PDA

View Full Version : Email OE downloads again and again

MovedGoalPosts
20-06-2003, 21:12
My email (outlook Express on WIn XP) has started to repeatedly download the same messages from the ntl server.

Ive checked the account propery settings in OE the advanced box has the "leave a copy on server" box unticked. AS the server is checked every 15 minutes or so , it downloads the whole lot again, even if I've deleted them. I've closed OE, I've even rebooted. Its becoming a pain 'cos the account is full of spam.

Yes I do have a firewall and current antivirus. Iv'e also downloaded all Micorsoft patches that the puter prompts me to do.

Any ideas?

mmm
21-06-2003, 10:54
Originally posted by MovedGoalPosts
My email (outlook Express on WIn XP) has started to repeatedly download the same messages from the ntl server.

Ive checked the account propery settings in OE the advanced box has the "leave a copy on server" box unticked. AS the server is checked every 15 minutes or so , it downloads the whole lot again, even if I've deleted them. I've closed OE, I've even rebooted. Its becoming a pain 'cos the account is full of spam.

Yes I do have a firewall and current antivirus. Iv'e also downloaded all Micorsoft patches that the puter prompts me to do.

Any ideas?

I've had this problem with PCCILLIN antivirus, but I usually have the leave copy on server ticked but delete when deleted ticked. When OE thinks the settings have changed it downloads all again. I had to switch off email scanning and manually remove localhost etc from the email accounts, and haven't had the problem since - or used mail AV scanning!

purple
21-06-2003, 14:09
the other one it could be is that if for some reason the program isn't finishing the connection properly then the emails will not be deleted, as teh servers will only delete your mails once the email proggy logs off.

as to fixing it..... errr.... not too sure.

MovedGoalPosts
21-06-2003, 23:12
Cheers for the suggestions.

I've had to go into the ntl online mail system and delete EVERYTHING from all my mail accounts (so much for 90 was longer)days storage). Having cleared that, and all copies of emails already in OE, it seems to have stopped downloading new stuff.

Bit of a pain really as if anyone sent me anything important in the last few days, I'll have had to delete it, and probably didn't read it in the first place cos I'd got 50 versions of it (imagine a mailbox with 1000 unread items expanding at 200 items every 15 minutes and you'll get the idea).

Just got to hope that ntl dont come after me for the size of my recent downloads!