PDA

View Full Version : Digital Radio via PC ?

Paul33
12-01-2004, 19:31
Okay, firstly my apologies, as a newbie, if this has been covered elsewhere but I can't find a clear answer if it has and this one has been doing my head in for ages !!!

I want to connect my NTL cable feed to my PC in some way that allows me to receive digital radio through my PC.

I have a junction box with an FM socket on it and, obviously, I also have a set top box. Can I achieve my goal here and, if so, what are the limitations ?

Technically, I'm no expert, so a clear description of what I have to connect from what to what and via what would be hugely appreciated.

Every other forum has failed to provide an answer on this one, so it's over to you folks !!!

badnbusy
12-01-2004, 19:49
the ntl cable does not carry digital radio. You can connect an aerial, or cable to the FM socket, but you will only normal radio stations, and a few tv audio feeds

Paul33
12-01-2004, 19:52
the ntl cable does not carry digital radio.
Now I'm real confused !!!

If it doesn't carry digital radio then what are the radio stations I hear via the TV which I thought were digital ?

iadom
12-01-2004, 19:53
the ntl cable does not carry digital radio. You can connect an aerial, or cable to the FM socket, but you will only normal radio stations, and a few tv audio feedsI thought Radio5Live was digital only. I can get that on my TV via Ntl STB:confused:

Pual33,Altis is the forum member who may be able to provide the answers. Try a PM to Altis, if he does not respond to this thread.

BTW.:welcome: to the forum.

Proppinupthebar
12-01-2004, 20:45
I thought Radio5Live was digital only. I can get that on my TV via Ntl STB:confused:

Pual33,Altis is the forum member who may be able to provide the answers. Try a PM to Altis, if he does not respond to this thread.

BTW.:welcome: to the forum.

What badnbusy is saying is that there is no DAB radio carried in the cable feed to your house (just like theres no DTT there either). There are radio stations carried as part of the digital cable but technically its not really digital Radio.
Paul33 the only thing you can do is pipe the audio outs from the STB into your PC.
Alternatively get a DAB card for your PC (saw one in Maplin at the weekend for £55).

altis
12-01-2004, 20:48
[John Inman voice]
I'm here!
[/John Inman voice]

Where do we start?
Let's try - why do you want digital radio specifically? You mention the FM socket and indeed it is quite likely that there are some radio channels on it. Check out my FM hookup (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/altisuk/fm/index.htm) FAQs page. Note that this is an analogue service - but none the worse for that.

You could connect the audio output of your STB to the line input of your sound card. This would provide you with digital radio but you would need access to the STB to change channels and you wouldn't be able to watch another TV channel at the same time. You could rent another STB just for your PC but, as I have said many times before, this is a very expensive way of providing radio.

You could try a DVB-C (digital cable) card in your PC but I suspect that the radio channels are encrypted too. There is no way that NTL will provide an access card for this kind of set up.

You could get a DVB-T (digital terrestrial) card and connect it to an ordinary TV aerial. There are several radio channels on Freeview.

You could get a DAB (digital audio) card and connect it to a DAB aerial. Depending on your location, there are many DAB radio channels.

But to get the largest choice of radio chanels you will need to get a dish, LNB and a DVB-S (digital satellite) card.

Proppinupthebar
12-01-2004, 20:53
But to get the largest choice of radio chanels you will need to get a dish, LNB and a DVB-S (digital satellite) card.

Altis is right and the vast majority of radio stations on Astra 2/Eurobird 1 are unencrypted.

JonSav
12-01-2004, 21:12
most of the stations that are carried on both digital tv and DAB are mainly broadcast on-line anyway. Try looking at the stations web-sites. (www.bbc.co.uk/radio) if you've got broadband, you should have no problem.

Frank
13-01-2004, 01:30
You could connect the audio output of your STB to the line input of your sound card. This would provide you with digital radio but you would need access to the STB to change channels and you wouldn't be able to watch another TV channel at the same time.I believe this is the best method, and the only way to get the "digital" radio channels on your PC. This is because you have no DAB tuner in your PC, nor does the ntl box provide a DAB feed, as already stated.