PDA

View Full Version : Did they do it?

Chris
03-07-2003, 10:12
Hmm, a letter is 'leaked' to the Guardian showing how Ali Campbell suggested changes to the Iraq Dossier.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3040324.stm

Methinks some cynical political manoeuvring is going on here ... does anyone else think it's a bit odd that a jumped up press officer is asking professional spies to make changes to their reports?

Martin
03-07-2003, 16:48
I would like to believe they acted proper.:) Though the fact that there is a bit of mud slinging going on doesn't suprise me. I suspect if they found the weapons of mass destruction no one would have said a word. Maybe Saddam was always that crucial one step ahead. He new the US would go after him at some point.

Dave Stones
03-07-2003, 17:19
this wmd thing.. people seem to forget just how big iraq is dont they?

just imagine if before us and the yanks went bombing the weapons were driven out to the desert and buried somewhere... not a hope in hell of finding them for a long long time really is there?

anyway i dont really give a damn who is lying in this thing, i dont listen to the government or the bbc so it doesnt affect me either way :D

downquark1
03-07-2003, 17:26
Perhaps I'm behind the times (quite hard at my age) but:
Why are they calling it "sexed up"?
And why are they calling the peace plan a "roadmap"??

Stuart
03-07-2003, 17:28
Originally posted by Dave Stones
this wmd thing.. people seem to forget just how big iraq is dont they?

just imagine if before us and the yanks went bombing the weapons were driven out to the desert and buried somewhere... not a hope in hell of finding them for a long long time really is there?

anyway i dont really give a damn who is lying in this thing, i dont listen to the government or the bbc so it doesnt affect me either way :D

When you combine that with the fact that an aerosol of some of these chemicals can wipe out a small town...

ronald146m
03-07-2003, 17:53
Originally posted by downquark1
Perhaps I'm behind the times (quite hard at my age) but:
Why are they calling it "sexed up"?
And why are they calling the peace plan a "roadmap"??

Hi downquark1

I think the thing about the weapons of mass destruction dossiers is that originally there wasn't much mention of wmd.
Later in another document, it was claimed that wmd could be deployed within 45 minutes.

That made people sit up and take notice.

So by 'sexed up' they mean 'made it more interesting/important/urgent'.

As for the 'roadmap'.

I think that this means they will come to an agreement by following a process in stages. As if you were making a journey somewhere by following the route on a road map.

That's what I think anyway.

Ron
:shrug: :shrug: :)

downquark1
03-07-2003, 17:59
Originally posted by ronald146m
<snip>

No I mean why not simply say 'exagerate'[spell?] and why is everyone using the same term??

As for roadmap why not "plan of action", "peace plan" "peacemap".

I can see it now - turn left at Iraq, drive through Yassa Arrafat, and give Areal Sieron (Spell?) a lift to Palastine.

Chris
03-07-2003, 18:08
No I mean why not simply say 'exagerate'[spell?] and why is everyone using the same term??

I can see it now - turn left at Iraq, drive through Yassa Arrafat, and give Areal Sieron (Spell?) a lift to Palastine.

Our language has become increasingly colloquial and its expletives, superlatives etc are increasingly over-used.

Anyway, I tend to think 'sexed up' and 'road map' arise because words and phrases we might once have used when we get excited about stuff are a bit worn out through over-use.

ronald146m
03-07-2003, 18:13
Originally posted by towny
Our language has become increasingly colloquial and its expletives, superlatives etc are increasingly over-used.

Anyway, I tend to think 'sexed up' and 'road map' arise because words and phrases we might once have used when we get excited about stuff are a bit worn out through over-use.

... Also politicians and media people aim to use a 'sound bite'.

(There's another one for you:D )

(Or perhaps they don't know how to spell 'exaggerate' either:D )

Ron
:devsmoke: :devsmoke:

Theodoric
03-07-2003, 19:20

Because it's management jargon, that's why. I first came across it in the mid 90s, and it was probably old hat then.

Don't forget, if you use plain, easily understood English, it's amazing how threadbare your ideas can look. :)

Theodoric
03-07-2003, 19:23
Originally posted by towny
Hmm, a letter is 'leaked' to the Guardian showing how Ali Campbell suggested changes to the Iraq Dossier.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3040324.stm

<Snip>does anyone else think it's a bit odd that a jumped up press officer is asking professional spies to make changes to their reports?
I'd think it odd if he didn't! His problem is that he may have broken the eleventh Commandment, "Thou shalt not get caught."

Graham
03-07-2003, 22:00
Hi there,

Here's another piece of interesting reading (and another good reason for avoiding Micro$oft products if you've got something to hide...!

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=10273

Alternatively, go to http://www.google.com type in "weapons of mass destruction" and hit the "I'm feeling lucky" button!

Cheers,
Graham.

Chris
03-07-2003, 22:39
Originally posted by Graham
Alternatively, go to http://www.google.com type in "weapons of mass destruction" and hit the "I'm feeling lucky" button!

Cheers,
Graham.

roflmao :rofl:

timewarrior2001
03-07-2003, 23:38
I can feel a song coming on.......

"Our star spangled Union jacks flutter so proud
Over the tungsten heads of the merry patriotic crowd
Tip your hat to the yankie conquerors
Theres no reds under our beds
cos they are an ocean away
Cos were the fifty first state of America