PDA

View Full Version : Aston Villa

Nugget
09-01-2004, 12:56
I read in the news that Doug Ellis finally wants to put some money into the club. I reckon that we need to strengthen the team - does anybody else think that we've got any chance of encouraging top players to the club? If O'Leary tries to get Viduka, would he cut the mustard or would it better to get somebody like Crouch again and try to build him up?

Mal
09-01-2004, 13:03
I thought it was only Man Utd who had fans not from their city. :)

homealone
09-01-2004, 13:04

have you seen how Grimsby Town have been doing recently......:(

homealone
09-01-2004, 13:19
I read in the news that Doug Ellis finally wants to put some money into the club. I reckon that we need to strengthen the team - does anybody else think that we've got any chance of encouraging top players to the club? If O'Leary tries to get Viduka, would he cut the mustard or would it better to get somebody like Crouch again and try to build him up?

I'd like to see an end to the 'cheque book' approach to football, more money should, imo, be put into youth schemes to develop more 'home grown' talent, rather than buying in overpaid players from overseas. I think Cricket has the right idea only allowing two overseas players per team.:shrug:

dodgyboy
09-01-2004, 13:26

Viduka would be a good player for AV, and I think given a few years and european qualification you could attract the big names. O'leary seems to be doing a pretty good job, but if Doug is going to spend some money (and thats a big if) then I hope O'leary doesnt "do a leeds"

dodgyboy
09-01-2004, 13:29
I think Cricket has the right idea only allowing two overseas players per team.:shrug:

I think UEFA were looking at bringing a non EU player limit back in (but I guess that would only cover european games)
Homegrown is the way to go, and that could only benefit the home nations national sides aswell.
You never know given another 50 years England might be able to find a left footer :D

homealone
09-01-2004, 13:45
I think UEFA were looking at bringing a non EU player limit back in (but I guess that would only cover european games)
Homegrown is the way to go, and that could only benefit the home nations national sides aswell.
You never know given another 50 years England might be able to find a left footer :D

LOL:D

- the other thing that annoys me is where smaller clubs have really good youth schemes and 'bring on' a good player, they are often left with little choice but to sell them, so the local talent doesn't end up benefiting the local team. You can't blame the players, as the gap between earnings in the Premier & the rest of the League is so great.

Nugget
09-01-2004, 14:09

Don't worry - I'm not anything like any of the United fans :eek:

I'm originally from Birmingham and, like any true fan, kept the team that I started with (let's face it, homealone's got a good point!) :rofl:

homealone
09-01-2004, 14:13

I'm originally from Birmingham and, like any true fan, kept the team that I started with (let's face it, homealone's got a good point!) :rofl:

He had to say that - he's sat right next to me:D - not a lot of work going on in our office this afternoon :rofl:

Nugget
09-01-2004, 14:15
He had to say that - he's sat right next to me:D - not a lot of work going on in our office this afternoon :rofl:

Mind you, there's never a lot of work happening in our office - if I'm not talking about the Villa, we're both outside smoking. Hard life, really! :zzz:

Anyway, back to the footie - if we couldn't get someone like Viduka, I'd like to see an established player coming to the team. If Angel does leave (really hope not), we need to find someone who'll get us 15-20 goals per season and I can't think of anybody like that who's available.

Then again, I think that our reserve team are top of the league at the minute, so why can't we get some of the players from there and give them a chance to show it the top level?

Mal
09-01-2004, 14:45
Utd are my local team :)

Oh well...

Nugget
09-01-2004, 14:50
[QUOTE=Mal]Utd are my local team :)

Sorry Mal!! Didn't notice that you're from Salford - I meant all of the Utd fans who don't live in Manchester!! :)

Atomic22
10-01-2004, 19:01
Sorry Mal!! Didn't notice that you're from Salford - I meant all of the Utd fans who don't live in Manchester!! :)
oh no not this old one again...........
at least give us constructive criticism instead of coming up with this same old crap......hehehe
i mean we have beaten "da viller" twice in the last few weeks and you havent mentioned that both refs were united fans , we paid them ,ruud was offside ,all they sell to eat at trafford is prawn sandwiches etc etc etc
:bigcry:

kronas
10-01-2004, 19:07
at least give us constructive criticism instead of coming up with this same old crap......hehehe
i mean we have beaten "da viller" twice in the last few weeks and you havent mentioned that both refs were united fans , we paid them ,ruud was offside ,all they sell to eat at trafford is prawn sandwiches etc etc etc
:bigcry:

:rofl:

too right,dont mess with man utd,especially there supporters :eek: :D

Nugget
15-01-2004, 15:48
i mean we have beaten "da viller" twice in the last few weeks
Sorry to ALL of the Man U fans (I'm only jealous - Man U regularly play us off the park. Do you think that you could just let Villa win once :bigcry: )

Atomic22
15-01-2004, 18:18
Sorry to ALL of the Man U fans (I'm only jealous - Man U regularly play us off the park. Do you think that you could just let Villa win once)
ok seeing as you asked so nicely.....
seriously though villa are improving and moving up the league.....so much so that i even have sorenson as my dream team goalie :)
they are not a team that should be struggling down the bottom of the league , i just hope o`lordy doesnt wreck the club by overspending like he did at leeds.....any long term thoughts on him villa boyz?

Nugget
16-01-2004, 10:01
i just hope o`lordy doesnt wreck the club by overspending like he did at leeds.....any long term thoughts on him villa boyz?
When the rumours started that O'Leary was going to be the new manager, I wasn't happy simply because, while he did well at Leeds, he had a lot of money to play with (and look what's happening there now :eek: ).
To be honest though, he does seem to be turning things around (and I agree that Sorenson has been one of our better buys in recent years :) ).
If O'Leary can get the team 'bonding', that should help get us established in the top half of the table again - he's been shown to be a good motivator (unless you're Harry Kewell), so I think he'll do fine.

Atomic22
16-01-2004, 18:17
he may be a better long term manager if he isnt given any silly amounts of money to play with.
looking at the villa team i dont think it needs millions spending on it.....just a few replacements and increasing the size of the squad....
villa i believe have also put in a bid to be one of the football grounds for the british olympic bid

Atomic22
17-01-2004, 18:21
well after todays crappy performance and loss to wolves i shall be a villa supporter for sundays game against the gooners........
come on da viller

Atomic22
18-01-2004, 19:41
dang i gave villa the kiss of death by supporting them :(

Nugget
19-01-2004, 08:42
Unbelievable :eeek:

I know I'm a little bit biased :naughty: , but weren't they two of the stupidest goals ever? I know that the option to take a free kick quickly is there, but when the ref then makes Villa play to the whistle (and doesn't book the Arsenal players for standing right in front of the ball :mad: ), and gives Kanu a penalty for running into Mellberg, it does raise some questions :confused: .

And to think that I paid 6 quid to watch it on Sky :mad:

Atomic22
19-01-2004, 17:00
yup if i were a villa fan i would feel well ripped off by the ref........and they all reckon refs are man utd fans.......this one was a definate gooner

gazzae
19-01-2004, 17:05
When leeds did it against Arsenal David O'leary said it was a perfectly good goal and Arsene said it was ridiculous. :D

Nugget
20-01-2004, 10:44
When leeds did it against Arsenal David O'leary said it was a perfectly good goal and Arsene said it was ridiculous. :D
It's not the fact that it was a good / bad goal - it's the fact that the ref was so inconsistent (and then gave the dodgiest penalty ever :mad: ). Btw, I think you're right Atomic, Mark Halsey must be a gooner!

Nugget
23-01-2004, 09:47
5 - 2?

Bugger :eek:

Atomic22
23-01-2004, 19:11
oh dear it seems i did put the kiss of death on villa by rooting for them last sunday......

Nugget
28-01-2004, 09:01
2-0 :) . Well, I think that goes down as an honorable defeat - apologies to Bolton fans (let's face it - I've already annoyed all of the Man U fans), but I think the Villa played Bolton off the park last night, but just couldn't get the 3rd goal :mad: .

Oh well, best of luck to Bolton in the final, and now Villa can concentrate on the league :eek:

Julian
28-01-2004, 09:07
It was always gonna be tough coming back from 5-2 down in the first leg.

Still as you say, time to concentrate on the premiership. :)

Atomic22
28-01-2004, 18:31
yes concentrate on the league now...........may i still remind you that i have the excellent sorenson as my dream team goalie in our league at work and i need clean sheets......also with the euro championships coming soon some of the other players need to start shining in the run in to summer. ie vassel etc

blackthorn
28-01-2004, 21:07
As a matter of interest, United are not the buying club that a lot of people think they are. OK when they do buy, they buy big. Look who they havent bought but come through the ranks. G Neville, P Neville, P Scholes, Ryan giggs, David Beckham, Wes Brown to name a few. A lot of the players last sunday are young kids that will emerge in the first team one day. Except for gerrard and owen, most of liverpools team has been bought. At least we have a youth policy at OT.

Atomic22
29-01-2004, 18:20
most teams have a decent youth policy nowadays.....
ours is no better than anyone elses.....we just happened to have a great couple of years when we had the best youth team in england.....as for recently we havent produced anywhere near the number of youngsters who will hit the big time...wes brown will never be a great player because he cannot string more than 3 games together without spending 3 months on the treatment table......he is another "sicknote" like anderton was for spurs and gerrard is for liverpool

Nugget
30-01-2004, 11:06
:shocked:

We've actually bought someone!!!! Can somebody tell me exactly what position Solano plays in, as I really can't remember :dunce:

Hopefully, he's a central midfielder seeing as McCann has now got to sit through a 5 match ban :mad:

Nugget
02-02-2004, 11:40
5 - 0!!! :) :) :)

This proves my theory that, while we almost never win away from home, when we do we get an entire seasons worth of goals to go with it.

I thought Leicester were very unlucky though - it's fair to say that Ian Walker was totally unsettled by the idiot (sorry, I mean fan) coming onto the pitch - hopefully, no action will be taken against him (Walker that is).

Other than that, another good day for the Villa (see, I said we could concentrate on the league now! :D

Atomic22
03-02-2004, 18:46
good result for villa......solano was a good player in toonland and i was very surprised to see him leave there.....apparently it was him that asked for a transfer as well.

Nugget
04-02-2004, 11:03
Apparently Solano asked to leave the Toon because he wasn't guaranteed first team football. Then again, can we, seeing as our midfield has been fairly consistent all season. At least it gives us a bit of strength in depth, which we've definitely been missing (especially with McCanns 5 match ban).

:notopic: but well done to 'Boro last night - I've got a dilemma now for the Carling Cup Final. Do I support the team who beat Villa, or want them to lose? :confused: