PDA

View Full Version : Caspar isnââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t my realnameââ‚à ƒâ€šÃ‚¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¦

Caspar
31-01-2004, 12:18
I was told, only in passing on not on purposeââ‚à ‚¬Ã‚¦she thought I already knew!

She is my mother and she told me that she didnâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t intend to call me Caspar.
Caspar was the name given to me by the birth registrar! You see my parents decided on Casper with an †˜eââ ‚¬â„Ã⠀šÃ‚¢ the most accepted spelling of the name, but when my parents told the registrar my name, the register wrote it in the official birth register as an †˜aââ ‚¬â„Ã⠀šÃ‚¢! And they didn't bother changing it... :confused:

My life is a sham! †¦Iââà¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¡Ã‚¬Ã¢â€žÂà ‚¢ve got someone elseââ‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s name! Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢m seriously thinking of changing my name by deed pole to something totally different now!!!

What an odd story this isâ₠¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¦.you should have seen me when my mother told me it! :confused:

MadGamer
31-01-2004, 12:20
I bet she was gobsmacked.

Xaccers
31-01-2004, 12:24
Wow that's amazing, so the registra mispelled your name?
I found out that my parents considered calling me James, but changed it at the last minute *phew* (no offence intended to anyone called James)

What would you change your name to?

Thing is, when you were a baby in the pram crying, your mum would have rocked the caspar :D
(sorry I just couldn't resist)

Ramrod
31-01-2004, 12:32
I always assumed that Caspar was a 'nom de plume' (?sp) and that you had read the comics as a kid :blush:

Wow that's amazing, so the registra mispelled your name?
I found out that my parents considered calling me James, but changed it at the last minute *phew* (no offence intended to anyone called James)

What would you change your name to?Ha! You had it easy, my middle name is hellish. No, I'm not telling you lot what it is :D

....and before anyone thinks of saying 'hellish' is a strange middle name....don't :D

Jarandco
31-01-2004, 12:35
Hey dont diss the name James!!!! :mad: :Peaceman:

Thats erm a bit of a erm, a shock!

Possibly not as bad as my Dad though, his name was choosen by the doctor, :rolleyes:

Ha! You had it easy, my middle name is hellish. No, I'm not telling you lot what it is :D

....and before anyone thinks of saying 'hellish' is a strange middle name....don't :D

Damn! :pp

Caspar
31-01-2004, 12:35
lol Ramrod :) it's 'real'...well fake...but it's on my birth cert!

Change, dunno...Gordon...or Tony....or Zachery III what do you think..or even Al'chmed?

etccarmageddon
31-01-2004, 12:36
I think you should stick with Caspar - be unique. being different is a lot more interesting.

deed poll's are a strange thing - they are a contract with yourself! you could probably save money by just drawing up your own piece of paper and getting people to witness it and sign it and put on the top 'Deed Poll - Change of Name'.

you dont need to change your name by deed poll but here's some notes if you must...

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/family_parent/family/change_of_name.htm

If you wish to be known by a different name you can change your name at any time, provided you do not intend to deceive or defraud another person. There is no legal procedure to follow in order to change a name. You simply start using the new name. You can change your forename or surname, add names or rearrange your existing names.

Although there is no legal way to change a name, you may want evidence that you have changed your name...

Evidence of change of name

You do not need legal proof that you have changed your name, provided that you can be identified by your new chosen name. However, there are some circumstances, for example, applying for a passport, when additional evidence of the change of name is required. The evidence required varies depending on the purpose for which it is needed and can include:-

a letter from a responsible person

a public announcement

a statutory declaration

a deed poll.

Jarandco
31-01-2004, 12:37

Change, dunno...Gordon...or Tony....or Zachery III what do you think..or even Al'chmed?

Nah stick with Caspar its a cool name! :)

Xaccers
31-01-2004, 12:40
Can I suggest not picking this name?

http://www.anyfun.net/pics/pics/road14.jpg

Ramrod
31-01-2004, 12:40

Nah...stick with the name you have, it's cool. If you have to tinker then just replace the 'e'.

Caspar
31-01-2004, 12:44
Thanks guys :) I'm only half-serious...cause now that I'm not a kid in school, with people picking on me for having a silly name!...it's quite cool to have the name...if you know what I mean :)

I'll just wind my mother up for a bit! ;)

Bifta
31-01-2004, 13:08
Thanks guys :) I'm only half-serious...cause now that I'm not a kid in school, with people picking on me for having a silly name!...it's quite cool to have the name...if you know what I mean :)

I'll just wind my mother up for a bit! ;)

I think you should change it to Max Steele! Then you could change Marges to Hooty McBoob!

Fawkes
31-01-2004, 14:13
I was told, only in passing on not on purposeââ‚à ‚¬Ã‚¦she thought I already knew!

She is my mother and she told me that she didnâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t intend to call me Caspar.
Caspar was the name given to me by the birth registrar! You see my parents decided on Casper with an †˜eââ ‚¬â„Ã⠀šÃ‚¢ the most accepted spelling of the name, but when my parents told the registrar my name, the register wrote it in the official birth register as an †˜aââ ‚¬â„Ã⠀šÃ‚¢! And they didn't bother changing it... :confused:

My life is a sham! †¦Iââà¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¡Ã‚¬Ã¢â€žÂà ‚¢ve got someone elseââ‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s name! Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢m seriously thinking of changing my name by deed pole to something totally different now!!!

What an odd story this isâ₠¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¦.you should have seen me when my mother told me it! :confused:

You think thats bad, my dads surname is Morriss but the registrar missed off an S, giving me the more common selling of the name. At the time this went unnoticed by my parents and all subsequent documents including things like my NI number and name on the electoral roll are spelt with a double S. However, when it came to getting my passport I had to use Morris instead of Morriss because that is whats on my birth certificate.

Am I even breaking the law by voting and paying tax under a name that legally doesn't exist?

Should I pay the £25 or what every it is to add and S the the end of my name?

Caspar
31-01-2004, 15:01
As per etccarmageddon (http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/member.php?u=94) post above says that you can simply chnage your name no problem. As long as you are not doing it to defraud then fine. :)

Chimaera
01-02-2004, 23:27
Same thing happened with my daughter - the registrar didn't know how to spell her name - neither did my ex - husband! When he bought the certificate home to me I queried it - but it couldn't just be corrected, an application had to be made to 'vary' the details - all cos the registrar would not admit he was at fault. It wasn't easy to do either - it took 6 months for all the paperwork to come through so we could re-register her, and she now has a very grubby looking birth certificate with the original spelling crossed out and the correct one inserted!
Leave it as it is, Caspar!

Florence
01-02-2004, 23:39
I have been retracing the family tree and found a registrar error had made the surname different to the rest of the family. My husbands father and other members of the family have an S in Stanfield making theirs Stansfield we don't we now have the more uncommon spelling.

Jon T
01-02-2004, 23:55
I once met a bloke who had changed his name to "Bolt Uprite".

Jon

kink
02-02-2004, 18:53
Some registrars have a habit of giving people the wrong name.... but then there are so many reasons why this can happen and it not being entirely their fault.... well not totally through their own incompetence anyway.... people's handwriting, the way the names are pronounced due to regional accents or foreign ones at that.... so many ways for a name to be misunderstood and for us to end up with a variant of what our lovely parents intended us to have...

My middle name is Silvana..... for SOME reason.... my birth certificate has my middle name as Silfana, a name that until that point didn't exist :rolleyes: It never really was an issue until years ago i applied for my Italian Passport in this country.... the italian consulate had to verify my nationality and identity by confirming the registration of my birth with the appropriate office of red tape in Italy.... my british passport had the name Silvana, my birth certificate Silfana and the bureaucratic office of nonsense in italy had Silvana (well they would, since Silfana doesn't exist!!! :grind: ) which all sent the Italian consulate in london into red tape and jobsworth overload.... and they took months to accept that i must be the same person and that some registrar in St Pancras in 1967 had had too much to drink, couldn't read my parents' handwriting or understand their foreign accents..... and almost gave me a apoplectic stroke going from dept to dept over the ensuing months just to say ..... it's a spelling mistake!! I got my British passport without this amount of hassle???? :cry: ....

Thanks for the memory Caspar :grind: :)

Thing is..... a few close friends call me Vana.... and they used to have a laugh at the thought of me being called Fana.... we were arabic students and found out it meant (when stretched) Ego Death.... oh how they laughed :rolleyes:

Theodoric
02-02-2004, 21:08
Are you sure about Caspar not being the real spelling? I've got an idea that the famous Caspar Hauser was spelt with an 'a' and not an 'e'.