PDA

View Full Version : Strange Question

downquark1
28-01-2004, 21:18
On ITV sometimes a strange small box appears in the top right corner of the screen with black and white strips, it's done this for years. What is it?

Mal
28-01-2004, 21:19
It means that a commercial break is coming in a few seconds. (If it's what I think you mean anyway)

downquark1
28-01-2004, 21:25
It means that a commercial break is coming in a few seconds. (If it's what I think you mean anyway)
OK thanks, why is it there? :D

Mal
28-01-2004, 21:28
Possibly so the tv company knew that it was time for the commercial break? A marker?

Nikko
28-01-2004, 21:35
Its called a Cue Dot - and is partly to remind producers of live shows of an impending/imminent break - I think it appears at 15 secs prior to, and immediately before the show titles lead to the commercials.

I used to take great delight in noting the first one, counting down in my head and getting up saying "coffee time" exactly as the break occurred - no-one ever knew how I knew, lol

idi banashapan
28-01-2004, 21:42
as far as I know, it's used, as said, as a marker, but helps to line up the tapes (for the ads). Could be wrong, but that's what I understand it's purpose to be.

timewarrior2001
28-01-2004, 21:55
Its the barcode mark of the devil I tell you!!!

We are all doomed!!!! :D

hoggyspuds
28-01-2004, 22:31
On ITV sometimes a strange small box appears in the top right corner of the screen with black and white strips, it's done this for years. What is it?

It's an ITV region thing. It allows local tv techs across the country to control their adverts on their regional itv broadcasts. eg, you'll find it on national programs like corrie street, but not on regional programs, where the local broadcaster has control of what you see.

MadGamer
29-01-2004, 17:53
Its the barcode mark of the devil I tell you!!!

We are all doomed!!!! :D :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

eastwind
30-01-2004, 13:04
Can someone design a video recorder to detect this signal and turn the recroder off until the commercials are over?

soniz
30-01-2004, 13:14
Can someone design a video recorder to detect this signal and turn the recroder off until the commercials are over?

From memory, there were a couple of old old VCRs that were supposed to do this but as they're not around now it would seem they didn't work too well!!

idi banashapan
31-01-2004, 12:00
From memory, there were a couple of old old VCRs that were supposed to do this but as they're not around now it would seem they didn't work too well!!

quite right - there were a few in the 90's, but i don't think anyone really bought into the idea of speding more more so you didn't need to press the FF button!

Xaccers
31-01-2004, 13:13

Doesn't TiVo do that?