PDA

View Full Version : pbx switchboards at home

Dave Stones
19-01-2004, 15:23
might seem like a daft question, but does anyone have any experience of these? the house we have bought for next year has an option to have a pbx switching system installed to save us having to buy a separate line each, we have extensions in the house and can route calls to each other etc if someone picks up. im sure you know how a switchboard works...

anyway yes does anyone know anywhere decent where i can read up about these? google is being an idiot today at uni...

tkiely
19-01-2004, 15:26
sorry havnt got any good links but from experience I would say that a lot of the small PBXs tend to require dedicated handsets, usually because they are digital.

This can be a pain

Bifta
19-01-2004, 15:33
might seem like a daft question, but does anyone have any experience of these? the house we have bought for next year has an option to have a pbx switching system installed to save us having to buy a separate line each, we have extensions in the house and can route calls to each other etc if someone picks up. im sure you know how a switchboard works...

anyway yes does anyone know anywhere decent where i can read up about these? google is being an idiot today at uni...

If they're going to install a switch for you, go for it, it's easier to work out who'll owe what on the phone bill as most offer some form of call logging, be careful if you intend to get ADSL installed as you'll need a dedicated exchange line for that afaik.

Dave Stones
19-01-2004, 15:35
nah, its telewest cable ;)

we are just weighing up whether it is better value to go for a switching system and only have one line in the house, or to have a line in each bedroom...

Stuartbe
19-01-2004, 16:31
nah, its telewest cable ;)

we are just weighing up whether it is better value to go for a switching system and only have one line in the house, or to have a line in each bedroom...

Maplins used to do small pbx box that you programmed by touch tone that was not to bad. I think it was about £100.00

May be worth a look

handyman
19-01-2004, 17:23
If they're going to install a switch for you, go for it, it's easier to work out who'll owe what on the phone bill as most offer some form of call logging, be careful if you intend to get ADSL installed as you'll need a dedicated exchange line for that afaik.

ADSL need only be put in before the PABX switch with the switch plugged into the other port on the microfilter.

However since its a cable telco line his only option will be to have telewest BB [not a bad option either]

Dave Stones
20-01-2004, 10:48
ADSL need only be put in before the PABX switch with the switch plugged into the other port on the microfilter.

However since its a cable telco line his only option will be to have telewest BB [not a bad option either]

oh we can have BT as well if we want. its just that the company that sort everything out do it cheaper thru telewest.

(the region is adsl enabled as well as cabled and sky'd -- lucky us ;))

is there actually any merit in paying for one of these pabx things, or is it just an excuse to get more money from us?

Bifta
20-01-2004, 10:52

Perhaps it depends on the switch, I know we had to have our line converted to ISDN first, and I'm probably wrong but isn't their issues with installing ADSL on ISDN lines?

handyman
20-01-2004, 12:18
Perhaps it depends on the switch, I know we had to have our line converted to ISDN first, and I'm probably wrong but isn't their issues with installing ADSL on ISDN lines?

correct, you cannot use adsl on a isdn line.

SMHarman
20-01-2004, 13:07
correct, you cannot use adsl on a isdn line.

And if BT can't get ADSL to work on your line you have to pay again to get it converted back into ISDN and there are no number portability options for your second analoge and digital number.

oh we can have BT as well if we want. its just that the company that sort everything out do it cheaper thru telewest.

(the region is adsl enabled as well as cabled and sky'd -- lucky us ;))

is there actually any merit in paying for one of these pabx things, or is it just an excuse to get more money from us?

Do you want to be able to call inter room. Do you need more phones than the lines REN number can support. Do you want (if the PABX has the facility) itemised billing at the PABX to split the phone bill.

Will you be using this or Cable BB for internet connection, will that be the same for all members of the house?

Are there any chatty people in the house who may hog a single line. Would multiple lines be better. Does anyone have mobile phones they are likely to be using instead?

Just some of my thoughts.

altis
20-01-2004, 14:27
Some more options here (http://www.phones4less.co.uk/acatalog/Phones4Less_Self_Install_So_Ho_Telephone_Systems_1 1.html) - may be cheaper. We have the SmarTalk and it's fine apart from some hum on two of the phones.