PDA

View Full Version : Here's to the women!

Ramrod
17-01-2004, 08:39
Especially wives (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,175-966712,00.html) :)Only a quarter of directors in the Mori poll said their chairman, chief executive or managing director would be the first person they turned to for advice. Bob Arnold, director of the consultancy firm Chiumento, which commissioned the research, said the main quality that business leaders sought in their advisers was not expertise, but trust. This is why wives were their natural choice.

Bex
17-01-2004, 10:08
Especially wives (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,175-966712,00.html) :)

that's cos women are natural born leaders, we run households, we organise kids and men and we are empathetic when people have problems......ok so not all women but most :p

Ramrod
17-01-2004, 10:11
that's cos women are natural born leaders, we run households, we organise kids and men and we are empathetic when people have problems......ok so not all women but most :p
Personaly, I think that the world would be a better place if countries were run/ruled/managed (whatever) by women. Less wars for a start. :rolleyes: the elderly would be better cared for and the environment would probably be cleaner. Testicles have a lot to answer for! :D
......and don't start about Thatcher....she was a man :D

DrAwesome
17-01-2004, 10:12
Especially wives (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,175-966712,00.html) :)

The area you wish to access is behind registration :eek:

hmmm :)

Bex
17-01-2004, 10:14
Personaly, I think that the world would be a better place if countries were run/ruled/managed (whatever) by women. Less wars for a start. :rolleyes: the elderly would be better cared for and the environment would probably be cleaner. testicles have a lot to answer for!
......and don't start about Thatcher....she was a man :D

the world would be a better place if run by female philosopers ;) :p only joking

the only problem i would see with women running the world is, it would depend what type of women it was, if it was hard feminnist types then we might have a problem (or at least the guys would)

Ramrod
17-01-2004, 10:14
The area you wish to access is behind registration

hmmm :)
Here you go:
January 17, 2004

Behind successful men, there is a wife who gives sound adviceBy Alexandra Frean, Social Affairs Correspondent

COMPANY wives are more powerful than they may have dared to guess. A survey has found that nearly two thirds of directors of leading companies prefer the advice of their spouse to that of another board member or colleague when facing a difficult challenge at work.
Only a quarter of directors in the Mori poll said their chairman, chief executive or managing director would be the first person they turned to for advice. Bob Arnold, director of the consultancy firm Chiumento, which commissioned the research, said the main quality that business leaders sought in their advisers was not expertise, but trust. This is why wives were their natural choice.

†œNaturally, independence, objectivity and experience are sought-after attributes among the people advising board members. But trust is the most important,ââ ¬Â he said.

Julia Middleton, chief executive of Common Purpose and an expert on leadership and networking, said a common problem for company bosses was that their colleagues were so deferential that their advice could not always be trusted.

†œThe advantage of many spouses is that they wonââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t hold you in too much esteem,ââ‚à ‚¬Ã‚ she said. †œThey provide support, of course, when all looks grim. But they are also able to get you to face the difficult questions you would rather avoid.ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â

Although Rowan Gormley, chief executive of Virgin Wines, has an advisory board, he often asks his wife Jenny, a former systems analyst and now a full-time mother of three, to meet people he is thinking of hiring.

†œBecause she does not read the same business magazines or newspapers as me, she comes at things from a completely different angle. I might be impressed by someone because they have an MBA and they have worked at McKinsey, but she wonââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t consider them in those terms.

†œBusiness people have a tendency to behave like sheep. Jenny has no allegiance to the flock and so can take a more independent view. Itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s difficult for someone whom you are paying to tell you that you are making a mistake. Jenny sometimes tells me straight out that I am completely wrong.ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â

John May, chief executive of the seed company Thompson and Morgan, said his wife Hazel, an accountant, provided him with a vital reference point to the world outside his office and helped him to put things in perspective.

†œI wouldnÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t ask her if we have filed our corporation tax correctly or what we should do about our marketing strategy. But if somebody was being inappropriate or unreasonable, I could ask her, †˜How would you react to this?ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢,Ãƒà ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚ ‚ he said.

Spouses are not the only source of support, with siblings and even children often helping out, according to the survey of 101 directors of FTSE 500 companies.

Tony Dutton, Europe head of Novartis Animal Health, said he frequently turned to his wife Carol and his 14-year-old daughter, Charlotte. †œMy wifeââ‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s greatest contribution is sitting, listening and confirming what Iâ₠™m thinking. Itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s invaluable,ââ ¡Ã‚¬Ã‚ he said. Charlotte was particularly good when it came to handling people.

The designer and entrepreneur Terence Conran is said to have relied on the views of his former wife of 33 years, Caroline, when developing the chain of Habitat stores. His sister, Priscilla, the wife of Antonio Carlucci, the chef and restaurateur, is a life-long confidante.

Lord Black of Crossharbour is believed to talk over business matters with his wife, the right-wing columnist Barbara Amiel, and Anita Roddick decided to sell franchises in her business, the Body Shop, on the advice of her husband Gordon.

Research from the University of Hertfordshire found that women generally respond well when their husbands unburden themselves over work. Men are more likely to respond to the demands of their partnerââ‚à ‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s job by becoming depressed.

DrAwesome
17-01-2004, 10:18
There are areas where a womens/wives/girlfriends judgement is questionable

Russ
17-01-2004, 10:20
But how many comapny wives get the recognition? How many board members announce that they came to their decision "after consulting the wife"?

Bex
17-01-2004, 10:22
There are areas where a womens/wives/girlfriends judgement is questionable

yes to a degree i think women are ruled by their emotions, we are capable of making decisions and hard ones at that, but because of our empathetic nature, sometimes i think our emotional affect our decision

DrAwesome
17-01-2004, 10:37
yes to a degree i think women are ruled by their emotions, we are capable of making decisions and hard ones at that, but because of our empathetic nature, sometimes i think our emotional affect our decision

you hit the nail right on the head <so to speak>

a woman can multitask alot better than a man

Bex
17-01-2004, 10:40
you hit the nail right on the head <so to speak>

a woman can multitask alot better than a man

yaha we are capable of doing two things at once..... and that would come in handy at times...but not always, because maybe it is possible to do two things at once, but your full concentration is obviously not focused on the tasks at hand

Ramrod
17-01-2004, 11:17
yaha we are capable of doing two things at once..... and that would come in handy at times...but not always, because maybe it is possible to do two things at once, but your full concentration is obviously not focused on the tasks at handBut women are better at relationships and that is a very important thing.

SOSAGES
17-01-2004, 11:21
you do have to admit that all women are a bit looney

Bex
17-01-2004, 11:25
But women are better at relationships and that is a very important thing.

yes they are because of the empathy and we don't fear showing our emotions

in what way? and what is your evidence?
or are you merely saying that you don't understand us?

DrAwesome
17-01-2004, 11:25

and how did you work that out?

It takes two people form a relationship, it takes two people to make it work.

Its much better for both, if both people put an equal amount of participation into their relationship.

Ramrod
17-01-2004, 11:26
:rofl:
....ok ladies.....form an orderly queue, no fighting till you get to sosages :D

.....or 'Death Wish Sosages' as he will henceforth be known. :rofl:

luftys
17-01-2004, 11:31
Only just a bit :rofl: :rofl:

Just think you are only safe for 28days a month :rofl:

But most of us still love them :naughty: :naughty:

Ramrod
17-01-2004, 11:34
and how did you work that out?

It takes two people form a relationship, it takes two people to make it work.

Its much better for both, if both people put an equal amount of participation into their relationship.
Totaly agree but women (on average) are better at communication and inter personal relationships and are thus better at relationships.

Bex
17-01-2004, 11:35
Only just a bit :rofl: :rofl:

Just think you are only safe for 28days a month :rofl:

But most of us still love them :naughty: :naughty:

hmmmm re-thinks letting her dad use the forum :mad:

Russ
17-01-2004, 11:35

*cough*

Yeah RIGHT!!

No, women tend to make better communicators - they don't necessarily make better relationships. As DrAwesome says, it takes 2 to make a relationship, each 'side' has it's own strengths and weaknesses, although both sides can share traits, my favourite one being the 'Used to' principle.

Women often come out with things like "Remember when you used to tell me you loved me all the time?" and "Remember when you used to let me steer and you pushed the car?" and "Remember when you used to wash?"

Whereas men are more prone to "Remember when you used to make me tea in the morning?", and "Remember when you used to come to bed wearing fewer clothes?" and "Remember when you used to smile?"

Sociable
17-01-2004, 12:35
Anyone stopped to consider if all of NTL's problems are down to Mrs Hussain and the rest of the corporate wives?

Ducks and runs for cover. :D
:walk:

Ramrod
17-01-2004, 17:49
*cough*

Yeah RIGHT!!

<snip>Wow! :eek: I seem to have hit on a nerve here!.....Sorry!

Ramrod
17-01-2004, 17:50
Anyone stopped to consider if all of NTL's problems are down to Mrs Hussain and the rest of the corporate wives?

Ducks and runs for cover. :D
:walk:
That may have been said in jest but it does make you think :scratch:

kronas
17-01-2004, 18:01

i would say this is true, women tend to think better in stressful situations, and provide support in time of need.

sometimes men tend to act bigheaded in the corporate world, this inturn can make decisions difficult, and someone with a cooler head is likely to handle things better and women CAN be more rational........