PDA

View Full Version : Night From Hell

Marge
11-01-2004, 20:24
I've had one of those nights where I just have lost the will to live. Sit comfortably and read Debs night of woe.

I was going to see someone in Rochdale to sort out a BB problem. Set off in my car, got down the road and my car conked out. Managed to restart but got 100 yards down the road and went again. No amount of coaxing from me could get it running again. Phoned an ex who came down with a tow rope to get me home. no hook thing on the front to tow with. Phoned Green Flag who to their credit were brilliant, they were with me in about 15 minutes. Then ran out of credit on phone, topped it up and then battery went. My car on the back of the tow truck and car now back home. Needs an ignition coil which is anything between £70 - £100.

Phoned friend who picked me up and took me to Rochdale, sorted BB problem out in no time at all, got back in friends car to come home. Now her bluddy car wouldn't start :eek: Cos she had sat there with lights on thought the battery had gone. Tried jumpstarting, no joy. Pushing car up and down road with aid of local kids. Nothing.

Went back to house to see if anyone had jump leads, put them on car, still nothing. WTF. My heart hadn't just sink it was now in my shoes. Then friend realised that her immobliser was on :erm:, turned that off and it started no problem..................

No home with no car and no way of getting to work tomorrow, start at 8 am and on a usual day can take me an hour to get to work in car, never mind however many buses it would take. Fed up is an understatement. Think the old saying that if things can go wrong they will go wrong.

A very cheesed off Debs :cry:

kronas
11-01-2004, 20:28
aww poor debs, want a massage i give nice rub downs, :naughty: i have been having too many of these days recentl,y where things dont quite go to plan. :(

Russ
11-01-2004, 20:30
Never mind Debs, at least Chelsea lost :D

Flubflow
11-01-2004, 20:32
What make/model is your car? Let's see if any of us gallant knights/knightettes in shining armour here can come to the rescue and source an ignition coil for cheaper than that.

Sociable
11-01-2004, 20:34
Awwwwwwww {{{{{{{Soft Hugs}}}}}}}}

Tell your boss Sociable said it was OK for you to take the day off hun. :)

Last time I told a friend to say "Peter" said it was OK, the person's boss just said, "Oh that's OK then" and never mentioned it again.

We never did work just which "Peter" he assumed it was cos he didn't know me from Adam, but they obviously had some clout with the boss. LOL

Florence
11-01-2004, 20:36
I've had one of those nights where I just have lost the will to live. Sit comfortably and read Debs night of woe.

I was going to see someone in Rochdale to sort out a BB problem. Set off in my car, got down the road and my car conked out. Managed to restart but got 100 yards down the road and went again. No amount of coaxing from me could get it running again. Phoned an ex who came down with a tow rope to get me home. no hook thing on the front to tow with. Phoned Green Flag who to their credit were brilliant, they were with me in about 15 minutes. Then ran out of credit on phone, topped it up and then battery went. My car on the back of the tow truck and car now back home. Needs an ignition coil which is anything between £70 - £100.

Phoned friend who picked me up and took me to Rochdale, sorted BB problem out in no time at all, got back in friends car to come home. Now her bluddy car wouldn't start :eek: Cos she had sat there with lights on thought the battery had gone. Tried jumpstarting, no joy. Pushing car up and down road with aid of local kids. Nothing.

Went back to house to see if anyone had jump leads, put them on car, still nothing. WTF. My heart hadn't just sink it was now in my shoes. Then friend realised that her immobliser was on :erm:, turned that off and it started no problem..................

No home with no car and no way of getting to work tomorrow, start at 8 am and on a usual day can take me an hour to get to work in car, never mind however many buses it would take. Fed up is an understatement. Think the old saying that if things can go wrong they will go wrong.

A very cheesed off Debs :cry:

Debs my hubby works for a motor factors whose head office is in Rochdale. What make model and year is the car and he can tell you if the price of £70 to £100 is right he thought it was over the top.

Jon M
11-01-2004, 20:41
Sorry you had a bad day Debs,

If you stay in tomorrow.. have a nice long bath, read a book, and sit down to watch your favourite soap whilst eating chocolate and drinking diet coke.. then order a chinese for dinner.

You'll look back and laugh at days like that, I promise.

(obviously, if you don't want to do any of the things i suggested.. replace them with things that you like ;))

homealone
11-01-2004, 20:48
Debs my hubby works for a motor factors whose head office is in Rochdale. What make model and year is the car and he can tell you if the price of £70 to £100 is right he thought it was over the top.

I thought the price was OTT as well, Kitty, I've just had a quick look at some online shops & a coil for a Citroen Saxo was £22.

Even if the price includes labour it still seems excessive, a coil is probably the easiest part to fit on a car and shouldn't take even 10 minutes for a competent mechanic:shrug:

- sorry you had such a bad day Debsy, we don't want to make it worse by you being ripped off :)

Flubflow
11-01-2004, 20:49

Yeah, I thought it was over top too for a coil. Unless it is some really obscure car an/or has some clever unique features that I'm not aware of then it should really only be around £12 - £25 (at your local independent autoparts shop).
It's usually only one or two bolts and a couple of wires to unplug so it is a dead easy job and should only take 5min.

Marge
11-01-2004, 20:58
Sorry just been on phone to friend having a moan, I've got a Golf 1.4 CL K reg. I have no idea how much these things cost and will have to ring local motor factors in the morning. Thing is now I bluddy starving, got no food in and have to WALK to local chippy, now this is a crisis :erm:

Florence
11-01-2004, 21:00
Yeah, I thought it was over top too for a coil. Unless it is some really obscure car an/or has some clever unique features that I'm not aware of then it should really only be around £12 - £25 (at your local independent autoparts shop).
It's usually only one or two bolts and a couple of wires to unplug so it is a dead easy job and should only take 5min.

Yes I had a brother who thought that equal oppertunitys meant I had to get oily as wel if my car needed work. I have fitted one once.

Ramrod
11-01-2004, 21:16
i give nice rub downs, :naughty: You give nice rubs down where Kronas? :D

dodgyboy
11-01-2004, 21:23
Sounds like your day has been lousy. Soz to hear that :(

Tell your boss Sociable said it was OK for you to take the day off hun. :)

Or you can send her down to see me and I'll sort her out ;)

Chimaera
11-01-2004, 21:27
You give nice rubs down where Kronas? :D
In his house Ramrod??? Where else?? :rolleyes: :naughty:

Stuart
11-01-2004, 21:46
Debsy, we all have days like that. I know I certainly do. Just remember the message in my sig, and you should be OK...

Good luck...

homealone
11-01-2004, 21:57
Debsy, we all have days like that. I know I certainly do. Just remember the message in my sig, and you should be OK...

Good luck...

that's all very well Stu, but a 'shameless plug' in a thread about ignition systems has to be a bit risquÃÃâ€*’© :naughty:

Marge
11-01-2004, 22:00
that's all very well Stu, but a 'shameless plug' in a thread about ignition systems has to be a bit risquÃÃâ€*’© :naughty:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thank you to all for your kind words, I know it's not the end of the world and still managing to have a laugh. The chippy tea has certainly helped make me feel better :tu:

Stuart
11-01-2004, 22:10
:rofl:

That's not the bit I meant...

Marge
11-01-2004, 22:24
Massive Thank You to Kitty for her kind help :tu: Hopefuly should be able to get this sorted out tomorrow and mobile again. Can't cope with walking to the chippy :erm:

Bifta
12-01-2004, 00:28
Sorry just been on phone to friend having a moan, I've got a Golf 1.4 CL K reg. I have no idea how much these things cost and will have to ring local motor factors in the morning. Thing is now I bluddy starving, got no food in and have to WALK to local chippy, now this is a crisis :erm:

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, it's late and I'm too lazy to look through every post, try your local scrapyard, your car is by no means rare so you should be able to pick a new coil up for next to nothing, some yards if you're really nice to them will even fit it for you (which doesn't help if you can't actually get the car there .. sorry)

homealone
12-01-2004, 02:47
Sorry if this has been mentioned already, it's late and I'm too lazy to look through every post, try your local scrapyard, your car is by no means rare so you should be able to pick a new coil up for next to nothing, some yards if you're really nice to them will even fit it for you (which doesn't help if you can't actually get the car there .. sorry)

good call - do we call it a 'scrap yard', or a 'vehicle reclamation utility'

kronas
12-01-2004, 02:51
In his house Ramrod??? Where else?? :rolleyes: :naughty:

you round mine,even better :naughty:

You give nice rubs down where Kronas? :D

now that would be telling,im not willing to divulge that type of info :naughty: :D

luftys
12-01-2004, 14:19
Hope your today is better debs :D but walking is good for you,I walk to work every day :angel:

Marge
12-01-2004, 15:01
Well update, have just walked 15 miles to collect the part I need (maybe a slight exaggeration but it felt that far :erm: ) and booked in with Green Flag as they will come back and fit the part for me and is all part of my cover. Have to say I have been very impressed with the service I have received from them and would defo recommend them. The best thing is I got the cover free with my insurance :tu:

Atomic22
12-01-2004, 18:03
green flag are very good and very quick......also they cover your car for whoevers driving it and this makes it cheaper than AA or RAC

Bex
12-01-2004, 18:50
debs sound like is really was the day from hell :( hope you had a better one today hun

Marge
12-01-2004, 20:44
Ok for anyone remotely interested the saga continues, the part he fitted didn't solve the problem. Bless him he was there for ages and finally had to admit defeat. So my poor baby was again on the back of the transporter for a trip to Stockport where it's currently in the garage, latest thinking is that it's the distributor. Had to walk all the way to mum and dads, cadge some tea and then dad has just brought me home. Good old dads eh, how would we cope without them ???

luftys
13-01-2004, 18:49
Ok for anyone remotely interested the saga continues, the part he fitted didn't solve the problem. Bless him he was there for ages and finally had to admit defeat. So my poor baby was again on the back of the transporter for a trip to Stockport where it's currently in the garage, latest thinking is that it's the distributor. Had to walk all the way to mum and dads, cadge some tea and then dad has just brought me home. Good old dads eh, how would we cope without them ???
Ahhhhh poor you,hope they get it fixed soon

Maggy
13-01-2004, 19:02
green flag are very good and very quick......also they cover your car for whoevers driving it and this makes it cheaper than AA or RAC

The RAC cover the DRIVER not the car.My husband is also covered.

Marge
14-01-2004, 21:01
Final update (hopefully) on the car saga, picked it up eventually last night, one distributor, auto-electrician and igntion coil later. Final price was £250 :eek: Car is now running great but my advice to everyone would be to make sure you're in Green Flag, RAC whoever. As my car couldn't be towed it had to go on a transporter and god only knows how much that would have cost for the two trips. Green Flag even took it to the garage of my choice :tu: Thanks to all for help and I hope I repped everyone accordingly :D

homealone
14-01-2004, 21:22
Final update (hopefully) on the car saga, picked it up eventually last night, one distributor, auto-electrician and igntion coil later. Final price was £250 :eek: Car is now running great but my advice to everyone would be to make sure you're in Green Flag, RAC whoever. As my car couldn't be towed it had to go on a transporter and god only knows how much that would have cost for the two trips. Green Flag even took it to the garage of my choice :tu: Thanks to all for help and I hope I repped everyone accordingly :D

Shame it was the distributor, it's not a cheap item, itself & you have to re-do the timing etc, which adds to the labour.

Bet you are glad it's sorted, though :)

- good advice about the Breakdown Recovery, they have really helped us out, when we have needed to call on them - recently, as it's my wife who's the member, we have twice had to drive her to my sons car, so she could call them out as the passenger;)

DrAwesome
14-01-2004, 22:23

jeez thats more than what the car is worth isnt it? :eek: :eek:

Transporting a car can be anywhere beteen £50-100 depending who has transported it, if it was a beemer, merc or a porche garage you can double that fee easily.

I guess you have had your moneys worth out of green flag :scratch:

Marge
14-01-2004, 22:27
jeez thats more than what the car is worth isnt it? :eek: :eek:

Transporting a car can be anywhere beteen £50-100 depending who has transported it, if it was a beemer, merc or a porche garage you can double that fee easily.

I guess you have had your moneys worth out of green flag

Cheeky so and so :rolleyes:

swoop101
14-01-2004, 22:28

go on get 'im Debs :D :rofl:

DrAwesome
14-01-2004, 22:28

:kiss: :kiss: :rofl:

go on get 'im Debs :D :rofl:

hey!
who's side are you on?

wouldnt it be great if we all had st matter transporters instead of cars.

luftys
14-01-2004, 23:06
Glad you got it fixed Debs :D

homealone
14-01-2004, 23:17
:kiss: :kiss: :rofl:

hey!
who's side are you on?

wouldnt it be great if we all had st matter transporters instead of cars.

I dunno - I'm sure I read a study which said - if all transport in Brazil was limited to 25 mph and the fuel was limited to alcohol derived from local plants, it would be sustainable.

I like going fast - but do we have to all the time?

DrAwesome
14-01-2004, 23:28
I dunno - I'm sure I read a study which said - if all transport in Brazil was limited to 25 mph and the fuel was limited to alcohol derived from local plants, it would be sustainable.

I like going fast - but do we have to all the time?

totally get rid of cars for transport altogether

some of the advantages of using a Star Trek Matter Transporter

they would be no traffic jams, road tax & its enviromentaly friendly

no need for car insurance or spending money on petrol

arrive at work on time

wouldnt need to use taxi's, or buses

shopping at tesco, asda would be a breeze

they would be no road traffic accidents

no polution good for the enviroment

no need to fly by aeroplane just beam to your holiday destination

you cant drink & drive but you could maybe drink & beam

and reduces the possibility of experiancing Nights From Hell

Stuartbe
14-01-2004, 23:45
When you are having a bad day just sit back and think............................................. .....You could work for NTL :rofl:

It makes me feel better...