PDA

View Full Version : How to get money back from ntl?

AJ16
12-01-2004, 18:40
In May 2003 we moved house to an area not serviced by ntl. We sent off cancellation letters and arranged for the TV box to be collected, which it was. So far so good. But despite the box being collected and us no longer living in the house, they contined to bill us for TV and phone services the following month. This was eventually sorted and we received no further bills. However, our last statement from them showed that they owed us some money.

We thought that perhaps a cheque would follow. We waited and nothing turned up. We wrote to ntl in August, by this time having received two statements saying that we were x amount in credit. We asked for them to close the account and forward the money we were owed.

We did not receive a reply to our letter and needless to say, we still have not received the money owing to us.

My boyfriend telephoned a couple of months ago and was told that a cheque had been sent out to us but because we weren't living at the house it had been returned. Can't quite figure this one out given that we pay for mail redirection and if anything had been delivered to our old address the landlords would've forwarded it to us.

The person my boyfriend spoke to then assured him that another cheque would be issued to our new address, but like I said before, we've not received anything.

Can anyone advise the best way to get our money from ntl?

Thanks

Julia

Derek
12-01-2004, 18:53
What area were you in?

DrAwesome
12-01-2004, 19:32
I would go and visit your local NTL franchise (saves all the hassle sending a cheque via the post) or ring them up and ask them if you can collect it.

I'm waiting for a cheque from NTL i was told it would take 2+ weeks before i recieve it.

Its funny when i owe NTL money at the end of each month they want it Now, when they owe me money i have to wait 2+ weeks then 3-4 days before the cheque clears.

Kneebs
12-01-2004, 20:35
First off, Welcome :wavey: ...

Just keep ringing them up every few days, eventually you might get someone who'll act upon what you tell them.....

Although I reckon you've got more chance of getting blood out of a stone :rolleyes:

AJ16
12-01-2004, 21:33
Thanks for the replies and the welcome :)

dezzo: We used to live in Northampton.

I'm grateful for your suggestions - we won't give up on this.

Thanks again

Julia

Mr Concerned
26-01-2004, 01:24
If ntl still haven't given you your refund, another option could be this route:

Send ntl a final letter, giving them 14 days to give you the refund. First class mail is adequate to serve this, but you may prefer something like recorded delivery.
If you still have not been refunded at the end of the 14 days, you can start a County Court claim through Money Claim Online (http://www.courtservice.gov.uk/mcol/) - a relatively straight forward process.

Neil
26-01-2004, 08:11
<snip>

Hi Julia, & Welcome to nthw.

The best thing you can do is go to the top,& ring the MD for your region.

If you PM me your postcode, I will let you have his details so that you can get this sorted once & for all.

Oz_Arnold
31-01-2004, 08:19
If ntl still haven't given you your refund, another option could be this route:

Send ntl a final letter, giving them 14 days to give you the refund. First class mail is adequate to serve this, but you may prefer something like recorded delivery.
If you still have not been refunded at the end of the 14 days, you can start a County Court claim through Money Claim Online (http://www.courtservice.gov.uk/mcol/) - a relatively straight forward process.

If you are going to take this action (and I've done it myself with another company) make sure it's recorded. You need to know that it was delivered and just not "lost in the post" as the recipient might try and claim they never received it - it's also useful to know when it was delivered.