PDA

View Full Version : Farmed Salmon

Ramrod
09-01-2004, 09:10
Cancer risk (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,174-956871,00.html)
Scientists say Scottish fish should be eaten only once in four months

PEOPLE who regularly eat farmed salmon may be raising their risk of developing cancer, scientists said yesterday

paulyoung666
09-01-2004, 09:24
well if that is the case why are they allowed to sell it then :confused:

Ramrod
09-01-2004, 09:52
well if that is the case why are they allowed to sell it then :confused:
They've only just acknowledged the problem let alone thought what to do about it.

paulyoung666
09-01-2004, 10:01
They've only just acknowledged the problem let alone thought what to do about it.

fair point , makes you wonder though , glad i dont like salmon

Xaccers
09-01-2004, 10:06
How many people in the general public have farmed salmon more than once a month let alone more than once a year?

aliferste
09-01-2004, 10:38
How many people in the general public have farmed salmon more than once a month let alone more than once a year?

I know lots !

Dave Stones
09-01-2004, 10:42
I know lots !

well you're scottish, you dont count :p

thats like asking someone from new zealand or wales if they farm sheep ;)

*hides under a towel*

anyway though, i couldnt give a damn about the cancer risk not liking salmon. whatever happened to the heavy metals worry about tuna and all the other bottom-feeding fish? are we still not allowed to eat too much of them ;)

i had to open a tin of tuna at work yesterday and it said "does not contain any dolphin parts"...:erm::erm:

Xaccers
09-01-2004, 10:48
i had to open a tin of tuna at work yesterday and it said "does not contain any dolphin parts"...:erm::erm:

I'd be worried too! Talking tuna!

orangebird
09-01-2004, 10:48

I do..... :erm:

Ramrod
09-01-2004, 10:50
I know lots !
Yup, it's meant to be good for you. We eat it once a week, the organic non farmed kind.(At least I hope it is)

Dave Stones
09-01-2004, 10:52
Yup, it's meant to be good for you. We eat it once a week, the organic non farmed kind.(At least I hope it is)

pfft everyone knows the global conspiracy behind organic food, it comes from the same place but is just put in a different wrapper to con you folks into paying more for the same stuff ;)

homealone
09-01-2004, 10:59

Interesting distinction - wild caught Salmon can't be certified 'organic', because it can't be proved to have fulfilled the necessary criteria to qualify.

Organic Salmon is farmed, but has to fulfil the criteria to achieve the certification.

http://www.aquascot.uk.com/organic.htm

Salu
09-01-2004, 11:34
You have to look behind these statements to glean the truth.

Bascially the Americans have trashed several countries farmed Salmon in this way. Not just Scottish, although Scottish and Faroe Islands had the greatest dioxin content. Hence the draconicon recommendation. All wild salmon is OK though.

A single meal - eight ounces uncooked - of farmed salmon from supermarkets in Frankfurt, Edinburgh, Paris, London and Oslo should only be eaten every one or two months, they said.

For salmon farmed in Scotland and the Faroe Islands, they recommended an even smaller monthly limit - just a quarter of a serving, or two ounces.

Why have they done this though. Are they trying to promote their own Pacific salmon? Probably?

The other bizarre thing is that even though the Americans have recommended this, the levels are still well below the danger level that has been set worldwide. Which the Americans also recognise.

"It actually says that individual contaminant concentrations in farmed or wild salmon do not exceed US Food and Drug Administration action or tolerance levels."

Levels of PCBs and dioxins are significantly below thresholds set by the EU and Food Standards Agency, insists the body.

There must be some political/business motive here? I think this is an attempt to be anti-fish farming...

We also shouldn't overlook the health benefits of eating salmon, which it has been argued outweigh the potential carcinogenic risks. Salmon is rich in Omega 3 fatty acids which has been shown to reduce your risk of heart disease by upto 30% if you consume a certain level twice a week. I can't remember this amount off the top of my head. (I used to be a cardiac technician)

Scottish Quality Salmon - which represents 65% of production in the country - accused the researchers of being "deliberately misleading" in their interpretation of EPA risk assessment guidelines.

A spokesman said: "In advising how much salmon should be eaten the study ignores all of the health benefits of regular farmed salmon consumption as reported in over 5,000 scientific studies.

http://212.58.226.30/1/hi/health/3380735.stm

etccarmageddon
09-01-2004, 11:34
the dolphin comment was because tuna harvesting in the past used nets which trap dolphins. then they got their act together.

by the way... I eat salmon 2-3 times a week.

Ramrod
09-01-2004, 11:37
I think this is an attempt to be anti-fish farming...

About time. The fish farming industry is terrible. I wouldn't want to eat the fish they produce.
The Great Food Gamble (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0340770457/qid=1073648266/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_10_2/202-1360507-3020668) is a good book to read if you are interested in the process behind our foods production.

Salu
09-01-2004, 11:41
About time. The fish farming industry is terrible. I wouldn't want to eat the fish they produce.
The Great Food Gamble (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0340770457/qid=1073648266/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_10_2/202-1360507-3020668) is a good book to read if you are interested in the process behind our foods production.

It certainly needs to be better regulated. I've nothing against them in principal but if we have the highest level tested of dioxins then something needs to be done quick. As others have lower amounts, it must be possible.

Better filtration etc..

Ramrod
09-01-2004, 11:45
It certainly needs to be better regulated. I've nothing against them in principal but if we have the highest level tested of dioxins then something needs to be done quick. As others have lower amounts, it must be possible.

Better filtration etc..
There should be none. They shouldn't feed fish to fish. That concentrates the amounts. Pillocks!

Stuartbe
09-01-2004, 11:47
Cancer risk (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,174-956871,00.html)
Scientists say Scottish fish should be eaten only once in four months

If you were to follow all the advice that the do-gooders spew then you would have to wrap yourself in cottonwool, stop breating, dont ever leave the house in case a plane crashes on you, dont eat anything that you have not pulled out the ground yourself and never never talk to women.

Doesn't sound like a very happy existance to me :(

Dont you think that all this "risk risk risk" scaremongering has gone to far ?

Salu
09-01-2004, 11:54
There should be none. They shouldn't feed fish to fish. That concentrates the amounts. Pillocks!

Why not. Fish eat fish naturally. Surely the issue here is the dioxin levels in the fish that is being used as meal?

homealone
09-01-2004, 11:57

Sorry Ramrod, check the link in my reply (post #12) to your post #10.:erm:

Dave Stones
09-01-2004, 11:58
<snip snip snip>

Don't you think that all this "risk risk risk" scaremongering has gone to far ?

i do. it does my nut in. i think one of the last straws is prescott telling us how hot we can have our bath water... :rolleyes:

Ramrod
09-01-2004, 12:13
Sorry Ramrod, check the link in my reply (post #12) to your post #10.:erm:The diet: no artificial pigment, fishmeal from sustainable sources, all other components (e.g. wheat and soya) to be organic.
The site: must demonstrate best practice in terms of siting, predator control and strong tidal flows giving good dispersal.
The fish: must have been grown as smolts on an organic system, must be stocked at low, specified densities and must have minimal veterinary treatments, if at all. I'm all right with this :)

Ramrod
09-01-2004, 12:14
Why not. Fish eat fish naturally. Surely the issue here is the dioxin levels in the fish that is being used as meal?Oh absolutely but do salmon eat other fish?

homealone
09-01-2004, 12:23
I'm all right with this :)

yeah, me too, it's a shame all fish farming isn't done like that, unfortunately the supermarkets keep wanting to drive the price down, forcing the 'normal' Salmon farms to overstock & use cheaper feed.:(

Salu
09-01-2004, 12:29
Oh absolutely but do salmon eat other fish?

What do you think they eat? Burgers? :D :p

http://biology.usgs.gov/wfrc/salmoq&a.htm

Ramrod
09-01-2004, 12:29
If you were to follow all the advice that the do-gooders spew then you would have to wrap yourself in cottonwool, stop breating, dont ever leave the house in case a plane crashes on you, dont eat anything that you have not pulled out the ground yourself and never never talk to women.

Doesn't sound like a very happy existance to me :(

Dont you think that all this "risk risk risk" scaremongering has gone to far ?
Broadly speaking I agree with you but not in this case. The effects of consuming these toxins are well documented and understood....and scary.

Ramrod
09-01-2004, 12:32

As long as they are organic burgers I don't mind :D

Salu
09-01-2004, 12:33
As long as they are organic burgers I don't mind :D

Good reply.. :LOL:

Xaccers
09-01-2004, 12:35

McSalmon? :D
sorry, wrong thread... :P

Theodoric
09-01-2004, 17:00
pfft everyone knows the global conspiracy behind organic food, it comes from the same place but is just put in a different wrapper to con you folks into paying more for the same stuff ;)
How can you say that! Anybody who believes in keeping healthy and in tune with the harmonic vibrations of the universe knows that organic food is good for you because it does not contain any chemicals!

Ramrod
09-01-2004, 17:19
How can you say that! Anybody who believes in keeping healthy and in tune with the harmonic vibrations of the universe knows that organic food is good for you because it does not contain any chemicals!He's joking! :D

Flubflow
09-01-2004, 17:53
There was something on TV yonks ago about the state of fish farming. Filthy conditions. So much feed is chucked in that much of it settles on the bottom along with all the fish poo. Then you have all the amonia in cramped conditions expelled from the fish's gills. All this raises nitrate levels. You can't easily filter out nitrates unless you let lots of aquatic vegitation grow. When it gets so bad that even the natural flow of water through estuary farmed salmon is not enough to keep it clean then alarm bells should have started to ring pretty loud a long time ago.

Theodoric
09-01-2004, 19:32
He's joking! :D
So was I. :D

Paul
09-01-2004, 23:13
TBH I am long past caring what is in what I eat - someone somewhere will tell me it's bad for me. I eat what I like & enjoy - end of story.

I could be the healthyist eater in the world and still die from an accident tomorrow.

luftys
09-01-2004, 23:44
Someone told me fish is brain food,I keep eating it :D but its not working :disturbd:

Xaccers
09-01-2004, 23:51
Someone told me fish is brain food,I keep eating it :D but its not working :disturbd:

If fish is brainfood, then why are fish so stupid?

danielf
09-01-2004, 23:59

Never underestimate the intelligence of fish eaters: http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6167&page=2&pp=15 ;)

Salu
10-01-2004, 00:21
Never underestimate the intelligence of fish eaters: http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6167&page=2&pp=15 ;)

Originally Posted by Xaccers

Because they have eaten their brains? :rofl:

Theodoric
10-01-2004, 14:33
That one dates back to at least WWII. I can't remember the reasoning behind it.

Xaccers
10-01-2004, 14:44
That one dates back to at least WWII. I can't remember the reasoning behind it.

sure you don't mean carrots?
mosquito aeroplanes had radar for night attacks, and to cover this up, they said the pilots ate carrots to help them see in the dark, hence the high success of night attacks

Ramrod
17-01-2004, 17:56
We went to the 'Vive la France' exibition at Olympia today. The Michelin 2 star chef John Burton-Race (from the tv programe 'French Leave') was there and he was saying that when he was advising BA on ingredients he was flown to Scotland to inspect salmon farms. He said that what he saw put him off farmed salmon for life. They had colour charts so that you could choose what colour your salmon meat would end up (depending on the additives fed to the fish)!

Theodoric
17-01-2004, 18:39
sure you don't mean carrots?
mosquito aeroplanes had radar for night attacks, and to cover this up, they said the pilots ate carrots to help them see in the dark, hence the high success of night attacks
No, there was both the fish one and the carrot one. Somewhere in the back of my mind the word 'phosphorus' bobs about.