PDA

View Full Version : Liars and Spammers

obvious
04-07-2003, 19:33
ntl have decided to SPAM us from every webmail sent. Every email (ntl to ntl) will take up more space so all this stuff about not enough space on the servers is BS as well.

What is the Activity/Change?
From Thursday 3 July 2003, all customers who send emails from the online Webmail application will have an auto signature appended to their emails. This is in addition to the user-configurable auto-signature already available via Webmail.

Why is it important?
The auto-signature will initially promote our Broadband product to all recipients of emails sent by our customers. Initial text will read:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go Fastâ₠¬Ã‚¦faster!
Find out more about Broadband Internet from the UKâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s No.1 provider
Visit http://www.ntlhome.com or call 0800 183 0123

Each email sent from the Webmail application will effectively become an advertisement for our services.

Who is affected?
Customers sending email from the online Webmail application (note: customers who send emails from a desktop resident application, eg. Outlook Express, are not affected)

The reason they've deleted all our important saved emails is to make room for SPAM :afire: ...........NTL SPAM!

cjll3
04-07-2003, 19:44
There's a reason I don't use ntl's mail servers ..

obvious
04-07-2003, 19:55
Originally posted by cjll3

Why bend over and take it though? That's exactly what they want. They degrade the news service and hope no one can be bothered to kick up a stink so they can line their pockets.

Then they degrade the mail service so people will find an alternative. Once again they pocket the savings.

Richard M
04-07-2003, 19:57

This only affects Webmail.

obvious
04-07-2003, 19:59
Originally posted by Roger K
This only affects Webmail.

It affects everyone who receives webmail

Richard M
04-07-2003, 20:00
Originally posted by obvious

Or sends, hence my "affects webmail". ;)

cjll3
04-07-2003, 20:03
Or sends, hence my "affects webmail". ;)

Nope, ntl's smtp server is going to find itself in a large number blocklists.

Richard M
04-07-2003, 20:05
The auto-signature will initially promote our Broadband product to all recipients of emails sent by our customers.

Customers sending email from the online Webmail application

:confused:

cjll3
04-07-2003, 20:10
ntl have zero respect for their customers and for the rest of the Internet.

Since the Internet is based on mutual trust when one side decides to abuse that trust the other sides stop trusting them.

obvious
04-07-2003, 20:10
If you receive ntl webmail in your company inbox, it will affect your company inbox. It's not just a webmail issue but this is pedantic. :)

obvious
04-07-2003, 20:12
ntl have zero respect for their customers and for the rest of the Internet.

Since the Internet is based on mutual trust when one side decides to abuse that trust the other sides stop trusting them.

Thats great I might have to use it in my sig.

I suggested to ntl recently that they use a trusted blacklist to prevent customers from getting so much spam. Or at least to give customers the option.

Now they are going to be on the blacklists themselves for spamming.

Richard M
04-07-2003, 20:18
IMO, it's not a great move by NTL.

At first I thought "well MSN and Yahoo put ads in free webmail" but NTL webmail is not free is it.
Instead of trying to get more business, they need to concentrate on keeping their current customers through good CS and reliability.

There are some great people working for NTL but the training is crap I heard (read: lazy managers who don't give a ****) so the 1st line staff have a lot of trouble helping customers, or even provide a half decent service.

cjll3
04-07-2003, 20:24
At first I thought "well MSN and Yahoo put ads in free webmail" but NTL webmail is not free is it.

Mutual consideration, if somebody is providing a service gratius then you really can't complain if that service has little conditions like discrete advertising or it's not available all the time.

Instead of trying to get more business, they need to concentrate on keeping their current customers through good CS and reliability.

I agree that they should be improving the service, but economies of scale means that the more customers ntl gain the "cheeper" the service should be.

Unfortunately for ntl cheeper seems to be in the quality not price matrix. :(

Gogogo
04-07-2003, 20:58
...Now they are going to be on the blacklists themselves for spamming.

Cool down there, This is puzzling, how this ntl signature on web mail be regarded as spam? There are many ISPs that include a signature but that is not regarded as spam!

:wavey:

obvious
04-07-2003, 21:30
Originally posted by Gogogo
Cool down there, This is puzzling, how this ntl signature on web mail be regarded as spam? There are many ISPs that include a signature but that is not regarded as spam!

:wavey:

hehe fair point. Should have said they 'might' be blacklisted. I'm fairly sure that 'signature spam' has come up on blacklists before though I cant find any references.

cjll3
04-07-2003, 21:49
Originally posted by Gogogo

No, ISPs do not routinely include adverts in private customer corrispondance. Anybody who finds their corrispondance tampered with should complain very bitterly to all and sundry.

Free mail services like Yahoo and Hotmail do. That is your consideration for using their services FOC.

Gogogo
04-07-2003, 22:39
No, ISPs do not routinely include adverts in private customer corrispondance. Anybody who finds their corrispondance tampered with should complain very bitterly to all and sundry.
Free mail services like Yahoo and Hotmail do. That is your consideration for using their services FOC.

Here's one for you to start with:

postmaster.co.uk

:eek:

Chris
04-07-2003, 23:38
This is absolutely unbelievable! I don't mind people piggy backing adverts on me if I'm taking advantage of their free services, but if I want to send someone a personal email from work, using my ntlworld address, why should I have to help ntl advertise a service I am paying them £25 a month for?

The sheer depths of ineptitude, shortsightedness and incompetence of some managers at ntl is breathtaking. I can just picture them all sitting round in the marketing department meeting where this sad scheme was dreamed up, slapping each other on the back and sniggering.

You can only push me so far, people... :mad:

a4pacific
05-07-2003, 12:45
Just send a test email to myself from webmail, no signature !!

obvious
05-07-2003, 12:52
Originally posted by a4pacific
Just send a test email to myself from webmail, no signature !!

Looks like they are running late with the implementation of this one.

Or maybe it's just barely possible that they've decided not to do it?

Munkeh
05-07-2003, 22:59

So how is this going to effect the ntl mail storage servers?

Unless people are mailing themselves then this isn't going to effect them at all..

so.. no fibbing involved at all really.

Maggy
05-07-2003, 23:30
Well I used to get this with TheFreeinternet when I was with them.It may be more common than you think.
Also doesn't certain software do it?I remember that AVG did this as well on every email that I used to send out.

Incog.

Shaun
06-07-2003, 09:29
Looks like they are running late with the implementation of this one.

Ntl will be late for its own funeral!:rolleyes:

th'engineer
06-07-2003, 10:58
Originally posted by dellwear
Ntl will be late for its own funeral!:rolleyes:

And the way that they are managing things at the moment it will not be far off :D

obvious
06-07-2003, 13:00
Originally posted by Munkeh
So how is this going to effect the ntl mail storage servers?

Unless people are mailing themselves then this isn't going to effect them at all..

so.. no fibbing involved at all really.

first post in threadEvery email (ntl to ntl) will take up more space so all this stuff about not enough space on the servers is BS as well.
There are a 1.1 million ntl internet customers and probably double that number of email addresses.

How many of the emails sent go to ntlworld addresses do you think?

Chris
06-07-2003, 19:24
first post in thread
There are a 1.1 million ntl internet customers and probably double that number of email addresses.

How many of the emails sent go to ntlworld addresses do you think?

If I sent something from webmail it would most likely to be to my wife at home ... who also has an ntlworld addy.

Chris
06-07-2003, 20:41
Originally posted by Shabba
Just a thought bit i'm pretty sure that ntl mail is free! It doesn't show up on my bill!!

If they feel the need to piggy back a message on to my mail, hey - i aint paying for the priveledge ;)

Your internet bill is not itemised, but that doesn't mean any service within it you choose to name is 'free'.

What you are paying for is what ntl advertised you would get by signing up for the service. And their adverts say you get a number of emails, an amount of webspace, and internet connectivity at a certain speed.

If ntl later claim that you are only paying for the connectivity and the other things are free, to be meddled with at their leisure, they have committed an offence under the Sale of Goods Act, which specifies products must be sold as advertised.

So itemised bill or not, you're paying for your email. (Some ntl managers have apparently been saying privately to their staff that email is a 'free add-on'. But they are wrong.)

philip.j.fry
06-07-2003, 21:47
Originally posted by Incognitas

Also doesn't certain software do it?I remember that AVG did this as well on every email that I used to send out.

With AVG you can change the message or turn it off entirely.

I agree with towny, the e-mail is not a freebie but part of the internet package I am paying for and I don't think it is right for them to tag advertising on the end.

obvious
06-07-2003, 21:49
Originally posted by Shabba
Just a thought bit i'm pretty sure that ntl mail is free! It doesn't show up on my bill!!

There was a long thread about this over at .com

Basically I accused one of the Community Liaison Team of lying when he said that the ntl email service was free. Anyway, to cut a long story short, he was told not to post to the thread anymore and email is one of the paid for services.

obvious
06-07-2003, 21:52
the aizad.hussein@ntl.com address hasn't been working.

These do though:-

barclay@ntli.com
barclay.knapp@ntli.com
bill.goodland@ntl.com

obvious
07-07-2003, 07:55
Originally posted by Andre
:rolleyes:

'Obvious'....may I make a suggestion here?

Why don't you (and I don't mind helping) collate a list of members who are opposed to this, and send a mail to the whole board of ntl voicing your/our/their displeasure.

NTHW and An-ti-Cap-live to-ge-ther in per-fect har-mon-y :D

Sounds like a plan.

Can you put a poll at the beginning of this thread for people to vote if they'd like to be included in the list?

:)

orangebird
07-07-2003, 08:33
the aizad.hussein@ntl.com address hasn't been working.
<snip>

That's because Andre spelt his name incorrectly :rolleyes:

orangebird
07-07-2003, 09:34
My apologies.

aizad.hussain@ntl.com

Still doesn't get over Obvious's original comment of....

Yes it does - the address you originally gave doesn't exist..... that's why it's not been working... :confused:

obvious
07-07-2003, 09:54
Obvious-just because you don't get a reply it doesn't mean the mailbox is not working! :p

LOL - Good point.

Previously I've had emails to aizad.hussein@ntl.com bounce. I just tried it again and it hasnt bounced so far.

I dont mean to question the reliability of the mail servers but perhaps there was a glitch when I tried earlier ;)