PDA

View Full Version : Am I geting old ???

Stuartbe
13-01-2004, 00:14
When I was growing up manners and respect was not an option - it was expected. I once told an old lady to get stuffed when I was 8 and got a hiding in front of all my mates for it.

People dont care about peoples feelings any more - No body bothers to open the door for an oap.. Kids swear and treat the bus drivers like dirt..

Is it me or or dont people give a :******: any more ?? Is it so bad or uncool to be nice to people ???

I wonder what the world would be like if anyone took a moment to consider others feeling ???

Damb I feel old......

Dave Stones
13-01-2004, 00:19
depends where you do... some of us are still polite my good sir :)

i have started looking down and shaking my head at all the people who go out in miniskirts etc though... my first thought is no longer "ooh she looks nice", its turned to "how the hell isnt she cold wearing that belt?" :cry: a sad day...

Stuartbe
13-01-2004, 00:27
depends where you do... some of us are still polite my good sir :)

i have started looking down and shaking my head at all the people who go out in miniskirts etc though... my first thought is no longer "ooh she looks nice", its turned to "how the hell isnt she cold wearing that belt?" :cry: a sad day...

Nice to see that you are polite.

Cant look at miniskirts - the wife would get a frying pan and I would have to :walk: very fast - yes dear im getting of the computer now !!! :rolleyes:

Dave Stones
13-01-2004, 00:33
Nice to see that you are polite.

Cant look at miniskirts - the wife would get a frying pan and I would have to :walk: very fast - yes dear im getting of the computer now !!! :rolleyes:

what if your wife wore a miniskirt? :naughty:

or what about when she isnt around? you cant say ur eyes dont wander :p ;)

Stuartbe
13-01-2004, 00:40
what if your wife wore a miniskirt? :naughty:

or what about when she isnt around? you cant say ur eyes dont wander :p ;)

Shhhhhh..... She has admin rights to the proxy log. :D

Nor
13-01-2004, 00:42
Kids these days know nobody can do anything to them. A recipe for getting away with murder.

Stuartbe
13-01-2004, 00:45
Kids these days know nobody can do anything to them. A recipe for getting away with murder.

I agree 100% there m8 - Teachers cant even shout at then these days for fear of being sued !!! I bet if some of todays kids got six of the best they would chnage there tune !!!!

kronas
13-01-2004, 04:19

that is very true.........

stuartbe, take a look in one of the threads i have setup about society as a whole, and how kids seem to be getting worse.

http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6205&page=1&pp=15

Paul
13-01-2004, 11:27
Sorry but I take exception to that, a minority of kids maybe, but not all - My kids are all well behaved, as are many of their friends.

paulyoung666
13-01-2004, 11:34
i am 36 but i know where you are coming from , i am using a crutch at the moment due to an accident , kids would rather barge me down than let me past or hold a door etc :mad: :mad: , mind you i was catching a bus this morning , i was about 100 feet from the stop when i saw the bus , i stuck my hand out in hope and was amazed the driver stopped for me and was polite , a small bit of faith restored :)

iadom
13-01-2004, 11:49
When I was growing up manners and respect was not an option - it was expected. I once told an old lady to get stuffed when I was 8 and got a hiding in front of all my mates for it.
You feel old, when I was growing up phrases such as "get stuffed" where not even part of our known vocabulary. and no one would have dreamed of answering back to any adult, let alone an old lady.:(

danielf
13-01-2004, 11:55
You feel old, when I was growing up phrases such as "get stuffed" where not even part of our known vocabulary. and no one would have dreamed of answering back to any adult, let alone an old lady.:(

No, but weren't our (grand)parents complaining about us when we were kids? I guess it's something of all ages. Getting old is probably part of it. I know it is for me ;)

Xaccers
13-01-2004, 12:03
I think it all went down hill when people stopped thinking "I need to get a job, the dole is a stigma" and started thinking "Why should I bother? If I don't I'll still get money, I'll still get fed, I'll still have my fags"

About that time there was a severe shift in society's thinking, from doing things for others, to wanting others to do things for us.

Look at old footage of school kids compared with that of todays.
The kids would be well behaved even though TV was a new and amazing thing to them.
These days the interviewer has to deal with kids calling out or giving hand gestures.

MrSums
13-01-2004, 13:12
There was a letter found which complained of the fact that kids aren't as polite as they used to be, that society seemed to be heading for hellandgone and that generally the weather wasn't as hot/cold/nice as it was when the author was a child.

.. it was found buried in Pompeii, written nearly 2,000 years ago. So I guess the answer is "yes", you're getting old.

Welcome to the club, but try to remember your sence of humour

Nor
13-01-2004, 13:34
Sorry but I take exception to that, a minority of kids maybe, but not all - My kids are all well behaved, as are many of their friends.

Thats not what I said though mate.

Nemesis
13-01-2004, 13:42
I don't think it's a "getting old" question really.

It's a matter of maturity, you see things differently as you get older and have a wider viewpoint on the world.

Kids these days are not that different to how they were 100+ years ago ... the punishments are.

Yoou can take a snapshot from any city anywhere in the world and get the same picture. It not that the kids have no respect ... more that they have no guidance. Noone to look up too, they feel left out and disadvantaged.

This is their viewpoint which isn't necessarily correct.

Also, it's not just the youth of today ... the older generation sometimes have a lot to learn.

luftys
13-01-2004, 14:29
I work with kids,most of them are great :D most times I find it the adults that are worse
The other day I opened a door for someone they just walked through no ty .so its not always the young

Lew
13-01-2004, 14:36
The other day I opened a door for someone they just walked through no ty

I hate when people do that. I usually just call out "You're welcome!" in a nice loud voice when people do that to me :D

Xaccers
13-01-2004, 15:03
I hate when people do that. I usually just call out "You're welcome!" in a nice loud voice when people do that to me :D

I hate people who park in "parent/child" spaces when they don't have kids.
If I see them and I'm in a bad mood, I'll shout out "you've left your child in your car you horrible parent!" as they walk away from their car alone.

Julian
13-01-2004, 15:39
I can remember dreading if my parents found out I'd misbehaved at school.

Nowadays though some parents do not seem to care. They will actively side with their child even knowing he/she has done wrong - " My little boy/girl wouldn't do that!! " is a favourite I'm sure. :(

I wonder how much interest some of them take in the lives of their children unless something goes wrong??

ian@huth
13-01-2004, 16:18

Nowadays though some parents do not seem to care. They will actively side with their child even knowing he/she has done wrong - " My little boy/girl wouldn't do that!! " is a favourite I'm sure. :(

I wonder how much interest some of them take in the lives of their children unless something goes wrong??

I watched "Wall of Silence" last night on ITV which vividly showed this point and was based on a true story.

I hate people who park in "parent/child" spaces when they don't have kids.
If I see them and I'm in a bad mood, I'll shout out "you've left your child in your car you horrible parent!" as they walk away from their car alone.

Many people do not realise the intention of parent/child parking spaces. They are put there to give extra room for parents to put a pram or pushchair alongside the car to safely move their child into it. They should not be used simply because you have a child with you.

Many children get their bad habits from following their parents examples and also copying what other children do. The more that this happens, the worse the situation will get and without the disciplines of years gone by there is nothing to stop it happening.

paulyoung666
13-01-2004, 16:23

100 % spot on in my opinion :)

Xaccers
13-01-2004, 16:24
Many people do not realise the intention of parent/child parking spaces. They are put there to give extra room for parents to put a pram or pushchair alongside the car to safely move their child into it. They should not be used simply because you have a child with you.

Many children get their bad habits from following their parents examples and also copying what other children do. The more that this happens, the worse the situation will get and without the disciplines of years gone by there is nothing to stop it happening.

There's a difference between parent/child and parent/pushchair spaces.
parent/child ones are there for the reason you give, and also for aditional safety of small children who do not need pushchairs.

ian@huth
13-01-2004, 16:32
parent/child ones are there for the reason you give, and also for aditional safety of small children who do not need pushchairs.

I would tend to disagree with you on this. Parent/child spaces are wider than normal in order to accomodate pushchairs, etc. There is no increase in the safety of small children by nominating a parking spot as parent/child. It is up to the parent to ensure the safety of the child by making sure that they do not exit the car until told to do so by a parent who is outside the door that they will get out of. Making sure that the child is aware of what to do is part of the process of ensuring that they behave in a proper manner. Taking up parking spaces that are designated parent/child with a child that doesn't need a pushchair means you could force someone with a pushchair to use a normal width space with the inherent danger that can bring.

paulyoung666
13-01-2004, 16:34

isnt that just a case of different supermarkets calling them different things :confused:

homealone
13-01-2004, 16:35

as Paul said, spot-on!

My wife is a teacher & comes across this, 'little Johnny' is warned if he continues to misbehave he won't be allowed to go on the scool trip - little Johnny continues to misbehave & is given a note for his parents informing them he can't go. Cue irate parent ranting on that their child is being victimised.:(

Nugget
13-01-2004, 16:40
My wife is a teacher & comes across this, 'little Johnny' is warned if he continues to misbehave he won't be allowed to go on the scool trip - little Johnny continues to misbehave & is given a note for his parents informing them he can't go. Cue irate parent ranting on that their child is being victimised.:(

Hmmmmmmm! For 'Little Johnny' read 'homealone', and for 'school trip' read 'to Tesco for more wine' :wavey:

paulyoung666
13-01-2004, 16:42
Hmmmmmmm! For 'Little Johnny' read 'homealone', and for 'school trip' read 'to Tesco for more wine' :wavey:

pmsl @ that :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Xaccers
13-01-2004, 16:51
I would tend to disagree with you on this. Parent/child spaces are wider than normal in order to accomodate pushchairs, etc. There is no increase in the safety of small children by nominating a parking spot as parent/child. It is up to the parent to ensure the safety of the child by making sure that they do not exit the car until told to do so by a parent who is outside the door that they will get out of. Making sure that the child is aware of what to do is part of the process of ensuring that they behave in a proper manner. Taking up parking spaces that are designated parent/child with a child that doesn't need a pushchair means you could force someone with a pushchair to use a normal width space with the inherent danger that can bring.

Yes, and having the extra space to be free to open the door for your child, and a safe space for them to stand next to the car is, speaking from experience, a heck of a lot safer than a normal space.
My ex has a freind who works at grimsby's asda, and we asked her about it too.

Anyway, people without kids certainly shouldn't use them

homealone

lol - but it's not fair, she won't let me go 'cos I was late cleaning the bathroom :cry:

/thinks about how to avenge self against tall ginger person;):naughty:

@Paul - he knows me too well;) :rofl:

Xaccers

It's true isn't it? :D

Nugget
13-01-2004, 16:56
Thanks mate (although he is going to kill me when he sees me tomorrow :naughty: :naughty:

kronas
13-01-2004, 16:56

that does happen, its really a mixture of parents not taking responsibility for what there children are doing, and children getting away with murder these days, i also agree that its not about getting old, but realising what is going on around you, you look at city centres, your local area and sometimes you see kids hanging around and generally making a nuisance of themselves. i have noticed the increase in this especially in younger children, although you could say, its down to immaturity as well...........

Bex
13-01-2004, 19:38
what i was going to say before my pc crashed again was.....

i would say that generally it is the case that kids have less manners, however obviously not in all cases......

we are bringing my nephew up to have manners, because we were bought up that way.....apart from the normal teenager/parent disputes i have never been rude to an elder..it is disrespectful and wrong...

but i must admit i have caught the bus home a few times and been astounded by the lack of manners of teenagers now days...they push into queues, swear incesently and have no respect for their elders

:mad:

(i apologies having bad day)

Julian
13-01-2004, 19:45
It is down to the parents to teach the children respect.

Is it any wonder there is a shortage of teachers when they are faced with disruptive pupils and get no parental support in their disciplinary procedures? :(