PDA

View Full Version : Questions to ask estate agents

Dave Stones
12-01-2004, 12:21
ok i am going looking round a couple of houses for my flatmates on wednesday afternoon, they might not be able to go so i need to come up with a list of questions to harass the estate agent/landlord with. this is what ive come up with so far:

Damage liability - who is responsible for paying for and organising repairs to broken things etc?

telephone - is there one in each bedroom or one for the whole house?

what is included in the rent? (gas, telephone line rental, water, electricity)

Cable/satellite tv installed/allowed to be installed? (it says satellite tv on the spec sheet but is also in a telewest area so im just curious here;))

so if anyone knows any other important questions to ask him i would be grateful :)

danielf
12-01-2004, 12:29
Have any of the previous tenants been cut off from services for non-payment?

If someone before you has not paid say their telephone bills, this can cause problems for people moving into the property later on.

Graham
12-01-2004, 13:24
i need to come up with a list of questions to harass the estate agent/landlord with.

Have a look at http://sub.which.net/legal/cls/cls_4/leaflet4.pdf which should give you some help, or visit your local C.A.B.

Bifta
12-01-2004, 13:43
ok i am going looking round a couple of houses for my flatmates on wednesday afternoon, they might not be able to go so i need to come up with a list of questions to harass the estate agent/landlord with. this is what ive come up with so far:

Damage liability - who is responsible for paying for and organising repairs to broken things etc?

telephone - is there one in each bedroom or one for the whole house?

what is included in the rent? (gas, telephone line rental, water, electricity)

Cable/satellite tv installed/allowed to be installed? (it says satellite tv on the spec sheet but is also in a telewest area so im just curious here;))

so if anyone knows any other important questions to ask him i would be grateful :)

Just ask the landlord for a sample copy of the lease he gives to tenants, it should cover everything you need to know.

Ramrod
12-01-2004, 14:21
Get in writing the circumstances in wich your deposit can be withheld.

SMHarman
12-01-2004, 14:24
Make sure the checkin and checkout process are well handled. Who does this, who does inventory for items in the house, state of walls carpets etc.

What would expected checkout requirements be. Damn good clean, or would you require professional cleaning of carpets, cooker.

bob_a_builder
12-01-2004, 14:36
Questions to ask estate agents
How they justify their charges (and existance for that matter)

Jon M
12-01-2004, 15:54
Related to bob's comment.. if there are any estate agents fees payable, they will generally give you a discount from the advertised amount.. eg: down to 1.2% from 1.5%.. (sounds small.. but makes a big difference)

Although in this situation I doubt you'll be paying them anything, as the seller pays for advertising their own property and your friends aren't selling at the same time are they?

Dave Stones
12-01-2004, 16:03
we dont have to pay any fees or anything like that..

just to clarify we are students moving out of university accommodation into privately let housing for our second year. the estate agent/whatever is a letting agent for some student letting company, i wouldnt imagine they would charge us a lot, being students and all ;)

we dont have to pay council tax either :D:D

Dave Stones
16-01-2004, 13:22
*bump* hurrah we have found a house, signing the contract on monday :D