PDA

View Full Version : Neil's B-Day Treat!

Neil
28-01-2004, 17:05
Has anyone seen these? They look absolutely awesome! :eek:

http://www.apple.com/ipodmini/

They are a 4 gig version of the current iPOD, but even smaller (& cooler by the looks of things!)-so happy birthday to me!!!!! :p

They're not out here until April (at the earliest :rolleyes: ), but I've just discovered that they are released in the good old US of A on Feb the 16th-which happens to be the day after I arrive in New York :naughty:

I've just rung the Apple shop in New York & they have confirmed that they will have stock, so I have reserved 2 of them. ;)

They are retailing for $250.00 (about £140.00 at the mo?), so I am defo gonna bag myself one of these bad boys! :D

I have also booked tickets (on the night of my birthday-17th) to see some NBA basketball at Madison Square Garden-New York Knicks vs Detroit Pistons. :tu:

Got a helicopter ride booked, & also a tour of the 'Sex in the City' set :rolleyes: (not my idea), but I'll get my own back when we go to see Barbershop 2 ( www.barbershop2.com ) which judging from the trailer I've seen is going to be as good, if not better than, the first one. :)

I've never been to NY before, & I'm really looking forward to it, only there from Sunday 16th & flying back on Friday 20th, so would appreciate any tips on sights to see/places to be, etc etc.

Over to you folks...

Russ
28-01-2004, 17:09
No-one likes a show off, boyo :D

Lew
28-01-2004, 17:10
If you really want to show off, get an iBook to go with them ;)

Jarandco
28-01-2004, 17:14
Very Nice Neil, NY is very good, empire state is probabbly a must, and maybe visitng the WTC site, to pay your respects? Have a wonder around central Park, its wierd thinking your in NY when in there!! :D

LostintheNW
28-01-2004, 18:37
Neil I was in NYC for new years 2002-2003, its a great city and I have best time ever (and Happy B-day! you share the same bday as me!)

Ground Zero is a bit weird, as there were loads of people having their pix taken against the huge railings they have put around the site so you cant see people working, it has lots of info on the towers though. Make sure you see the Statue of Liberty and go up the empire state building - quickest way up is to buy the $19 (maybe more now) ticket which includes a helicopter simulation ride, you dont need to go on this but you get to skip the main queue a little! - its v cold at the top so be warned!!! - views are amazing, but dont leave it too late though otherwise you may miss some cool views, although at night its spectacular as well!

The Gugenheim musem is really good as well - this is right down the other end of 5th Avenue, but by walking to it you can see Trump Tower (cool inside!!), Central Park - see if the ice rink is open as thats fun, the Zoo is great as well. There are some other galleries and stuff near the Gugenheim. Make sure you see all the stores on 5th Avenue as well. Broadway is just off Times Square along with 42nd street where Madam Tussaurds is - v expenisve in there! - also the Toys R Us Store has a huge ferris wheel ride inside as well! (I am such a big kid!) - Planet Hollywood is also in TImes Square and gets very busy, MTV Studios are just across the road as well.

There is a v nice itallian called the Olive Garden there, and also a very weird nightclub called Barcode which is worth a trip in, its not one of the 18 to party clubs and is strictly over 21's only - just walk round the city as well, its confusing at first as all the Avenues run north to south and the streets run east to west - took a couple of days to get used to it - oh and do the MSG tour as well thats cool, and the keep going down 7th Avenue where MSG is (7th Ave also have Macys on and leads to Times Square), and you can find the Chelsea District which is like the Gay Village in Mancs, its cool and the night clubs there are amazing!

I'll shut up now as I have waffled on far too much - have a great time!

Neil
28-01-2004, 18:45
'LostintheNW'-top post, & thanks for you pointers. :tu:

Did you know that we share the same birthday as Michael Jordan?? :eek:

Anyway, I have printed off your points, & will be taking them with me. :)

Thanks again. :tu:

Neil
28-01-2004, 18:47
If you really want to show off, get an iBook to go with them ;)

I don't need another iBook...:angel: ;)

LostintheNW
28-01-2004, 18:59
You're welcome Neil - and I didn't know we shared our b-day with him - always thought no one famous was born on the same day as me lol

How old are ya then? or is that confidential! - oh and watch the subway! v scary and dont go on it at night!! - oh and behind MSG is a v nice little Irish Pub - manager is cool and you can get cheap drinks!! - what hotel you staying in as well? I stayed in the Pennsylvania which is just across the road from MSG and Grand Central (I think its that station, its one of them anyway)

Neil
28-01-2004, 19:03
You're welcome Neil - and I didn't know we shared our b-day with him - always thought no one famous was born on the same day as me lol

Me too!

How old are ya then? or is that confidential!

I'll be 36 next birthday. :angel:

- oh and watch the subway! v scary and dont go on it at night!!

Rgr that!

behind MSG is a v nice little Irish Pub - manager is cool and you can get cheap drinks!!

*Makes note* :beer:

what hotel you staying in as well? I stayed in the Pennsylvania which is just across the road from MSG and Grand Central (I think its that station, its one of them anyway)

Err-somewhere on 30th Street (I think) :erm:

Neil
09-02-2004, 17:29
I just used the Madison Square Garden website to see where I will be sitting, & this is what I have discovered...:eek:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2004/02/5.jpg

As Monica says in a recent episode of Friends "I think I just had a tiny orgasm!" :D

Tricky
09-02-2004, 19:01
Go for a beer or two at the top of the marriot marquis on time square, It's a bit pricy for a bud but you are 50 floors up in a rotating room that gives a great view of new york, PS it takes about 3 beers depending on your drinking speed to do a full 360 (so don't take a camcorder with the idea of getting a full view!).

I stayed at the hotel in 1999 and even the glass lift (elevator) is an experience in itself especially if you get the express one that stops at 1st and 2nd and then goes to the 49th in about 30 seconds!

Stratten Island ferry is a must (it's free!) goes near to statue of lib (if you have a decent zoom on your camera)

walk over the brooklyn bridge (it's a long walk!) and take photo of manhatten is a must - best time is at night but I would not recommend doing it!!! - get a cab to the other side ask to stop for photo and then come back!

Stuart
11-02-2004, 15:37
Neil, Happy birthday mate. Hope you like New York..

But, as for the iPod, I wouldn't get one (heard too many horror stories about the battery life).

Still, that's just my opinion.

Neil
15-02-2004, 00:59
Ok, just finished packing :eek: & now I'm off to bed ready for my trip tomorrow! :D

I'll try to post some pics from an internet cafe or something! :p

Over & out.......

N. :wavey:

PS-I've decided to treat myself to a 15gig iPOD for my birthday! :angel:

Ben
15-02-2004, 01:03
Ok, just finished packing :eek: & now I'm off to bed ready for my trip tomorrow! :D

I'll try to post some pics from an internet cafe or something! :p

Over & out.......

N. :wavey:

PS-I've decided to treat myself to a 15gig iPOD for my birthday! :angel:

Have a good time dude (and a great birthday ;) ) :D Yea and take loads of pic's :angel:

Marge
15-02-2004, 01:49
We found it cheaper to buy an all day bus ticket and whizz about on that....

American Immigration can seem horrendous and watch out for the taxi rides, like being on the dodgems at the fair

McD's etc are cheap and the stores like Macys, Bloomingdales are amazing, every street seems like a film set

I'm so jealous now, I want to go back, Debs off to search t'internet for a cheap deal :tu:

Neil
21-02-2004, 13:12
I'm back! :D

What an awesome time I had-Ground Zero/Empire State/Niketown & The Apple Shop...:naughty:

Off back to bed now, but will fill you in later. :pp

Graham F
21-02-2004, 13:22
Glad you had a good time Neil, we will all wait for your photo's :pp :D

Stuartbe
21-02-2004, 14:00
Glad you enjoyed yourself m8 :)

We look forward to seing the pics...

P.S. Where's my stick of rock ??? :)

th'engineer
22-02-2004, 09:18
I'm back! :D

What an awesome time I had-Ground Zero/Empire State/Niketown & The Apple Shop...:naughty:

Off back to bed now, but will fill you in later. :pp
So what pressies have you brought back, gold rolex new puter , :D

Stuartbe
22-02-2004, 10:34
If its a new computer dont forget the voltage convertor :) (if needed)

I new a chap once that was determined to use a high tech toaster from the states dispite needing a transformer the size of a coffee table :rofl:

Richard M
22-02-2004, 10:54
Welcome back Neil!
Thanks for the photos (http://www.frankw.net/blog/archives/2004/02/Video_Postcards_all_the_rage.php)!

th'engineer
22-02-2004, 11:42
Welcome back Neil!
Thanks for the photos (http://www.frankw.net/blog/archives/2004/02/Video_Postcards_all_the_rage.php)!See you did not buy a leccy razor:angel::rofl: