PDA

View Full Version : PC > Plasma/LCD TV?

Richard M
02-02-2004, 17:40
Hi guys, does anyone here run a PC through either a Plasma TV or a rear-projection LCD (one with a proper VGA input)?

I have a couple of questions about using it as a primary PC display which are:

1) Does it need "drivers" so the PC will recognize it as a widescreen display?
2) How would it cope with a 1024x768 resolution? Would it stretch it or display it in the proper 4:3 aspect?
I know that there is a resolution of about 13--x768 but I don't know how it would cope with games etc which only seem to use 4:3.
3) Is the picture quality worth it?

Thanks to anyone who can help. :tu: :)

Chris
02-02-2004, 17:44
Hi guys, does anyone here run a PC through either a Plasma TV or a rear-projection LCD (one with a proper VGA input)?

I have a couple of questions about using it as a primary PC display which are:

1) Does it need "drivers" so the PC will recognize it as a widescreen display?
2) How would it cope with a 1024x768 resolution? Would it stretch it or display it in the proper 4:3 aspect?
I know that there is a resolution of about 13--x768 but I don't know how it would cope with games etc which only seem to use 4:3.
3) Is the picture quality worth it?

Thanks to anyone who can help. :tu: :)

without being an expert, I can say that TV resolution is way below a computer monitor, and every PC display I've ever seen through a plasma screen has looked bitty and stretched widthways. Additionally, plasma screens are, I'm told, a poor deal as you have to get them recharged with gas every 5 years, which can be expensive.

Richard M
02-02-2004, 17:57
Yeah, that's why I asked questions 1 and 2, the 4:3 image getting stretched is really horrible.
I'm more than likely going to get an LCD rear projection (having gotten bored with 32" CRT).

Xaccers
02-02-2004, 18:07
Just pick a widescreen resolution on your PC

like 1280x768

Modern games should also be able to handle this

Richard M
02-02-2004, 18:37
:dunce: I forgot about that one...

I know from experience that if the TV widescreen mode is set to "auto" then it will automatically change to 16:9 when you view full screen in Media Player etc.

A nice TV with one of these (http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/product.php?subcat=71) sitting underneath (containing a Radeon AIW, DVD-Rom, Audigy 2) and some of these (http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/product.php?view=4147) will be perfect for a minimalist entertainment system, with the bonus of gaming, web and email on the TV... :D :cool: