PDA

View Full Version : ntl at their best...

Neil
02-02-2004, 19:57
We received this from a guy called John via the website feedback, & boy does it make scary reading.....

Hi!

This is highly embarassing but I just wonder if anybody else has made the stupid mistake I have. I received a sales call from NTL (Incidentally I am listed with the Telephone Preference service which basically means that Sales Marketing firms should consult this data list and if you are on it and they call you it could lead to them being prosecuted) Anyway getting back to my terrible bloomer. I had one of these sales guys (who I could just about understand, it really did sound like he was phoning from India) rambling on about how good NTL was and how I was missing out terribly and that I should...etc.

In the patter he asked for my card details. I was reluctant to give them out. However I always like to look into a subject to see if another service could offer a better deal. He said that in order to send details he would first need my card details to set this in motion.Guess what I did? Yes! I gave them to him. Big Mistake!

Anyway I didn't hear from NTL for quite sometime (weeks)and yet the sales guy said he would call in a couple days to chat further as to whether I would like to go ahead.

Some time later I receive a letter from NTL congratulating on selecting their service!

Alarmed I rang up NTL and the girl there told me not to worry she would cancel it and I was to tear up the letter which I did

About a month later I receive a telephone connection box and another letter of congratulation. I just put it aside and left it.

I didn't really think any more about it until I looked at my bank statement to notice that NTL had actually debitted my account. I was shocked since I had not agreed to use the service nor indeed did I use the service. A further shock came when it was revealed that they had taken a debit the month before!!

So all in all they have taken from me £30.00 for the NTL freedom package I don't need.

I have tried to contact NTL and I have left my number but as yet after weeks nobody has called. I have emailed them and received an acknowledgement of my email but no correspondence since and that was over a week ago. I am not going to go on as I think from what I am reading on the net the NTL customer Service is absolutely deplorable.

Anyway at this stage I simply want my money back.

i have put a stop to all future debits through my bank.

Incidentally I have Telco box for cheap calls on my BT line and on my other line I have Telewest Talkfree so what the devil do I want with NTL???

So has anybody else had an experience like this

I call this fraud

and it would seem NTL is unconcerned

Regards

John

Paul
02-02-2004, 20:51
What on earth possed him to give his card details :eek:

Stuartbe
02-02-2004, 21:03

:confused: Why ??? To NTL !!!

albone
02-02-2004, 21:10
A call to oftel sounds in order. But there is a moral in this story! NEVER EVER give out your card number over the phone!! :naughty:

Sociable
02-02-2004, 21:31
Simple explanation of the Telephone Preference service not being applied is that overseas call centres are not covered by the regulations AFAIK, though I am sure any UK based company could find themselves in trouble for relying on this now the whole issue of the impact of outsourcing is likely to be under review by the government.

trebor
02-02-2004, 22:05

OH!!! my, you should never give your bank details to ntl not even if you want a service from them. it will only end in disaster.

poolking
02-02-2004, 23:55
A call to oftel sounds in order. But there is a moral in this story! NEVER EVER give out your card number over the phone!! :naughty:
Erm,

Ofcom. ;)

MovedGoalPosts
03-02-2004, 00:09
Is there not a "cooling off period" for services bought over the phone like there is with doorstep sales? If ntl haven't provided written contract details they must be in clear breach of consumer trading laws here. If paid for by Credit card, notify the CC company for assistance, they should be able to place the payment in dispute whilst contact is made with ntl.

Sales by phone is all about pressure by the unscrupulous on the unwary. Let this serve as a lesson to all. If you don't need something, dont let the phone conversation continue, put the phone down.

Mr Concerned
03-02-2004, 04:31
This relates to the Distance Selling Regulations, which covers telephone.
What are the variations to the cooling off period?

If you delay sending the required information to consumers after goods or services have been purchased then the cooling off period and the right to cancel is automatically extended by up to three months. The cooling off period will end seven working days after the information is received.

If you fail to send the required information to consumers at all then the cooling off period will last for three months plus seven working days.

How can consumers give notice of cancellation?

If your customer wishes to cancel the contract during the cooling off period then they must send you written notice of this and send it within the relevant period (a fax or email is sufficient).However there also appears to be gross misrepresentation.

Not so long ago, some of the power companies got up to similar tricks, saying that a signature was required to send further information out. The signature was in fact on a contract.

In all fairness to NTL, they cannot be aware of unscrupulous methods used by some sales teams who probably work on a low basic plus commission. However, NTL should rectifiy this pretty promptly, otherwise a call to Trading Standards would probably get a result.

Xaccers
03-02-2004, 05:03
Can someone for NTL comment on this as for some reason it's setting off my hoax alarm bells. Don't ask me why, just a gut feelling.

Macca
03-02-2004, 12:17
Can someone for NTL comment on this as for some reason it's setting off my hoax alarm bells. Don't ask me why, just a gut feelling.

No hoax, it's the ntl:freedom o/bound calling team based in India. These people are highly motivated to "sell", rigidly stick to a script and can be ruthless in their search for a sale like most o/bound sales companies. I am concerned by the amount of people who have given cc or bank details over the phone without consenting to the service as this is not the first time it has happened.

Stuartbe
03-02-2004, 13:24
No hoax, it's the ntl:freedom o/bound calling team based in India. These people are highly motivated to "sell", rigidly stick to a script and can be ruthless in their search for a sale like most o/bound sales companies. I am concerned by the amount of people who have given cc or bank details over the phone without consenting to the service as this is not the first time it has happened.

Wonder why they are calling someone who is registered on the Telephone pref. service. I know that the rules only apply in the U.K. but since the company making them is based in the U.K. should they not be brought to book ?

prolific8
03-02-2004, 13:47
I work indirectly for the TPS, if you PM me some details I might be able to help you in that respect.

Neil
03-02-2004, 13:50
I work indirectly for the TPS, if you PM me some details I might be able to help you in that respect.

What do you need?

PM me your contact details, & I will pass them onto 'John'.

threadbare
03-02-2004, 13:53
I had one of these sales guys (who I could just about understand, it really did sound like he was phoning from India) rambling on about how good NTL was and how I was missing out terribly and that I should...etc."

clearly this guy John did not understand what he was getting into, and hs probably signed up for somethging he clearly doesn't. Cold sales callers are usually sub contracted out to other firms - wouldn't be suprised if it was india they were calling from

Neil
03-02-2004, 13:55
clearly this guy John did not understand what he was getting into, and hs probably signed up for somethging he clearly doesn't. Cold sales callers are usually sub contracted out to other firms - wouldn't be suprised if it was india they were calling from

http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/showpost.php?p=129029&postcount=11 ;)

fireman328
03-02-2004, 17:24
I have just put the 'phone down after telling a female sales caller I did not wish to subscribe to NTL Plus.
I too am registered with TPS (Oh God how I wish there was an e-mail prefence service to prevent the messages asking if I want a larger pianist, 20 so far today. Do you think someone has put my name forward after seeing me in the changing room at the bowls club ?)

This caller was very polite and when I said I wasn't interested ended the call. I will of course be looking very closely at my next bill.

I wonder if it was the bowls club.....

:eeek:

Sociable
03-02-2004, 17:31
I wonder if it was the bowls club..... :eeek:

Jack didn't like being kissed by such a biased bowler maybe. :naughty:

SMHarman
03-02-2004, 18:33
I have just put the 'phone down after telling a female sales caller I did not wish to subscribe to NTL Plus.
I too am registered with TPS (Oh God how I wish there was an e-mail prefence service to prevent the messages asking if I want a larger pianist, 20 so far today. Do you think someone has put my name forward after seeing me in the changing room at the bowls club ?)

This caller was very polite and when I said I wasn't interested ended the call. I will of course be looking very closely at my next bill.

I wonder if it was the bowls club.....

:eeek:

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tpsr/html/ComplaintForm.asp