PDA

View Full Version : Excitement gone in NTL service

Tod
09-01-2004, 09:56
When I first got cable with Cable Tel it used to be an exciting new service at the cutting edge of technology. We had a good FM feed, local information channel, most of the available channels and free internet access - at the time this was better than what anyone else offered. There also seemed to always be something to look forward to aswell as they communicated with the customer about future plans (like digital TV)

Now NTL is behind all other providers and it basically looks like the best we can ever expect from NTL is a service that is always going to be trying to "catching up" with other providers. The FM feed no longer contains anything you can't get from using your arial now music choice has gone. The EPG is a long running joke. The telephone system (in my area) does not have caller display and even freeview with it's vast limitations boasts a better interactive viewing experience than NTL.

What I find worse is they are so up their own arses they patronise their customers with rules stopping anyone communicating a sniff at what is going on and future plans. Bring back Cable Tel!!

Ramrod
09-01-2004, 10:00
I'm just happy to get internet and telly.....easily pleased I suppose. Wish the interactive button would work, only so that when it accidentally gets pressed we don't have to reboot the stb :(

Ben
09-01-2004, 10:17
only so that when it accidentally gets pressed we don't have to reboot the stb :(

How many times have I done that!! :mad: It's really annoying to say the least. Anytime I hit the interactive button by mistake I just get up walk to the kitchin and start watching the kettle boil and make myself a cuppa - walk back into the living room to find it still sitting there saying "loading" :rolleyes:

In the end I just reboot it too - so much easier then waiting half an hour :rolleyes:

orangebird
09-01-2004, 10:45
How many times have I done that!! :mad: It's really annoying to say the least. Anytime I hit the interactive button by mistake I just get up walk to the kitchin and start watching the kettle boil and make myself a cuppa - walk back into the living room to find it still sitting there saying "loading" :rolleyes:

In the end I just reboot it too - so much easier then waiting half an hour :rolleyes:

How do you 'accidently' hit the interactive button? :shrug:

GazzaB
09-01-2004, 12:16
I thought I was the only person that thought the same as Tod.
A few years ago NTL was pioneering genuinely free internet access, new talk plans and had "cable only" channels to distinguish it from the rest, it felt like you were actually part of something that was new and that ntl always wanted to be ahead of the game and developing new things. Now it just seems like they are folowing the crowd and trying to imitate BT and Sky's packages without trying to undercut or pioneer new services. What's happened?

downquark1
09-01-2004, 12:17
I agree, they've hit a dead end.

Ben
09-01-2004, 12:32
How do you 'accidently' hit the interactive button? :shrug:

Sitting on the remote is the main one. Slips down the side of the sofa and end up sitting on the thing. Othertimes I have just hit it by not looking at what I'm pressing.

orangebird
09-01-2004, 12:32
Oh dear. I find it a bit sad that there are people out there that find a jazzed up utility service 'exciting' ...:erm:

downquark1
09-01-2004, 12:39
Oh dear. I find it a bit sad that there are people outh there that find a jazzed up utility service 'exciting' ...:erm: It was exciting because they were constantly developing, improving etc. Seems like they've stopped while other companies are surpassing them.

orangebird
09-01-2004, 12:42
It was exciting because they were constantly developing, improving etc. Seems like they've stopped while other companies are surpassing them.

There's no money to improve and develop at the pace they used to. :shrug:

downquark1
09-01-2004, 12:47
There's no money to improve and develop at the pace they used to. :shrug:
That's the reason then :)

orangebird
09-01-2004, 12:55
That's the reason then :)

I still don't get what's so exciting about it all though.... :zzz:

downquark1
09-01-2004, 12:58
I still don't get what's so exciting about it all though.... :zzz: Just a tech geek thing :cool:
And as an NTL forum - it would give us something to talk about.

threadbare
09-01-2004, 13:11
there are plenty of juicy new products on the horizon according to pointman in the newsgroup trials thread

GazzaB
09-01-2004, 13:36
We shall see, if it's TIVO type stuff then they have already been beaten to that! The only thing I can see that has great potential at the moment is VOD (Video On Demand) and thats true VOD not Front Row!

threadbare
09-01-2004, 13:49
We shall see, if it's TIVO type stuff then they have already been beaten to that! The only thing I can see that has great potential at the moment is VOD (Video On Demand) and thats true VOD not Front Row!well front row isn't bad but they would need to get rid of some anologue channels to make space for that. but that would be rather kool

gary_580
09-01-2004, 14:39
id sooner have less facilities and more reliability. Like with most things someone comes up with a new idea, its added, it gets used a few times and then never used again, so why spend money on new stuff when u can spend it on getting it working properly first.

rodd
09-01-2004, 18:22
.......so why spend money on new stuff when u can spend it on getting it working properly first.Now, that's an exciting new idea, that would be novel for ntl!!

ntl customer
10-01-2004, 15:38
I'm sure there's loads more 'excitement' left within the current TV service. You just have to pay £5.99 or whatever it is per view for it ;)