PDA

View Full Version : Health Tips

ntluser
16-01-2004, 09:37
As the New Year period is traditionally a time for New Year resolutions and people are more interested in getting healthier, I just wondered if members were willing to share any tips they have found personally useful i.e. things that actually work.

One thing I have found to be useful is Cider Vinegar. This is great for reducing cholesterol. I take 2 to 3 teaspoonfuls in a cup of water with my lunch and evening meal. In three months my level dropped from 6.2 to 5.3 so it works out at a loss of 0.3 units per month. I need to get it down to about 3.0, which would mean I'd only be relying on the cholesterol naturally produced by the body and wouldn't be clogging up my arteries with additional cholesterol from my diet.

Another useful thing is natural honey which is great as it is anti-viral and anti-bacterial and a basic all round germ repellant. A teaspoonful a day will soon put you right.

A third useful thing is garlic (and/or raw onions) which like cider vinegar lowers cholesterol and has the same anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties as honey. Two cloves for lunch and two cloves with your evening meal has a powerful effect..purifying your blood..just make sure you have plenty of mints handy to kill the 'garlic breath'

For men, tomatoes are a useful aid against prostate cancer, because they contain lycopene, which nourish the prostate. I have a tomato per day.

These are things I have found to work. My main problem is losing weight as despite my cholesterol falling my weight is still fairly stable. Look forward to hearing all the useful health tips forum members have found effective.

Jon M
16-01-2004, 09:53
Nothing amazing or innovative from me.. but I decided to give up .. chocolate, crisps and caffeine as a sort of new years resolution.
So far i've lost almost half a stone in two weeks.

Ramrod
16-01-2004, 09:54
Manuka honey is the best for it's anti-bacterial properties (but it's very expensive) and I believe that processed tomato products (puree or tomato sauce) are even better than raw tomatoes for your prostate.

Exercise is very good for you (obviously :D ) but a lot of people neglect it. I often see a dramatic change in my patients health when they take up exercise (stretching, swimming, yoga, Pilate's, weight training etc..)

downquark1
16-01-2004, 10:05
To ensure a perfectly balanced diet giving you all nutrients a human body requires - I recommend cannibalism.
[/joke]

I've been hearing a lot about anti-oxidants recently. They're found in green teas.

ntluser
16-01-2004, 10:54
Nothing amazing or innovative from me.. but I decided to give up .. chocolate, crisps and caffeine as a sort of new years resolution.
So far i've lost almost half a stone in two weeks.

Well done. Giving up anything containing sugar or LDLs (Low Density Lipoproteins) has a major impact.

ntluser
16-01-2004, 10:58
To ensure a perfectly balanced diet giving you all nutrients a human body requires - I recommend cannibalism.
[/joke]

I've been hearing a lot about anti-oxidants recently. They're found in green teas.

I like the joke, mind you it does depend on what bodies you eat!!

I've heard a lot about green teas too. Seems that a couple of cuppas daily can do you a lot of good with all those bioflavonoids and anti-oxidants.

ntluser
16-01-2004, 11:07
Manuka honey is the best for it's anti-bacterial properties (but it's very expensive) and I believe that processed tomato products (puree or tomato sauce) are even better than raw tomatoes for your prostate.

Exercise is very good for you (obviously :D ) but a lot of people neglect it. I often see a dramatic change in my patients health when they take up exercise (stretching, swimming, yoga, Pilate's, weight training etc..)

Thanks for the tip about Manuka honey. I knew about the puree idea and tend to use that on my chopped garlic to kill the garlic taste so two benefits for the price of one.

I think you're right about the exercise. Given our more civilised, labour-saving society people generally don't do enough exercise, me especially. I used to walk a lot when I was younger and it seems that brisk walking is a simple way to get fit as it raises the heart rate, increases aerobic activity and uses up triglycerides (fat).

Ramrod
16-01-2004, 11:45
Giving up anything containing sugar or LDLs (Low Density Lipoproteins) has a major impact.I gave up sugar (apart from what you get in alkohol :D ) about a year ago. I find, if I have to, I can now go longer between meals without feeling 'wierd' from low blood sugar.
Giving up coffee helped as well.

homealone
16-01-2004, 11:54
Thanks for the tip about Manuka honey. I knew about the puree idea and tend to use that on my chopped garlic to kill the garlic taste so two benefits for the price of one.

I think you're right about the exercise. Given our more civilised, labour-saving society people generally don't do enough exercise, me especially. I used to walk a lot when I was younger and it seems that brisk walking is a simple way to get fit as it raises the heart rate, increases aerobic activity and uses up triglycerides (fat).

Cycling or swimming are also good aerobic exercise, with the benefit of being kinder to ankles & knees, than walking - but walking is good!

It's also very important to drink plenty of water.

Lots of info about healthy eating on The Food Standards Agency website, try

http://www.foodstandards.gov.uk/healthiereating/food_myths/?version=1

Ramrod
16-01-2004, 12:02
Lots of info about healthy eating on The Food Standards Agency website, try

http://www.foodstandards.gov.uk/healthiereating/food_myths/?version=1Bloody food standards agency! :rolleyes:

homealone
16-01-2004, 12:26
Bloody food standards agency! :rolleyes:

Not a fan then Ramrod? :)