PDA

View Full Version : emails gone?

SOSAGES
02-02-2004, 09:29
Hi all,

my father uses ntlworld for his emails he normally checks them online using the webmail and deletes the ones he dosnt want but he keeps about 10 of them as he needs them.

as of saturday there are no emails on his webmail...

i think ntl delete them after its unread for 90 days but he had read them and had kept some for a long long time..

anyone have a clue or who i can talk to ?

Thanks if u can help

Sociable
02-02-2004, 09:48
Hi all,

my father uses ntlworld for his emails he normally checks them online using the webmail and deletes the ones he dosnt want but he keeps about 10 of them as he needs them.

as of saturday there are no emails on his webmail...

i think ntl delete them after its unread for 90 days but he had read them and had kept some for a long long time..

anyone have a clue or who i can talk to ?

Thanks if u can help

AFAIK It is not just unread mail that gets deleted now the solution being to download and store any messages on your own PC.

The other possibility is that the specific server holding the stored emails was down and they will reappear once that specific server comes back on line if so maybe get dad to access the account using outlook or another mail client and keep a backup for safety.

If they have been deleted from the server I doubt they can be retrieved unless the sender retained a copy.

SOSAGES
02-02-2004, 10:01
well he asked NTL if they would be deleted and they said no as long as they were READ they would be safe.

he also uses outlook 2003 at work to check them but Always leaves a copy on the server or uses imap to access them...

would be very very anoying for him to lose them especially without a warning from ntl they were there friday night but not saturday ..i will get him to look again :(

Sociable
02-02-2004, 10:05
well he asked NTL if they would be deleted and they said no as long as they were READ they would be safe.

he also uses outlook 2003 at work to check them but Always leaves a copy on the server or uses imap to access them...

would be very very anoying for him to lose them especially without a warning from ntl they were there friday night but not saturday ..i will get him to look again :(

LOL Guess they didn't read their own AUP:

9. Email Storage

You are responsible for checking your email regularly and storing any emails you wish to keep. For so long as we provide the Internet and/or Interactive Services to you, any emails (whether read or unread) kept on our servers will automatically be deleted after 90 days. On termination of your Internet account and/or Interactive Services for any reason, any emails (read or unread) kept on our servers may automatically be deleted without any liability to you with immediate effect.

Paul
02-02-2004, 10:38
I suspect the person who said this assumed that by reading them you would have downloaded them as this is what 99% of people do.

Sociable
02-02-2004, 10:43
I suspect the person who said this assumed that by reading them you would have downloaded them as this is what 99% of people do.

The irony here is that one of the email that would have been sent to this account but has now been deleted was the one sent to all NTL customers last year informing them that the AUP was being changed and that emails would now only be stored for a max of 90 days.

deedee
02-02-2004, 10:54
well, you learn something new everyday here! i'd always been told it was just unread messages! thanks sociable. :tu:

schiller
02-02-2004, 15:35
I think it might be 60 for unread.

Will check tonight.

Toreador
06-02-2004, 09:55
Bother. That'll teach me not to keep copies of my emails.
A shame NTL couldn't have told me this when I emailed them, but it seems like if you send them an email they don't wait 90 days before deleting it :(