PDA

View Full Version : Should Bill (CAP) Goodland go?

th'engineer
04-07-2003, 12:30
Taking into account the amount of lost income to the company and possibly an effect on these JOBS.

Should Bill Goodland the CAP leave NTL at the same time as the 96 jobs in Wales

MovedGoalPosts
04-07-2003, 13:12
I'm sorry, I'm as against the cap as anyone could be, but I really do not see how BG can be held totally responsible for the decision (I would like to see him held to account for the cap, but that's as far as it goes). Other managers and management decisions (looks like somebody at ntl can make them) should have greater culpability.

The cap may have had a small effect on profitability, some customers may have left or downgraded, others may have not have signed up. However this is not the only factor in ntl's profitability. They also do TV and telephony, and combined with BB services, all of which have their pros and cons and which affect the desirablility.

I hate to say it but to ntl's bean counters Cardiff is just another cost. All companies love to reinvent the wheel, without regard to those affected by job insecurity. That's the modern corporate world.

As I have said elsewhere I have every sympathy for those who are about to loose their jobs.

*Edit - I would suggest that this topic continue to be discussed in the original Newsflash thread (http://www.nthellworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=666)

SMHarman
04-07-2003, 15:28
But the cap is probably rev generative / neutral to the company.

You may lose some 1Mb BB users (loss of Revenue), but these are the users that were possibly (depending on use profile blah blah) soaking the UBRs and causign performance degredation on the network.

By those users quitting for ADSL you free up bandwidth improving the use for others and resulting in the need to buy less equipment (Lower Costs) to keep the network moving.

Lower Rev vs Lower costs - poss rev neutral.

Chris
04-07-2003, 15:35
Originally posted by SMHarman
But the cap is probably rev generative / neutral to the company.

You may lose some 1Mb BB users (loss of Revenue), but these are the users that were possibly (depending on use profile blah blah) soaking the UBRs and causign performance degredation on the network.

By those users quitting for ADSL you free up bandwidth improving the use for others and resulting in the need to buy less equipment (Lower Costs) to keep the network moving.

Lower Rev vs Lower costs - poss rev neutral.

Good point, expands on what I posted earlier in the 'Newsflash' thread.

Speaking of which, is this really a new topic? Perhaps it should get merged with the other one.

Dolphin
04-07-2003, 17:41
Originally posted by th'engineer
Taking into account the amount of lost income to the company and possibly an effect on these JOBS.

Should Bill Goodland the CAP leave NTL at the same time as the 96 jobs in Wales

Please can we have thâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢engineer back?

I mean the one whose postâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s were always a bit quirky, but at least they contributed to discussions and were informative back in the heyday of NTHW.com.

These days thâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢e just yaps about the same boring topics. Everything gets reduced to the level of NTL incomeptance, and snide remarks that contribute very little value in the way he used to.

This latest example is indeed sad. The fact that these people have lost their livelihoods is a human tragedy wherever it happened. Trying to score points off the back of it about your pet grievances is going too far m8. Its cheap.

This posting isnââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t about the Cap †“ please can we have the old thââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢e back?

(Flame away :smokin: )

th'engineer
04-07-2003, 19:05
I must admit before february i thought that NTL was turning a corner in customer service and honesty. I was happy that NTl was going from strength to strength . I even defended them and tried to get other sites working together. Then of all days my birthday they brought in the CAP. I have sent to AIzad and Goodland details about why it is unfair. Did i get a reply no even phoned up to talk about it and got a arrogant Monkey who would not listen.
So i might be bitter twisted but do want NTL to suceed as a alternative to BT . With Arrogant people in charge such as GOODLand not a chance M8.

th'engineer
08-07-2003, 19:54
Now we have the AOL deal think he really needs to go think of all the extra customers he can upset

matty4donna
08-07-2003, 20:02
no :)

th'engineer
08-07-2003, 20:02
why not then

matty4donna
08-07-2003, 20:10
i can't see that he has done much wrong and he seems to be one of the few people at ntl: who know what they are talking about.

kronas
08-07-2003, 20:12
Originally posted by matty4donna
i can't see that he has done much wrong and he seems to be one of the few people at ntl: who know what they are talking about.

hold on a sec he thinks every customer is dumb a noob we dont know how much 1gb is hes wrong thats an insult to peoples intelligence

also wasent he the one who instigated this cap ?

kronas
08-07-2003, 20:19
Originally posted by Andre
Do you mean a 'n00b'? ;)

yes whatever we are not all l33t :p

Yes he was.

so what has he done right then ?

he should go but he wont he seems to be an arrogant SOB and i dont think he will leave

matty4donna
08-07-2003, 20:19
so let me get this straight.... you lot think he was the only reason why the "cap" came about? you dont think that there is a team of advisors at ntl: who sat down and discussed ways to try to calm down excessive users of their broadband services in a bid to keep the network running smooth?

kronas
08-07-2003, 20:24
so let me get this straight.... you lot think he was the only reason why the "cap" came about? you dont think that there is a team of advisors at ntl: who sat down and discussed ways to try to calm down excessive users of their broadband services in a bid to keep the network running smooth?

he is the NTL internet technical directer he has huge input on what goes on with the BB service his head should roll for it............

matty4donna
08-07-2003, 20:25
and has the cap affected you really?

kronas
08-07-2003, 20:27
and has the cap affected you really?

ill tell you one thing it has its telling me to mointer my usage it the service was first set out as no limits anywhere in the T&C so it should stay as that others can do it why cant NTL the service around here is excellent always has been i cant talk for other areas though they have problems

matty4donna
08-07-2003, 20:29
i reguarly go way over 1GB on my cable connection, i do a lot of downloading and file transferring, but i have not yet been contacted by ntl: i dont really believe they enforce it much, its just a kind of "scare tactic" to try and prevent people from really excessive use.

My area does not have problems, however i know there are many area's that do and their level of service has probably increased since the "cap".

Escapee
08-07-2003, 20:43
Personally the cap didn't affect me, so I don't suppose my view really counts.

The cap decision was nothing more than paranoia from ntl, they had no money to spend and pressure to improve the performance of the network.
In olden days ntl allways threw lot's of money at a problem, I worked for a cable company that I admit was a lot smaller than ntl, but they had no money to spend and had to rely on skills to keep things running on a shoestring.

ntl these days don't have anywhere as many skilled pople as they used to have, from people walking and planning for growth etc. This makes it very hard for them to adequately control their problems, hence the many sledgehammer to crack a nut situations we hear about these days.

Anyway the poll should of included an option like "Why stop at him":D

Womble
08-07-2003, 20:43
Do you realise in the USA, the Cable Co's are reporting people with large bandwidth usage to the copyright people. Follow the link below for a more enlightened view regarding capping, deep packet inspection etc etc.

http://www.cabletoday.com/pubs/ct2/0703_pondering.asp

matty4donna
08-07-2003, 20:45
How would you also then feel, if your area was a 'problematic' one, but got better because ntl came down hard with their cap? (and by that-I mean came down hard on people like you) I would'nt be too bothered either way as i have a 2mb ADSL connection too :D

Seriously though, i can see what you mean, but i cannot see that the cap really affects the majority of users and i cannot see why you all want Mr Goodland out of his job. I was opposed to the cap fiercely at first (anyone who remembers the arguments i had about it with "pro-cap" supporters over at .com will know that lol) but now i have realised that it does not really affect the way i or any of my friends/family use their ntl: connections. :)

kronas
08-07-2003, 20:55
another reason why i dont like the cap is because it just makes NTL think they can walk all over us if we let this go then pay per mb will be enforced in the future this way it could make them think not to go that way from a business prospective

matty4donna
08-07-2003, 20:57
Originally posted by kronas
another reason why i dont like the cap is because it just makes NTL think they can walk all over us if we let this go then pay per mb will be enforced in the future this way it could make them think not to go that way from a business prospective if ntl: were to start charging per mb believe me, unless the ADSL providers did the same ntl: would be dead within 6 months and i really cant see them doing it. Its ok for applications such as GPRS but for something like broadband internet people would not stand for it and ntl: know it.

Defiant
08-07-2003, 20:59
"He should stay NTL needs Clowns!" haha yea sure you really think they need more clowns. They still have the idiot that got them in 12 billion debt at the helm LOL

kronas
08-07-2003, 21:01
if ntl: were to start charging per mb believe me, unless the ADSL providers did the same ntl: would be dead within 6 months and i really cant see them doing it. Its ok for applications such as GPRS but for something like broadband internet people would not stand for it and ntl: know it.

it hasent stopped US and australian ISP doing it and one aussie ISP was struggling to attract customers it will happen in europe but we must fight it before it becomes an issue and the is annoying to me because its a limit on an unlimited service and partly is about pay per mb

th'engineer
08-07-2003, 21:05
I think he has a new career as a clown have you heard all his BS on channel NTL and buy NTL.