PDA

View Full Version : Phantom Phone Call on my bill. Will more follow???

SMHarman
23-01-2004, 18:18
Just got my Bill to Jan 14th and noticed it was 6p more than usual. Hmm strange better look at this.

Well apparantly I made a phone call on the 14th.

While I do have an NTL phone socket, nothing is plugged into it and it is fairly inaccessable. Nobody else in the house (my wife and 15month old) have pulled a phone from another socket walked to this one, plugged the phone in and called a random local number that also happens to be an NTL line.

Called NTL and got through in 30 seconds, on both calls. The first CSR tried to convince me I must have made the call told me when and where (as not itemised), even called the number to tell me who it was (no idea).

Called again (30 seconds again), the second CSR I spoke to, (I was going to let the billing go through but then got really narked) agreed that I was probably telling the truth. My bill is 72.99 a month every month without fail - I use BT for my voice comms - agreed to credit the call on next months bill.

But...
How did it get on there?
Will I see more next month?
Is someone abusing my NTL line?

NTL cannot tell me this they say they can only see call charges once they are billed. Is this true? I don't want a suprise when the next billing cycle comes around?

GazzaB
23-01-2004, 20:01
Mmmmm most strange, why don't you ask Ntl for a call bar to be applied for your peace of mind if you don't use the line!

SMHarman
23-01-2004, 23:24
Mmmmm most strange, why don't you ask Ntl for a call bar to be applied for your peace of mind if you don't use the line!

Actually NTL offered this, but I like the comfort that if my NTL BB and BT ISDN fail I still have a backup, as such I declined.

SMHarman
26-01-2004, 12:44
I'm gonna bump this one last time.

Is it really true that while you can go to the BT website and see the value of the calls made since your last bill, nobody at NTL can see what calls have been made on a line until the billing cycle ends?

Any knowledge would be appreciated.

ian@huth
26-01-2004, 14:27
I had something similar happen a few months ago. There was a call charged (forgot how much for) to a NTL number (NTL itself, not a NTL customer) that I know no one made from our phones. I couldn't be bothered to take this any further after calling NTL a couple of times and getting fed up of waiting in the queue. It may have been a NTL engineer connecting into my line at the green box is all that I can think of.

deedee
26-01-2004, 14:35
as far as i'm aware, you can call cs at anytime & request an unbilled call total. there should be no reson why they can't tell you if some calls have been made or not! the actual numbers, dates, times etc cannot be disclosed until the bill cycle ends.
this is the case in my region at least...