PDA

View Full Version : Memento or Morbid?

Graham
13-01-2004, 13:40
I've just seen a report on BBC South's local news about a firm setting up business in the South making "Life Gems" http://www.lifegem.com/

What they do is to take the ashes of a cremated person, extract the carbon and turn it into a "manufactured" diamond (the process apparently costs around £2,500)

Is this a unique way of remembering a loved one or is it just morbid?

Ramrod
13-01-2004, 13:48
I vote for 'unique' but bizzare. What would a person do with the diamond? I suppose a widow could have it on a chain around her neck.

danielf
13-01-2004, 13:48
I've just seen a report on BBC South's local news about a firm setting up business in the South making "Life Gems" http://www.lifegem.com/

What they do is to take the ashes of a cremated person, extract the carbon and turn it into a "manufactured" diamond (the process apparently costs around £2,500)

Personally, I find it a bit morbid. But to each his own I would say. It doesn't bother me if other people do this, as much as I'm not bothered by 'normal' ways that people choose to remember a loved one.

paulyoung666
13-01-2004, 13:54
no more morbid than having ashes on your mantelpiece :)

Ramrod
13-01-2004, 13:55
no more morbid than having ashes on your mantelpiece :)
Possibly less morbid.
Widows often wear their husbands wedding rings on a chain round their necks to comfort themselves. This type of diamond imo would be even more of a comfort. I would suggest this to my mother but I have to scatter the ashes in the river on our farm when she dies.

altis
13-01-2004, 13:58
Sounds great to me but surely the name Death Gem would be more acurate ;)

paulyoung666
13-01-2004, 13:59
Possibly less morbid.

me thinks so , no chance of the ashes getting all over the carpet

Ramrod
13-01-2004, 14:00
pmsl @ altis & paul :D

Graham
13-01-2004, 16:37
Ok, having seen a few comments on this here's my POV (I deliberately didn't put it in at the start to avoid "tainting" the discussion immediately).

Personally I'm more on the "morbid" side of this, but I feel the same way about people who keep the ashes of their loved ones on the mantlepiece.

IMO (and, of course, fully acknowledging that others have different opinions and are free to hold them) when a person is dead, they're *dead* and it's better to remember them for who they were and what they did, rather than trying to "keep them around".

The body is just a means by which someone can influence the world around them, when someone dies it's finished with (and, *no* I'm *not* talking about "souls" or "spirits" because I don't believe in Heaven or re-incarnation etc!), so it should (with due respect) be disposed of to be "recycled" into new life.

Ramrod
13-01-2004, 16:56
Ok, having seen a few comments on this here's my POV (I deliberately didn't put it in at the start to avoid "tainting" the discussion immediately).

Personally I'm more on the "morbid" side of this, but I feel the same way about people who keep the ashes of their loved ones on the mantlepiece.

IMO (and, of course, fully acknowledging that others have different opinions and are free to hold them) when a person is dead, they're *dead* and it's better to remember them for who they were and what they did, rather than trying to "keep them around".

The body is just a means by which someone can influence the world around them, when someone dies it's finished with (and, *no* I'm *not* talking about "souls" or "spirits" because I don't believe in Heaven or re-incarnation etc!), so it should (with due respect) be disposed of to be "recycled" into new life.Thats how my dad felt and thats why he wanted his (and my mothers ashes) ashes scattered into the river.

downquark1
13-01-2004, 16:56
I have a neutral opinion. The body is dead, you could eat it for all I care. But people already keep the dead around with having ashes on the mantle peace etc.

A diamond is stronger and lasts a very long time. I think the idea is to immortalise the person in a beautiful form (ash tends not to be considered beautiful).

luftys
13-01-2004, 18:22
I think its great :D Have the xwife booked in next week :angel:

PS, if anyone see her please dont tell her want it to be a surprise :D

Marge
13-01-2004, 18:24

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Theodoric
13-01-2004, 18:53

Oh dear, what will they try next to extract money from the gullible. Crematoria operate at very high temperatures. So, for a start, I'd doubt if there was much, if any carbon, left in the ashes. Next, you notice (in step 2) that they mix it with ordinary carbon. So, your beloved is probably there at the parts per billion (or even trillion) level. I now come to the part where I stand willing to be corrected. I know that artificial diamonds can be made from carbon at high temperature and pressure, but I'm not really sure what size and quality they can produce. The example shown looks like quite a few carats but without a scale and with the help of a macro lens, who can tell. But, if it makes you happy and you're flush with cash, go ahead.

Bex
13-01-2004, 19:19

:eeek: dad now that is not nice :nono: :mad:

personally, i am not keen on keeping the ashes of a loved one around...i think it is morbid (this is my opinion)...i see the body as a shell almost.....and yes i believe in a soul.....and heaven...when we die i believe we leave the material world and go elsewhere.... it is good to remember someone but i prefer to remember things i have done with the person, in short the "good times" so cliched i know......but it is my belief.....i know others here have differing beliefs and i respect that and welcome them to constructively disagree with me

Julian
13-01-2004, 19:37
You could always choose the spectacular option - Here (http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/features/story/0,11710,1103617,00.html) :eek: :eek:

altis
14-01-2004, 11:03
If I remember correctly, Arthur C Clark (author of '2001 a space oddesy' and inventor of geostationary satellites) went into space with Celestis (http://www.celestis.com/).

Graham
15-01-2004, 01:38
If I remember correctly, Arthur C Clark (author of '2001 a space oddesy' and inventor of geostationary satellites) went into space with

If he did, he would probably be very, very annoyed, since I don't think he's actually dead yet!!

http://www.deadoraliveinfo.com/dead.nsf/cnames-nf/Clarke+Arthur+C.

Xaccers
15-01-2004, 01:49
I'd rather have a diamond to remember them by than what some guy in america has.
His dad had several tatoos, and when he died he wanted them to be removed, preserved and mounted to be hung on the wall.

"Yes, that's the skin off my dad's back, see the lovely eagle tatoo?"

Paul
15-01-2004, 01:50
If he did, he would probably be very, very annoyed, since I don't think he's actually dead yet!!

http://www.deadoraliveinfo.com/dead.nsf/cnames-nf/Clarke+Arthur+C.

He is still alive (but a bit unwell) and living in Sri Lanka.