PDA

View Full Version : What's a disease?

Mr_love_monkey
30-01-2004, 23:24
All this talk of George Best has got me thinking...

Why is alcoholism considered a 'disease' by some people?
What is alcoholism? - it's an addiction - so how is it different from any other addictive habit, say, for example, smoking?
People crave a smoke, the same way people will crave a drink, some people will find their lives ruled by the need to have a smoke, just as others will by the need to have a drink?

Both of these things lead to death - and yet one is seen as a terrible disease and the other is seen as an unpleasant habit.

Would anyone be that 'bothered' by alcoholism if the signs of it weren't visable? - i.e. if alcoholics didn't get drunk, and could busily wander around killing themselves 'quietly', much the same as smokers do - would anyone really take that much of an interest? (ignoring all issues of passive smoking and so on).

*please note I am not making light of any of these situations, it's just something I have been thinking about *

Julian
30-01-2004, 23:30
I certainly don't see alcoholism as a disease.

It is an addiction brought about by a lifestyle choice.

iadom
30-01-2004, 23:33
disease. Any state of a living body in which the natural functions are disturbed; illness; disorder.

In that context then alcholism is a disease.

Ramrod
30-01-2004, 23:34
I certainly don't see alcoholism as a disease.

It is an addiction brought about by a lifestyle choice.Yup, same as smoking. Though smoking probably needs less 'work' to become an addiction.

Ramrod
30-01-2004, 23:34
disease. Any state of a living body in which the natural functions are disturbed; illness; disorder.

In that context then alcholism is a disease....and so is smoking

kronas
30-01-2004, 23:35
It is an addiction brought about by a lifestyle choice.

correct, im addicted to the internet because i allowed it to embrace my life.

i refuse to drink therefor i have no addiction or should i say possible chances of addiction.

Mr_love_monkey

In that context then alcholism is a disease.

Do you see smoking as a disease then?

Ramrod
disease: literally dis-ease

Julian
30-01-2004, 23:39
correct, im addicted to the internet because i allowed it to embrace my life.

How would you feel if you couldn't get net access for a month Kronie?

i refuse to drink therefor i have no addiction or should i say possible chances of addiction.

Fair play to you - I hope you keep it up. :)

kronas
30-01-2004, 23:39
disease: literally dis-ease

cancer is a disease you could argue it can come from smoking, just as liver problems come from alcohol...............

btw you should ease up on the double posting ramrod, i know you like a high post count. :naughty: ;)

Ramrod
30-01-2004, 23:42
btw you should ease up on the double posting ramrod, i know you like a high post count. :naughty: ;)lol, you should reclaim your frightful throne m8....I'm just keeping it warm for you. :D

iadom
Do you see smoking as a disease then?I have never smoked in my life, but I feel very sorry for people ( George Best included ) that are addicted to anything, so yes, smoking is a disease according to the OED.

Chris
The medical definition of 'disease' might well be seen to include such addictions as alcohol, tobacco etc, but somehow I suspect our modern tendency to call such things 'disease' owes more to the fact that we live in a society that is increasingly unwilling to accept the notion of personal responsibility. Everything is someone, or something, else's fault.

kronas
30-01-2004, 23:43
How would you feel if you couldn't get net access for a month Kronie?

i would be bored most of the time, i would proberbly clammer to someone elses house to get access :D

you could say its habitual, rather like visiting the forums.

Fair play to you - I hope you keep it up. :)

well im 17 and not had a drop ever, even if i live till 30 and beyond this wont change.

Julian
30-01-2004, 23:45
The medical definition of 'disease' might well be seen to include such addictions as alcohol, tobacco etc, but somehow I suspect our modern tendency to call such things 'disease' owes more to the fact that we live in a society that is increasingly unwilling to accept the notion of personal responsibility. Everything is someone, or something, else's fault.

That is soooooo spot on, noone says you can't have a drink now and then.

You just need to excercise (sp) some self-control.

Mr_love_monkey
30-01-2004, 23:47
I have never smoked in my life, but I feel very sorry for people that are addicted to anything, so yes smoking is a disease.

I personally think that you would be in the minority there?
I don't think most people would see it that way - somehow I don't see there being a 'Leaving Las Vegas' for smoking

kronas
30-01-2004, 23:54
I don't think most people would see it that way.

smoking itself is an addiction but the disease that comes with it, is self inflicted and you are ultimately incharge of changing any course of the way your lifestyle goes, in the decision making of whether to smoke or not to smoke the first time, subsequantly if you do not control the urges in the first place, to try it, an 'addiciction' occurs only you are to blame.

later in life, if you choose to continue smoking disease can occur.

Chris
30-01-2004, 23:56
I don't think most people would see it that way - somehow I don't see there being a 'Leaving Las Vegas' for smoking
I've never tried smoking either. Growing up, both my parents smoked and I always loathed the smell, and the way I was forced to breathe it in. They say smoking parents is meant to make the children more likely to take it up, but in my case I went to the other extreme ... I used to pester them to give up constantly.

Mr_love_monkey
31-01-2004, 00:01
..... an 'addiciction' occurs only you are to blame.
later in life, if you choose to continue smoking disease can occur.

Exactly, just like drinking.... but the point I'm making is that people have more sympathy for an alcoholic than they do for a smoker, when essentially they amount to the same thing - an addicition that the person cannot control.

If an alcoholic dies, more often than not people will say it's a terrible shame, they wasted their life, and it's a shame it happened, a smoker dies directly from smoking and people will say that they bought it on themselves, and they have only themselves to blame, and as someone pointed out it's probably easier to get addicted to smoking, since it requires less 'work'?

*edited for spelling*

Mr_love_monkey
31-01-2004, 00:03
I've never tried smoking either. Growing up, both my parents smoked and I always loathed the smell, and the way I was forced to breathe it in. They say smoking parents is meant to make the children more likely to take it up, but in my case I went to the other extreme ... I used to pester them to give up constantly.

Yes, both my parents smoked, my dad died several years ago, from lung cancer, which may or may not have been directly attributed to his smoking - since when he was younger he did a lot of building work around asbestos and so on. My mum still smokes, as does my older sister.
I've never felt the urge to smoke, or even the curiosity to try, even from a very young age.

Julian
31-01-2004, 00:05
Exactly, just like drinking.... but the point I'm making is that people have more sympathy for an alcoholic than they do for a smoker, when essentially they amount to the same thing - an addicition that the person cannot control.

If an alcohol dies, more often than not people will say it's a terrible shame, they wasted their life, and it's a shame it happened, a smoker dies directly from smoking and people will say that they bought it on themselves, and they have only themselves to blame, and as someone pointed out it's probably easier to get addicted to smoking, since it requires less 'work'?

Is that because people don't see drinking as anti-social I wonder?

kronas
31-01-2004, 00:11

If an alcoholic dies, more often than not people will say it's a terrible shame, they wasted their life, and it's a shame it happened, a smoker dies directly from smoking and people will say that they bought it on themselves, and they have only themselves to blame, and as someone pointed out it's probably easier to get addicted to smoking, since it requires less 'work'?

an alcoholic can expect the same type of response i gave in the george best thread, you do it to yourself i have no sympathy for alcoholics, fine if they want to come clean then they can try, but its hard to come off an addiction such as alcohol.

as for your part about sympathetical instances, i cannot sympathise with anyone who gets addicted to any form of substance, whether it be drugs alcohol smoking...............

iadom
31-01-2004, 00:13
Is that because people don't see drinking as anti-social I wonder?Very good point, If you are near someone who is having a quiet, social drink, it causes you no discomfort, however if you have to breath in cigarette fumes in a confined space it can be distastful.

kronas
31-01-2004, 00:16
Very good point, If you are near someone who is having a quiet, social drink, it causes you no discomfort, however if you have to breath in cigarette fumes in a confined space it can be distastful.

ill happily let a person do either, i will point out to them that they are harming themselves, but its there life, i can choose to move 'away' from the smoke.

Mr_love_monkey
31-01-2004, 00:19
as for your part about sympathetical instances, i cannot sympathise with anyone who gets addicted to any form of substance, whether it be drugs alcohol smoking...............

I think that is a very easy thing to say, it's a different thing to live by.
Everyone knows someone at somepoint in their life who falls through the cracks in life - whether it be drugs, alcohol, smoking - or whatever, and I think it's very hard to keep to your standpoint and never feel any sympathy for someone's situation - regardless of whether it was self inflicted or not? - you can think someone is stupid for doing something, but that shouldn't stop you feeling sympathy, or having some empathy for their situation

iadom
31-01-2004, 00:21
ill happily let a person do either, i will point out to them that they are harming themselves, but its there life, i can choose to move 'away' from the smoke.Not easy if you are in a restaurant, etc. I was having a meal in a local Indian a few weeks ago and a young couple nearby had a ciggy between each course.:eek:

kronas
31-01-2004, 00:31
Not easy if you are in a restaurant, etc. I was having a meal in a local Indian a few weeks ago and a young couple nearby had a ciggy between each course.:eek:

yep your right there, but thats why i back a ban on smoking in public, thats another thread though...........

Julian
31-01-2004, 00:39
Everyone knows someone at somepoint in their life who falls through the cracks in life - whether it be drugs, alcohol, smoking - or whatever, and I think it's very hard to keep to your standpoint and never feel any sympathy for someone's situation - regardless of whether it was self inflicted or not? - you can think someone is stupid for doing something, but that shouldn't stop you feeling sympathy, or having some empathy for their situation

I agree. Whilst I have already said it is a decision based on self-control whether you continue a certain path in your life, some people cannot exercise that self-control and need help. :)

My sympathy goes out, not only to the person concerned, but those close to and affected by the addiction.

kronas
31-01-2004, 00:47

i partially agree, people go through rough patches in life and do things that are out of character and i do have sympathy for them, but they must accept the road to recovery.

but if its because there self control while under the relative normaility of there life fails, then NO.

Mr_love_monkey
31-01-2004, 10:39
..but if its because there self control while under the relative normaility of there life fails, then NO.

Well, I hope you, and all of your loved ones are able to lead a life where you never have to re-think that.

MadGamer
31-01-2004, 11:23
Smoking is a disease cos it can affect your lungs, and give you cancer.

etccarmageddon
31-01-2004, 11:44
an alcoholic can expect the same type of response i gave in the george best thread, you do it to yourself i have no sympathy for alcoholics, fine if they want to come clean then they can try, but its hard to come off an addiction such as alcohol.

my sympathy runs out when the addiction leads to things like the violence that Best inflicted on his wife.