PDA

View Full Version : Which software firewall do you use?

Jon M
08-01-2004, 21:34
A good one to start us off.

I've been experimenting with a few different firewalls recently.
After being a zonealarm convert for a long time I thought I'd try a few others.. kerio personal firewall, outpost, tiny personal firewall.. the list goes on

What to you guys use and why?

Sociable
08-01-2004, 21:35
Playing with a trial one from McAfee right now will post back again once I have had a chance to play a little :)

swoop101
08-01-2004, 21:36
Zone alarm free - cos it is free

plus I am using a router so it only catches out going, so I don't want to pay. :D

Marge
08-01-2004, 21:40

ditto :tu:

Julian
08-01-2004, 21:41
I'm using Sygate Personal Firewall free version. :)

Xaccers
08-01-2004, 21:43
I don't.
Used to use zone alarm with my old router, but it was such a pain and annoyance I got rid of it.
Now I stick with just hardware

Scarlett
08-01-2004, 22:23

I am using Zone alarm but I just bought EZantivirus+firewall from CA. I had there free one some time back and it was very good.

philip.j.fry
08-01-2004, 22:33
IPTables, also free :)

Pritch
08-01-2004, 22:37
IPTables, also free :)

Another vote for IPTables, with a hardware router.

Do we have a penguin smiley?

hoggyspuds
08-01-2004, 22:50
Using norton here........coming close to the renewal date.....was going to pay for another year, but any free ones are worth a look. Watching this thread for comments on others...........

Paul
08-01-2004, 23:35
All these people using ZA - no wonder you have so many problems ;)

FYI Kerio Personal Firewall and Tiny Personal Firewall are the same thing - Tiny became Kerio about two years ago.

oh, and I use Winroute Pro. :D

martinell
08-01-2004, 23:39
sygate free version coz its FREE and it sits nice and quiet in the background not using too many resources and dont get in the way of my donkey like za used to do. the uninstaller works too(not like that ZA thingy) :tu:

lemarsh
09-01-2004, 00:12
sygate free version coz its FREE and it sits nice and quiet in the background not using too many resources and dont get in the way of my donkey like za used to do. the uninstaller works too(not like that ZA thingy) :tu:
Sygate for me as well - the free one of course !! (any chance of adding it to the vote above??)

homealone
09-01-2004, 00:13

FYI Kerio Personal Firewall and Tiny Personal Firewall are the same thing - Tiny became Kerio about two years ago.

I know what you mean about ZA - I 'think' I finally have it tamed, but have been caught out, before now;)

Frank
09-01-2004, 00:15
Visnetic Firewall pro, winroute pro ****ed me off. ipfilter on a BSD box is by far the preferred method but not available for all ;)

danielf
09-01-2004, 00:19

Yes, one wonders why peopl use ZA when this poll so clearly shows what the popular alternative is :confused: :)

I use ZA by the way, but I'm also sitting behind a router, so ZA is there just in case of unwanted outgoing traffic.

Bifta
09-01-2004, 00:19
I used to use Winroute Pro, never had a problem with it on DSL, finally worked out how to configure my Sonicwall and bought a new power supply for it so I use that for my work machines.

Ramrod
09-01-2004, 00:25
Mcafee here.

th'engineer
09-01-2004, 06:12
ZA here as well only one that works properley behind the NAT router, as homealone said when tamed

basa
09-01-2004, 08:10
Another vote for Sygate here. :)

(Why isn't it on the list ??? :confused: )

Stuartbe
09-01-2004, 08:13

After being a zonealarm convert for a long time I thought I'd try a few others.. kerio personal firewall, outpost, tiny personal firewall.. the list goes on

I use kerio personal firewall for aplication level filtering. Hardware firewall to protect the network......

Stuartbe
09-01-2004, 08:14
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH DEAR - Who voted for black ice ?????

paulyoung666
09-01-2004, 09:28
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH DEAR - Who voted for black ice ?????

nobody that i can see of :confused:

sygate for me as well :)
does the job nice and quietly , unlike za which used to sqwauk every 5 seconds that the world was going to end :mad:

Ramrod
09-01-2004, 09:58
How come McAfee isn't on the list? :confused:

Stuartbe
09-01-2004, 10:38
nobody that i can see of :confused:

sygate for me as well :)
does the job nice and quietly , unlike za which used to sqwauk every 5 seconds that the world was going to end :mad:

Doh !!!!

Need to clean my screen :blush:

greencreeper
09-01-2004, 20:45
ZA Pro but it takes some configuring and periodically has a fit and starts blocking programs it shouldn't. I upgraded to Pro from free because of the email quarantine thing, which also seems to work for news too.

Lundie
09-01-2004, 23:24
I find iptables/ipchains in the Linux kernel is quite fast with the shorewall front end. I have tried various Windows firewalls, but found them to have problems.

Graham
10-01-2004, 01:24
I use the free ZA for my firewall because Norton AV catches virtually everything else (the only thing it's missed recently was the "Bank of England" trojan and that's because it was so new it hadn't been updated yet)

Shaun
10-01-2004, 01:40
Norton, but when it comes up for renewal I'm going to give Kaspersky a go, suppose to be excellent.

Tricky
10-01-2004, 17:02

Gotta ask "BlackICE (hopefully not)" - Why not?

John Smiths
11-01-2004, 09:32
Sysgate personal on my windows machine and the built in one in os x...

Jon T
11-01-2004, 09:39
Norton Internet Security behind a Benq esg103 router, should be a linksys wireless router but dabs have had it back for repair for the last eight weeks :mad:.

Jon

Xaccers
11-01-2004, 09:50
I notice "windows firewall" isn't on the list, or is that covered by "none"? :D

Jon T
11-01-2004, 10:15
I notice "windows firewall" isn't on the list, or is that covered by "none"? :D

bloody useless invention

swoop101
11-01-2004, 12:21
They are actually going to improve the XP firewall with the release of Sp2 later in the year.
Apparently you will be able to actually configure it :eek:

keithwalton
11-01-2004, 12:44
Windows 2003 server protecting the lan.
And erm you can configure the xp firewall you just need to know where to look. Though it is only an inbound protector thats all you really need. If your worried about programs connecting out to the net then you've got somthing to hide !

K

Dave Stones
11-01-2004, 12:53
i use winroute pro :)

Paul
11-01-2004, 13:00
If your worried about programs connecting out to the net then you've got somthing to hide !

That is a very bizarre, dangerous and frankly stupid attitude to take. Many trojans that can get onto a Lan via legitimate means (via e-mail for instance) then make outgoing connections to do their work/damage. (quite a number log themselves onto irc channels to receive commands from the "hacker").

swoop101
11-01-2004, 13:09
And erm you can configure the xp firewall you just need to know where to look. Though it is only an inbound protector thats all you really need.
K

This is taken from PcPro
quote:
Microsoft has announced it's fixing both these issues - the SP 2 firewall will do outbound filtering as well as inbound, and the configuration will be improved (well, it could hardly have been any worse). I'm told it will now support scriptable control and even be able to tell whether it's connected to the company LAN or not and thus make a best judgment about whether the firewall should be up or down. And there are a bunch of other new things in place too, like being able to ensure that applications can open a port on the fly if they need to, but then ensuring it gets closed appropriately afterwards.

That is what I mean by configuring it.

Jon M
11-01-2004, 18:46
Windows 2003 server protecting the lan.
If your worried about programs connecting out to the net then you've got somthing to hide !

K
:rofl: :rofl:
Yeah i'd like to hide things.. like my credit card details.
And protect from deletion my personal email communications, my archive of personal photo's etc.. (yes i have backups.. but i'd rather not have to use them)

BootBoy
24-01-2004, 15:01
Sygate free. It rocks!

Apart from the fact it can't filter proxy traffic!

mandy
05-02-2004, 00:17
:D :ghugs: hi allwe are using EZfirewall and antivirus free via microsoft on their 123 protect system. it seems ok havent had any problems.... it looks quite good dont know how much it will cost when years up.... but i do get a lot of alerts from the firewall blocking access........ which is good so far i have not had any viruses or bugs... so i would reccommend it.........:angel: :wavey:

zoombini
05-02-2004, 08:53
I was in the local PC shop this week & some fella was in saying he had had a virus, and because the numpty on sales was telling him that he would have to reformat & reinstall to get rid of it, then proceeded to try & sell him £50 worth of extra software I just couldnt help myself but to tell him (outside of course) that he might be well advised to try the free firewall software Zonealarm (and AVG) first.

Altough I stopped using it after I got my hardware firewall I still think that ZA is good.

cliveb
06-02-2004, 12:04
I use Kerio 2.1.4, which is free. I think there is a 2.1.5, but 2.1.4 does everything I need so haven't upgraded. It's just a firewall, has a small footprint, and is easy to configure. No extra bells and whistles like Norton et al. I've heard bad things about Kerio's new one (version 4?).

Have also tried Sygate, which worked well on a single PC, but it didn't work on an ICS host.

DrAwesome
06-02-2004, 12:12
I have used Lockdown (which isnt on the list) very good software firewall bit pricey though... I now use ZA Pro (because my subscription is still valid) & the only other reason its installed is to monitor any leaks as im behind 2 hardware firewalls (Zero intrusions since install) :)

MikeyB
06-02-2004, 12:44
Another one for Sysgate Personal here.
Tried most of them in the past, settled on this one.

Paulie
06-02-2004, 12:57
I used to use black ice, but i screwed up my pc so bad i had to reformat. Now i`m pretty happy (so far) with the xp firewall.

Safecracker
06-02-2004, 23:12
Why go on price !!! Its wot it does that counts Norton And McAfee ALWAYS win in the computering mags last one i read was something like McAfee 90% Norton 86% and the rest More than 15% Lower (Hits Stoped) The Freebies Were Very Poor

Pyromanic
12-02-2004, 22:02
Sygate pro atm, Outpost is also good. Zonealarm can be shut down externally or have they fixed that now ? ZA is easiest to use though imo

homealone
12-02-2004, 22:34
Sygate pro atm, Outpost is also good. Zonealarm can be shut down externally or have they fixed that now ? ZA is easiest to use though imo

still using ZoneAlarm Pro atm - wondering whether that exploit you mention applies? :pp

\still wonders if 'pro' is worth it behind a router?

Stuartbe
12-02-2004, 22:41

Only if it is set up incorrectly..... contrary to popular beleief you CANNOT shut down a firewall by a magic script !!!!

If the firewall rejects the packets it can be exploited.......

That kind of post can scare people and is not helpfull IMO

The only kind of people that can bring down a badly configured firewall are the type of hacker that simpy would not bother with a simple home user.....

Sorry m8 but that is wrong !!!!

UK1Liam
14-02-2004, 10:22
I use Norton Internet Security.. coupled with a firmware firewall built into my router, makes me pretty secure I like to think :)

MadGamer
14-04-2004, 18:40
McAfee

Defiant
14-04-2004, 18:47

oh, and I use Winroute Pro. :DCheck the reviews out on IT website's like cnet and you'll soon find out why so many use it. ZA always comes out tops ;) :D

MovedGoalPosts
14-04-2004, 18:54
No ones mentioned Panda Software - Firewall works alongside their Antivirus as one integrated solution.

swoop101
14-04-2004, 19:36
At the moment I am using F-Secure internet security 2004 on a free trial till august, it is quite good but to be perfectly honest I will go back to ZA when it comes time to pay.

Paul K
14-04-2004, 19:46
Have used Zone Alarm and Zone Alarm pro and I must admit that they are both very good firewalls :) Currently I use Kerio but I think I will be going back to Zone Alarm soon as Kerio can be a bit intrusive.

Tezcatlipoca
14-04-2004, 20:19
I use ZoneAlarm (just for controlling application access to the net), from behind a NAT router (Linksys BEFSR41). Never had any problems with it.

No ones mentioned Panda Software - Firewall works alongside their Antivirus as one integrated solution.

Panda? Agh, we use Panda's Antivirus software at work...horrible thing IMO, & even seems more of a resource hog than Norton AV (although, admittedly, most of our PCs are crap).

deadite66
14-04-2004, 20:28
i've started using zonealarm on my desktop since kerio was giving me grief.
every time i kept updating windows i just got a blank screen on reboot.
still use kerio on my laptop and server though.

Ramrod
14-04-2004, 20:38
At the moment I am using F-Secure internet security 2004 on a free trial till august.Where did you get the free trial from?

swoop101
14-04-2004, 21:12
came on one of the disc's with a computer mag (either pcpro or pcw forget which)

Ramrod
14-04-2004, 21:15
came on one of the disc's with a computer mag (either pcpro or pcw forget which)Thats what I thought. I bought computer shopper last month and it said that those were free on the coverdisc....they lied :dozey:

swoop101
14-04-2004, 21:36
just found it again, it was on april 04 pcpro.

see if you can find a copy.

theman
15-04-2004, 21:01
KERIO FIREWALL it just sits in the background not like norton and mcafee which give me big mega problems

zendawn
15-04-2004, 21:18
I've just updated Zone Alarm's firewall and had over 200 intrusions blocked in the last 24hrs. How come there are so many port scans, Id hate to think what was happening before I installed ZA?