PDA

View Full Version : british fish n chips not so british ?

kronas
09-01-2004, 02:25
professor panikos panayi has been investigating the origin of the humble fish and chips, and has come up with findings, that the dish was originally a mixture of a french and jewish dish.

"The origins of the dish are complex, but it probably came about as a result of combining French frites with Jewish fish dishes."

He added: "It certainly isn't the traditional British food people might think and of course the meal is often enjoyed with a cup of tea, the best example of the influence of the Empire on English eating and drinking habits."

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-12969346,00.html

wont make much diffarence, a nice portion of chips and some fish now and again, never hurt anyone. :drool:

Nor
09-01-2004, 02:42
To think we are paying these folks salary. They should get their finger out their arse and do something more useful with tax payers money.

All the latest talk about how its so outrageous asking students to pay their tuition fees. Well this is partly how its spent, with ******s wasting their time and our money doing this crap. Even if it wasn't public money surely you can put your time to better use and do something which helps people, feck me.

Theodoric
09-01-2004, 18:35
To think we are paying these folks salary. They should get their finger out their arse and do something more useful with tax payers money.

All the latest talk about how its so outrageous asking students to pay their tuition fees. Well this is partly how its spent, with ******s wasting their time and our money doing this crap. Even if it wasn't public money surely you can put your time to better use and do something which helps people, feck me.
If you check out the prof (http://www.dmu.ac.uk/faculties/humanities/his/staff/ppanayai.jsp) you'll find that he's written a fair number of serious books and articles.

Re the fish and chips, the Sky article says that "he made the claim after beginning a £6,000 research project to investigate the global influence on British palates." Now, in my experience, £6000 isn't going to cover much of anybody's time at a university, so it's obviously only a minor piece of work, lasting probably only a few months. The subject matter is not just "fish and chips", it's "the global influence on British palates"; Sky have obviously just pulled out the fish and chips part as an amusing subject. The subject matter is the sort of thing that historians study and actually sounds quite interesting.

EDIT Unless this £6000 is going to fund a post-grad student, in which case he may make it last a year if he lives on fish and chips. :) Anyone out there au fair with current magnificent sums of money that post-grads get?

Xaccers
09-01-2004, 18:40
If he had just watched Eddie Izzard's Mongrel Nation, he would have known the origin of fish and chips and could have saved some money while having a laugh at the same time :)

paulyoung666
09-01-2004, 19:11
If he had just watched Eddie Izzard's Mongrel Nation, he would have known the origin of fish and chips and could have saved some money while having a laugh at the same time :)

i didnt see that , what was the origin ?????????? , mind you it dont matter to me , i will still enjoy them :drool:

Flubflow
09-01-2004, 19:42
I remember the days when you `ad nowt you `ad fish'n'chips and when you were `avin a rare treat you `ad ..... fish'n'chips. :)
If anyone wants to give me £6000 to study this further then I'd be greatful. :)

Chimaera
09-01-2004, 19:52
Mmmmmmmm - well that's solved what to have for tea tonight! :drool:

Theodoric
09-01-2004, 20:22
I remember the days when you `ad nowt you `ad fish'n'chips and when you were `avin a rare treat you `ad ..... fish'n'chips. :)
If anyone wants to give me £6000 to study this further then I'd be greatful. :)
I remember the days when fish and chips were wrapped in genuine old newspapers. (OK, the chips were actually in a paper bag that was wrapped in newspaper).

Atomic22
09-01-2004, 20:23
i always thought the potato was brought to europe by sir walter raleigh......
i presume that they had discovered a few ways how to eat them before they got them home on the boat and chips was one of them.........anyone comparing a chip to a french fry needs slapping....so thats the french out of the equation.
our most popular meal in the uk is officially now an indian meal.....chicken tikka prolly.
and chip shops cannot survive in england unless they sell kebabs , and donners outsell fish and chips easily.
for the price they charge for a fish in our local chippy (£3.60) you would think the owner is catching them himself

paulyoung666
09-01-2004, 20:24
I remember the days when fish and chips were wrapped in genuine old newspapers. (OK, the chips were actually in a paper bag that was wrapped in newspaper).

cant do it now unless you you get poisoned off the newsprint :rolleyes:

Theodoric
09-01-2004, 20:28
i always thought the potato was brought to europe by sir walter raleigh......
i presume that they had discovered a few ways how to eat them before they got them home on the boat and chips was one of them.........anyone comparing a chip to a french fry needs slapping....so thats the french out of the equation.
our most popular meal in the uk is officially now an indian meal.....chicken tikka prolly.
and chip shops cannot survive in england unless they sell kebabs , and donners outsell fish and chips easily.
for the price they charge for a fish in our local chippy (£3.60) you would think the owner is catching them himself
As I understand it from my study of Blackadder, the original potato was smoked.
And, taking the opportunity to widen the scope of this thread, has anyone had the Belgian speciality of chips with mayonnaise (and, for the connoisseur, mussels)?

iadom
09-01-2004, 20:29
We used ask for six-o-chips. In the same way that 45rpm vinyl discs where £0.6s.8 d for years, a bag of chips was sixpence, in old money less than 3p today.:(

Xaccers
09-01-2004, 20:29
i didnt see that , what was the origin ?????????? , mind you it dont matter to me , i will still enjoy them :drool:

Chips from france, fish from jews.
Shampoo and personal hygene from india.
Bank of england from a dutch idea.
Fashion, better clothes, Marks & Spencer from immigrants and refugees.
Many asians coming from african commonwealth countries when the countries became "africanised" and kicked out non-africans.
Many jamaicans coming in to help out with the work force at our invitation

BTW French fries were actually created in Belgium, and the potato took over from the turnip as favourite veg

danielf
09-01-2004, 20:34
As I understand it from my study of Blackadder, the original potato was smoked.
And, taking the opportunity to widen the scope of this thread, has anyone had the Belgian speciality of chips with mayonnaise (and, for the connoisseur, mussels)?

Yummie! (they're eaten like that in Holland as well)

I seem to recall from my history lesson that when the potato was first brought over, people ate the plant rather than the potato. It took them a while to figure out that the potato was the good bit...

Edit: I just noticed that our newest member is couchpotato. Coincidence?? ;)

kronas
09-01-2004, 20:35

we still have one around here, business is booming. :D