PDA

View Full Version : Cosmetic surgery

Ramrod
16-01-2004, 13:30
A sad cautionary tale (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,1-966115,00.html)
With the current spate of progs about cosmetic surgery on the tv I thought this was worth posting to show that it is still surgery with all the risks that surgery carries.:(
...... (Even with the kind of skill and care that her money could buy)

Maggy
16-01-2004, 13:52
A sad cautionary tale (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,1-966115,00.html)
With the current spate of progs about cosmetic surgery on the tv I thought this was worth posting to show that it is still surgery with all the risks that surgery carries.:(

Saddest one I remember is a small boy having his sticky out ears fixed.He too died after complications.

It's a sad world when we can't accept imperfections as normal because we are imperfect.We should embrace the idea of uniquness not all try to be the same.I definitely blame the advertising and entertainment industries for the attitude that only the perfect should be celebrated and feted. If they actually ran ad campaigns where the characters don't have perfect features and bodies then the average teenager might actually be a lot happier with their looks.
Also those skin cream ads p*e the h*ll out of me because they always use a good looking 20 year old to 'demonstrate' the product.They never ever use the average 35/40 year old with dry skin and washed out
skin. :rolleyes:

Incog.

SMHarman
16-01-2004, 13:55
And the images are overexposed to bleach out any imperfections, e.g the cause I'm worth it ones with Andi McDowell

Incog - like the smaller sig.

Popeye
16-01-2004, 13:57
down at my local bank branch
they had a photo shoot a while back

they temporarily replaced all the staff with models
for the shoot

Marge
16-01-2004, 13:59
Cos I know that only divine intervention could help me :D I'd never consider comestic surgery. I really don't know what these people that have it done think they are achieving, grow old gracefully and how god intended :tu: Look at Joan Rivers as an example of the effects :erm:

luftys
16-01-2004, 14:04
That is sad for her.

I dont think I will go in for it :D I like my body the way it is,even after lots of use and abuse :eek: all my part still work :naughty: and not let me down yet,so hope to use and abuse it for a long time

Ramrod
16-01-2004, 14:51
Also those skin cream ads p*e the h*ll out of me because they always use a good looking 20 year old to 'demonstrate' the product.They never ever use the average 35/40 year old with dry skin and washed out
skin. :rolleyes:

Incog.Yup, thought about that as well. It's very silly. However there is one cosmetic co using Catherin Deneuve?(sp) and Isabella Rossellini.

Maggy
16-01-2004, 14:57
Yup, thought about that as well. It's very silly. However there is one cosmetic co using Catherin Deneuve?(sp) and Isabella Rossellini.

all very carefully shot using filters and soft lighting. :rolleyes:

Incog.

downquark1
16-01-2004, 15:04
all very carefully shot using filters and soft lighting. :rolleyes:

Incog. Yep, it's stupid- if the make-up works so well, why when you see them in real life they're wrinkly again?

DrAwesome
16-01-2004, 15:12
Most people that have been hit with the ugly stick cant aford cosmetic surgery, those that are not happy with the way they look, isnt it classed as an illness?

Maggy
16-01-2004, 15:21
Most people that have been hit with the ugly stick cant aford cosmetic surgery, those that are not happy with the way they look, isnt it classed as an illness?

Yeah! But who decides who is ugly?After all if you take a look at Rubens or Goyas nude women they all look like me in the buff.So there was a time when my body shape was classed as sexy which all goes to show that it is all down to damned 'fashion'.Surely in the 21st century we can be doing away with that cr@p?

Who the heck thought that breasts up under yer neck were the ideal?Even when I had pert breasts they did jiggle about and point nearer to south than north.Who decided they had to be firm and unmoving?A bloke no doubt.If I ever find him I'll strangle him with my very substantial bra.

Incog. :mad:

downquark1
16-01-2004, 15:26
Yeah! But who decides who is ugly?After all if you take a look at Rubens or Goyas nude women they all look like me in the buff.So there was a time when my body shape was classed as sexy which all goes to show that it is all down to damned 'fashion'.Surely in the 21st century we can be doing away with that cr@p?

Who the heck thought that breasts up under yer neck were the ideal?Even when I had pert breasts they did jiggle about and point nearer to south than north.Who decided they had to be firm and unmoving?A bloke no doubt.If I ever find him I'll strangle him with my very substantial bra.

Incog. :mad:
Well it's built into men's DNA, but women go along with it - because they "want" to.

Ramrod
16-01-2004, 15:37
Well it's built into men's DNA, but women go along with it - because they "want" to. :eek: brave words rashly spoken :eek:

*runs to get away from ground zero* :D

Theodoric
16-01-2004, 15:50
Apparently Berlusconi hasn't been seen recently because he's been off having a nip and a tuck.

Maggy
16-01-2004, 15:54
Apparently Berlusconi hasn't been seen recently because he's been off having a nip and a tuck.

to which portionof his anatomy? :)

downquark1
16-01-2004, 16:00
:eek: brave words rashly spoken :eek:

*runs to get away from ground zero* :D
If you ask someone why they wear that, they will answer "because it looks good" or "because it's fashionable" or "because I want to". It seems to me that these dresses impress other women too (no joke :rolleyes: ) because they are following this fashion 'competition'. It may have started with men but women have adapted the criterea themselves.

Disclaimer: I'm refering to women who do wear such things that incog described, I'm not refering to all women but merely the 'fashion gurus'

Theodoric
16-01-2004, 16:00
to which portionof his anatomy? :)
Good question. :) A cure for bags under the eyes, I think.

Maggy
16-01-2004, 16:06
If you ask someone why they wear that, they will answer "because it looks good" or "because it's fashionable" or "because I want to". It seems to me that these dresses impress other women too (no joke :rolleyes: ) because they are following this fashion 'competition'. It may have started with men but women have adapted the criterea themselves.

Disclaimer: I'm refering to women who do wear such things that incog described, I'm not refering to all women but merely the 'fashion gurus'

Actually I wasn't referring to clothing as such but more to the use of silicone implants.Yuk!

Incog.

downquark1
16-01-2004, 16:59
Actually I wasn't referring to clothing as such but more to the use of silicone implants.Yuk!

Incog.
There is actually an evolutionary reason behind, it's a display of a suitable mate:
Breasts = sexually active
High breasts = young and more likely to survive to give birth

But in this day and age should these things matter? :(

Maggy
16-01-2004, 17:13
Breasts = sexually active
High breasts = young and more likely to survive to give birth
:(
Understand the first but not the second.How are high pert firm breasts a survival issue?

Incog :)

SMHarman
16-01-2004, 17:19
Understand the first but not the second.How are high pert firm breasts a survival issue?

Probably an indication that she has not had children and is thus fertile and availible.

downquark1
16-01-2004, 17:19

I'm only reciting what I saw on a program once but:

Sag, wrinkles etc. show age and thus less likelihood of surviving further to bear the child [and what SMHarman said]. I imagine this is why people say men age more gracefully since their survive isn't necessary past conception.

kronas
16-01-2004, 17:20
i dont consider myself to be perfect, and everyone else is the same, i dont know why people seek perfection of there body's, maybe its to improve there self confidence in themselves, but going through the huge cost of it whether it be a nose job or other types of evasive surgery is IMO pointless, everyone can choose what they want to have done, and i have concerns for young potential patients, who's bodies are still growing and they feel a need to change it.........

Maggy
16-01-2004, 17:31
i dont consider myself to be perfect, and everyone else is the same, i dont know why people seek perfection of there body's, maybe its to improve there self confidence in themselves, but going through the huge cost of it whether it be a nose job or other types of evasive surgery is IMO pointless, everyone can choose what they want to have done, and i have concerns for young potential patients, who's bodies are still growing and they feel a need to change it.........

Did you read the opening post to this thread kronas?I'm more annoyed by cosmetic surgery because it is so unnecessary to life and it's a danger to life but folk are prepared to accept the risk to look better for who?At the end of the day most of us don't really care that a friend isn't perfect looking.It's how much of a friend they are that matters.I'm also wondering when we can outgrow the idea that only the beautiful are worthwhile.
It makes me so angry sometimes that I just wanna take some of the clothes designers and choke them.Why do they only concentrate on the size 8 and 10's?

I know being trim is good for one's health but they take this to extremes.The number of people that I know are a natural size 8 are fecking zilch.Most are a nice 14 or 16 and a fair number are even bigger.

Gah! I think I'd better go and cool down.

Incog. :wavey:

kronas
16-01-2004, 17:45
Did you read the opening post to this thread kronas?

the one with the link in yes......

I'm more annoyed by cosmetic surgery because it is so unnecessary to life and it's a danger to life but folk are prepared to accept the risk to look better for who?At the end of the day most of us don't really care that a friend isn't perfect looking.It's how much of a friend they are that matters.I'm also wondering when we can outgrow the idea that only the beautiful are worthwhile.

as proved in the first post people do die, they are willing to take the risks involved to seek perfection, various factors can sway people in to action such as the entertainment industry, magazines, modeling agencies, the agencies seek out women who have the look and then pressure them in to being thin, now back to the entertainment industry, there are also pressures there in various sectors to look good, but ultimately its the individuals choice, if there are people who seek change because they are uncomfortable about there look, then there is little you can do to change there minds, because obvious comparisons will be pointed out by them when looking at others

It makes me so angry sometimes that I just wanna take some of the clothes designers and choke them.Why do they only concentrate on the size 8 and 10's?

because currently the mentality is to look good and thin we see the rise in people using diets to elevate themselves in to saying 'i look trim'

this is why blocking out the media's and various forms of influences, creates a much more happier you because your not being forced in to a certain mentality of 'i want to change this' 'oh doesent that look good how about i get it done' you have to defocus on what others do and think, and make your own mind up about this

Ramrod
16-01-2004, 18:16
Good question. :) A cure for bags under the eyes, I think.His testicles are that high? :eek: :D

luftys
16-01-2004, 18:18
.Most are a nice 14 or 16 and a fair number are even bigger.
Wow they sound nice to me :naughty: Its not your size that counts,but who you are

Ramrod
16-01-2004, 18:20

I know being trim is good for one's health but they take this to extremes.The number of people that I know are a natural size 8 are fecking zilch.Most are a nice 14 or 16 and a fair number are even bigger.
Actually, my wife is a size 8-10 and she has a terrible time finding clothes that fit because she finds that shops cater for 14-20something and order very few 8-10's which consequently sell out quickly. She constantly finds clothes she likes are not available in her size

Atomic22
16-01-2004, 18:49
i can understand people having bent noses straightened or fa-cup ears pinned back...but facelifts and lipo and stuff no way......
boob jobs to me also seem silly (because they look nice small or large)
i was gobsmacked when the gorgeous lesley ash had her lips pumped up....on the "before" pics she was lovely and on the "afters" she was a trout?....the worst thing is ,she says she loves botox and will be having it done again...shes had it done a few times and just because it went wrong once it wont put her off........gawd

Maggy
16-01-2004, 19:58
i can understand people having bent noses straightened or fa-cup ears pinned back...but facelifts and lipo and stuff no way......
boob jobs to me also seem silly (because they look nice small or large)
i was gobsmacked when the gorgeous lesley ash had her lips pumped up....on the "before" pics she was lovely and on the "afters" she was a trout?....the worst thing is ,she says she loves botox and will be having it done again...shes had it done a few times and just because it went wrong once it wont put her off........gawd

The whole issues makes me so sad.When I'm teaching and a child with no fat anywhere on her body says she wants to lose weight because she is too fat I just go bananas.Where do they get the idea that they need to lose weight?The Media.However the media say they are only a mirror to society.

Well someone's to blame and I wanna punch them. :mad:

Too many kids have deficient diets and are clinically ill with diet disorders.Someone is to blame because they don't come up with the idea on their own. Yes I do know that for many it's supposed to be a control issue and a means of punishing bossy parents or of escaping from reality but what plants the idea in the first place?

Incog. :(

kronas
16-01-2004, 20:30
Too many kids have deficient diets and are clinically ill with diet disorders.Someone is to blame because they don't come up with the idea on their own. Yes I do know that for many it's supposed to be a control issue and a means of punishing bossy parents or of escaping from reality but what plants the idea in the first place?

Incog. :(

parents are only too willing to back there kids, to keep them happy by financial help so yes parents are also at fault.

but i believe the main reasons for the push made by youngsters to get surgery, is mainly down to publications and programmes it is media influence, do you know what they put in teen magazines ?

advertisments for beauty products, how to look better, feel better, clothing ranges for these teens, this range of mass advertising by corporate compaines is the influence, if you cannot see it, then you really are sucked in to it by companies.

downquark1
17-01-2004, 17:20
An article in the Guardian magazine this week: "Haven't I seen you somewhere before"

"Evolutionary psychologists claim there is an underlying standard for beauty"... "There is a principle called the Divine proportion or Golden section ..... which describes a set of measurements that we unconsciously find pleasing. If you look at the human face, body, a classic painting or, for instance, a butterfly's wing or fir cone and measure distances between various points they will conform to a certain fixed ratio. In people considered beautiful, they conform more precisely; if a gauge that measures the golden selection is placed on a model's face, the distances between features usually correlate exactly. But now that faces can be broken, cut and stitched into place, implants added and teeth straightened we have reached a point of fearful - indeed, frightening symmetry"

It ends with the line: "beauty is no longer truth"

kronas
17-01-2004, 17:25
downquark1, what you have just posted is an obvious answer, as to how beauty is measured by humans just by looking for symetrical measurements thats why you get a feeling of perfection .........even i knew this psychologists dont need to tell me. :D :rolleyes:

DrAwesome
17-01-2004, 17:35
everyone looks for something different in the opposite (or same sex) these days some people look for personality while some go for looks.
it depends what you see as attractive (your set standards)

If some women/men are not happy with their body parts they have the choice to alter them, the reason could be to make them more attractive within themselfs.

what you deem as ugly others will see beauty, what you think is a put off/bad habit others will see as an attraction.

Its bad Grammar day today :)

kronas
17-01-2004, 17:39
everyone has looks for something different in the opposite (or same sex) these days some people look for personality while some go for looks.
it depends what you see as attractive (your set standards)

i see the case for the majorty being looks as a primary thing, you can deny it all you want, but you 'see' the person and you find a physical attraction build up, if there is no physical connection i doubt you would blink twice if you met someone somewhere.

downquark1
17-01-2004, 17:42
downquark1, what you have just posted is an obvious answer, as to how beauty is measured by humans just by looking for symetrical measurements thats why you get a feeling of perfection .........even i knew this psychologists dont need to tell me. :D :rolleyes: Yes... but some people may not. I was establishing we have no choice in what is found beautiful (incog mentioned a few time of how she would like to hurt the people who decided what is beautiful).

I think that it's no good altering the criteria, as the industry and human nature won't allow it. I believe we should just all stop caring.

kronas
17-01-2004, 17:47
I think that it's no good altering the criteria, as the industry and human nature won't allow it. I believe we should just all stop caring.

thats impossible, although as i said before, i dont believe in making alterations to yourself, people will always be concerned with there looks.

i dont know why, because as you get older most loose there looks through body changes, part of the ageing process.

downquark1
17-01-2004, 18:04
thats impossible, although as i said before, i dont believe in making alterations to yourself, people will always be concerned with there looks.
Well as plastic surgery becomes safer and more common, more people will do it. You can't have it both ways.
Make-up is making you look different, why is this acceptable but surgery isn't?
i dont know why, because as you get older most loose there looks through body changes, part of the ageing process.
They don't loose their looks - they look different. The difference is one triggers a pleasant feeling in the onlooker and one triggers an unpleasant feeling. In the end it's just a look - it doesn't affect their job, personality, etc. Any anyone who acts differently because of it is IMO shallow.

Maybe I pay too much attention to this science stuff- but all this just reminds me of peacocks flicking their tails.

kronas
17-01-2004, 18:11
Well as plastic surgery becomes safer and more common, more people will do it. You can't have it both ways.
Make-up is making you look different, why is this acceptable but surgery isn't?

make-up is just something to make you look better temporarily, it can make your skin smoother looking, shineing, lipstick makes your lips stand out, eyeliner can make your eyes look standout, women wear it and i would not stop that as its a temp thing.

They don't loose their looks - they look different. The difference is one triggers a pleasant feeling in the onlooker and one triggers an unpleasant feeling. In the end it's just a look - it doesn't affect their job, personality, etc. Any anyone who acts differently because of it is IMO shallow.

thats what i meant, people look diffarent, everyone has diffarent tastes someone will say "oh this person is ugly" another will say "oh this person is gorgeous"

but looking at it, you cannot gauge beauty yourself, because you have created a self doubt about something which you think is 'not right' about your body, but could be perfect......

SMHarman
20-01-2004, 09:47

bump...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,5-2004031248,,00.html

MENââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢S genetic make-up FORCES them to study cleavage says top man-watcher Desmond Morris.

The author of pioneering human behaviour book The Naked Ape believes female breasts developed when human beings began enjoying face-to-face sex.

†œFull breasts evolved to make the female frontal region more stimulating to men,â₠¬Ã‚ he explained.

Female monkeysââ‚à ‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ rears turn pink to show they are willing to have sex.

Dr Morris believes a womanÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s cleavage directly imitates the appearance of the human bottom.

And Mike Aquino, an expert at the medical website DoctorGeorge.com, agrees.

He says: †œThe evolution of desire may determine why we look the way we do and what turns us on.

†œThe human breast consists of fat, not milk glands.

†œBreast size varies greatly among human females without affecting their ability to nurse.

†œFemale breasts are secondary sexual characteristics that evolved to attract mates.

†œThe pendulous shape and cleavage of the breasts mimic the previous attractiveness of the female buttocks.â₠¬Â

Ramrod
20-01-2004, 09:54
Yep, it's not our fault:MENâ₠¬â„¢S genetic make-up FORCES them to study cleavage says top man-watcher Desmond Morris. ...phew, thats sorted then :D

Maggy
20-01-2004, 16:22
bump...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,5-2004031248,,00.html

I'm not talking about womens 'normal' bosoms.You know the soft squidgy ones that are used to feed babies.I mean the ones that look like fecking balloons and seem to defy gravity.When a woman with normal boobs lies down the boobs flatten.the ones I'm referring to just point upwards whan the wman behind them is laying prone.

must be like trying to suck a beach ball. :rolleyes:

Ramrod
20-01-2004, 16:39
I'm not talking about womens 'normal' bosoms.You know the soft squidgy ones that are used to feed babies.I mean the ones that look like fecking balloons and seem to defy gravity.When a woman with normal boobs lies down the boobs flatten.the ones I'm referring to just point upwards whan the wman behind them is laying prone.

must be like trying to suck a beach ball. :rolleyes:Those are only like that because they have silicon in them....and you mean supine :D

SMHarman
20-01-2004, 16:56
I'm not talking about womens 'normal' bosoms.You know the soft squidgy ones that are used to feed babies.I mean the ones that look like fecking balloons and seem to defy gravity.When a woman with normal boobs lies down the boobs flatten.the ones I'm referring to just point upwards whan the woman behind them is laying prone.

must be like trying to suck a beach ball. :rolleyes:

Even 'normal' ones are a genetic abnormality in the world. No other animal has large breasts (I wait to have this disproven as I'm not a biologist).

Many of those in the article in the paper are not silicone enhanced (Geri Halliwell, Lady Di, Daryl Hannah). We just enjoy looking at them, even Clare Shorts (and you need yesterdays Sun to get that one).

Maggy
20-01-2004, 19:19
Even 'normal' ones are a genetic abnormality in the world. No other animal has large breasts (I wait to have this disproven as I'm not a biologist).

Many of those in the article in the paper are not silicone enhanced (Geri Halliwell, Lady Di, Daryl Hannah). We just enjoy looking at them, even Clare Shorts (and you need yesterdays Sun to get that one).

Oh now I'm a genetic abnormality.Err....what about cow's udders?And you had better be very careful what you say?

Anyway I'm not so sure about Desmond Morris's err suppositions.Too many if's and buts,if you pardon the pun :rofl:

Incog.

Xaccers
20-01-2004, 19:21
Apes have relatively large breasts rather than just nipples.

Anyway, nipples are just modified sweat glands, so think about this next time you pour some semi-skimmined on your cornflakes. That's cow sweat :p

SMHarman
20-01-2004, 20:39
Oh now I'm a genetic abnormality.Err....what about cow's udders?And you had better be very careful what you say?

Anyway I'm not so sure about Desmond Morris's err suppositions.Too many if's and buts,if you pardon the pun :rofl:

Incog.

I thought long and hard about how to respond and did not mean to offend any of the female contributors to this board (of which there must be more than the internet average).

The Cow as we know is rather put upon to deliver milk and thus needs expressing regularly or will be in great pain (I guess like a breast feeding mum), but are they that big in a cow not bread for milk production? This topic is getting surreal.

Apes have relatively large breasts rather than just nipples.

Anyway, nipples are just modified sweat glands, so think about this next time you pour some semi-skimmined on your cornflakes. That's cow sweat :p

But UHT sweat.

Ramrod
20-01-2004, 21:13
The Cow as we know is rather put upon to deliver milk and thus needs expressing regularly or will be in great pain (I guess like a breast feeding mum), but are they that big in a cow not bread for milk production? No they would not.

kronas
22-01-2004, 01:31
i watched some of the 'cosmetic kids' program out of curiosity and some of them really did need it, but then other cases showed that it can be pyscological, and the need to ammend your body even at the age of 10 when you have not fully began to develop yet is quite remarkable as to how they get the ideas.......