PDA

View Full Version : Personal Webspace

Sanctuary
15-01-2004, 17:02
Firstly I must apologise, but I have made this post on another forum too, in the hope of getting some help.

I'm making this post in desperation, in the hope that someone from NTL with some savvy may read it, and understand what is happening.

In December I cancelled my TV from NTL, but still wanted to keep my 1Mb BB connection, so an engineer came round and removed the set top box, and replaced it with a stand alone cable modem. No problems there, upload and download are still working OK. The problem is, since this happened, I have been unable to upload any data to my personal NTL webspace.

My website is still visible on the net, and I can log into my site using my FTP program (Terrapin), view all the files already there, but everytime I go to upload a new file or replace an existing one on the site, I get an error saying Server Refused File Transer Request and in the advanced box it says Permission Denied.

I've phone NTL Tech Support on 8 different occasions, and been kept waiting on average 45 minutes each time before getting through to a Tech and I've also e-mailed tech support twice and only ever got the auto response. Each time I've spoken to a tech, they say the problem is something they are unable to fix at their location, and they have to refer it to another department. The last time I phoned, getting more angry about the situation after 8 weeks with access to uploading to my webspace, I asked to speak to a supervisor, who when I explained the situation promised to call me back with an answer. True to her word, she phoned back later that day, but with the same answer I'd already been given, that it would have to be refered to another department that dealt with the website database. I still do not have access to uploading to my site, and it was 8 weeks ago last Monday the problem arose.

It is as if my webspace has been set to a read only status or something, surely it can't be that difficult for a communications company to correct this?

Has anyone else on these forms experienced anything similar?

I'm not asking too much to have part of the service I pay £35 a month for, to be working correctly am I?

On this other forum a suggestion was that I set my FTP program to connect in Passive mode, but this does not solve the problem, and I am able to upload data to other sites I have access to, using Terrapin FTP.

Again, I apoligise to anyone reading this and thinking they are experiencing deja vu.:)

Mr.Moony
15-01-2004, 17:08
Hello Sanctuary.

I am very willing to look into this and find out whats going on. I shall need you to PM me your post code, address and real name. Please include your username and password.

paulyoung666
15-01-2004, 17:30
hi and :welcome: to the site , take up the offer above , if you are not sure about giving out your username and password , contact the admin here who should/will confirm it is ok to do that ------- paul :)

Russ
15-01-2004, 17:35
Hello Sanctuary.

I am very willing to look into this and find out whats going on. I shall need you to PM me your post code, address and real name. Please include your username and password.

As an admin of this site I have to warn you about giving your personal details to people who claim to work for NTL but in this instance you are fine giving the requested information to Mr.Moony :)

paulyoung666
15-01-2004, 17:44
As an admin of this site I have to warn you about giving your personal details to people who claim to work for NTL but in this instance you are fine giving the requested information to Mr.Moony :)

see there you go :)

Sanctuary
15-01-2004, 17:47
Thankyou all for your input, makes me feel welcome. :)

paulyoung666
15-01-2004, 18:11
no problem :)

Mr.Moony
15-01-2004, 18:26
Yes you can trust me. I even know pauls details for he had a problem with email sticking in his inbox once ;)

paulyoung666
15-01-2004, 18:43
Yes you can trust me. I even know pauls details for he had a problem with email sticking in his inbox once ;)

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hh he knows me :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: , no reflection on you my mate ,i hope you realise that , you just cant be too careful can you , oh and you have a better memory than me :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sanctuary
02-02-2004, 22:42
Just a quick update on this thread. It is now 11 weeks since I was last able to make any changes or update my website on NTL, and the despite the best efforts of those who have tried to investigate this, still no joy.

I've given up now and thanks to the generosity of a friend, I'm now able to have my website hosted on another server, with more space, faster access, no adverts and even better, completely free.:Yes:

If only I had more choice of service providers, I'd ditch NTL altogether. :(

Sanctuary
10-03-2004, 17:19
Wahaay!! I received a phone call for NTL yesterday, to tell me this had been resolved, and that I would now be able to update my webspace. I can too!!

It's only taken them about 16 weeks, but we got there in the end. :D

teddybeargirl
11-06-2009, 21:27
I too have had this same problem! I have also had problems with my internet service being really slow since I moved to a new address a few months ago.

Peter_
11-06-2009, 22:27
I too have had this same problem! I have also had problems with my internet service being really slow since I moved to a new address a few months ago.
What issue do you have that gets this thread a 5 years and 3 month bump which is not bad going.

You may have been better posting your own thrad.