PDA

View Full Version : Cure for mouth ulcers.

Russ
04-02-2004, 19:46
Not sure how or why this works, but it does.

Ulcers normally last from about 7 to 10 days. 'Traditional' cures like salt, aftershave etc simply don't work as you're placing acidic substances directly on to a nerve.

No, what you should use is a shaving stick, you can get them from chemists and supermarkets for about a pound, you normally use them to cover shaving cuts. Simply apply the stick to the ulcer at least 5 or 6 times a day (the more often the better) and after 24 hours the ulcer will be just about gone. The stick will leave you a nasty taste for a few minutes but it won't hurt.

Try it. It works! :)

kronas
04-02-2004, 19:47
bonjella works fine russ :D

Xaccers
04-02-2004, 19:50
Aftershave is a traditional cure for mouth ulcers???

Maggy
04-02-2004, 19:54
I'll stick with Bonjella thanks.I really don't want shaving stick in my mouth thank you.

Russ
04-02-2004, 19:55
bonjella works fine russ :D

Yep, only it stings when you put it on, the ulcer still takes days to clear up AND it's more expensive :)

Kneebs
04-02-2004, 19:55
Aftershave is a traditional cure for mouth ulcers???

Sounds like a painfull cure if you ask me !!

kronas
04-02-2004, 19:57
Yep, only it stings when you put it on

true

are you soft ? a bit of pain never hurt anyone......... :D

the ulcer still takes days to clear up AND it's more expensive :)

never had that problem, once applied it takes hours or even a day to clear.

im not too fussy about expense, as long as it works its worth it IMO a product such as that is worth paying for.

Russ
04-02-2004, 20:01
So you agree Bongella hurts and costs more but you'd still prefer to use it....that's up to you then.....:)

Shaun
04-02-2004, 20:01
It work's because its an astringent (like salt), but I wouldn't recommend it, I'm unsure what chemicals they use in the sticks and whether its safe to put in your mouth.

Bonjella or Rinstead pastels both work for me :)

Dave Stones
04-02-2004, 20:02
i will just use the usual method of using a sterilised needle and putting up with the "pain" :erm:

Shaun
04-02-2004, 20:04
sterilised needle

:eek: :eek: :eek: WTF

paulyoung666
04-02-2004, 20:08

Ulcers normally last from about 7 to 10 days. 'Traditional' cures like salt, aftershave etc simply don't work as you're placing acidic substances directly on to a nerve.

No, what you should use is a shaving stick, you can get them from chemists and supermarkets for about a pound, you normally use them to cover shaving cuts. Simply apply the stick to the ulcer at least 5 or 6 times a day (the more often the better) and after 24 hours the ulcer will be just about gone. The stick will leave you a nasty taste for a few minutes but it won't hurt.

is this a welsh only thing or what :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:sorry: russ

kronas
04-02-2004, 20:08
So you agree Bongella hurts and costs more but you'd still prefer to use it....that's up to you then.....:)

it stings russ so what ?

cost should not be an issue, when it comes to health, after its is the most important thing, your health, i know strictly this is not really life threatening etc, but you catch my drift. :)

Graham
04-02-2004, 20:12
I would suggest popping into your local Boots/ Pharmacists and getting some Anbesol [1]

I occasionaly get mouth ulcers and find it's very effective for removing the pain (very useful if you like Marmite!)

Aftershave? Ye gods, you'd have to be a serious masochist IMO!

[1] NB Don't mistake this for Anusol which is an *entirely* different product!

zoombini
05-02-2004, 08:37
What makes me wonder, is how Russ came to find this out?

What made you want to stick this thing in your mouth in the first place?

Was your tongue all hairy or someting...lol

Dave Stones
05-02-2004, 09:11
:eek: :eek: :eek: WTF

it works ;)

does for blisters and anything else that needs popping as welll...

luftys
05-02-2004, 10:05
Natural Yoghurt works for me :D

paulyoung666
05-02-2004, 10:12
i think i will stick with not having mouth ulcers :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Enterian
05-02-2004, 10:19
I'll stick to my tried and trusted method - copious quantities of alcohol - doesn't cure the ulcer, but stops you caring about it! :naughty: :drunk:

Ramrod
05-02-2004, 10:33
[1] NB Don't mistake this for Anusol which is an *entirely* different product!
:rofl: Thats what I misread it as for a second :eek: :D

gallego1
05-02-2004, 10:34
I would suggest popping into your local Boots/ Pharmacists and getting some Anbesol [1]

Adcortyl is another one

SMHarman
05-02-2004, 10:36

Windex :rofl:

gary_580
05-02-2004, 10:40
Rinstead pastelles work for me. No pain and they taste good too

gary_580
05-02-2004, 10:42
Windex :rofl:

Lmao what a funny film that was too!!!

Ramrod
05-02-2004, 10:54
'Course it's better to avoid (http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/features/mouth_ulcers.shtml) getting them in the first place. :)
Some toothpastes and mouthwashes (http://www.animated-teeth.com/canker_sores/t1_canker_sores.htm) have also been implicated- those containing Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (caution-popups!)

Wolf
05-02-2004, 11:21
Wow Russ gives a piece of useful information to help his fellow man and he got run down. shame on all of you

Theodoric
05-02-2004, 13:23
It work's because its an astringent (like salt), but I wouldn't recommend it, I'm unsure what chemicals they use in the sticks and whether its safe to put in your mouth.

Bonjella or Rinstead pastels both work for me :)
Russ would seem to be referring to a styptic pencil, the active component of which, IIRC, is alum (potassium aluminium sulphate). I don't think it would be harmful in small amounts, although I wouldn't recommend chewing the stick (remember the Camelford incident - aluminium sulphate or something).

I have used them in the past but I prefer the small piece of toilet paper (unused!) stuck over the nick - as long as you remember to remove it before you leave the house.

spacedhopper
05-02-2004, 13:41
I swear by myrrh tincture for mouth ulcers, stings a bit, but works very fast. See here for more info: http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs_myrrh.htm

willo
05-02-2004, 20:38
Tcp

dave 100
12-11-2010, 18:56
I am a pro at having mouth ulcers forget all the over the counter cures nothing works trust me i have tried them all at great expence.

only real help is tcp it tastes like sh&t smells like sh%t but it does work but a warning it stings like hell and your breath would knock a fly of a christmas cake at 10 paces.

hope this helps

Kymmy
12-11-2010, 19:25
3 things...

1# Welcome to the forum
2# This is a family friendly forum so we prefer you do not try to bypass the swear filter
3# This is a 6 year old thread ;)