PDA

View Full Version : Grrrrrrr

Ben
19-01-2004, 09:41
Well where shall I start

On Friday (16th) I came home from work and was greeted by the g/f who told me the TV had lost most of its channels :rolleyes:

Oh great I thought what's happened. Checked my internet and the modem is flashing very quick! Check a webpage and.....nothing

They cut me off!!!! :eek: :eek: Check phone and nothing!

Well I'm not a happy bunny as I thought all was well. I phone up and to cut a long story short they tried to take there money out on the 15th - Now they normally take there money on the 10th or 11th which the money would of been in there. Now with it being Christmas as well I was spending money like you do. I had no idea there money did not come out as I never did get a bill though the door or any warning that I had not paid them. The bill I got though this month which was not until the beginning of this month stated they tried to take the money on the 15th but then they also tried to take it on the 18th as well! Now on my statement it says nothing about them trying to take anything on the 18th as I was paid on that date! So they could of taken it! But didn't!

Anyway I phone them up and nope they wont restore my service until I have paid them - what a surprise! But this is not my fault - If they let me change my DD date like I asked a long long long time ago myself and NTL would not have this issue

Lets see if anyone else can understand my situation -

I get paid the 23rd of each month now NTL insist upon taking there money on the 10 or 11th (or 15th in this case) which is basically bang on my last week and low and behold I'm skint on that week!

TAKE YOU MONEY WHEN I GET PAID LIKE EVERY OTHER COMPANY.

Anyway when I have told them I have had enough and am going over to BT/Sky and want to end my contract I'm told I can't because I when I moved 6 months ago I took out a new 12 month contract! :eek: - I mean what I was never told anything about a new 12 month contract! They just turned around and moved my service to a new flat and said nothing about a new contract! (They did it free too cause I was getting discount) so what the F*** are they on about :rolleyes:

So now I have no services until I get paid as I have no money till then. I asked for them to restore my service as at the end of the day if they took the money on a normal date I asked for there would be no problem as they could have there money every month without fail.

I have been speaking to a "Jay" in customer relations who said give him till Tuesday to sort out my internet but TV/Phone would have to stay off until I pay them

So I have been without internet/TV/Phone for the whole weekend. Time to phone the MD of my region me thinks. I have had enough of NTL
:mad:

gary_580
19-01-2004, 10:06
Do you go to the cinema and expect to pay half way through the film?? no you pay in advance, if you cant manage your money then dont pay by direct debit!!

Sorry to be so abrupt but if you dont pay on time dont expect good service is my view.

Ben
19-01-2004, 10:08
Do you go to the cinema and expect to pay half way through the film?? no you pay in advance, if you cant manage your money then dont pay by direct debit!!

Sorry to be so abrupt but if you dont pay on time dont expect good service is my view.

I expect to be able to change my DD date like every other company out there.

gary_580
19-01-2004, 10:11
I expect to be able to change my DD date like every other company out there.

Most companes DO NOT let you choose the direct debit date, some give you a couple of options. It would cost companies a fortune to run BACS processes every day of the month to collect direct debits.

I get paid on the 25th of every month, but have no concerns at all with NTL taking the maney on the 15th, its not ideal because i havent even had the bill when i get paid so dont know how much im going to have to pay, but ive had the service long enough to be able to guess.

tkiely
19-01-2004, 10:11
Surely it should be, if ntl can't operate their direct debit service like everyone else, then they shouldnt offer the service!

Funny how they won't change your payment date when asked but when I look back at my old bills I see that my payment date drifts around all over the place between the 6th and the 13th of the mth.

never mind, BT are coming this week :-)

gary_580
19-01-2004, 10:13
Surely it should be, if ntl can't operate their direct debit service like everyone else, then they shouldnt offer the service!

Funny how they won't change your payment date when asked but when I look back at my old bills I see that my payment date drifts around all over the place between the 6th and the 13th of the mth.

maybe they work on a 4 weekly cycle like most companies? id guess that they take the payment on the same day of the week

paulyoung666
19-01-2004, 10:14

fair comment , but they shouldnt change the payment date without prior notice and your authority

dd g'tee (http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/27/27-directdebit-guarantee.htm)

hth ben :)

Ben
19-01-2004, 10:14
Most companes DO NOT let you choose the direct debit date, some give you a couple of options. It would cost companies a fortune to run BACS processes every day of the month to collect direct debits.

I get paid on the 25th of every month, but have no concerns at all with NTL taking the maney on the 15th, its not ideal because i havent even had the bill when i get paid so dont know how much im going to have to pay, but ive had the service long enough to be able to guess.

ALL my bills come out on or around the 24th of every month. Why can't NTL? I should not need to keep money in the bank for only them to take the money when all by other bills are paid well in advance.

Not only that but it was christmas! Every other month has not been a problem an the DD failed by about £5

I then got paid like 3 days after and had no warning or anything from the company otherwsie I could of sorted it out there and then.

gary_580
19-01-2004, 10:15
fair comment , but they shouldnt change the payment date without prior notice and your authority

dd g'tee (http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/27/27-directdebit-guarantee.htm)

hth ben :)

no prior notice?? they send you a bill before they take the payment. They are then leagally entitled to change the date

dr wadd
Anyway when I have told them I have had enough and am going over to BT/Sky and want to end my contract I'm told I can't because I when I moved 6 months ago I took out a new 12 month contract! :eek: - I mean what I was never told anything about a new 12 month contract! They just turned around and moved my service to a new flat and said nothing about a new contract! (They did it free too cause I was getting discount) so what the F*** are they on about :rolleyes:

I think you probably have every right to tell them to go f**k themselves. You were bound by the original 12 month contract which you took with you when you moved as NTL won`t let you out of that. But I wouldn`t have thought they can`t use that as an underhand way to trigger a new 12 month contract.

I had a similar thing with T-Mobile when I tried to cancel last month, they argued that because they had changed my tarrif slightly a couple of months back that triggered a new 12 month contract. I told them that's what they might think, but without my signature to confirm that I had accepted this they could basically go whistle. They soon backed down.

That said, I would be careful to check what you signed when you got the new installation done, it could be buried in the small print there that you accepted a new 12 month contract as part of the move.

tkiely
It would cost companies a fortune to run BACS processes every day of the month to collect direct debits.

Rubbish! with BACS-IP (web based admin of BACS processes, available to any company) they can take the payment whenever they like at no extra cost at all.

NTL just cant be bothered to do something which would improve their collections record by enabling their customers to pay promptly.

paulyoung666
19-01-2004, 10:16
i had a similar problem with my car insurance and it cost me £60 in bank charges , when i got onto my bank they refunded the charges when i explained the situation :)

gary_580
19-01-2004, 10:16
ALL my bills come out on or around the 24th of every month. Why can't NTL? I should not need to keep money in the bank for only them to take the money when all by other bills are paid well in advance.

Not only that but it was christmas! Every other month has not been a problem an the DD failed by about £5

I then got paid like 3 days after and had no warning or anything from the company otherwsie I could of sorted it out there and then.

I bet your council tax doesnt. Mine is fixed on something like 13th, they wont change that either. I have a life assurance policy, the company say that the payment date on that is fixed to. Its not just NTL.

Nemesis
19-01-2004, 10:17
Rubbish! with BACS-IP (web based admin of BACS processes, available to any company) they can take the payment whenever they like at no extra cost at all.

NTL just cant be bothered to do something which would improve their collections record by enabling their customers to pay promptly.THe previous BACS system was cumbersome and could prove expensive, but as stated the new BACS-IP is a much smoother and cost effective way of doing it. The banks are expected to have BACS-IP fully up and running by the end of the 1st quarter this year.

gary_580
19-01-2004, 10:17

NTL just cant be bothered to do something which would improve their collections record by enabling their customers to pay promptly.

Every file of transacations processed by BACS has a cost on top of the per transaction cost

BACS IP isnt widely used right now and NTL wont be using it. The banks have pots of cash to spend on implementing it and havent done so yet

Neil
19-01-2004, 10:18

I think you're missing the point Gary, ntl took the money late, that is nobody's fault but ntl's.

They also are lying to Ben by saying he is now in a new 12 month contract following the transfer of his services to his new address. :afire:

Ben-tell them to poke it, & get Sky/ADSL, it's the only way companies learn when people vote with their feet/wallets.

[Edit]-Also, ntl are the only company that I have ever dealt with that are not flexible with their DD dates, & this is purely because their billing system can't hack multiple date changes. :rolleyes:

dr wadd
19-01-2004, 10:18
no prior notice?? they send you a bill before they take the payment. They are then leagally entitled to change the date

Yes, but you are overlooking the authority bit, and that authority would need to be confirmed by explicit consent, not assumed by not getting in touch with them to challenge it.

dr wadd
19-01-2004, 10:20
I bet your council tax doesnt. Mine is fixed on something like 13th, they wont change that either. I have a life assurance policy, the company say that the payment date on that is fixed to. Its not just NTL.

*Every* other company that I pay by direct debit has given me the choice of billing date. A couple didn`t let me choose just any date, but they did give me a choice of several spread out over the month. Are you sure you're not getting fobbed off by your assurance company?

Ben
19-01-2004, 10:21
Whatever the case they didn't imform me that the DD failed and didn't inform me they where going to cut me off. They just went ahead and cut me off without giving me any warning.

Now I can understand that these things might be automated but jeez they can have there money on payday as i will pay them right away but I want my services back otherwise I'm off - I have been with them for 3 + years and this is how they treat me? Sorry but I feel I will be moving over to BT/Sky as soon as a possibly can as I feel I have been deceved about the contract anyway

paulyoung666
19-01-2004, 10:21
Yes, but you are overlooking the authority bit, and that authority would need to be confirmed by explicit consent, not assumed by not getting in touch with them to challenge it.

kinda where i was coming from my mate :)

gary_580
19-01-2004, 10:23
I think you're missing the point Gary, ntl took the money late, that is nobody's fault but ntl's.

They also are lying to Ben by saying he is now in a new 12 month contract following the transfer of his services to his new address. :afire:

Ben-tell them to poke it, & get Sky/ADSL, it's the only way companies learn when people vote with their feet/wallets.

[Edit]-Also, ntl are the only company that I have ever dealt with that are not flexible with their DD dates, & this is purely because their billing system can't hack multiple date changes. :rolleyes:

i agree about the 12 month contract but. But taking the money late should not be a prob, if they took it early then yes every reason to complain

gary_580
19-01-2004, 10:24

doesnt the DD guarentee only require them to inform you of a change. I dont believe any consent is required

gary_580
19-01-2004, 10:26
Whatever the case they didn't imform me that the DD failed and didn't inform me they where going to cut me off. They just went ahead and cut me off without giving me any warning.

Now I can understand that these things might be automated but jeez they can have there money on payday as i will pay them right away but I want my services back otherwise I'm off - I have been with them for 3 + years and this is how they treat me? Sorry but I feel I will be moving over to BT/Sky as soon as a possibly can as I feel I have been deceved about the contract anyway

you ought to check up about phones, (not sure if u said u had phone) but i think ppohne is classed as a vital service and therefore they are not allowed to cut you off without notice. I bleeive they are supposed to notify you and can stop u making outgoing calls except form emergency calls. I might be wrong but im sure ive read that somewhere

gary_580
19-01-2004, 10:27
*Every* other company that I pay by direct debit has given me the choice of billing date. A couple didn`t let me choose just any date, but they did give me a choice of several spread out over the month. Are you sure you're not getting fobbed off by your assurance company?

yes, i work for the said company

dr wadd
19-01-2004, 10:35
doesnt the DD guarentee only require them to inform you of a change. I dont believe any consent is required

Grr, you may be right on that one :) Just checked the DD Guarantee and it says they need to inform you 10 days in advance of the change. I don`t pay any of my NTL bills by DD so I can`t check any, but I wonder given NTL's track record on communication whether this was explicitly stated on the bill.

gary_580
19-01-2004, 10:37
Grr, you may be right on that one :) Just checked the DD Guarantee and it says they need to inform you 10 days in advance of the change. I don`t pay any of my NTL bills by DD so I can`t check any, but I wonder given NTL's track record on communication whether this was explicitly stated on the bill.

not sure but i think its supposed to tell you the date that it will be taken. Or at least state an date and thereafter to cover them taking it late. I haven't looked at my NTL bill so not sure what they say.

Ben
19-01-2004, 10:40
I think they say the money will come out between the 10th and 12th or between 2 dates. - I can't look at my bill either yet as I'm at work :eek:

Anyway I just either want my services back or i'm off simple - I think its bull about the new 12 months contract just because I have moved to a new flat

Neil
19-01-2004, 10:41
I think they say the money will come out between the 10th and 12th or between 2 dates. - I can't look at my bill either yet as I'm at work :eek:

Anyway I just either want my services back or i'm off simple - I think its bull about the new 12 months contract just because I have moved to a new flat

I would tell them to poke it m8, pay them what you owe them & get some decent service from a decent provider.

gary_580
19-01-2004, 10:48

i agree about the 12 months thing, but i bet theyre doing it to cover free installation. Did you sign anything when u moved? if not cant see there being a problem

andygrif
19-01-2004, 10:50

Whilst I sympathise with your situation, in my experience there are many companies that do not offer a choice of date to collect your Direct Debits. I know it can be difficult to ensure that there are always funds to last until they are due to be collected, but at the end of the day that is your responsibility, not ntl's.

Can I suggest a couple of options?

1. Try to plan forward to ensure that there is enough money in your account on the day things are due to be collected. Easier said than done I know, but it is the best solution all round.

A good way to do this is to open another current account, you bank will be happy to do this. The day you get paid, transfer all the outgoing money (council tax, water, phone, gas, etc) into this bills account, then you can be sure that nothing will be returned. Anything left over in your current account is yours to spend.

2. Arrange with the bank manager an overdraft to the amount you expect your ntl bill to be.

3. Pay by cheque. I know it will cost you £1 more a month, but it does solve your problem (assuming the chque clears of course).

I do understand that ntl are appaling at how they handle collection of payments and especially disconnections (rarely giving notice of such). But like I said, and sorry to sound hash here, it's your responsibility to make the money available to them.

Hope you can get your situation with ntl resolved.

tkiely
19-01-2004, 11:01
I would beg to differ on the usage levels for BACS-IP but as they say on Little Britain 'THATs not for here!'

The point is that NTL could change the DD dates if they were willing, the thing is they aren't and that inflexibility will cost them customers.

Neil
19-01-2004, 11:09
I would beg to differ on the usage levels for BACS-IP but as they say on Little Britain 'THATs not for here!'

The point is that NTL could change the DD dates if they were willing, the thing is they aren't and that inflexibility will cost them customers.

That pretty much sums it up for me.

orangebird
19-01-2004, 11:23
I'm sorry, but at the end of the day, your bill (and the funds to pay it) is your responsibility - it's not ntl's problem if you can't budget properly. I get paid on the last working day of each month - I also have dd's that are due a few days before then that I cannot change the day of - mobile phone, car insurance etc... I make sure that the money is there, simple as..... :shrug:

Ben
19-01-2004, 11:27
I'm sorry, but at the end of the day, your bill (and the funds to pay it) is your responsibility - it's not ntl's problem if you can't budget properly. I get paid on the last working day of each month - I also have dd's that are due a few days before then that I cannot change the day of - mobile phone, car insurance etc... I make sure that the money is there, simple as..... :shrug:

heh - so what your saying OB is that I can't change my DD date at all with NTL and because of that I have to make sure there are funds in my bank ? Ok no problem as I said it only failed the DD on £5

If I can't change my DD then I'm off and yet again NTL has lost another customer no warning that I was going to be cut of at all no phone call no letter nothing..... Oh lets cut him off on a firday :rolleyes: BS in my eyes utter BS

Shame that eh :p

orangebird
19-01-2004, 11:33
heh - so what your saying OB is that I can't change my DD date at all with NTL and because of that I have to make sure there are funds in my bank ? Ok no problem as I said it only failed the DD on £5

Basically, yes.... :rolleyes: What's the issue - you know what you earn and what you can afford a month, surely? As long as you know that, you should be able to ensure that all your bills are covered, REGARDLESS of when the dd is set up.

If I can't change my DD then I'm off and yet again NTL has lost another customer no warning that I was going to be cut of at all no phone call no letter nothing..... Oh lets cut him off on a firday :rolleyes: BS in my eyes utter BS

Shame that eh :p

You should have been warned.... that much you do have a right to be pi$$ed over.....

Have fun with BT and Sky :)

Ben
19-01-2004, 11:41
Have fun with BT and Sky :)

I wish it was that simple but it seems NTL might fight that fact I took out another 12 month contract when I moved into my new flat - although I don't think they can enforce this I think they will still try

I don't wanna stay with a company that deceives me into another 6 months!!

ian@huth
19-01-2004, 11:41
Whilst being able to specify what date your DD comes out on is preferable and I can't see why a company such as NTL can't accomodate your wishes it is your own problem to ensure that you have sufficient funds in your account to honour the DD request. I could sympathise if NTL had tried to take the money early, but late?

I find it diabolical though that your services should be cut off so soon after and with no attempt to contact you regarding the problem. There could be many reasons why a person does not have sufficient funds in their account to cover a DD that are not a fault of that person and a reasonable, customer focussed company would realise this and try to find out what the problem was before taking disconnection action.

orangebird
19-01-2004, 11:49
I wish it was that simple but it seems NTL might fight that fact I took out another 12 month contract when I moved into my new flat - although I don't think they can enforce this I think they will still try

That much is crap - do you have the number you need to get that dealt with? Transfers of addresses DO NOT start another 12 motnh contract, end of. :)

Neil
19-01-2004, 11:54
I wish it was that simple

It is that simple.

but it seems NTL might fight that fact I took out another 12 month contract when I moved into my new flat -

You didn't do this, & it's not enforceable by law-end of subject.

although I don't think they can enforce this I think they will still try

They can't-tell them to poke it, & inform them that you will have no problem referring this matter to OFTEL.

Can't argue with that m8.

Frank
19-01-2004, 12:14
I think Ofcom have finally taken over from Oftel now, but they will be more than happy to hear your complaint. This will affect ntl's complaint statistics too. Alternatively, there is a nice list you can use here:

http://www.ntli.info/index.php?page=index_v2&id=19&c=18

Neil
19-01-2004, 12:21
I think Ofcom have finally taken over from Oftel now, but they will be more than happy to hear your complaint. This will affect ntl's complaint statistics too. Alternatively, there is a nice list you can use here:

I've already given David Thatcher's details to Ben.....

Neil
19-01-2004, 13:16
Ben-here's where your next mouse click should be: http://www.bt.com/reconnect/index.jsp?obsNoSee=Y&vStore=1120&obsPage=/at_home.jsp&obsType=LINK&obsOID=46375

Want to reconnect now?

If you don't have an active BT line now, it's easy to get reconnected and enjoy great savings on all kinds of call. Just call us now on 0808 100 5152.

Here's where your 1st mouse click should be once you've got your BT line in (should only take about a week to get the number transferred :) ) http://www.bt.com/athome/at_home_2level.jsp?showsub=internet_at_home&obsNoSee=Y&vStore=1120&obsPage=/at_home.jsp&obsType=LINK&obsOID=46435

Just check your ADSL options, & then choose a provider. :)

Here's a choice for you of your next mouse click after that.....

http://www.freeview.co.uk/

http://www.sky.com/skycom/article/0,,90010-1078333,00.html?CMP=IL20915

Then wave ntl & their pi$$ poor version of customer service goodbye forever!

:wavey: ntl! :D

Ben
19-01-2004, 13:46
Update :

After speaking to "Jay" in customer relations he advised my modem had not be suspended but it could possibly be a fault (funny that seems everything got cut of at the same time)

Anyway I went home for lunch to check and lo and behold the modem was doing exactly the something so I phoned faults and asked them to speak to "Jay"

After holding for er around 15 min's he came back and said it was suspended and that he will now put it back on - yaaaaaaa at last!

Anyway gave him my MAC addy as he said it would make it take the command "faster" or something .. ok :erm: anyway he said it could take awhile for the modem to take the re-activation and to see if its on after work if not phone back :rolleyes:

What a pain in the ass - jeez

Also they have changed my direct debit date to the 27th (which is close but not the exact date I asked for) so you can do it but it takes a good few calls that's for sure. Now thats just to much work for me - as soon as I have sorted all my stuff out i'm off to ADSL :D

basa
19-01-2004, 13:53
One has to wonder if "Jay" might read these forums......which prompted the 'resolution' to your problem ???

On the other hand ... if he does - you're now doomed after reading your last sentence !!!! :eek:

Marge
19-01-2004, 13:58
Whats going on here??

no you haven't been suspended, yes you have :erm:
no we can't change you dd date, yes we can :erm:

I think this is just not good enough and you have every right to be annoyed with this conflicting information. Have to agree with OB's comments but you should be told the truth when ringing through. Debs shakes weary head. This has made a bad experience even worse.

andygrif
19-01-2004, 16:37
I agree, the lack of consistent information is quite worrying in this instance, but nothing new sadly.

Mick
19-01-2004, 17:02
You didn't do this, & it's not enforceable by law-end of subject.
Agreed. :angel:

Ben
19-01-2004, 17:37
At LAST!!!

I'm back on at home although I still had to phone them again and then they activated it while I was on the phone! All this 12 hours thing or might take a day it utter BS

Stuartbe
19-01-2004, 17:54
At LAST!!!

I'm back on at home although I still had to phone them again and then they activated it while I was on the phone! All this 12 hours thing or might take a day it utter BS

Do you feel like this - :banghead:

Ditch them and get adsl. !!!!! Why give your money to them ???

Florence
19-01-2004, 18:01

How comes NTL didn't try again on another date. I have one that ried three times before writing to me to say it had failed.. It had coz I had cancelled it but they still tried three times three different days with a day between each,

Ben
19-01-2004, 18:05
How comes NTL didn't try again on another date. I have one that ried three times before writing to me to say it had failed.. It had coz I had cancelled it but they still tried three times three different days with a day between each,

They did according to the bill the 18th which the funds would of been in there but checking my statment it says they didn't try at all although the bill states they did. :mad:

Florence
19-01-2004, 18:38
They did according to the bill the 18th which the funds would of been in there but checking my statment it says they didn't try at all although the bill states they did. :mad:

Ask your bank to verify they didn't try again and then ask for compensation for them breaking the terms of the contract between you and them.

Mr_Burns
19-01-2004, 18:59
Didn't your Bank write to you to tell you that a Direct Debit was not paid due to insufficient funds (and then charge you for the priviledge?) I used to work for one of the High Street Banks and whenever a payment was returned due to lack of funds, a letter was sent to the customer.

Just checked my bill and it says at the bottom "The total amount will be debited on or AFTER 13/01/2004"

Neil
19-01-2004, 22:59
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/contact_ofcom/telephony_complaint_query

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/27/27-directdebit-guarantee.htm

If there is a change in the amount to be paid or the payment date, the person receiving the payment (the originator) must notify the customer in advance. .

http://www.directdebit.co.uk/direct_debit_guarantee.php

If the amount to be paid or the payment dates change the organisation will notify you normally 10 working days in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed

Now that didn't happen did it? :rolleyes:

Tracy
20-01-2004, 09:11

Well, you lot are lucky then, getting a bill!!!

I never had a bill, from the moment I turned over to D/D 3 years ago. NTL stopped sending paper bills and the only way to keep track of the billing process was to check their site out on the internet. 3 years ago I sent an email asking why I wasnt receiving a paper bill and got no response. Never knew who to contact in writing, cos I didnt have a paper bill with an address. Never knew who contact in general cos the website never gave an address to write to. Only that confounded CS number which was constantly engaged. And my D/D's came out when NTL felt like it. When I set up the original D/D, I asked for a specific date and got the speel about its not company policy to designate a particular date at a customers request - due to their computer system! They agreed to take it out on the 15th of each month and most of the time it came out on the 10th and sometimes the 3rd or 4th of the month..... explain that one! Great if ya bank is full of cash and you dont have to watch the account with a microscope, bad if you dont account for a payment coming out willy nilly - agggghhh NTL need a kick up the butt - follow Neil's advice - get the NThell outta there - get another ISP.

poolking
20-01-2004, 09:26
I'm looking into getting sky for starters.

orangebird
20-01-2004, 09:41
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/contact_ofcom/telephony_complaint_query

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/27/27-directdebit-guarantee.htm

http://www.directdebit.co.uk/direct_debit_guarantee.php

Now that didn't happen did it? :rolleyes:

I haven't checked the wording, but I believe when companies set up dd agreements, it goes something like 'your money will be collected on the **th or after' or 'not before the **th'....

Their backs are usually covered - the only way you can challenge them if they take it before the agreed date... :shrug:

Tracy
20-01-2004, 10:38

I dont think they care about losing customers! They are losing customers every day - they didnt seem bothered that I closed my account with them - they didnt fall over themselves to rectify the problem - all they are interested in is how to get their money out of you. Somebody at Otelo told me that NTL has the most prolific complaints against them - speaks for itself, doesnt it??

This indifference and complacency comes from having more than their fair share of customers - "whats a few 100 off the books, we have 1,000's of customers"!!!! I hope that this complacency teaches NTL a lesson - I hate the thought that they just dont give a toss and treat you like a piece of dirt - *no* customer should be treated like that!

Ben
20-01-2004, 10:42
Well has taken me years to get my DD changed. They have always said no beofore - it's only when I said I want to end my contract thats they done it.

Even though I still have to wait and see if it works or not - whats the bets they take there money on the normal date instead of the ammended 27th :p :rolleyes:

Tracy
20-01-2004, 10:47

I used Otelo - Office of the Telecommunications Ombudsman in Warrington.

And I also contacted Ian Jeffers, MD for the Celtic Region, via email and post (with recorded delivery) - no response! Ignorance... ignorance...ignorance!

SMHarman
20-01-2004, 12:49

http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/showpost.php?p=7743&postcount=8

Looks like the new contract bit is bull. As is the no charge bit. So by the sounds of things you have served your time.

Had you thought about opening a second bank account, transferring a lump sum and all your direct debits to it, that way the total for your bills goes into it on pay day and your dd collectors can withdraw over the month. At the end of the month the balance should be near 0 and the process starts again.

Ben
20-01-2004, 13:32
Had you thought about opening a second bank account, transferring a lump sum and all your direct debits to it, that way the total for your bills goes into it on pay day and your dd collectors can withdraw over the month. At the end of the month the balance should be near 0 and the process starts again.

Good idea :angel: and I have thought of doing this but its getting the time to get down the town and do it (i'm a lazy sod really :angel: ) although it would make life alot easier :)

SMHarman
20-01-2004, 13:57
Good idea :angel: and I have thought of doing this but its getting the time to get down the town and do it (i'm a lazy sod really :angel: ) although it would make life alot easier :)

With most banks you can do a lot of this by post / internet or if they are as good as firstdirect by telephone.

The DD transfer is somthing they can do automatically without interference from the reqestor of the DD, so you won't need to worry about NTL inputting the details wrong, the bank effectively redirects the DD to the different account (I think).

andygrif
20-01-2004, 14:04

As previously suggested LOL

http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/showpost.php?p=118723&postcount=30

basa
20-01-2004, 14:37

Better still..open a new account and transfer what would be left over each month into the new account. That way you don't have to re set all your DD, transfers etc. :D

(Although thinking about it that 'left over' figure might be variable each month)

SMHarman
20-01-2004, 14:41
Better still..open a new account and transfer what would be left over each month into the new account. That way you don't have to re set all your DD, transfers etc. :D

(Although thinking about it that 'left over' figure might be variable each month)

But as I said, banks (well my experience is HSBC/Firstdirect) can transfer a DD between your accoutns with no intervention from the recipeint of the funds.

Or with your method you could get your eer to pay your salary into the new account and then you transfer the balance to the old account.

Ben
24-01-2004, 23:11
Right well paid them over the phone - Nice lady took my card detail and said my services would be restored (TV/Phone) - TV would take 20 minutes to come back but the phone would take 24 hours fair do's

That was at 11am this morning and no TV still :rolleyes: Rebooted the STB and still nothing :rolleyes:

Gonna have to phone them tommrow if its not back.

poolking
24-01-2004, 23:18
Right well paid them over the phone - Nice lady took my card detail and said my services would be restored (TV/Phone) - TV would take 20 minutes to come back but the phone would take 24 hours fair do's

That was at 11am this morning and no TV still :rolleyes: Rebooted the STB and still nothing :rolleyes:

Gonna have to phone them tommrow if its not back.
I suppose this would be in the same queue for upgrading your broadband speed?

Told by one CS it would take about 20 minutes, rang again only to be told by a different CS that there is a queue and could take up to 24 hrs to upgrade.

This happened 1 month ago. :D

Gotta keep smiling or you'd go insane. :D

Ben
25-01-2004, 14:31
Well still havn't got my channels back and its annoying me know considering I have paid them :mad:

Phoned them but oh! its a sunday and there closed :mad:

Colin
25-01-2004, 14:36
Well still

Phoned them but oh! its a sunday and there closed :mad:

One of the stupidest things they have ever done (well maybe not the stupidest, but you know what i mean)

Ben
18-02-2004, 14:20
*sigh*

Got my bill though this morning and found it to be higher then normal. Guess what they have messed my bill up AGAIN!!

I phoned them on my lunch break this afternoon and was greeted but a lady in the billing department (Tracy)

I explained the problem that they had overcharged me somewhere because my bill is not normally that high :eek: (The bill is sooo confusing I didn't know where to look!)

Anyway she had a look on her system and advised it does look "dodgy" :rolleyes:

Anyway she put me on hold for about 15 minutes! :mad: Came back and said she would need to phone me back in 10 minutes instead of keeping me on hold (fair enough but we know what there like) I thought I would make it a test to see if I do get a call back..

haha - No call back 20 minutes later :rolleyes: I phone up AGAIN and speak to Melanie this time. Told here I spoke to Tracy who advised she would phone me back in 10 minutes - So she went away to find her (another 10 minutes on hold) came back and said that Tracy had gone into training! I advised I had just spoken to her about 20 minutes ago and said she was suppose to phone me back in 10 minutes! Melanie advised that my bill did look wrong and would "credit" my account. Then I asked wtf is going on with Tracy because that is really really crap customer service! (we all know it happens everyday) She told me that Tracy hadn't even put a note on my account about it. So she took my phone call got up and walked off to training without telling ANYONE about this issue (maybe she expected me to not even phone back?)

Anyway very annoyed and as soon as payday arrives I'm off to BT/Sky (if they give me BS about being in a new 12 month because I moved to my new flat I think I will go loopy)

Stuartbe
18-02-2004, 14:57
*sigh*

Got my bill though this morning and found it to be higher then normal. Guess what they have messed my bill up AGAIN!!

I phoned them on my lunch break this afternoon and was greeted but a lady in the billing department (Tracy)

I explained the problem that they had overcharged me somewhere because my bill is not normally that high :eek: (The bill is sooo confusing I didn't know where to look!)

Anyway she had a look on her system and advised it does look "dodgy" :rolleyes:

Anyway she put me on hold for about 15 minutes! :mad: Came back and said she would need to phone me back in 10 minutes instead of keeping me on hold (fair enough but we know what there like) I thought I would make it a test to see if I do get a call back..

haha - No call back 20 minutes later :rolleyes: I phone up AGAIN and speak to Melanie this time. Told here I spoke to Tracy who advised she would phone me back in 10 minutes - So she went away to find her (another 10 minutes on hold) came back and said that Tracy had gone into training! I advised I had just spoken to her about 20 minutes ago and said she was suppose to phone me back in 10 minutes! Melanie advised that my bill did look wrong and would "credit" my account. Then I asked wtf is going on with Tracy because that is really really crap customer service! (we all know it happens everyday) She told me that Tracy hadn't even put a note on my account about it. So she took my phone call got up and walked off to training without telling ANYONE about this issue (maybe she expected me to not even phone back?)

Anyway very annoyed and as soon as payday arrives I'm off to BT/Sky (if they give me BS about being in a new 12 month because I moved to my new flat I think I will go loopy)

I totaly dissagree m8.....

They have never failed to call me ---- Every time my bill has been overdue they somehow manage to call me without fail ????? Funny that :D

Ben
18-02-2004, 15:08
I totaly dissagree m8.....

Disagree with what :confused: I'm telling you what happend :D

They have never failed to call me ---- Every time my bill has been overdue they somehow manage to call me without fail ????? Funny that :D

The bill being over due was awhile ago - this bill would be paid ontime but they overcharged me like they have done for months :rolleyes:

I'm getting sick and tired of it.

Stuartbe
18-02-2004, 15:10
Funny how they allways manage to call me if my bill is overdue though....

Cant say I blame you for getting fed up... When I move to my new place there is no way that there will be anything to do with ntl installed.

Ben
18-02-2004, 15:12
Funny how they allways manage to call me if my bill is overdue though....

Yea well they wouldn't call me they would just cut me off and expect me to phone them to sort it :mad: