be impossible to replace Hammy in the hearts and souls of many subscribers, it is hoped that the multi million pound deal for new kit will stop them all moaning in the morning.

Additionally, a back-up system is in place, and Gus the guinea-pig is on hand to step in, in the unlikely event of a local failure.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Are you sure a donkey and a carrot on a stick have not taken over ??? :D

Mr.Moony
10-02-2004, 00:36
You guys laugh all you want. Hammy was a good man. He had a family.
All you people could think about was your email.
Ive put my best man on the servers for when they return :

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2004/02/4.jpg

sir_drinks_alot
10-02-2004, 00:38
much like beethoven ntl's troubles will go on for ever

Stuartbe
10-02-2004, 00:40
You guys laugh all you want. Hammy was a good man. He had a family.
All you people could think about was your email.
Ive put my best man on the servers for when they return :

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2004/02/4.jpg

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Dont scrimp on the fish will you m8 :D

Stuartbe
10-02-2004, 00:56
Lots of lurkers on this thread.... Come on and introduce yourselves...

We dont bite I promise :)

Russ
10-02-2004, 00:58
The mail server is down? You mean it's NOT my username and password?

Grrrrr, I spent 2 hours retyping that in....... ;) :D

Stuartbe
10-02-2004, 01:00

What !!!! You did not try typing in your details with the keybaord upside down ????? Shame on you !!! :D

Nikko
10-02-2004, 01:06

Sorry to hear you had problems, Russ - but given that a password is 10 characters (10 seconds to input?) then either you have an inordinately long user name or you need a speed typing course - 119 minutes 50 seconds to type your name?

Stuartbe
10-02-2004, 01:10
Sorry to hear you had problems, Russ - but given that a password is 10 characters (10 seconds to input?) then either you have an inordinately long user name or you need a speed typing course - 119 minutes 50 seconds to type your name?

NO - He typed his details at normal speed - Its just that it took 25 mins for the packets to transverse the NTL network :D

Sociable
10-02-2004, 01:13
No like me he is getting on in years so it takes two hours just to remember our name let alone a password.

Mick
10-02-2004, 01:14
Yep may as well merge the other two threads with this one :)
Done, just got back bit late but got held up in traffic.... Roll on 7am then. :)

ian@huth
10-02-2004, 01:15
I have just been informed, on good authority, that the problem with the email servers was caused when the resident hamster was taken out for a breath of fresh air. NTL have to do this quite often because the hamsters become lethargic due to the smell of bullsh*t that is common in NTL premises. Unfortunately the email servers had been relocated to India and were in the same building as the NTL call centre. One of the call centre elephants which were there because someone at NTL had decided that they needed elephants in order to make trunk calls hadn't noticed the hamster and had trod on it meaning a long outage whilst they find a replacement.

Stuartbe
10-02-2004, 01:15
No like me he is getting on in years so it takes two hours just to remember our name let alone a password.

Shame on you m8 - :)

It must be you that is single handedly slowing down the NTL network :D

Stuartbe
10-02-2004, 01:16
I have just been informed, on good authority, that the problem with the email servers was caused when the resident hamster was taken out for a breath of fresh air. NTL have to do this quite often because the hamsters become lethargic due to the smell of bullsh*t that is common in NTL premises. Unfortunately the email servers had been relocated to India and were in the same building as the NTL call centre. One of the call centre elephants which were there because someone at NTL had decided that they needed elephants in order to make trunk calls hadn't noticed the hamster and had trod on it meaning a long outage whilst they find a replacement.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Admit it !!!!! You have insider information..... Confess - Confess :D

Stuartbe
10-02-2004, 08:37

Server was back up at 06:20 hours.....

Sociable
10-02-2004, 11:22
Yep Credit where Credt is Due.

Way to go NTL the upgrade seemed to go well !!!!!!!!

Wonders...did they perhaps create a clone of Hammy?

Stuartbe
10-02-2004, 11:34
looks like the same mail server version to me - InterMail vM.4.01.03.37 201-229-121-137-20020806

Perhaps it was a hardware upgrade !!

foxtrot_yankee
10-02-2004, 12:50
2 of my email addresses are still awful. I'm still constantly bombarded every 2minutes with a timeout message. So much for the upgrade.

Sociable
10-02-2004, 13:41
2 of my email addresses are still awful. I'm still constantly bombarded every 2minutes with a timeout message. So much for the upgrade.

This is just a guess, but it could be that a few individual servers carrying the user/password info are still off-line and those extra accounts will return to normal before too long.

One option could be to delete and re-set those specific accounts in Outlook/Outlook Express to see if that helps but I would wait a few before doing that just in case my first guess is correct.

Stuartbe
10-02-2004, 15:16
We still dont know what they did to the servers though !!!!!!!!!

Perhaps it was a hamster upgrade ! :)

Neil
11-02-2004, 18:02
We still dont know what they did to the servers though !!!!!!!!!

Perhaps it was a hamster upgrade ! :)

Whatever it was didn't last long.....

Planned maintenance - Email Service 12/2/04 01:00

11 February 2004 16:24

Due to essential maintenance work on our email service some ntlhome customers may be unable to receive email while the work is in progress.
Any emails sent to your account during this time will be available to you once the work is complete.

Full service should be resumed by 07:00 12/2/04.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

foxtrot_yankee
11-02-2004, 22:50
Hooray! Perhaps they'll fix my addresses. They still timeout.

threadbare
11-02-2004, 23:08
2 of my email addresses are still awful. I'm still constantly bombarded every 2minutes with a timeout message. So much for the upgrade.try disabling you av software to see if it still times out

foxtrot_yankee
12-02-2004, 00:38
try disabling you av software to see if it still times out
Yes, it does. :(

Sociable
12-02-2004, 00:46
Yes, it does. :(

I know we have already suggested removing the accounts and re-adding them before, but it may be worth trying this again in case the stored password has been changed when the error window has come up while you were typing in another application and inadvertantly saved an incorrect password.

foxtrot_yankee
12-02-2004, 01:00
I know we have already suggested removing the accounts and re-adding them before, but it may be worth trying this again in case the stored password has been changed when the error window has come up while you were typing in another application and inadvertantly saved an incorrect password.
It's not that. It'll get through maybe 3 times in an hour, but the rest of the time, it times-out. And an error box pops up from Outlook on top of any window I'm looking at. Very very annoying.
A few other ntlworld addresses work fine. I use 5 altogether. 3 of which are fine. 2 timeout constantly.

Sociable
12-02-2004, 01:03
OK from memory there is a way you can set a longer delay that may help reduce the number of time outs but I can't for the life of me remember how to set that up.

Anyone else know?

carlingman
12-02-2004, 01:08
OK from memory there is a way you can set a longer delay that may help reduce the number of time outs but I can't for the life of me remember how to set that up.

Anyone else know?

Could try tools/accounts/highlight the account/then/properties

Goto the advanced tab and move the slider bar for sever timeouts up a bit.

:)

carlingman
12-02-2004, 01:12
Alternatively you could try tools/accounts/highlight the account/then/properties/servers

Then change pop.ntlworld.com to 62.253.162.50

And smtp.ntlworld.com to 62.253.162.40

See if that improves it.

foxtrot_yankee
12-02-2004, 01:24
Alternatively you could try tools/accounts/highlight the account/then/properties/servers

Then change pop.ntlworld.com to 62.253.162.50

And smtp.ntlworld.com to 62.253.162.40

See if that improves it.
Fraid that doesn't make anything better. I've moved timeouts to 2 minutes. Still takes ages.

Mick
12-02-2004, 03:35
Fraid that doesn't make anything better. I've moved timeouts to 2 minutes. Still takes ages.Don't forget that during today's maintenance on the email servers between 1am and 7am, that this could have a knock-on effect, if you have carried out carlingman's suggestions during this time. :)

Stuartbe
12-02-2004, 08:29
Hi All....

The work on the email servers was sheduled to be completed this morning at 7:00am...

Has the upgrade helped at all ?

Can everyone access there webmail ?

Are you still having problems ?

.................................................. ...

Ben
12-02-2004, 08:32
Yo,

My webmail works although trying to get mail though my outlook before I left for work this morning failed :( Popped up the stupid username/password box :mad: :rolleyes:

Whats new? :)

Neil
12-02-2004, 08:43
No offence Stu ( :angel: ), but do we really need another thread running on ntl's email 'service'?

I know you have a poll on this one, but this will just end up as a duplicate of the other.

Any objections to a merge? ;)

Stuartbe
12-02-2004, 08:46
No offence Stu ( :angel: ), but do we really need another thread running on ntl's email 'service'?

I know you have a poll on this one, but this will just end up as a duplicate of the other.

Any objections to a merge? ;)

None at all m8 - I only started this one as I wanted a poll in it...

Go for it :)

Paul
12-02-2004, 09:15
Well since it worked ok for me before, and is working ok for me now - I voted "no change". :)

Stuartbe
12-02-2004, 11:47
Well since it worked ok for me before, and is working ok for me now - I voted "no change". :)

Still loads or lurkers on this thread - come on and say hello :wavey:

We dont bite - well apart from Pem :D

foxtrot_yankee
12-02-2004, 13:35
"The operation timed out while waiting for a response from the receiving (POP) server."

:mad:

Pieman
12-02-2004, 16:29
Since Monday I am unable to get to webmail working (well got in twice) from work - Keep getting "Session Invalid".....

I used to get that when we were using a Foreign proxy - as soon as we switched to a proxy server in the UK it was fine - NOW - nothing works...........

Sometimes I get the navigation (folders) frame up and the main window "Invalid Session" other times both frames show "Invalid Session"......

Whats happening???????????????

zacpack
18-02-2004, 13:03
It seems with everyone having email trouble over the last few days no body has mentioned this mail from NTL, which I received in my Inbox today!!!

"
Dear Customer

We are about to upgrade and improve our email system. This is a major project and will take several weeks to complete. When we have finished, we hope that you'll notice an improvement to the performance and reliability of email.

In order to let us carry out this important work, we will need to stop the email service for short periods of time. We will do this as few times as possible and only during times of lowest use.

Over the next 4 weeks, the email service will not be available on Monday night from 11pm until 7am on Tuesday morning. This will start on Monday 16th February.

During these times, you will be unable to send or receive email from your 'customer@ntlworld.com' account. All incoming email received during this period will be delivered to your mailbox after 7am on Tuesday morning. All outgoing email created during this period will be sent when you next log-on to your ntlworld email service after 7am.

To keep you up to date on the progress of these improvements to the mail service please visit www.ntlworld.com.

In the meantime, we're sorry for the inconvenience and look forward to supplying you with
an improved service once this work is completed.

Yours sincerely,

The ntl Home Internet Team"

Yes - I did receive it today, telling me that there will be an email outage on the Monday just gone!

Rorschach
18-02-2004, 19:25
It seems with everyone having email trouble over the last few days no body has mentioned this mail from NTL, which I received in my Inbox today!!!

"
Dear Customer

We are about to upgrade and improve our email system. This is a major project and will take several weeks to complete. When we have finished, we hope that you'll notice an improvement to the performance and reliability of email.

In order to let us carry out this important work, we will need to stop the email service for short periods of time. We will do this as few times as possible and only during times of lowest use.

Over the next 4 weeks, the email service will not be available on Monday night from 11pm until 7am on Tuesday morning. This will start on Monday 16th February.

During these times, you will be unable to send or receive email from your 'customer@ntlworld.com' account. All incoming email received during this period will be delivered to your mailbox after 7am on Tuesday morning. All outgoing email created during this period will be sent when you next log-on to your ntlworld email service after 7am.

To keep you up to date on the progress of these improvements to the mail service please visit www.ntlworld.com (http://www.ntlworld.com/).

In the meantime, we're sorry for the inconvenience and look forward to supplying you with
an improved service once this work is completed.

Yours sincerely,

The ntl Home Internet Team"

Yes - I did receive it today, telling me that there will be an email outage on the Monday just gone!
Yup, I got this today as well. To be honest, I've not really had any e-mail problems, he said, really asking for trouble!

Where you at Zacpac? I'm in Glasgow. Has anyone else received this e-mail?

Rorschach

Stuartbe
18-02-2004, 19:30
Yup, I got this today as well. To be honest, I've not really had any e-mail problems, he said, really asking for trouble!

Where you at Zacpac? I'm in Glasgow. Has anyone else received this e-mail?

Rorschach

I got it too. But spam assasin spammed it..... Nice one guys.... Proof that it works well IMO :rofl:

zacpack
19-02-2004, 08:41
I got it too. But spam assasin spammed it..... Nice one guys.... Proof that it works well IMO :rofl:

I'm in northampton. So just a little further away!!

mrm1
19-02-2004, 16:20
Just received the same email today in Swindon.

Ian58
19-02-2004, 18:38
This is more of a question about the e-mail service. I keep getting asked for my username and password. I keep giving the both but it keeps asking and won`t let me in. Is the format for the username fred.smith@pop.ntlworld.com or fred.smith@ntlworld.com? Thanks in anticipation of someone putting me out of my misery.
Ian. :confused:

Sociable
19-02-2004, 18:44
In the example given it would be fred.smith@ntlworld.com as the main account but the user name would be just the fred.smith part unlike hotmail where the user name is the full email address.

The problem you are having though is not that the user name and password are incorrect it is that the system, for one reason or another, is not confirming that they are correct which is not the same thing at all. (This assumes that the same details have worked previously and are therefore correct though)

That said what a few have found is that deleting the account in Outlook/Outlook Express and then re-adding it can help.

Others have found changing the pop and smtp address to the IP equivalent to bypass the DNS servers has also cured the problem.

However, if the problem is that a server carrying your details is currently not available for any reason, then none of the above will help until a server carrying your account details is back on line.

Hope that helps.

gary_580
19-02-2004, 18:48
Typical NTL sent the Email 3 days after it first happened!!!

Ian58
19-02-2004, 18:52
Thank you Sociable. The whole thing has been a mess all week.

Ian. :mad:

Ibeam
20-02-2004, 10:46
I don't think I have posted on here before but this e.mail situation is exasperating to say the least. I am glad it doesn't have to be my prime e.mail address!!!!!!!! I log on very infrequently to check my mail and every time it takes several minutes for each e.mail to load or they just don't load or time me out!!!!!!!!!!!! I hav e broadband so I shudder to think how long it would take on a slower connection. So I am hoping, as I suppose everyone else is, that this revamp will go someway so solving their problems. Come on NTL pull your socks up and give us the service we are paying for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:naughty: :banghead: :banghead:

Stuartbe
20-02-2004, 10:50
I don't think I have posted on here before but this e.mail situation is exasperating to say the least. I am glad it doesn't have to be my prime e.mail address!!!!!!!! I log on very infrequently to check my mail and every time it takes several minutes for each e.mail to load or they just don't load or time me out!!!!!!!!!!!! I hav e broadband so I shudder to think how long it would take on a slower connection. So I am hoping, as I suppose everyone else is, that this revamp will go someway so solving their problems. Come on NTL pull your socks up and give us the service we are paying for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:naughty: :banghead: :banghead:

Hi Ibeam :welcome: to the site :)

NTL are currently working on the mail servers and are due to finish soon.

Time will tell - It may help / It may not :(

Lets give them the benifit of the doubt (again :rolleyes: )

Mick
01-03-2004, 16:28
Reminder:-

ntl Home - All Packages - E-Mail Service
1 March 2004 15:47

The ntlworld email service will be unavailable to all customers between 2300 on Monday 1st March and 0700 on Tuesday 2nd March.
This is to allow work to upgrade the email servers to improve the performance of the email service.

This outage will affect all ntlworld email users, including dial up, broadband and Freedom customers.

During this time, ntlworld customers will be unable to send or receive emails, either from using Outlook Express or using the webmail service on ntlworld.com.

Any emails sent to your account during this time will be available to you once the email servers are available on Tuesday morning from 0700am.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this work may cause.

LooeyUK
01-03-2004, 19:59
In Dartford area, its not working. In Outlook Express its stuck on authorising and when I go to check webmail I get:

Unable to connect to message store.

Neil
01-03-2004, 20:24
Looks like work may have started early on your mail server..... :shrug:

1 March 2004 15:47

The ntlworld email service will be unavailable to all customers between 2300 on Monday 1st March and 0700 on Tuesday 2nd March.

This outage will affect all ntlworld email users, including dial up, broadband and Freedom customers.

During this time, ntlworld customers will be unable to send or receive emails, either from using Outlook Express or using the webmail service on ntlworld.com.

Any emails sent to your account during this time will be available to you once the email servers are available on Tuesday morning from 0700am.

http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/lookup/default.asp

chris-sf
01-03-2004, 23:59
What the fook are NTL doing with the email servers, hope its worth all the downtime!

What ever happened to fault tolerance and uptimes, redundant servers.... :|

peachey
02-03-2004, 00:34
What the fook are NTL doing with the email servers, hope its worth all the downtime!

take my advice

setup a yahoo account

as ntl mail servers are too much aggrro

Charlie_Bubble
02-03-2004, 01:15

NTL took it the wrong way and made their email servers redundant today! They're off down the job centre tomorrow to sign on! :)

Scarlett
02-03-2004, 08:10
Actually I haven't had any email all weekend, since the 'upgrade' started.

On the upside, I'm now looking as ADSL suppliers* so this shouldn't be a problem much longer.

I don't care what they might have claimed to have done to improve the email I just want a service that's actually up and runnning 99% of the time.

To be fair, I've never had that many problems with browsing but thats not going to make up for the pi** poor email.

* I currently work for BT and this will mean that I can defn work from home as well, it may have been possible with NTL as was but I guess I'll never need to find out.

br3ach
02-03-2004, 10:14
Its all been said before....

You know what to do if your not ahppy, because I dont think its ever going to improve, although they claim it will.

How hard can a simple thing, that everyone else seems to get right, be?

poolking
02-03-2004, 12:20

So where were you when the overhaul of the email system was announced?

abailey152
02-03-2004, 12:48
Normally I'm the first to **** NTL off, but I think in this case they put a notice up, and have been working on the email servers at the same time of week for a while. It's only overnight one day a week, so if it results in a much better service, then it's worth it.

If little changes.......well, then that's another matter!

threadbare
02-03-2004, 14:00

What ever happened to fault tolerance and uptimes, redundant servers.... :|quick call ntl - tell them to cancell all their mail server work cos you want your email now!

poolking
02-03-2004, 18:14
Is anyone else still not able to connect to the email servers?

I'm in the ST16 area.

madman045
03-03-2004, 17:52
Ive checked the server status page & there isnt anything today for email problems.

When trying to collect my email via outlook, just for my ntl account its asking me to confirm my username & password.

Its been fine until day, retrieved it all fine last night.

Is there a problem at the moment?

Cheers

br3ach
03-03-2004, 17:54
There is maintenance going on....

If you PM me your username & password I can tell you if its correct on our systems, and then you know if you need to phone in or not :)

Others here will vouch I work for NTL if your worried about security....

therock247uk
03-03-2004, 18:02
Damm email is always down. I thourght ntl was gonna improve it but it looks like they cant be bothered too. Sometimes i go to check my email and it rejectes my password. Come on ntl this is getting beyond stupid FIX IT.

Hologram
03-03-2004, 18:03
Ive checked the server status page & there isnt anything today for email problems.

When trying to collect my email via outlook, just for my ntl account its asking me to confirm my username & password.

CheersI'm getting the same problem. Been alright during the day. Just started happening since I reset the PC.:mad:

poolking
03-03-2004, 18:08
I haven't been able to send/receive emails since 5am Tuesday Morning!!

Scrubbs
03-03-2004, 18:10
Mines working fine, but... strange that the last email I got was for this
http://www.ntlworld.com/help/broadbandmedic (http://emarketing.eqtr.com/email_tracker/ctr3.asp?eid=467493&cid=860&sid=0&url=http://www.ntlworld.com/help/broadbandmedic)

Mick
03-03-2004, 18:13
Damm email is always down. I thourght ntl was gonna improve it but it looks like they cant be bothered too. Sometimes i go to check my email and it rejectes my password. Come on ntl this is getting beyond stupid FIX IT.

They are doing in series of planned maintenance sessions, last one was Monday evening.

poolking
03-03-2004, 18:19
3 March 2004 13:37 Broadband Internet - South regions ntlhome broadband internet customers in Warwick, Coventry, Lichfield, Stafford, Swindon and surrounding areas may experience a loss of service due to a technical fault.

Our engineers are aware and are working towards resolutions as soon as possible.

Please accept our apologes for any inconvenience this may cause.

Does this include the email outage over the past 36 hours?

bertJ
03-03-2004, 18:30

Exactly the same in Wirral, Merseyside (CH63) - e mail was working earlier today but now dead. Tried phoning Cust.Serv. but can't get a reply. Could someone check please?

grahamj
03-03-2004, 18:44
Guess what....

:fit:

3 March 2004 18:29 ntl Home - All Packages - Mail Service

Ntlhome Internet customers using the Ntlworld Mail service may be experiencing problems accessing the service, this is because of a technical fault. Our engineers are aware of this issue and working on a resolution.

We would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused

Charlie_Bubble
03-03-2004, 19:08
I'm starting to lose my patience with NTLs service. £34.99 a month, with no news servers to speak of and very intermittent email servers, despite a recent upgrade! :mad:

Mick
03-03-2004, 19:11

I think the needle has become stuck on the record. :rolleyes:

grahamj
03-03-2004, 19:19
I'm starting to lose my patience with NTLs service. £34.99 a month, with no news servers to speak of and very intermittent email servers, despite a recent upgrade! :mad:

to be fair I dont think the email upgrade has fully been completed yet! but it is a joke....but I cant see anything major happening quickly...after all this has been going on for a llllllllloooooooooooonnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggg time.

:scratch: maybe I could run the server for them :D

Simcut
03-03-2004, 19:55
Guys I got big problems with my email, I checked my email whilst at work via webmail obviously and I had 10 emails sat in the inbox which I wanted to download to outlook when I get home, now I am at a home and checked my email to find only 2 messages, both new, no sign of the other 10, wtf is going on!! does that mean my emails are deleted somehow by the server whilst they were doing maintenance work? please help guys ! :(

kevin_moffatt
03-03-2004, 22:21
I noticed here (http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/lookup/default.asp) that NTL are having probs with the email service, but is it a regular occurrance when this happens for people to lose their email?

I have been trying to log in to my account for a while and now it seems to be working, apart from the fact that everything that was in my inbox is gone. I use IMAP so it should still be there.

I haven't changed or touched anything regarding my mail client, so I am baffled, and if those emails really are gone, about to be extremely angry.

Any ideas?

Leedsman
03-03-2004, 22:50
ntl Home - All Packages - Mail Service
Ntlhome Internet customers using the Ntlworld Mail service may be experiencing problems accessing the service, this is because of a technical fault. Our engineers are aware of this issue and working on a resolution.

Don't apologise. Just give your customers a decent service.

foxtrot_yankee
03-03-2004, 22:52
I really wish they'd sort things out now. Why is it NTL? Why aren't Telewest or Pipex or AOL or any other ISP having such problems as NTL???

Emperor Ming
03-03-2004, 23:04
your not the only one :( all my web server addys / inbox / even trash GONE but where :fit:

kevin_moffatt
03-03-2004, 23:06
Well, the server is down again for me at the mo, so maybe they're still working on it.

All we can do is hope!

grahamj
03-03-2004, 23:10
I noticed here (http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/lookup/default.asp) that NTL are having probs with the email service, but is it a regular occurrance when this happens for people to lose their email?

I have been trying to log in to my account for a while and now it seems to be working, apart from the fact that everything that was in my inbox is gone. I use IMAP so it should still be there.

I haven't changed or touched anything regarding my mail client, so I am baffled, and if those emails really are gone, about to be extremely angry.

Any ideas?

your using IMAP? Does/can ntl's email server support that? I didnt think they had IMAP enabled? :confused:

Still appears thou that email is down.....still getting mailbox unavailable :fit:

poolking
03-03-2004, 23:11
Strange thing is I can receive email from my ntl account through my Yahoo account without any trouble?

So this outage doesn't affect IMAP?

Emperor Ming
03-03-2004, 23:14
My WEB mail has just been all erased including addys WHAT THE HELL is going on :fit: :fit:

kevin_moffatt
03-03-2004, 23:15
your using IMAP? Does/can ntl's email server support that? I didnt think they had IMAP enabled? :confused:

I've been using it for a few months now. If they disabled it they didn't do a very good job! :D

Paul
03-03-2004, 23:15
Not all the MSS's are down - two of my accounts are currently unavailable - the others are ok.

SMTP is being slow to respond in Nottingham tonight - keeps triggering my monitor's.

grahamj
03-03-2004, 23:16
Strange thing is I can receive email from my ntl account through my Yahoo account without any trouble?

So this outage doesn't affect IMAP?

NTL email is strange :rofl:

Who knows about IMAP I never even knew NTL had it enabled on their servers in the first place.

but hey id never use IMAP with NTL. end up losing emails :(

Looking on this site I cant see nothing mentioned about IMAP settings :shrug:

http://www.ntlworld.com/help/generalHelp/settings.html

AH UPDATE...

me just done some investigating!!

doing a telnet to the imap.ntlworld.com 143 give you the intermail login....but still I wouldnt use IMAP......

Paul
03-03-2004, 23:28
ntl Home - All Packages - Mail Service

Don't apologise. Just give your customers a decent service.

So next time something fails you would prefer them not to post it or apologise ?

poolking
03-03-2004, 23:33
It appears my email virus scanner was interfering and I've just deactivated and everything is coming through.

Stephen
04-03-2004, 01:14
I just managed to log in to my emails after 4hours of trying and the 8 emails i had earlier today when i checked them at work have been deleted. One of them was a very important one as well that I never got to read. Am very ****ed off.

Mick
04-03-2004, 01:16
So next time something fails you would prefer them not to post it or apologise ?
But it is not just 'something' is it pem?

Customers are becoming increasingly fedup with the email situation, this problem began last year. To some its become more of an inconvenience, so hence customers naturally, become tired of the apologies.

therock247uk
04-03-2004, 01:34
WTF i go to webmail and all my emails have gone if they dont put them back then there gonna see a side of me they havent seen before.

therock247uk
04-03-2004, 01:38
I got that aswell. I had some important emails there that i never read they were new ones that would have got send to me today lucky my old ones are stored on this pc.

Nikko
04-03-2004, 01:46
Mine has been down this evening - its working now.

Whilst access is down, the server will still keep the inbox intact for when its back up.

Paul
04-03-2004, 02:16
But it is not just 'something' is it pem?

Customers are becoming increasingly fedup with the email situation, this problem began last year. To some its become more of an inconvenience, so hence customers naturally, become tired of the apologies.

According to another thread they now have 1 million BB customers - all of these have at least one e-mail address, most have more.

Assuming for the sake of argument that they all have at least two then that's two million e-mail accounts - How many Mail Storage Servers do you need for that many accounts - I don't know - but I'm guessing a fair few up and down the country.

IT equipment fails - that's a fact of life - and the more you have, the more likely it is that you will have something somewhere that has failed. Even if 99.9% of e-mail accounts are ok at any one time then that is 0.1% with a problem (at least 2000 based on the assumption above).

When you have a million customers then even with 99.9% service many hundreds of people throughout NTL will have a problem at any one given time - and since this forum covers all areas - someone will generally be here posting about it. NTL are not perfect by any means but people should remember that you will always get a biased view from this forum - it is, after all, here for tales of hell. :)

Mick
04-03-2004, 03:03
According to another thread they now have 1 million BB customers - all of these have at least one e-mail address, most have more.

Assuming for the sake of argument that they all have at least two then that's two million e-mail accounts - How many Mail Storage Servers do you need for that many accounts - I don't know - but I'm guessing a fair few up and down the country.

IT equipment fails - that's a fact of life - and the more you have, the more likely it is that you will have something somewhere that has failed. Even if 99.9% of e-mail accounts are ok at any one time then that is 0.1% with a problem (at least 2000 based on the assumption above).

When you have a million customers then even with 99.9% service many hundreds of people throughout NTL will have a problem at any one given time - and since this forum covers all areas - someone will generally be here posting about it. NTL are not perfect by any means but people should remember that you will always get a biased view from this forum - it is, after all, here for tales of hell. :)
Having a million customers is no excuse IMO, there is such a thing called investment, if you want more customers, which they do, investment is necessary in order for growth and additional resources. :)

kevin_moffatt
04-03-2004, 06:57
w00t!

My mail is back...thank God. I was about to have kittens...lol

Neil
04-03-2004, 08:11

What they should do is post the info, & fix the problem-not let it drag on week after week after week for a year like they have done with this pathetic email situation.

Neil
04-03-2004, 08:17
I really wish they'd sort things out now. Why is it NTL? Why aren't Telewest or Pipex or AOL or any other ISP having such problems as NTL???

Because they're not complete buffoons like ntl seem to be.

Jeez-a 'leading' ISP that has suffered mail outages on average every week for the last year-what does that say about ntl for starters?

Ben & I went to see Aizad about the mail issues-last September, he rang the head of the mail team in front of us & the guy said that they weren't/hadn't been suffering mail issues. :eek: We then presented him with the massive email thread that Ben printed off of .com, & suddenly there was silence on the end of the phone. :rolleyes:

Sadly Aizad never followed up the meeting as promised, & subsequently never replied to our emails after that. :dozey:

I honestly feel that those guys at the top really don't give a $hit about their customers, everyone is too busy covering their ar$e$ to have time for customer service.

Stuartbe
04-03-2004, 08:24
Because they're not complete buffoons like ntl seem to be.

Jeez-a 'leading' ISP that has suffered mail outages on average every week for the last year-what does that say about ntl for starters?

Ben & I went to see Aizad about the mail issues-last September, he rang the head of the mail team in front of us & the guy said that they weren't/hadn't been suffering mail issues. :eek: We then presented him with the massive email thread that Ben printed off of .com, & suddenly there was silence on the end of the phone. :rolleyes:

Sadly Aizad never followed up the meeting as promised, & subsequently never replied to our emails after that. :dozey:

I honestly feel that those guys at the top really don't give a $hit about their customers, everyone is too busy covering their ar$e$ to have time for customer service.

:tu: Yep..... They made no attempt to retain me as a customer !!

Only three weeks to go before I can get this NTL cancer removed from my life :)

Stephen
04-03-2004, 09:56
Cool just checked mail and they are back. woohoo!

threadbare
04-03-2004, 10:15
guys guys those of you complaining about the upgrades - why not wait untill they are complete before ranting? there is another 2 weeks of upgrades and maintainence to go before theya re completed!

threadbare
04-03-2004, 10:21

well said - would give u a rep but gotta spread it around first :D

Leedsman
04-03-2004, 10:40

I would prefer that NTL didnâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t have to keep apologising. You only have to look at the server status page to see that most days there is a problem somewhere in the country.

Neil
04-03-2004, 10:51
I would prefer that NTL didnâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t have to keep apologising. You only have to look at the server status page to see that most days there is a problem somewhere in the country.

I couldn't agree more.

This has been going on for about a year now.

We worked out that there has been an email issue on the server status page (& that's without taking into account when there are mail problems that don't appear on the SS page), on average once a week over the last year. :eek:

Now please tell me that is not pathetic......

threadbare
04-03-2004, 11:06
I just managed to log in to my emails after 4hours of trying and the 8 emails i had earlier today when i checked them at work have been deleted. One of them was a very important one as well that I never got to read. Am very ****ed off.
it wont have been deleted - if the mail server is down and contains that mail (they most likely have temp servers in place to take the load of the downed server) then u wont get that mail untill they bring the server back online

Neil
04-03-2004, 11:08
Peeps-please be aware that I will soon be merging this email thread with the other email thread that we currently have running.

foxtrot_yankee
04-03-2004, 13:31
4 March 2004 10:15

ntl Home - All Packages - Mail Service (Resolved)
ntlhome internet customers may be experiencing 'time out' errors when attempting to send email using the ntlworld email service.

Our engineers are currently investigating the issue.

This has now been resolved
Resolved my arse!!!!!! I've had this problem for months and checking my emails right now confirms that I still have this problem. So how annoying is it to read that "This has now been resolved" when clearly sweet f*ck all has been resolved??!?!

Neil
04-03-2004, 13:39
Resolved my arse!!!!!! I've had this problem for months and checking my emails right now confirms that I still have this problem. So how annoying is it to read that "This has now been resolved" when clearly sweet f*ck all has been resolved??!?!

Very?

Stuartbe
04-03-2004, 13:59
NTL - Tomorows technology today...... :rolleyes:

Perhaps they will get the servers sorted soon. I spotted an NTL van picking up hamsters at the local pet shop so it should not be long. :D

poolking
04-03-2004, 16:54
Very?

foxtrot_yankee
04-03-2004, 17:12
:rofl:I'm not laughing mate. He's right. It is very annoying.

Download Failed (1)

Neil
04-03-2004, 17:19
I'm not laughing mate. He's right. It is very annoying.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gordon.y/ntl-crap-email.gif

It's also completely pathetic that a (supposedly major) ISP can't offer a reliable email service consistantly (although not surprising where ntl are concerned I'm afraid)

But it's ok-they've got a million BB customers (alledgedly), so they must be doing things right. :dozey:

foxtrot_yankee
05-03-2004, 03:01
4 March 2004 15:13

The ntlworld email service will be unavailable to some customers between 0100 and 0500 on Friday 5th March.

This is to allow essential maintenance work on the email servers to improve the performance of the email service.

This outage will affect 30% of ntlworld email accounts, including dial up, broadband and Freedom customers.

Any emails sent to your account during this time will be available to you once the email servers are available on Friday morning from 0500am.

Will this finally sort out my timeout problems?
Place your bets now! (if you're awake)

2 hrs left.

th'engineer
05-03-2004, 06:48
Well not impressed with the e-mail all my accounts are down what a rubbish service.

Improved :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Neil
05-03-2004, 08:27
Well not impressed with the e-mail all my accounts are down what a rubbish service.

Improved :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

M8-this (http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37) is all you need-say no to the woe, & vote with your feet!

foxtrot_yankee
05-03-2004, 12:36
Will this finally sort out my timeout problems?
Place your bets now! (if you're awake)

2 hrs left.
Did it improve anything? Did it f.....

If you thought it would, you were wrong!

Stuartbe
05-03-2004, 12:40
I think that the current vote speaks for itself !

zoombini
05-03-2004, 13:04
I just tried the add email account page to use another of my 15 accounts & got denied with:
Your browser has issued a request that the registration server has denied.
Please contact ntl customer support if the problem persists. ???

Tried several times.

iadom
05-03-2004, 15:55
HAS email gorn orf again? Was working fine until half an hour ago now dead.

poolking
06-03-2004, 17:11
Here we frigging go again, email not working again, slow browsing and on another note England are playing crap against Ireland!! :mad:

foxtrot_yankee
06-03-2004, 22:17
Email for me still isn't working.

What a shambles.

Timeout after timeout after timeout after timeout.....

Stuartbe
06-03-2004, 22:19
Email for me still isn't working.

What a shambles.

Timeout after timeout after timeout after timeout.....

You could try changing your mail settings to :-

smtp.wecantbebotheredwithemail.com

pop.whocaresifyougetyourmail.com

Works for me :D

poolking
08-03-2004, 23:20
So is this going to be regular occurence between 11pm and 7 am?

Email has just gone off again.

threadbare
08-03-2004, 23:30
So is this going to be regular occurence between 11pm and 7 am?

Email has just gone off again.
yes, until they finish the upgrades

MovedGoalPosts
08-03-2004, 23:34
yes, until they finish the upgrades

Makes it a bit pointless subscribing to threads on here to help watch for changes to them :shrug:

poolking
08-03-2004, 23:35
So how long is it going to take to do these upgrades?

Neil
09-03-2004, 19:27
Oh dear.....:rolleyes:

ntlhome Internet - Email

9 March 2004 18:03

Ntlhome Broadband Internet customers may be experiencing intermittent problems receiving/sending email at present, this is because of a technical fault.

Our engineers are aware of this issue and working on a resolution. :dozey:

We would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused.

:zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Charlie_Bubble
09-03-2004, 19:31
This morning I checked my emails through the webmail at work. I had 3 actual emails and about 10 spam emails. I deleted the spam and logged out. Later I logged in, deleted another couple of spam and logged out. In the afternoon I logged in and my emails had gone and there were just 2 spam emails there! I was annoyed as one of the emails was a receipt for an online order.

I get home this evening and the 3 emails are back again!! WTF????

threadbare
09-03-2004, 21:38
This morning I checked my emails through the webmail at work. I had 3 actual emails and about 10 spam emails. I deleted the spam and logged out. Later I logged in, deleted another couple of spam and logged out. In the afternoon I logged in and my emails had gone and there were just 2 spam emails there! I was annoyed as one of the emails was a receipt for an online order.

I get home this evening and the 3 emails are back again!! WTF????
there is an intermitent problem atm which possibly means a mail server went offline with the others sharing the load. your mails would have likely been on the affected mailserver and would have re-appeared when this was brought back online.

xtopher
11-03-2004, 16:44
Apparently NTL have spent the last week 'upgrading their e mail system'. I am in the Bracknell area. Has anyone noticed any improvement!? Mine has never been so bad - come on NTL tell us WHAT the improvements are 'cos I am under the impression it was a customer improvement thing.

xtopher:td:

Neil
11-03-2004, 16:55
Apparently NTL have spent the last week 'upgrading their e mail system'. I am in the Bracknell area. Has anyone noticed any improvement!? Mine has never been so bad - come on NTL tell us WHAT the improvements are 'cos I am under the impression it was a customer improvement thing.

ntl don't communicate with their (wage paying) customers 'Xtopher'.

You should really know that by now. ;)

Welcome to nthw too. :)

Mick
11-03-2004, 16:57

Hi xtopher & Welcome to nthellworld.co.uk :welcome:

The upgrades have been going on for a while now, since February at least, I usually see the password box every other day, last week a mate of mine mailed me and I never received the mail, I've told him not to use that email address anymore as its increasingly becoming unreliable, a mail about these mail problems went to Aizad Hussain, MD for ntl:home and it was ignored.:mad:

Neil
11-03-2004, 17:04
a mail about these mail problems went to Aizad Hussain, MD for ntl:home and it was ignored.:mad:

More than one if I'm not mistaken m8. :rolleyes:

I know I sent several, I'm pretty sure you did, & I'm fairly sure that Ben did too. :dozey:

No reply/explanation-nothing. :afire:

Mick
11-03-2004, 17:14
More than one if I'm not mistaken m8. :rolleyes:

I know I sent several, I'm pretty sure you did, & I'm fairly sure that Ben did too. :dozey:

No reply/explanation-nothing. :afire:
Yes I sent the below mail on the below date:-

----- Original Message -----
To: aizad.hussain@ntl.com (aizad.hussain@ntl.com)
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 6:28 PM
Subject: Re: Mail

Hi Aizad,

I would also like to point out that customers are complaining
in droves to the bbc watchdog site about this, this is still a
very ongoing problem I am afraid. Customers are beginning
to think nobody at ntl cares.

Kind Regards,

Mick
nthw Administrator.
www.nthellworld.com (http://www.nthellworld.com)

:rolleyes:

th'engineer
23-03-2004, 02:44
Have they used the e-mail servers to sort the proxies out

There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your User Name was rejected. Account: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Server: '127.0.0.1', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Cannot connect to the host', Port: 5100, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC91

David25
23-03-2004, 08:41
Why is the server 127.0.0.1?

theman
23-03-2004, 08:45
i went onto it yesterday to see my other message i was appalled by the speed spam and i am wondering what was the upgrade about as far as i can see it was a downgrade it is about time ntl got in with another e.mail provider like yahoo bt have done it and they are offerinf free spam protection and virus protection. i am certain ntl can do something like that instead of offering discounts on spam protection and virus protection no iit is a big thumbs down for ntl webmail in marks out of ten minus 10

Simply Gray
23-03-2004, 09:46
I am getting the message:

"This Message was undeliverable due to the following reason:

Your message was not delivered because the return address was refused.

The return address was '<Valid.Address@NTLWorld.com>'

Please reply to Postmaster@ntlworld.com if you feel this message to be in error."

Does anyone know what has happened?

Maggy
23-03-2004, 12:26
I see that the email is up the poke again on the server status page.I have been trying to get an email from one site for three days through my Yahoo mail but as yahoo is also poked I decided to change the addy to my ntl dial up addy.Why when I'm having email issues somewhere else does NTL add to my woes?There is money involved here!!!
It's as if they have a sixth sense.

Neil
23-03-2004, 14:35
What a surprise........:rolleyes:

ntl Home - All Packages - E Mail Service

23 March 2004 12:12

ntlHome Internet customers using the Ntlworld Mail service may be experiencing problems accessing the service, this is because of a technical fault. Our engineers are aware of this issue and working on a resolution.

Change the record ntl.....:zzz:

Toreador
23-03-2004, 14:35
OK, email up the spout again, nothing new - but...
I've just logged onto my Webmail account, and there are three messages there. This morning, there were approximately 350!!
I'm hoping the missing ones will come back when the problems have been fixed - but this happened to me a couple of years ago, fewer emails involved, but they were lost permanently.
Any ideas? Other than 'find a new ISP' which is what I'll certainly be doing if the emails are gone forever :(

Neil
23-03-2004, 14:37
How old were they?

Mails over a certain age get deleted automatically.

Toreador
23-03-2004, 14:40
I know about the 90 day thing, I've been bitten by that before.
But some of these were received as recently as this morning, only a handful at most could possibly have been 90 days old.

sherer
23-03-2004, 14:45
the same thing happened to me today as well.. none of my mails were over 90 days old either :mad:

PeteB
23-03-2004, 18:46
My "missing" emails have now arrived!!!

Toreador
23-03-2004, 19:15
My missing ones have arrived, but everything received this afternoon has disappeared :mad:

Toreador
24-03-2004, 09:23
All emails sent to me between about 0800 and 1730 yesterday (23/03/04) have been lost - there were at least 20.
It looks like they hit problems and restored from yesterday morning's backup.
Has anybody else found this or is it just me?
(obviously if I'd downloaded my email during the afternoon I'd have been OK, but I can only access webmail during the day).

sherer
24-03-2004, 11:28
mine have come back now as welll think i might be missing some spam but not too bothered about that..

Toreador
24-03-2004, 11:30
Unfortunately as well as the spam I'm missing some important stuff.
No reply yet to my email to NTL support (no surprise there then), I'll try phoning tomorrow.

threadbare
24-03-2004, 12:36
Unfortunately as well as the spam I'm missing some important stuff.
No reply yet to my email to NTL support (no surprise there then), I'll try phoning tomorrow.
ntl still have an email problems so it is conceiveable that they still have a mail storage server offline. if this is so, then when it is brought back online the mail should re-appear

Toreador
24-03-2004, 12:41
ntl still have an email problems so it is conceiveable that they still have a mail storage server offline. if this is so, then when it is brought back online the mail should re-appear

I hope you're right. Though according to http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/lookup/default.asp the email problems are resolved.

Alanmelon
25-03-2004, 20:47
I know this has been done to death, and there are numerous old threads on the subject, but is anyone having problems with POP access to their ntl email account at the moment? Since last night, it only seems to download a couple of emails at a time at the most, then I get the following.

Anyone?

Tricky
25-03-2004, 20:50
Are you on dial or cable access?
I've not had problems with mail for ages
Do you use a virus scanner that checks your mail, this could be slowing it down and therefore causing a timeout in the mail client
What is your mail client - outlook can be tweaked to gain a greater timeout value

Alanmelon
25-03-2004, 20:54
Cable access. Yep, I'm using Norton Anti-Virus' built in e-mail scanner, which seems to take it's time.
Any suggestions (apart from "Don't use that it's sh**e")?

Tricky
25-03-2004, 20:55
Yep, I'm using Norton Anti-Virus' built in e-mail scanner, which seems to take it's time.
Any suggestions (apart from "Don't use that it's sh**e")?

Can you disable it (just the mail scanner) to test the download of your mail?

Alanmelon
25-03-2004, 21:01
Switched that off and I still get the same problem....how irritating. Thanks for the suggestions so far - keep 'em coming ;)

maverick
25-03-2004, 22:18
Check your e.mail via the webmail option from the ntlworld homepage to see exactly what mails are there and what size they are.
If they look ok and are not large in size i would try removing the account from outlook and adding a new one to refresh it.

Alanmelon
25-03-2004, 22:45
Rather annoyingly I have no idea whatsoever about my password for webmail, so it looks like a call to cs tomorrow for me :(

Alanmelon
26-03-2004, 18:39
Finally got into webmail, and whilst not a large e-mail, one in particular was causing a blockage :confused:
After deleting it, everything is fine, so rep for you my friend :)

poolking
26-03-2004, 18:48
Increase the timeout.

Alanmelon
26-03-2004, 19:18
I did that and it didn't make a difference.

poolking
26-03-2004, 19:22
Try setting it to 10 minutes, no joke, I have set on that at the moment, just in case. :)

theman
26-03-2004, 21:00
have you checked you have not click do not allow attachments to be open in case they have a virus that is in security but it could be norton i had the same trouble with mcafee

swoop101
27-03-2004, 11:24
Oh yeh, well I have just received 20 emails dated 4 days ago.

For gods sake the royal mail are faster than that. :mad:

theman
27-03-2004, 12:27

Chris W
27-03-2004, 13:10

they did indeed have one offline... a backup server was put in place, hence the disappearing mails... is anyone still having problems today?

Neil
27-03-2004, 17:32
OK, email up the spout again, nothing new - but...
I've just logged onto my Webmail account, and there are three messages there. This morning, there were approximately 350!!
I'm hoping the missing ones will come back when the problems have been fixed - but this happened to me a couple of years ago, fewer emails involved, but they were lost permanently.
Any ideas? Other than 'find a new ISP' which is what I'll certainly be doing if the emails are gone forever :(

*Sigh*.......

Surprise surprise.....:dozey:

Didn't take them too long to acknowledge the problem then...:rolleyes:

ntlworld Email service

27 March 2004 10:12

ntl internet customers on all packages may currently be unable to access some or all of their incoming email accounts, or may find that unread email and mail saved in webmail has temporarily disappeared.

This is due to a problem with one of our email servers.

Our engineers are aware and are working towards a resolution as soon as possible.

IanUK
05-04-2004, 16:39
Hi,

For the last hour or so any emails I send are not going anywhere it seems, no one is receiving them - I tried a few tests to other email accounts I have as well and they are not arriving - is anyone else having problems with NTL's SMTP server ?

Neil
05-04-2004, 16:42
Moved to email discussion forum.

IanUK
05-04-2004, 16:45
Seems I'm not receiving any either now :(

Has it all gone up the spout...?

iadom
05-04-2004, 16:51
Just sent a test message to my Zen dial up account. was a little slow going but came through seconds later.

Manchester Area.

eastwind
12-04-2004, 08:28
Last night and now this morning, sending email is VERY slow, they are sent in the end, but it took a minute to connect and more time to think about it before they are sent. Nothing said on the server status, guess they are all off during Easter Holidays !!

Paul
12-04-2004, 12:01
My monitor of NTL SMTP has been showing regular timeouts for the last few days.

lemarsh
13-04-2004, 20:37
Is anyone else having problems with email today?

Can't see any mention of it here, or on the server status on NTLWORLD, but have not been able to connect either through webmail or outlook all day

lemarsh

aliferste
13-04-2004, 20:39
Yup, not working for me!

paulyoung666
13-04-2004, 20:40
sweet from teesside my mate , i know that wont help you though :(

NoBB
13-04-2004, 22:34
On dialup - south london - extremely, extremely, slow - given up just now.:sleep:

fireman328
13-04-2004, 23:05
Working well here, lots of obscene spam as usual.

lemarsh
14-04-2004, 07:09
Still down for me - ex C&W in Surrey:mad: :mad: :mad:

NoBB
14-04-2004, 09:38
Went into webmail 9 minutes ago - still waiting on inboxscreen appearing!! I'll let you know how long it takes!

What is wrong with the email. They should have left it alone! It ten times worse since they upgraded it.:td: :td: :td:

oops - quick edit... it's now gone completely! Oh well, I'll try later.

Tezcatlipoca
14-04-2004, 20:31
My NTL email has been particularly slow today, & yesterday. Sending email is especially slow.

susie r
14-04-2004, 21:24
Has anyone else had an e-mail from ntl support today ??? I just recieved this and think it's very badly worded, or is it me, see what you think.

Dear user, the management of Ntlworld.com mailing system wants to let you know that,

Our main mailing server will be temporary unavaible for next two days,
to continue receiving mail in these days you have to configure our free
auto-forwarding service.

For further details see the attach.

The Management,
The Ntlworld.com team http://www.ntlworld.com

poolking
14-04-2004, 21:29
That sounds more like a virus email.

susie r
14-04-2004, 21:35
That sounds more like a virus email.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, although the link is valid..........

poolking
14-04-2004, 21:49
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, although the link is valid..........
Even so, it is the attachment that would set the alarm bells ringing for me. Also the mis-spelling of the email.

threadbare
14-04-2004, 21:52
sounds like a variant of the beagle to me. there is no such address as support@ntlworld.com if thats where it claims to come from

APS
15-04-2004, 09:34
Just received an email this morning at work sent from an NTL home account that got stuck in NTLs email servers for ~16 hours. Part of headers are:

Received: from queue2-win.server.ntlworld.com (HELO queue2-svc.ntlworld.com) (62.253.162.222)

by server-21.tower-32.messagelabs.com with SMTP; 15 Apr 200401:14:42 -0000

Received: from XXXX ([82.2.175.XX]) by mta03-svc.ntlworld.com

(InterMail vM.4.01.03.37 201-229-121-137-20020806) with SMTP

id <20040414094442.STSH23757.mta03-svc.ntlworld.com@andrew>

for <andrew@xxxxx.co.uk>; Wed, 14 Apr 200410:44:42 +0100

Message-ID: <000a01c42205$86703d20$a27ba8c0@andrew>

Ironically a message sent only minutes before came straight through.
Looks like that either they don't monitor the queues well or they are still working on the servers and had some offline for some time.

APS

paulyoung666
16-04-2004, 17:44
have ntl's e-mail servers just fallen over again :mad:

bertJ
16-04-2004, 17:56
ntl e mail and web mail dead again. No mention on status page or status phone line.

Neil
16-04-2004, 18:13
ntl e mail and web mail dead again. No mention on status page or status phone line.

Not even on their brand spanking, sparkly new, all singing/all dancing, still got a link to NTHW.com, Server Status Page?

What a surprise (not) :rolleyes:

Cable Guy
16-04-2004, 18:18
I had a little problem with my e-mail about 5 minutes ago but after running the broadband medic its all perfect again. Really good software that, fixes browser conflicts and all sorts.

paulyoung666
16-04-2004, 19:49
fixed :)

Maggy
16-04-2004, 20:29
Mails been out for a couple of hours as far as I can judge.Just got a backlog from here. :)

Incog.

ntlrocks
17-04-2004, 17:02
my ntl: mail has never worked, i can't recieve e-mails at all ... ever

paulyoung666
17-04-2004, 17:08
my ntl: mail has never worked, i can't recieve e-mails at all ... ever

and you have rung them up and asked them why havent you ;)

ntlrocks
17-04-2004, 17:15
:erm: nope, anyone else have this problem, its not the main address of the account, but even when i try to e-mail myself from another address (to test of course) i get "failed".

paulyoung666
17-04-2004, 17:33
:erm: nope, anyone else have this problem, its not the main address of the account, but even when i try to e-mail myself from another address (to test of course) i get "failed".

sounds as though it isnt properly set up then :(

ntl customer
17-04-2004, 17:36
fixed :)

*cynical mode on*

Not for long though. It'll probably fall over again sooner or later :rolleyes:

*cynical mode off*

poolking
17-04-2004, 17:45
I hadn't realised they'd upgraded their server status page and it looks like they're attempting to give a bit more info on each fault.

ntl customer
17-04-2004, 18:16
I hadn't realised they'd upgraded their server status page and it looks like they're attempting to give a bit more info on each fault.
Well at least it's a step in the right direction :)

Now they just need to remove that link to nthellworld.com and also update that copyright notice. Oh, and keep the page updated. :D

mnw21cam
18-04-2004, 13:01
Well at least it's a step in the right direction :)

Now they just need to remove that link to nthellworld.com and also update that copyright notice. Oh, and keep the page updated. :D
And accessible. For some reason that the NTL denies all knowlege of, I cannot access the NTL status page (along with www.ntl.co.uk) from my home cable modem, although I can access it fine from my work computer. Mind you, they denied all knowledge of the email problems over the past couple of weeks too, and I still have some test messages that haven't emerged from their outgoing server yet.

threadbare
18-04-2004, 17:18
hmmm, a couple of ppl with email problems does not an ntl email problem make :D usually mail outages are big news on this board but there hasnt been any outages as such over the last few weeks

paulyoung666
18-04-2004, 17:21
hmmm, a couple of ppl with email problems does not an ntl email problem make :D usually mail outages are big news on this board but there hasnt been any outages as such over the last few weeks

i had one the other day and it only lasted an hour or so , i must admit they do seem to be improving , hope i aint put me foot in it now :D :D :D :D

threadbare
18-04-2004, 17:25
i had one the other day and it only lasted an hour or so , i must admit they do seem to be improving , hope i aint put me foot in it now :D :D :D :Dat least these problems are very brief (touch wood) and nothing like the problem of old :)

paulyoung666
18-04-2004, 17:30
at least these problems are very brief (touch wood) and nothing like the problem of old :)

i am touching every bit of wood , including my head :D :D :D :D :D

th'engineer
18-04-2004, 21:34
it was better more reliable but things do not seem to have lasted

Sipowicz
18-04-2004, 21:57
Just got back from a weekend away; downloading my e-mail (99.5% Spam probably!) status bar in Outlook says:

"receiving 13 of 578 - time remaining 37 hours"

mmmmmmmmmm.........

bertJ
19-04-2004, 19:25
e mail dead again tonight, as usual no mention on status page or status line.

paulyoung666
19-04-2004, 19:36
look sas though they have fallen over again , asking repeatedly for password :(

Sipowicz
19-04-2004, 20:39
Just got back from a weekend away; downloading my e-mail (99.5% Spam probably!) status bar in Outlook says:

"receiving 13 of 578 - time remaining 37 hours"

mmmmmmmmmm.........

When it did eventually finish (lunchtime today!!) it recorded errors?? (Oh and yes, I was right 99.5% Spam - some going back to last Thursday, even though I went through this last Thursday evening(?))

From lunchtime to this evening, it was reading x of 241 - time remaining 41 hours. (those that it did download were, as before, dated for last Thursday(?)

It now reads 1 of 208, but no estimate of time.....

What I have noticed is that when telling Norton AntiSpam that it let Spam through, I get a pop up box that tells me that a programme is trying to access my Outlook address book and do i want it to, as it could be a virus (of course I say no).
My Norton AV is up to date, I did a full scan last night and just finished running Spybot - no threats found in either case. I have not opened any e-mail or attachments that I am not expecting. As well as Norton Security 2004, Spybot and the XP firewall, I have a firewall in the router. Have I been got at? Anyone with any clues?

willo
22-04-2004, 17:31
I've sent several emails this afternoon and they have not been delivered. If I send them via another service (not smtp.ntlworld.com) then they get delivered ok. Anyone know of any problems causing this?
Outlook XP reports this:
http://willcurrie.com/smtp.gif
The email seems to get sent but not delivered.

Mike Harrison
24-04-2004, 22:53
Anyone else seen smtp.ntlworld.com not sending mails recently? I've had at least 2 emails disappear in the last couple of days with no error or bounce messages..

swoop101
24-04-2004, 23:05
They will turn up over the next day or so, if the system runs to form.
I have been getting delayed messages for the last few days.

If they don't arrive, ring them up on Monday to complain.

abailey152
24-04-2004, 23:28
Not sure about "lost" emails, but the SMTP server has been slooooowww for about a week. Some days it's been taking ages to actually send something.

APS
26-04-2004, 09:19
I posted on this before - see below evidence of NTL mailservers holding onto mail for over 3 days! Can anyone suggest where I can send this to, such that someone in the know might use the evidence to hunt down the problem and fix it once and for all.

APS
====

Received: from queue2-win.server.ntlworld.com (HELO queue2-svc.ntlworld.com) (62.253.162.222) by server-21.tower-32.messagelabs.com with SMTP; 26 Apr 2004 04:13:38 -0000
Received: from andrew ([81.98.XXX.XXX]) by mta07-svc.ntlworld.com
(InterMail vM.4.01.03.37 201-229-121-137-20020806) with SMTP
id <20040422213418.STOF1587.mta07-svc.ntlworld.com@andrew>
for <me!>; Thu, 22 Apr 2004 22:34:18 +0100

Paul
26-04-2004, 09:35
The most likely cause is that it couldn't contact the messagelabs server on Thursday so it queued it up to try later and finally got through on the Monday - after a few quick tries the retry rate on delayed messages usually falls to about once a day.

APS
26-04-2004, 10:30
I would doubt whether not being able to get through to Messagelabs (who have tens of parallel servers) would be anyone elses fault but NTLs. As happened before I sent several emails over a few minutes to the same recipient and most arrived within a few minutes or so but one got stuck.

APS

shin0r
26-04-2004, 15:23
ntl have tens of parallel servers too, doesn't stop traffic saturating pipes and/or servers though.

Paul
26-04-2004, 15:41
I would doubt whether not being able to get through to Messagelabs (who have tens of parallel servers) would be anyone elses fault but NTLs. As happened before I sent several emails over a few minutes to the same recipient and most arrived within a few minutes or so but one got stuck.

APS

Unless you are suggesting that there is a direct link between NTL & Message labs servers then I think you will find there is a lot of Network between them that can cause a problem. :)

APS
26-04-2004, 16:45
OK, but it is strange that I often see these long delays on emails coming into my work account, via Messagelabs, from NTL more or less alone and only in recent weeks.

Often the delays are seen when NTL will be busy and the Messagelabs servers quiet (ML being a business service), e.g. evenings.

I would say the problem is therefore more likely in NTLs network or backbone link.

Even if you accept that two servers might not be able to make a connection sometimes the retry algorithm cannot be too clever if it ends up delaying an email transmission by 3.5 days.

APS

paulyoung666
26-04-2004, 17:01
did anyone have a weird time over the weekend with ntl mail , i dl'ed my mail and then a couple of minutes later i dl'ed the same mail and then again :Yikes: , seems fine now :disturbd:

SMHarman
26-04-2004, 17:33
their smtp servers have been a bit funny.

I just got a message sent via them
sent 22/4 at 17:15
recd 25/4 at 05:17

Second class mail is quicker.

Other mails have bypassed this one and got here quickly!

Maggy
26-04-2004, 17:50
Errrr...I've been getting my email notifications out of order of time for the past 4 days.

iadom
27-04-2004, 19:11
I have had several sent e-mails that seem to have gone down a black hole recently so I have question.

I have Ntl BB and also a Zen dial up account ( had it over 8 years)
Since I had BB installed over two years ago my settings in Outlook Express are as follows;
Ntl Account (set as default) Servers..POP3.. pop.ntlworld.com
SMTP.. smtp.ntlworld.com

Zen Account Servers POP3.. mailhost.zen.co.uk
SMTP..smtp.ntlworld.com

Apart from the awful mail problems last year this set up has worked OK

If I set my Zen Account as default, change its SMTP back to mailhost.zen.co.uk,
Then change my Ntl account SMTP to mailhost.zen.co.uk,

Will this work using my BB connection.? :dunce:

iadom
27-04-2004, 20:12
OK, I tried that and got an error message from zen server. error 550 "you are not allowed to talk to me":(

Is there anyway I can use the Zen SMTP servers with my Ntl BB connection.??