PDA

View Full Version : Any idea when the Community.ntl.com forums will go live?

binary
02-07-2003, 21:20
Does anyone actually know when the forums at community.ntl.com (http://community.ntl.com) will go live?

Is this a matter of days, weeks or months? :confused:

(Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere, I looked but couldn't find anyone else answering this.)

poolking
02-07-2003, 21:22
I think it might be weeks, I think they should get the current technical glitches fixed first.

Steve H
02-07-2003, 21:47
Check the news story on www.nthellworld.com, and it says to use there forums for the next couple of weeks, So it'l be weeks..

binary
02-07-2003, 21:55
I didn't see that, thanks.

Indeed the text is "Over the coming weeks we will launch the online forums...", so (several) weeks it is then.

Shaun
02-07-2003, 23:24
Originally posted by binary
Does anyone actually know when the forums at community.ntl.com (http://community.ntl.com) will go live?

Is this a matter of days, weeks or months? :confused:

(Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere, I looked but couldn't find anyone else answering this.)

I'm not being funny or anything, but .......... why on earth do you fee the need to post this here on NTHW.co.uk an on NTHW.com at the same time and saying exactly the same thing, word for word?

:(

binary
02-07-2003, 23:33
Would it have been better if I had phrased it differently? Or asked it in esperanto?

Because I wanted to know the answer. I thought if I posted it on NTHW.com then I might get an 'official' answer. I posted it here as I thought that someone might know.

I was under the impression that many former NTHW.com members had pretty much given up on NTHW.com, and migrated over here.

Does it really offend you that much?

Chris
03-07-2003, 09:29
I thought if I posted it on NTHW.com then I might get an 'official' answer. I posted it here as I thought that someone might know.

rofl

Judging by the number of threads that have started simultaneously on nthw.com and .co.uk I think a lot of folks are thinking along the same lines ... you want the 'official' answer you go to ntl, you want the REAL answer you come here.

Or maybe in some cases peeps are still unsure whether the future lies here or at .com?

I don't understand why it is going to take them a couple of weeks to set up a forum discussing ntl products only, when the guys here set up a forum twice the size in about 8 hours....

Chris
03-07-2003, 09:47
Originally posted by Andre
Community must be being run by people who work in that most bizarre 'ntl time'!

It bears no resemblance to any one else's 'soon' and could mean anything from 'later today', to 'sometime in the next 3 years'!

Wonder how they'd react if I told them I plan to pay my bill 'soon'? :D

binary
03-07-2003, 11:30
Originally posted by towny
... you want the 'official' answer you go to ntl, you want the REAL answer you come here.

Thats about the size of it really!

Or maybe in some cases peeps are still unsure whether the future lies here or at .com?

NTHW.com is pretty much dead. They're are a few diehards there still, so I guess I thought they might be able to provide an answer. Or one of the moderators might have had some inside onfo from Frank.

Wonder how they'd react if I told them I plan to pay my bill 'soon'? :D

Ho ho! I've never experienced it, but I bet the one thing that operates efficiently in ntl is the debt recovery process.

I guess posting the same posts in two forums was bad forum etiquette. The problem is the two forums overlap almost entirely, though not for long. However, when (if) the Community forums launch, there will be inevitable overlap again between them and this forum, which forum members will just have to deal with.

However, if you want to see the NTHW.com thread on this subject follow this link (http://www.nthellworld.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43974), though no-one knows anymore there than they do here. The best answer seems to be "a a few weeks time", which is simply what is stated in this NTHW.com news item (http://www.nthellworld.com/article/?action=show&id=355).

binary
03-07-2003, 12:27
Looks like I spoke too soon. Official word does indeed come from NHTW.com- from Ashley Grossman, managing editor of ntl home no less!

Originally posted by ashg
Give it a couple of weeks.

There's about a million and one things we want to add to the site and we're doing it bit by bit.

Taken from this thread on NTHW.com (http://www.nthellworld.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43974&perpage=15&pagenumber=2).

tridens
03-07-2003, 13:21
Every one waiting for

community.ntl.com

is live today just bean on the site

scrotnig
03-07-2003, 13:59
Originally posted by tridens
Every one waiting for

community.ntl.com

is live today just bean on the site

The site has been live for two days, but the forums are not yet ready.

scrotnig
03-07-2003, 14:00

Ho ho! I've never experienced it, but I bet the one thing that operates efficiently in ntl is the debt recovery process.

It's largely automatic. If a bill is not paid by a certain time, services are suspended until it's paid.

Shaun
03-07-2003, 14:21
Would it have been better if I had phrased it differently? Or asked it in esperanto?

It would have been better if you had considered some netiquette, its rather inappropriate and rude to cross post.:dozey:

Kevin
03-07-2003, 14:40
Community - Just had a look its Pants!, it took how long to set up ??????? what they using pre schoolers no thats not fair the preschoolers would have had it up weeks ago..

Chris
03-07-2003, 15:00
Who knows what stodgy internal processes go on at ntl headquarters?

Now hang on while I try to be fair and balanced about this...

On the one hand, to be fair to ntl, designing and rolling out something like this in a major company is a little more complicated than just deciding to do one at home and getting started on Dreamweaver or whatever. There's all kinds of planning, discussion, design, review and management approval to go through .... I can tell you from experience in my own job, it gets quite annoying at times.

Still, when it does come out we should by rights be able to expect it to work properly and be fully-functioning, and I still don't understand how a vBulletin forum half the size of this one can be promised 2 weeks ago and still not be up. Posts by Frank's boss on .com allude to his workload, which is a lame excuse. If this was a priority, he could've shared some of Frank's workload around a bit to give Frank more time to get the community forum up at the same time as the rest of the site, thus denying us yet another opportunity to moan about ntl never getting things done when they say they will. Also, launching the bits that were ready while Frank was away from the office seems a bit odd, seeing as he is so closely involved with it.

BTW, welcome to nthellworld.co.uk, kevin :wavey:

binary
03-07-2003, 15:01
Originally posted by dellwear
It would have been better if you had considered some netiquette, its rather inappropriate and rude to cross post.:dozey:

Sure, it's established netiquette on Usenet newsgroups to not cross post, but as far as I'm aware there's no such netiquette on forums.

I got the answer I wanted, and everyone reading this benefits from that.

Isn't it just you thats got a problem with it? Whats the big deal here?

scrotnig
03-07-2003, 15:30
Sure, it's established netiquette on Usenet newsgroups to not cross post, but as far as I'm aware there's no such netiquette on forums.

I got the answer I wanted, and everyone reading this benefits from that.

Isn't it just you thats got a problem with it? Whats the big deal here?

Actually, in general what applies on usenet also applies in forums, with one or two obvious exceptions.

It's not good form to post the same query to several forums on the same board. Two would usually be acceptable depending on the context and if it was justified.

However, as I mentioned in another thread, the ultimate decision is with the owners of the board. The server is private, and what they say goes.

Chris
03-07-2003, 15:43
*cough* offtopic *cough*

Can we not agree to differ on netiquette get on with the important business of bemoaning ntl?

You could always kick off a new thread to discuss this, it seems like a valid debate in its own right :)

binary
03-07-2003, 15:53
Originally posted by Mark B
It's not good form to post the same query to several forums on the same board.

They're on seperate boards- on NTHW.co.uk (this board) and on NTHW.com.

Seperate boards with the same focus, but seperate nontheless. NTHW.com is the 'official' offering from ntl, and was also the board that provided me with the answer.

Because it is almost dead, I posted the same question to this board.

This is an important issue, and I can see it recurring when the ntl Community forums are up (and most of NTHW.com is dead).

It will be tempting to go to the Community boards to get the 'official' answer / viewpoint, and come here to get the 'unofficial', arguably more helpful, answer (though it's also arguable that here you'll get a lot of speculation without a firm answer).

This is off-topic, but we've got the nearest thing to an answer from ashg about when the new forums will launch, so what does it matter? Since this topic is hot, here and now, I don't see why we don't keep it here.

scrotnig
03-07-2003, 18:39
They're on seperate boards- on NTHW.co.uk (this board) and on NTHW.com.

In that case...I cannot see the problem personally.

rippedoff
04-07-2003, 12:37
Originally posted by Andre
Community must be being run by people who work in that most bizarre 'ntl time'!

It bears no resemblance to any one else's 'soon' and could mean anything from 'later today', to 'sometime in the next 3 years'!

If that were the case Andre, I would have BB & Interactive by now! I must be on the other ntl: definition of 'soon' which appears to be over 3 years!
:rolleyes:

XFS03
04-07-2003, 12:45
...On the one hand, to be fair to ntl, designing and rolling out something like this in a major company is a little more complicated than just deciding to do one at home and getting started on Dreamweaver or whatever. There's all kinds of planning, discussion, design, review and management approval to go through .... I can tell you from experience in my own job, it gets quite annoying at times...
I didn't realise, until a couple of days ago, that the community site had been in the planning for almost a year!

http://www.nthellworld.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31323&highlight=drawesome

binary
04-07-2003, 18:49
I read that thread recently XFS03. There has obviously been a change of plan since then- in that thread Frank states that NTHW.com and the new forum will run alongside each other, complimenting each other.

Now we know that NTHW.com will lose all it's ntl-related areas when the Community forums launch.

XFS03
04-07-2003, 19:12
It was also stated in that thread that non-ntl subscribers would be welcome to join in. :rolleyes: