PDA

View Full Version : NTL Officialy nowhere

willo
19-01-2004, 13:22
http://theregister.co.uk/content/6/34962.html :rolleyes: Not even a mention in the ISP industry awards. Beaten into touch by the likes of freeserve and tiscali. :rofl:

Neil
19-01-2004, 13:26
Best Consumer Broadband ISP

Blueyonder from Telewest Broadband
Bulldog Communications
Freeserve
Pipex
Tiscali
UK Online

:angel:

etccarmageddon
19-01-2004, 13:29
I am puzzled as to why bulldog gets on this list - after reading/monitoriing their problems on the ADSL guide forums I wouldnt expect them to get good reviews.

orangebird
19-01-2004, 14:01
I find this more than a little worrying... :erm:

Neil
19-01-2004, 14:10
I find this more than a little worrying... :erm:

Lo 'Orange' :)

It's a shame that the same level of worry isn't displayed by those at the top of the ntl tree (I'm sure I can stick in a monkey/tree joke here somewhere!)

It's apparent that thay don't, & I can't help but feel with ADSL becoming ever more easier for people to obtain, that they will live to regret the apathetic that they have displayed for so long.

(Not aimed at you obviously!)

trebor
19-01-2004, 14:11
LOL at last the recognition NTL deserve

orangebird
19-01-2004, 14:16
Lo 'Orange' :)

It's a shame that the same level of worry isn't displayed by those at the top of the ntl tree (I'm sure I can stick in a monkey/tree joke here somewhere!)

It's an entirely selfish worry....unfortunately for me, I only have my salary to live on - if things do go pearshaped, I'm sure our illustrious leaders have a few spare pennies or share options (:mad: ) in the bank to pay the mortgage ...:erm:

It's apparent that thay don't, & I can't help but feel with ADSL becoming ever more easier for people to obtain, that they will live to regret the apathetic that they have displayed for so long.

Why should they care? Whether ntl wins or loses (business wise), they'll walk away with healthier bank balances...

(Not aimed at you obviously!)

I should hope not!!! :eek: ;)

ntluser
19-01-2004, 14:35
It's an entirely selfish worry....unfortunately for me, I only have my salary to live on - if things do go pearshaped, I'm sure our illustrious leaders have a few spare pennies or share options (:mad: ) in the bank to pay the mortgage ...:erm:

Why should they care? Whether ntl wins or loses (business wise), they'll walk away with healthier bank balances...

I should hope not!!! :eek: ;)

Hi Orange,

It's sad really that when NTL is doing well the bosses get the perks, big salaries, pay rises etc and the workers get a pittance and when things are going badly the bosses get the perks, big salaries, pay rises etc and the workers get redundancy!

Fortunately, I notice that a few other organisations making cuts are cutting managerial positions at head office so the chickens may come home to roost yet at NTL!!

Stand by to take over a vacant position!! ;)

You might end up as CEO!!

Have a good day!!

orangebird
19-01-2004, 17:38
Hi Orange,

It's sad really that when NTL is doing well the bosses get the perks, big salaries, pay rises etc and the workers get a pittance and when things are going badly the bosses get the perks, big salaries, pay rises etc and the workers get redundancy!

Fortunately, I notice that a few other organisations making cuts are cutting managerial positions at head office so the chickens may come home to roost yet at NTL!!

Stand by to take over a vacant position!! ;)

You might end up as CEO!!

Have a good day!!

ME? CEO? ROFLMAO!!! :D :D :D

I would make sure we had good Xmas dos' at least! ;)

Frank
19-01-2004, 17:58
Not even a mention in the ISP industry awards. Beaten into touch by the likes of freeserve and tiscali.Good, that will wipe the smug grin off their faces which they've had every other year.

orangebird
19-01-2004, 18:04
Good, that will wipe the smug grin off their faces which they've had every other year.

You sound rather bitter??? :erm:

It's an ISP, no more, no less.... :shrug:

Frank
19-01-2004, 18:16
It's an ISP, no more, no less.... :shrug:Yes it is, and it's also a big problem for a lot of people. Take a look around this forum to see the evidence :)

I'm not bitter, I just hope them not being nominated will give them a kick up the arse they need to improve their service.

Shaun
19-01-2004, 18:27
Best Consumer Broadband ISP

Blueyonder from Telewest Broadband
Bulldog Communications
Freeserve
Pipex
Tiscali
UK Online

Best move I ever made ;)

Russ
19-01-2004, 18:32
Isn't Bulldog Communications NTL's other trading name?

Oh hang on, that's Bull**** Communications, my bad :dunce:

Stuartbe
19-01-2004, 18:39
Isn't Bulldog Communications NTL's other trading name?

Oh hang on, that's Bull**** Communications, my bad :dunce:

:rofl: :D

etccarmageddon
19-01-2004, 18:57
looks like bulldog are a lot more interesting than NTL when it comes to product promotion:-

http://www.bulldogdsl.com/residential/products/alltime/a2000.asp

2mb for £38 a month plus £60 connection and you have to buy a modem...

perhaps the NTL marketing team could learn from this?

Stuartbe
19-01-2004, 19:01
They cant be that short of cash.

They can afford to have a big stand in luton town centre with " award winning broadband service " written all over it. !!!

They could have upgraded a mail server for the money they must have spent on the stand !!

abailey152
19-01-2004, 19:22
They cant be that short of cash.

They can afford to have a big stand in luton town centre with " award winning broadband service " written all over it. !!!
What's the award they've won? Most W*** ISP of the Year?

rodd
19-01-2004, 19:49
You sound rather bitter??? :erm:

It's an ISP, no more, no less.... :shrug:But apparently less than more.

trebor
19-01-2004, 20:56
But apparently less than more.

a lot of people will be happy when NTL is an isp no more
:rofl:

Proppinupthebar
19-01-2004, 20:58
Due to happen anytime soon?

Mick
19-01-2004, 21:38
:rofl:No trebor, alot of people will be happier when they get the service they deserve, I do not think anyone in the right mind wants to see ntl go under they just want the attitudes of some of those at the 'top' to change.

trebor
19-01-2004, 22:50
No trebor, alot of people will be happier when they get the service they deserve, I do not think anyone in the right mind wants to see ntl go under they just want the attitudes of some of those at the 'top' to change.

nice thoughts but what will happen first, the ntl management will change the current policy which gives them big bonus's and the customers a poor service.
or will the NTL bull*hit machine roll along until the company looks like a good buy and then the highly paid managers will sell it and get another huge bonus.

Proppinupthebar
19-01-2004, 22:53
nice thoughts but what will happen first, the ntl management will change the current policy which gives them big bonus's and the customers a poor service.
or will the NTL bull*hit machine roll along until the company looks like a good buy and then the highly paid managers will sell it and get another huge bonus.

Mmmm the bond holders who own the company may have something to say about this. The managers have to answer to the bond holders

MovedGoalPosts
20-01-2004, 00:57
What's the award they've won? Most W*** ISP of the Year?

I think ntl claim to have won the "Practical Internet Magazine" or some such minor publications awards back in the dim dark ages of 2002. Surely there ought to be some sell by date after which "award winning" is out of date in advertising?

Frank
20-01-2004, 01:01
I think ntl claim to have won the "Practical Internet Magazine" or some such minor publications awards back in the dim dark ages of 2002. Surely there ought to be some sell by date after which "award winning" is out of date in advertising?Practical Internet 2003 Reader Awards

http://www.frankw.net/blog/archives/2004/01/ISPA_announces_finalists_for_annual_industry_award s.php

MovedGoalPosts
20-01-2004, 01:09
Practical Internet 2003 Reader Awards

http://www.frankw.net/blog/archives/2004/01/ISPA_announces_finalists_for_annual_industry_award s.php

I stand corrected :dunce:

orangebird
20-01-2004, 10:29

Accept for the 13000 odd that work them.... :rolleyes:

etccarmageddon
20-01-2004, 12:50
at the end of the day it's the workers who pay for all this.

the men at the top get rewarded for good performance and as barclay demonstrated bad performance.

ntluser
20-01-2004, 12:55
Mmmm the bond holders who own the company may have something to say about this. The managers have to answer to the bond holders

I think you'll find that the bondholders are already pulling the strings and determining policy. Problem is that they and the managers seem to be all 'finance and profit' focused and not 'quality of service' focused.

The result is that NTL operates on a minimum staffing structure with all the minions working like mad in stressful working conditions, hence the high degree of unhappiness voiced through the forums.

Though customers are unhappy, the NTL staff are unhappy too because they are caught between an aggressive but not necessarily competent management and several angry customers. While the management may not deserve our sympathy the lower minions forced to face customers do.

asdf
20-01-2004, 14:57
Name a company which is not finance and profit focused. Every company that I've had experience with works on a minimum staffing structure.

Staffing is the biggest expense and when times are tough like at the moment they are the first thing to be cut back on and restricted.

It sucks big time and I'm a little annoyed myself as I've just had three hours knocked off my contract a week. Which is a fair amount of money I'll be loosing a month now :/

rodd
20-01-2004, 15:55
I think ntl claim to have won the "Practical Internet Magazine" or some such minor publications awards back in the dim dark ages of 2002. Surely there ought to be some sell by date after which "award winning" is out of date in advertising?I believe the editor of Practical Internet Magazine works at ntl, as I understood it at .com, and also from the 'cp' of 'ajay' AKA Ashley Middleton..... Ashley Middleton is Ashley Grossman's boss.

Just an info snippet that I think is correct....but correct me if I am wrong.

ntluser
20-01-2004, 19:58
Name a company which is not finance and profit focused. Every company that I've had experience with works on a minimum staffing structure.

Staffing is the biggest expense and when times are tough like at the moment they are the first thing to be cut back on and restricted.

It sucks big time and I'm a little annoyed myself as I've just had three hours knocked off my contract a week. Which is a fair amount of money I'll be loosing a month now :/

Sorry to hear about the loss of pay.

I did warn you about the focus on 'finance and profit'. Unfortunately, as you've discovered, the focus does get a bit blurred when it comes to the issue of loyalty to staff.

asdf
23-01-2004, 00:09
Not your fault mate, tis the knockon effect of a crappy christmas and a lack of customer confidence in the travel industry. Who'd of thought that Sept 11th would still be having an effect? :/