PDA

View Full Version : Are We Alone ??

Marge
08-01-2004, 22:43
Just watching Independence Day here (very sad I know, btw thanks Stu :tu: ) and got to wondering whether there is other life in the universe?? Could there be alien life amongst us already, walking through Manchester city centre on a saturday afternoon tends to support that theory :erm:

From a personal point of view I think there must be life somewhere else, I can't imagine that in my lifetime that proof will be found but I think at some point it will happen.

Xaccers
08-01-2004, 22:45
I think that the probablility of life on other planets in the universe is extremely high.

Whether we actually meet them is another matter

Pritch
08-01-2004, 22:47
To quote Bob Monkhouse:

"Personally, I don't think there's intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?"

No, but seriously, in something as big as the universe, I'd think it incredibly unlikely if we were the only ones here.

Stuart
08-01-2004, 22:48
I don't know whether we are alone (I don't think we are). But, after the day I have had today, I wonder if we will find intelligent life on *this* planet...

Marge
08-01-2004, 22:49
Has really got me interested now, off to see my friend Google

DrAwesome
08-01-2004, 22:51
Could there be alien life amongst us already, walking through Manchester city centre on a saturday afternoon tends to support that theory :erm:

Yes theyre called women :)

Graham
08-01-2004, 22:52
Just watching Independence Day here (very sad I know, btw thanks Stu :tu: )

You should have done what I did, watched Independance Day and Mars Attacks back to back!! MA was *even more* hilarious because of it.

and got to wondering whether there is other life in the universe??

Or, indeed, is there intelligent life on Earth?! (Yes, but I'm only visiting!) <Boom boom!>

From a personal point of view I think there must be life somewhere else, I can't imagine that in my lifetime that proof will be found but I think at some point it will happen.

Even if the odds are billions to one against there being any other life any where else in the universe, remember that there are estimated to be 400 billion (US) in our galaxy alone and http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s910295.htm suggests that there may be at least 70 *sextillion* or 70 thousand million million million stars in the visible universe, so the odds are that there's other life *somewhere* out there.

Has it been here? I doubt it. Will we find proof of it soon? Well, maybe if the missions to Mars and Europa are successful we might. Will we find intelligent life, frankly I'd like to hope so, but I'm not holding my breath.

Xaccers
08-01-2004, 22:52

:rofl:

Marge
08-01-2004, 22:57

:eek: :eek: :eek: Dr A, really :rolleyes:

Don't tell everyone :erm:

Graham
08-01-2004, 23:01
Not forgetting....

http://www.lyricsdepot.com/monty-python/galaxy-song.html

Marge
08-01-2004, 23:04
Just signing myself us for This (http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/learnmore.html) watch out ET :spin:

dilli-theclaw
08-01-2004, 23:05
I used to think there was alien life every time i spoke to ntl tech support and customer services :)

Anyway - yes i DO think there are aliens.

I also don't think we will get proof any time soon.

Jon M
08-01-2004, 23:11
Just to be different ;)

I'd have to say that I don't think there is any life in our universe apart from on earth. My stance is based on my understanding of the bible. And as a christian I'd be inconsistent if I didn't believe it.

Oh and ... beagle2 hahahaha.. gutted!! :D

luftys
08-01-2004, 23:24
Just to be different ;)

I'd have to say that I don't think there is any life in our universe apart from on earth. My stance is based on my understanding of the bible. And as a christian I'd be inconsistent if I didn't believe it.

I think there is live out they :D

Exodus12:49
The same law applies to the native-born and to the alien living among you."

Jon M
08-01-2004, 23:42
context is so useful yet so easily ignored eh ;)

alien in that sense is another word for stranger or foreigner

luftys
08-01-2004, 23:57

But who is to say they are not aliens

I have been a christian for over 32years :eek: and still think there life out the
they

Not life as we know it Jim

DrAwesome
09-01-2004, 00:04

extraterrestrial also could be refered to as a stranger, or a foreigner.

Xaccers
09-01-2004, 00:07
It would be interesting to see how the bible becomes re-interpreted to take into acount life from other planets.

philip.j.fry
09-01-2004, 00:32

That's just mean :P

Russ
09-01-2004, 01:10
It would be interesting to see how the bible becomes re-interpreted to take into acount life from other planets.

I don't think it would be re-interpreted at all. Just because aliens aren't mentioned doesn't mean they're not considered real. In Revelations it said Jesus will return to rule over worlds. I think life on other planets was not mentioned in the Bible simply because I don't think we need to know about it - it doesn't (or shouldn't) really concern us.

My opinion? Yes, there probably IS other life out there.

Xaccers
09-01-2004, 01:27
I don't think it would be re-interpreted at all. Just because aliens aren't mentioned doesn't mean they're not considered real. In Revelations it said Jesus will return to rule over worlds. I think life on other planets was not mentioned in the Bible simply because I don't think we need to know about it - it doesn't (or shouldn't) really concern us.

My opinion? Yes, there probably IS other life out there.

It would have been pretty good evidence for the truth of the book if Matthew had said "And lo, there shall be visiters from afar, and they will be called Zogs" and then have the Zogs arrive :)

kronas
09-01-2004, 01:32
is there life elsewhere ?

yes i believe so............

is it anywhere near us ?

nope

where ?

i believe there maybe something in distant galaxies, i dont think it will be in our lifetime that we will see 'them' but something is out there but will we ever see it ? or they want to see us if they know about us, highly doubtful...........

Jerrek
09-01-2004, 01:39
Nope, we're not alone. I do believe in angels. However, I'm unsure about intelligent life on other planets.

ic14
09-01-2004, 13:56
Nope, we're not alone. I do believe in angels. However, I'm unsure about intelligent life on other planets.

:rofl:

Anyway yeah i belive in live from other planets.
Not that near here though but maybe somewhere else in our galexy, or further...

Flubflow
09-01-2004, 14:05
Using the infamous formula N=R*Fp*Ne*Fe*Fi*Fc*L

There are as few as 10 and as many as 50,000,000 intelligent alien civilizations in the universe (depending on who you get your variables from).

Thread closed :D :D :D

Iago
09-01-2004, 15:52
I agree that life is on other planets far away, it is impossible that in a universe as big as it is that another planet cannot survive. I dont think they are intelllgent though the chances of them following the same human patten is almost impossible

Ramrod
09-01-2004, 15:59
Then of course we could turn our gaze to rods (http://www.roswellrods.com/) :D

trebor
09-01-2004, 16:05
lets face it if the human race can survive and prosper anything is possible.
so yes there has to be life out there somewhere.

basa
09-01-2004, 16:16
I agree...there has to other forms of life out there. The odds against are immense.

However, if such alternative life exists it is by no means sure we would even recognise it. If it is advanced enough to firstly locate us and then travel the huge distance to get here then surely they would have the technology to not be detected. If they haven't evolved enough to travel here then we will never know.

We could of course beam Avril Lavigne music into space, that at least might elicit a response, although it may be a hostile one !!! :p :p

Theodoric
09-01-2004, 16:27
If they're out there, then you need to explain away Fermi's paradox which runs along the lines of something like, "Why aren't they here by now?"

Our galaxy is about 100,000 light years in diameter. If you imagine an advanced civilisation capable of building star ships that could travel at 1% of the speed of light, then hopping from star system to star system it would only take them about 10 million years to colonise the galaxy.

The universe is about 15 billion years old and the solar system is 4.5 billion years old, so there's been plenty of time for such civilisations to have developed and reached us. Why is there no trace of them?

trebor
09-01-2004, 16:31
I agree...there has to other forms of life out there. The odds against are immense.

However, if such alternative life exists it is by no means sure we would even recognise it. If it is advanced enough to firstly locate us and then travel the huge distance to get here then surely they would have the technology to not be detected. If they haven't evolved enough to travel here then we will never know.

We could of course beam Avril Lavigne music into space, that at least might elicit a response, although it may be a hostile one !!! :p :p

any life that could not be recognised as life would not be of much interest to either party. and we also wouldn't know we had not seen it :confused:

can we just beam Avril Lavigne into space :D

kronas
09-01-2004, 17:21
can we just beam Avril Lavigne into space :D

OI!!!

you can beam her to me ill have her
:naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :romance:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

nope they will listen to a voice of an angel, that rocks there socks off :p

Flubflow
09-01-2004, 17:34
If they're out there, then you need to explain away Fermi's paradox which runs along the lines of something like, "Why aren't they here by now?"

Our galaxy is about 100,000 light years in diameter. If you imagine an advanced civilisation capable of building star ships that could travel at 1% of the speed of light, then hopping from star system to star system it would only take them about 10 million years to colonise the galaxy.

The universe is about 15 billion years old and the solar system is 4.5 billion years old, so there's been plenty of time for such civilisations to have developed and reached us. Why is there no trace of them?

Don't you watch Star Trek? We haven't acheived warp drive yet so they are merely sticking to a policy of non-interference with primitive cultures. :)

Maybe they've seen our TV broadcasts. On that basis alone I wouldn't blame them for wanting to give us a wide birth :)

Xaccers
09-01-2004, 17:37

Well that assumes they are exploring for the sake of exploration.
I don't think human's will even do that.

Theodoric
09-01-2004, 17:41
Well that assumes they are exploring for the sake of exploration.
I don't think human's will even do that.
I didn't really make myself clear enough. What I'm assuming is that at each solar system they find a suitable planet and build an industrial society as quickly as possible; it should only take a few hundred years. This society then sends out its own star ships. I don't think that it would increase the time scale for an alien-filled galaxy by much.

trebor
09-01-2004, 18:59
I didn't really make myself clear enough. What I'm assuming is that at each solar system they find a suitable planet and build an industrial society as quickly as possible; it should only take a few hundred years. This society then sends out its own star ships. I don't think that it would increase the time scale for an alien-filled galaxy by much.

how do you know when they started? it could have been yesterday.
and time is a man made concept not a universal linear constant. if you had been taught there were 48 hours in a day, would the universe be twice as old.
:confused:

Theodoric
09-01-2004, 19:14
how do you know when they started? it could have been yesterday.
and time is a man made concept not a universal linear constant. if you had been taught there were 48 hours in a day, would the universe be twice as old.
:confused:
We don't know if it was yesterday. It's just that if it hasn't happened in 15 billion years, it does cast doubt on whether there's anyone out there.

Theodoric
09-01-2004, 19:17
Don't you watch Star Trek? We haven't acheived warp drive yet so they are merely sticking to a policy of non-interference with primitive cultures. :)

Maybe they've seen our TV broadcasts. On that basis alone I wouldn't blame them for wanting to give us a wide birth :)
Gasp! Shock! Horror! You're not casting nasturtiums on the blessÃÃâ€*’¨d Avril, are you. :)

trebor
09-01-2004, 19:21
We don't know if it was yesterday. It's just that if it hasn't happened in 15 billion years, it does cast doubt on whether there's anyone out there.

there you go again, how do you know everybody thinks 15 billion years is the same length of time?
we use our linear scale to measure the passage of time, I doubt any alien race will be using the same scale, looking at their timex and thinking damn we should have got to earth by now.

Theodoric
09-01-2004, 19:24
there you go again, how do you know everybody thinks 15 billion years is the same length of time?
we use our linear scale to measure the passage of time, I doubt any alien race will be using the same scale, looking at their timex and thinking damn we should have got to earth by now.
Well, yes, granted. But by that argument some aliens time should be that fast that they've been, gone and come back again. :)

ic14
09-01-2004, 19:36
Then of course we could turn our gaze to rods (http://www.roswellrods.com/) :D
Saw a program on SKY1 about them.... freaky!!! :eek:

trebor
09-01-2004, 19:38
Well, yes, granted. But by that argument some aliens time should be that fast that they've been, gone and come back again. :)

I wish people would forget about time, it's a man made idea. what does the universe know or care about time?

it's all theory but yes they may have come, gone and come back again
what if traveling through the universe you do come back to the point where you started from, that would give us a circular concept of time and not a linear one.

Russ
09-01-2004, 20:23
Saw a program on SKY1 about them.... freaky!!! :eek:

Rods are the biggest pile of poo I've EVER seen!! :D

Theodoric
09-01-2004, 20:44
Well I started looking at the rods site given in the link and I've got to say it's got that sandwich short of a picnic look about it. I stopped when this American voice started appearing on top of the music that I was listening to.

Graham
09-01-2004, 21:06
Using the infamous formula N=R*Fp*Ne*Fe*Fi*Fc*L

It's called the Drake Equation IIRC named after the scientist who proposed it.

Xaccers
09-01-2004, 21:12

Yeah, it's obvious they're out of focus insects flying past.
Ok I know they tried to disprove this in that program by showing you a bee, but the bee was in focus!

Flubflow
09-01-2004, 21:20
I wish people would forget about time, it's a man made idea. what does the universe know or care about time?

it's all theory but yes they may have come, gone and come back again
what if traveling through the universe you do come back to the point where you started from, that would give us a circular concept of time and not a linear one.

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so"
- Ford Prefect of Betelgeuse. Journalist for the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

homealone
09-01-2004, 21:32
Interesting thread.:) The question of 'how long' have we been here is not so interesting as 'how many times have we been here?' - no, not re-incarnation, recycling - what I mean is, the matter which makes up our solar system, probably itself came from another star or stars, which may itself have come from other stars, etc.

So if the concept of 'how long' the universe has existed is so vast, that if there was sufficient time for the stars themseves to have been 're-born' several times, who can say what alien life may also have arisen only to die off. - even on the Earth it has been speculated that there may have been more 'extinction events' than the last two big ones we know about.

I'm not going to extend that theory, as some have, to suggest that previous intelligent civilisations previously existed on Earth - I just feel that if life, in general, has evolved & been so resilient on Earth, it must also exist in some form, elsewhere in the Universe.

glentoran
09-01-2004, 21:37
there are aliend and we are them, we ar destrying this planet so in a few hundred years from now we will need a new one so who is to say we didn't do that before and there are planets around the universe with humans on them?

Bill Payer
09-01-2004, 21:55
Interesting thread.:) The question of 'how long' have we been here is not so interesting as 'how many times have we been here?'

That explaind the feeling of Deja Vu.

Maybe we are the result of such an exploration.
(OK.It took more than a few hundred years,but we did start with the Hairdressers & Telephone Sanitizers).

Russ
09-01-2004, 22:08
...and those pesky AUP investigators :D

timewarrior2001
09-01-2004, 22:11
Its unlikely that we are alone, perhaps these Aliens just cant be arsed with us.

Xaccers
09-01-2004, 22:13
Its unlikely that we are alone, perhaps these Aliens just cant be arsed with us.

Well would you live here if you had the choice?

homealone
09-01-2004, 22:19
sorry, can't resist

[monty python]

we are the blancmanges from the galaxy of andromeda ......... - and we mean to win Wimbledon!

[/monty python]

;)

downquark1
09-01-2004, 22:39
I have a sound file of that monty python 'our universe' song. Is there any copyright implications of me posting it?

Russ
09-01-2004, 22:50
I have a sound file of that monty python 'our universe' song. Is there any copyright implications of me posting it?

Probably but at 10:50pm do you think many people care??? :D

ian@huth
09-01-2004, 23:28
Many years ago I saw a theory that said that there were billions of intelligent beings living inside of us.

The theory was that as we could see the sun with the planets revolving around it and billions of other stars in the distance, so could the inhabitants within our bodies. Each atom that we were made of was like our solar system with these miniscule inhabitants living on the electrons(planets) which orbited the nucleus(sun) of the atom.

Xaccers
09-01-2004, 23:32
Many years ago I saw a theory that said that there were billions of intelligent beings living inside of us.

The theory was that as we could see the sun with the planets revolving around it and billions of other stars in the distance, so could the inhabitants within our bodies. Each atom that we were made of was like our solar system with these miniscule inhabitants living on the electrons(planets) which orbited the nucleus(sun) of the atom.

drugs are bad, m'kay? so don't do drugs. cos drugs are bad.

downquark1
09-01-2004, 23:53
Probably but at 10:50pm do you think many people care??? :D
Don't have to now - I found a link :D
http://www.mwscomp.com/sounds/mp3/galaxy.mp3

Xaccers
09-01-2004, 23:56
Don't have to now - I found a link :D
http://www.mwscomp.com/sounds/mp3/galaxy.mp3

Yay! :)

But I didn't have the salmon

Bill Payer
10-01-2004, 00:31

Now that's a theory I can go along with,having had a similar thought myself.

drugs are bad, m'kay? so don't do drugs. cos drugs are bad.

:erm: Yes,there was some use involved.But it also proved that each of us is (part of) God.

downquark1
10-01-2004, 10:24

This is more one of the philiosphy theories, in practice electrons behave very differently to planets. For one thing everytime you ran an electric current through something millions of planets would suddenly fly off. Your television set would be massacring billions of planets per second. So I'd hope this theory wasn't true.

I'm such a spoil sport aren't I :devsmoke:

Theodoric
10-01-2004, 14:06

Yes, it has been suggested, but it's totally out of date (since at least the 1920s). Electrons do not orbit their nuclei in a similar fashion to planets orbiting the sun (as the original Bohr theory postulated); they simply have higher or lower probabilities of being at any particular point; they can be considered as a cloud surrounding the nucleus.

ian@huth
10-01-2004, 15:00
Who is to say that our present concepts are correct? If an alien had landed on Earth a few hundred years ago he would have found us saying that the Earth was flat. We can only judge things with our present knowledge and may be considered as being unintelligent by any alien that may come along these days.

Russ
10-01-2004, 15:05
Why would any civilisation want to land here? What do YOU think would happen? The yanks would push to the front of everyone else with a fake handshake check to see if they've got any weapons a) that the yanks could use or b) that the aliens could use against them, if a) then the yanks would be best mates with them to get as many weapons as possible until they decided that the rulers on the other planet were 'oppressive' and would send in the troops. If b) then the yanks would say hello, try and strike up a deal and when that had failed, try to rally international support for a campaign to boot the aliens off the planet.

NURSE! My medication...... :spin:

ntluser
10-01-2004, 15:41
Like others on the forum I believe that, given the size of the universe and the billions of star systems and planets, it's highly unlikely that we are alone.

Having said that it does not mean that life on other planets will be humanoid or indeed carbon-based.

In such a universe, we would only discover other lifeforms if they were either at least as technically advanced as us and therefore capable of initiating long distance investigations of the universe or so advanced that they were able to journey to other planets.

Another factor is that such civilisations would have to exist in the same time frame and be able to contact each other.

I always find it interesting that no alien satellites have gone into orbit around Earth as someone else tries to investigate us. Perhaps they did but in the past when we were not able to communicate at such a sophisticated technical level.

I would like to see a series of communication satellites sent out like links on a chain across the universe sending signals of their discoveries link by link back to Earth, with each link acting as a relay station as well as sending messages from Earth to nearby planets.The hope would be that some advanced civilisation would receive our transmissions and establish contact. In that way ET could literally 'phone home'.

basa
12-01-2004, 13:01

Who is to say they are not here right now, they may be unrecognizable or undetectable, or we regard them as part and parcel of the earths natural flora and fauna (my neighbour is a bit strange for a start !!)

They may have been here millennia ago (before human life - *cough* Erich Von Daniken ?) and left or decided there was nothing much to get excited about - and left. They may view us in much the same way as we view insects.

IMO we cannot think far enough 'outside the box' to imagine what form alien life might exhibit.

Maybe what some people regard as God is manifestation of influences by alien intelligence.