PDA

View Full Version : women are getting more tech savvy

kronas
11-01-2004, 10:47
at the computer electronics show in las vegas, the spotlight has turned on to the increasing trend of women wanting gadgets,mp3 players cameras etc,but it seems companys are neglecting women, simply because the common thought is that women do not know anything related to electronics or simply dont understand.........

but this trend is changing, women are becoming more and more focused on buying electrical goods and i dont mean housekeeping devices :D

Research commissioned by the CES organisers looked at how women were treated when they went shopping for gadgets.

It found that most of all, women were irritated by unhelpful and pushy salespersons.

Many simply felt dumb, even though they considered themselves smart women.

"Our female customers feel a big lack of r-e-s-p-e-c-t," admitted Dave Williams, Vice President of Research & Analysis at the electronics chain Best Buy.

"They are ignored, confused by pushy salesman. If she's disrespected, it all goes down the toilet."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3386533.stm

havana
11-01-2004, 11:05
Unfortunately many sales personal fail to realise that many women now know more about new technology than they do, its time they were removed or retrained.

I n fact went into a major pc store the other day with my 12 year old niece who knew more about pcâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s than the salesperson and was getting very frustrated by him being unable to answer her questions.

Russ
11-01-2004, 11:16
Unfortunately many sales personal fail to realise that many women now know more about new technology than they do, its time they were removed or retrained.

I n fact went into a major pc store the other day with my 12 year old niece who knew more about pcâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s than the salesperson and was getting very frustrated by him being unable to answer her questions.

Admitedly this was a few years back but when I worked in Tandy's, the VAST majority of times, the man would do all the talking when looking for a new tv, video, pc etc while the woman would stand there looking confused.

I certainly do agree that women are becoming more tech-savvy, some of the best second line techs at NTL when I was there were women.

luftys
11-01-2004, 12:52
I think a lot of sales people look at the ladies as dumb,but most of them are not :D some of them just dont stand up for them selfs
So come on girls burn your bra and get out they

Bex
11-01-2004, 13:00
at the computer electronics show in las vegas, the spotlight has turned on to the increasing trend of women wanting gadgets,mp3 players cameras etc,but it seems companys are neglecting women, simply because the common thought is that women do not know anything related to electronics or simply dont understand.........

but this trend is changing, women are becoming more and more focused on buying electrical goods and i dont mean housekeeping devices :D

Research commissioned by the CES organisers looked at how women were treated when they went shopping for gadgets.

It found that most of all, women were irritated by unhelpful and pushy salespersons.

Many simply felt dumb, even though they considered themselves smart women.

"Our female customers feel a big lack of r-e-s-p-e-c-t," admitted Dave Williams, Vice President of Research & Analysis at the electronics chain Best Buy.

"They are ignored, confused by pushy salesman. If she's disrespected, it all goes down the toilet."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3386533.stm

i agree the amount of times i've been looking in pc shops and they have directed me towards a "simpler model" which basically does less, is less powerful etc...thinking i know nothing about pcs..... i may not be the most knowledgable person in the world, however i do admit sometimes i play dumb (well men need to feel useful for something ;) )