PDA

View Full Version : An interesting tale

Ramrod
28-01-2004, 19:15
From Jeddah (http://www.arabnews.com/?page=1&section=0&article=38718&d=28&m=1&y=2004). We have it fairly easy here it would seem. :D

paulyoung666
28-01-2004, 19:20
From Jeddah (http://www.arabnews.com/?page=1&section=0&article=38718&d=28&m=1&y=2004). We have it fairly easy here it would seem. :D

talk about a monopoly , this bit

However, I was not panicking because I was sure that the other two accredited workshops would give me a more realistic estimate when I got to them †” once I found out where they were. When I asked for directions to the other two workshops, I was told, †œYou are at all three workshops. You get your other two estimates from us also. Wait.ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â

tickled me to bits :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Atomic22
28-01-2004, 19:39
lol licence to print money and rip people off

Xaccers
28-01-2004, 20:52
This is why you make sure you have a company car in Saudi :p

Actually, i'm trying to remember what my dad did when he was run over by a lorry in his car on xmas morning when we lived there.

Saudi's are notoriously crap drivers.
Dad filmed around Jeddah during his last few days there and filmed at least 2 accidents.
Actually, there was a huge piece of art work dedicated to car crashes. A large concrete cube with fronts and backs of cars sticking out of it with working lights etc.

There was a great cartoon in one of the Jeddah papers with a Saudi standing beside three lanes of traffic at traffic lights. The caption was: "Those on the left want to go right, those on the right want to go left, those in the middle don't know where they want to go" :D

tkiely
28-01-2004, 21:01
kinda reminds me of the way we get to choose between the cable companies in this country(joke)

Ramrod
28-01-2004, 22:15
talk about a monopoly , this bit

However, I was not panicking because I was sure that the other two accredited workshops would give me a more realistic estimate when I got to them †” once I found out where they were. When I asked for directions to the other two workshops, I was told, †œYou are at all three workshops. You get your other two estimates from us also. Wait.ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â

tickled me to bits :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
...and then this:The chain-smoking man behind the desk at the drivethrough estimate line soon handed me, not one, but three estimates, on three different letterheads from what were supposed to be three different workshops †” all for the same amount of SR9,000. the competition is intense:rofl:

Julian
28-01-2004, 23:10
I ran a car service workshop in Jeddah in the mid 90's.... this story does not surprise me. :)

As Xaccers says the standard of driving there is dire it's all inch'allah. :eek:

People would continue to drive a car having rolled it over and crushed the roof on the passenger side.

When there was an accident everyone would stop to have a good look, but noone would help any trapped person. The ambulance would arrive at some time and the main priority on arrival was to greet any people there that they knew.

A real eye opener.

Xaccers
28-01-2004, 23:13
You know at your local supermarket, there are those boards which you can put ads up on, like "pram for sale" etc?
Well in Jeddah they had them too, only these had car crash photos, with the passengers' remains ringed in red.

The police would stand at traffic lights, and if they saw someone without a seatbelt, they'd be pulled over, and possibly whipped for being so stupid.

Julian
28-01-2004, 23:37
I worked for This Company (http://www.hha.com.sa/) :)

One of the sheikhs had a telescope mounted on the 14th floor pointed at the square outside the Mosque where they used to behead people on Friday lunchtimes. :Yikes: :shocking: