PDA

View Full Version : Noton antivirus

Russ
17-01-2004, 21:32
Just reinstalled NAV 2002 and each time I boot up i get a message saying "Norton AntiVirus was unable to start email protection".

I've checked the Symantec site and it reckons I should play around with Zone Alarm...which would be fine if I had it on my machine...

The only thing I can think of is Spam Inspector which doesn't look like it has any known conflicts with it, so does anyone have any ideas?

Stuartbe
17-01-2004, 21:35
Just reinstalled NAV 2002 and each time I boot up i get a message saying "Norton AntiVirus was unable to start email protection".

I've checked the Symantec site and it reckons I should play around with Zone Alarm...which would be fine if I had it on my machine...

The only thing I can think of is Spam Inspector which doesn't look like it has any known conflicts with it, so does anyone have any ideas?

Could be a program that is hogging port 25 or 110. Have you turned off spam inspector and re-tried ???

Russ
17-01-2004, 21:38
Yep :(

Shaun
17-01-2004, 21:39
I use spam inspector and don't have any trouble with it at all, BUT alot of the update catalogs in Live Update are showing as "Not Available" :erm: Are you getting the same message?

Russ
17-01-2004, 21:40
Nope :(

Mal
17-01-2004, 21:42
Have you tried reinstalling it again?

Don't get me started with norton :afire:

Shaun
17-01-2004, 21:42
What version of Spam Inspector is it?

Maybe Symantec want you to go out and buy their anti spam stuff!

Russ
17-01-2004, 21:43
I've uninstalled, reinstalled....grrrrrrr

It's the latest version of SI.

Nemesis
17-01-2004, 21:48
I've uninstalled, reinstalled....grrrrrrr

It's the latest version of SI.
I've just gone through the same thing with 2004 ....

After uninstalling ... make sure you put the server names back to normal before reinstalling.

i.e pop.ntlworld.com etc

and make sure that the login in name doesn't have stuff on the end i.e /pop.ntlworld.com.

Worked for me :D

Shaun
17-01-2004, 21:50
I'm stumped, noting on google :(

I lied, http://www.giantcompany.com/(kkqnoo55qtleuv3urhhr0h45)/kbArticle.aspx?articleID=83 But thats for 2001 :confused:

Oh and Outlook express :o

homealone
17-01-2004, 22:23
have you ever had zonealarm installed on that pc.?

I run it & have no problems, but I have 'heard' it can be a bu**er to uninstall, completely.

you may need to run a registry cleanup application, before trying your install?:)

mrm1
17-01-2004, 22:25
Have you tried the the symantec unistaller from http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/3353489cd5cd08c388256c0e005a96e4/33497f6e8a319ece88256ace0076cc02/$FILE/Rnav2003.exe

I had the same problem which this cured.

basa
18-01-2004, 10:04
I've heard a lot lately about NAV and ZA not playing nicely and it appears both tend to leave 'snipers' behind even when supposedly uninstalled !!!

Personally I wont let either of those near my PC. :rolleyes:

DrAwesome
18-01-2004, 10:36
I've heard a lot lately about NAV and ZA not playing nicely and it appears both tend to leave 'snipers' behind even when supposedly uninstalled !!!

Personally I wont let either of those near my PC. :rolleyes:

ZA pro certainly does if you change subscription keys ZA pro tends to hold on to the first key (even if you un-install the util)

also in program control if you delete something that you no longer want to use through the firewall when you reset your pc you will find more than often that it has returned.

As for NAV i wont give that the time of day (its as useful as donkey snot)

abailey152
18-01-2004, 13:49

The only thing I can think of is Spam Inspector which doesn't look like it has any known conflicts with it, so does anyone have any ideas?I had a similar problem with NAV 2004 and found it to be a conflict with a news ticker bar I was trying called WorldFlash. Don't know how the email scanning was affected by this proggy, but as soon as I disabled the ticker bar, all was fine.

*edit* Another thing comes to mind....

When you re-install, do you clean NAV completely from your system, All folders, registry entries etc.? If not, it might be worth trying, just in case some corrupt entry or file has been left behind.

hawkseye000
18-01-2004, 14:36
"Norton AntiVirus was unable to start email protection".

I get this message about 1 in 20 times i start my PC up... it seems (on my PC) to have some relation to MSN messenger... as soon as i close messenger, NAV works fine... but i'm not sure how far this applies to you :)

Stuartbe
18-01-2004, 20:49
It the port is being reserved the only way you are going to know is :-

Uninstall NAV and restart...

When restarted run netstat -a from a command prompt. If port 25 is litening or listed as established then you know that something is using the port.

HTH

MadGamer
18-01-2004, 21:31
I had a similar problem with NAV 2004 and found it to be a conflict with a news ticker bar I was trying called WorldFlash. Don't know how the email scanning was affected by this proggy, but as soon as I disabled the ticker bar, all was fine.

*edit* Another thing comes to mind....

When you re-install, do you clean NAV completely from your system, All folders, registry entries etc.? If not, it might be worth trying, just in case some corrupt entry or file has been left behind. Teah that might be worth a try cos uts only 2003 onwards that when you uninstall it wipes the program folder and all the registery enteries etc...