PDA

View Full Version : Learning to Drive!

ZrByte
08-01-2004, 16:39
Ok im finally starting to take my driving lessons, and im wondering if any of you fine people have any advice, online resources and experiences you can share to help me through.

I wont be starting my lessons until payday (Last week in January I think) so I have plenty of time to prepare for my First lesson. Ive bought the DSA Theory test practice software to help me get my highway code upto standard and I have been riding a motorbike (Scooter if you prefer, automatic) so I have some raod sense. however more help if you have it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance people :D

Xaccers
08-01-2004, 16:55
When going from a major road into a minor road, use 2nd
When going from a minor road into a major road, use 1st

Drive under the speed limit by about 5 minutes.
If you see any bad driving from others, point it out and say people like that shouldn't be on the road, or that you think it's best to let the idiots pass you (note, if the bad driving is the same as yours, best not mention it!)

Going through trafficlights at a crossroads, change down gear to show that you know to be ready incase anything happens, so you're in a more responsive gear.

Move your mirrors slightly so that you have to move your head to look in them. If the examiner doesn't see you looking, he'll assume you aren't.

Relax! Remember that the worst that can happen is you fail and resit (unless of course you crash or mow down an old lady)

Sociable
08-01-2004, 17:02
Sounds like you are thinking ahead well so I suspect you will do fine with the learning side, but good luck and "God making due progress" to you anyway. :)

One small tip given the other thread running right now try to avoid driving in Theodoric's way if friends and relations help by giving you some extra "road" time later in your learning.

We don't want him geting too upset it's bad for him.

That said, like Theo, I think it makes sense to leave lessons to the professionals as despite the cost it is way way cheaper than a divorce should a spouse be the person that tries to help LOL

paulyoung666
08-01-2004, 17:04
Ok im finally starting to take my driving lessons, and im wondering if any of you fine people have any advice, online resources and experiences you can share to help me through.

I wont be starting my lessons until payday (Last week in January I think) so I have plenty of time to prepare for my First lesson. Ive bought the DSA Theory test practice software to help me get my highway code upto standard and I have been riding a motorbike (Scooter if you prefer, automatic) so I have some raod sense. however more help if you have it would be appreciated.

get an instructor by reccomendation , not just any old one out of the yellow pages :)

ZrByte
09-01-2004, 14:29
Relax! Remember that the worst that can happen is you fail and resit (unless of course you crash or mow down an old lady)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

get an instructor by reccomendation , not just any old one out of the yellow pages

The only problem with this is that the only reccomendations I have had so far.....

One lives in Northwich (Too far for me to travel just to have a lesson, thats a 30min drive BTW)
One only Teaches Ladies
One was murdered a year ago :eek:

Now a question about Gears....
I know how to change Gears, the one thing that confuses me though is when to change them? Ive been told its when the engine reaches a certain number of Revs but I dont know how many :shrug: is that even true at all or should you just change when the engine starts struggling or something ??? :shrug: :shrug:

paulyoung666
09-01-2004, 14:38
a very difficult question to answer , change up to early and the car will struggle , change down when you are going to fast and the pistons might pop out and say hello , along with the oil :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: , seriously your instructor will keep you right on that one :)

ZrByte
09-01-2004, 14:42
a very difficult question to answer , change up to early and the car will struggle , change down when you are going to fast and the pistons might pop out and say hello , along with the oil :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: , seriously your instructor will keep you right on that one :)

lol :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Something else to look forward to I see :D

Nugget
09-01-2004, 14:44
I passed my test a couple of years ago, and asked my instructor the same question.

He told me that you can't really change gear on the number of revs, as it'll be different for each car. Also, the car I learnt in had a rev counter, but the one that I own hasn't!

The best bet is just to let your instructor (whoever it ends up being!) explain it properly - I know that sounds like a cop out, but I'd never driven at all before my first lesson and was alright with knowing when to change gear after only a couple.

ZrByte
09-01-2004, 14:47
I passed my test a couple of years ago, and asked my instructor the same question.

He told me that you can't really change gear on the number of revs, as it'll be different for each car. Also, the car I learnt in had a rev counter, but the one that I own hasn't!

The best bet is just to let your instructor (whoever it ends up being!) explain it properly - I know that sounds like a cop out, but I'd never driven at all before my first lesson and was alright with knowing when to change gear after only a couple.

Not a cop out at all :D at least I know I dont need to worry about it too much until I start my lessons, thanks :tu:

I never realised it was a vehicle dependant thing though it does make sense.

Flubflow
09-01-2004, 14:50
Now a question about Gears....
I know how to change Gears, the one thing that confuses me though is when to change them? Ive been told its when the engine reaches a certain number of Revs but I dont know how many :shrug: is that even true at all or should you just change when the engine starts struggling or something ??? :shrug: :shrug:

You need to know why and then you will usually know when.
Consult your instructor.

paulyoung666
09-01-2004, 14:54
this may sound obvious but make sure your eyesight is upto the job :)

ZrByte
09-01-2004, 15:05
this may sound obvious but make sure your eyesight is upto the job :)

Perfect 20:20 vision, unless Im at work and I think thats due to the lighting :shrug: was upto standard when I took my CBT for my Bike, need to read a liscence plate at 60 something feet, was really easy even though I was knackered and I was falling asleep on my feet.

Dave Stones
09-01-2004, 15:13
the gear thing, i was taught to listen to the sound of the engine and look at my speed in different situations as for when to change. eg on the flat 1st>2nd is about 15mph, then about 22mph 2nd>3rd, then if i need to go into 4th do it at about 30mph. and so forth. he hold me fof for putting it in 5th when we were on a clear national limit road... :erm:

Drive under the speed limit by about 5 minutes

eh? does that mean get there 5 minutes later than you would, by 5 minutes (angle measurement on the speedo, difficult if its a digital readout) or what? :shrug:

another pointer is make sure your seat is right, makes a hell of a difference if you have long legs a la dave. doing things is hard if your knees rub the steering wheel...

Nugget
09-01-2004, 15:19
another pointer is make sure your seat is right, makes a hell of a difference if you have long legs a la dave. doing things is hard if your knees rub the steering wheel...
That's a very good point - I'm 6 foot 5 and was fine when I was learning in the Peugeot 206, but I could only afford a Fiat Seicento when I bought my car, so now I spend most of the time with my knees resting on the engine, never mind the steering wheel :rofl:

homealone
09-01-2004, 15:24
That's a very good point - I'm 6 foot 5 and was fine when I was learning in the Peugeot 206, but I could only afford a Fiat Seicento when I bought my car, so now I spend most of the time with my knees resting on the engine, never mind the steering wheel :rofl:

LOL - it's true - he doesn't so much, get in the car, as perform origami:D

Wheras I am 5' 4" and can only see the bonnet when I get out:)

Theodoric
09-01-2004, 16:38
Well, to be cynical about it, what you are actually learning to do is to pass the driving test. So, ignore any short cuts that friends and relatives give you and pay attention to what your instructor tells you. Pass the wheel through your hands when turning a corner; make sure you use the mirror in a conspicious fashion; flashing a motorist to tell him you are giving way is not a legally acceptable action. When you've passed the test you can start developing all the bad habits that the rest of us have. :)

Sociable
09-01-2004, 16:40
OK Hands up all who like me are sure they would probably struggle to re-pass the test now given all the bad habits picked up over the years.

Nugget
09-01-2004, 16:44
OK Hands up all who like me are sure they would probably struggle to re-pass the test now given all the bad habits picked up over the years.
I've got to be honest - as I said, I only passed my test two and a half years ago, and I'd definitely have a bit of trouble (mind you, I hit the kerb during my test and still passed :D ).
Do you think that swearing and gesticulating wildly at the person who just cut you up would be alright?

Sociable
09-01-2004, 16:47
Do you think that swearing and gesticulating wildly at the person who just cut you up would be alright?

Better not could be the examiner's wife or husband. :)

Steve H
09-01-2004, 16:49

LOL :rofl::rofl:rofl:

I started driving about 5-6 monthes ago.. your instructor'l take you through everything.. gears will come natuarally after your 2nd or so lesson (if your a lad, not a lass ;)).. And as xaccers said.. you just need to tottaly impress your instructor.. give him a smooth drive, make him happy :naughty: My tests next saturday.. cant wait :D

Found it good to read www.2pass.co.uk , got loads of useful information about things, such as how to do hill starts, etc etc (Think gearings on there as well).. Also gives you useful info on the day of your test as well :)

ZrByte
09-05-2004, 15:16
update: well due to some money problems over the last few months I havent had a single lesson.
After falling off my bike a couple of weeks ago I have decided to look back into driving lessons.
My Mum and Dad have offered to pay for an intensive course for me for my 21st Birthday (Even though my birthday isnt until september I will be able to have these lessons as soon as possible).

Just wondering really if anybody else has been on one of these intensive courses?? and what they have to say on them??
ive had them reccomended to me due to spending the last year riding my bike I have road sense, meaning in theory I should be able to pass quicker than your average learner (Emphasis on in theory).

The reason I will be doing an intensive course rather than normal lessons is because I am planning to sell my bike but I still need transport for work so speed is of the essence :) (My insurance is due up for my bike so I want to get rid of it very soon)
I would really rather keep my bike aswel as the car but I deffinatley cant afford both so ive decided the bike has got to go (I may get another in a few years time but getting a car has become a priority for now).

Also could anybody reccomend a good cheap car to start off with once I pass??

paulyoung666
09-05-2004, 15:20
depending on what you can afford , it may be worth looking at a new car , for one good reason , quite often you will get a years free insurance with it :)

reg vardy (http://www.regvardy.com/rvw/a/vehicle_search_new.htm) for example :)

ZrByte
09-05-2004, 15:22
depending on what you can afford , it may be worth looking at a new car , for one good reason , quite often you will get a years free insurance with it :)

Yeah someone else reccomended that to me aswel, only problem is Ive been told that the insurance will be quite steep for me for my seccond year due to me beeing a new driver and due to the car still beeing so new (If thats not true though it may well be worth me looking into :) )

Silent Wings
09-05-2004, 15:23
Firstly I would find out what the waiting time is like for tests, in this area it's about 3 months. It would be a shame to pay out for a week of intensive lessons only to find you have months to wait for a test.

paulyoung666
09-05-2004, 15:24
insurance is always going to be expensive at your tender age , you may well find a new cars insurance not as bad as you think , as with it being new it will be safer and harder to steal than an old one :)

ZrByte
09-05-2004, 15:30
Firstly I would find out what the waiting time is like for tests, in this area it's about 3 months. It would be a shame to pay out for a week of intensive lessons only to find you have months to wait for a test.

BSM are the only ones who do intensives around here and apparently they book your test for you during the week of your intensive course, so all of that should be sorted for me. so allthough I may have to wait a couple of months to do the intensive at least my test will be straight after it :)

insurance is always going to be expensive at your tender age , you may well find a new cars insurance not as bad as you think , as with it being new it will be safer and harder to steal than an old one :)

thats a good point and deffinatley worth looking into. There is also a vauxhalls directly over the road from my house so I shouldnt even have to walk far to find out :D

Jerrek
09-05-2004, 18:27
Pray tell what exactly is intensive lessons?

paulyoung666
09-05-2004, 18:29
Pray tell what exactly is intensive lessons?

a weeks course where you cram all the learning into that time , i am not sure if they are a good or bad idea tbh :confused:

ZrByte
09-05-2004, 19:27
a weeks course where you cram all the learning into that time , i am not sure if they are a good or bad idea tbh :confused:

Probably a bad idea for most, however anybody with road experience like myself I think will find they are pretty good (will be able to tell you if im right when I pass/fail mine :D ).
Basicly I know most of what I need to know about the road, all I need is some fine tuning my knowledge and to learn how to actually drive the car itself.

Xaccers
09-05-2004, 20:11
eh? does that mean get there 5 minutes later than you would, by 5 minutes (angle measurement on the speedo, difficult if its a digital readout) or what? :shrug:

D'oh! Meant 5mph under the limit :)

Scrubbs
09-05-2004, 20:14
I'll just put in my tuppenceworth

when my brats passed their test I rang up an insurance company and asked what was the best/cheapest car to buy and they said, under 1000cc and british is the cheapest to insure.so I got a fiesta

The other thing about taking lessons, don't be afraid to sit in your parents car pretending to drive, (with the engine switched off of course):)
And get someone to tell you left turn, traffic lights etc it is good practice

making the engine noise is optional:D

SMHarman
13-05-2004, 10:05

I'd certainly struggle, the accelerating to 95 in 3rd to pull on to the A10 would probably be a good start.

Mrs H had to take her test when she moved over from the states, she had been driving here on her US licence for 2 years (the maximum) before hand. Seemed a little ironic to me that when she took her first test, she drove to the test centre, put L plates on toook a test, failed, took them off and drove home again.

She failed as her driving was too aggressive, she decided to accelerate out of a dangerous situation on a roundabout (in a 175bhp Saab 93) rather than stand on the brakes and end up at a standstill on a busy roundabout. In her opionion the instructor, an retired instructor 65+, wearing a 3 piece suit and bow tie, brought back due to a lack of instructors was looking to fail her from the moment he heard her accent and saw her american licence.

I'll just put in my tuppenceworth

when my brats passed their test I rang up an insurance company and asked what was the best/cheapest car to buy and they said, under 1000cc and british is the cheapest to insure.so I got a fiesta

The other thing about taking lessons, don't be afraid to sit in your parents car pretending to drive, (with the engine switched off of course):)
And get someone to tell you left turn, traffic lights etc it is good practice

making the engine noise is optional:D

Remember British can often mean what is percieved to be foreign. Nissan, Toyota etc all make lots of cars over here. The current Fiesta is made in Spain, the Focus in Germany.

As has already been said, newer cars can be cheaper to insure, but often need insuring fully comp. Have a look at the policy excess you pay for a own fault claim. See how far you are willing to ramp that up and the change in premium. Often taking it to about £350 will knock about 20% off the premium, after that it seems diminishing returns kick in. For me to up it to £500 would have meant a £3 reduction in my premium. Not worthwhile IMHO.

Modern cars have better safety features so are less likely to be involved in accidents ABS, etc. Are usually cheaper to repair and more reliable, useful if you need it for work.

Also think of the whole life cost. Buying a 6 yr old car may seem a saving, but when you are hit with the cost of 4 new tyres, an exhaust system, and higher servicing bills it may not look such a bargain. Citroen with their free insurance and 17.5% off list price are good value at the mo.

Most of the cost of insurance is for the 3rd party liability. A car insurer could pay our £Millio ns if you maim someone, in or outside your car and they require care for life. The average dent and scrape repairs are peanuts to them.

D'oh! Meant 5mph under the limit :)

and get failed for hesitation.

Chris
13-05-2004, 10:17

What part of the Wirral are you from? I'm curious whether you're going to be learning on any of the old favourite instructor's routes that I used to drive on!

Chris W
13-05-2004, 12:33

I have just repassed my test :)

I had my license revoked because i was caught speeding twice last summer. It gave me 6 points on my license, and under the new drivers act 6points in your first to years and you have to retake your test. So annoying because it was like two months until the 2 years were up :mad: and i had driven for 22months and never been done for speeding, then was done twice in 4 days!

Anyway... i had to retake my theory test and then practical. The hazard perception in the theory is stupid... but i think the new vehicle checks on the practical are a good idea :tu: they ask you things like how do you check the oil? where do you fill up the windscreen washer? etc.

When i oringally took my test it took me two attempts in SE london because i made a silly mistake on the first one, but i think failing made me a better river, because it meant i was less c0cky. When i did pass i got 6minors. When i retook my test a few weeks ago i did it in Swansea and got 5minors... so i guess my driving has improved :) one of the minors was for speeding though :shocked: some people never learn :dunce:

ZrByte
13-05-2004, 13:42
What part of the Wirral are you from? I'm curious whether you're going to be learning on any of the old favourite instructor's routes that I used to drive on!

Im from Birkenhead, apparently the instructor I will be learning with is very fond of new brighton front (as are a lot of instructors around here ) :)

Chris
13-05-2004, 13:54
Im from Birkenhead, apparently the instructor I will be learning with is very fond of new brighton front (as are a lot of instructors around here ) :)
Aha, I did my test in Birkenhead :)

Some of the evillest roundabouts on planet Earth, IMHO, especially the one at Hoylake Road/Laird Street with six exits and a church in the middle of it :spin:

There are some nasty unmarked crossroads nearby in Birkenhead North as well, but have they not moved the test centre now? You may escape having to do your test there.

I drove some lessons up and down New Brighton prom, but my first ever (legal) go behind the wheel was on the prom at Meols, which is even quieter.

Best advice I can give is, if you're going to get some unofficial tuition in a family car or with a friend, go for a very long drive rather than just an hour, or 30 minutes. It'll help get you into driving as a habit rather than having to think about everything all the time. My brother used to go for afternoons up the A55 round the North Wales coast. That's about as close as you'll get to being on a M-way without actually going on one, so once your confidence and technical skills have increased a little, I'd recommend it. It'll really help your road awareness.

ZrByte
13-05-2004, 14:29

Some of the evillest roundabouts on planet Earth, IMHO, especially the one at Hoylake Road/Laird Street with six exits and a church in the middle of it :spin:

Confused the hell outta me the first time I went on that one, forgot wich exist I was meant to leave on :D

There are some nasty unmarked crossroads nearby in Birkenhead North as well, but have they not moved the test centre now? You may escape having to do your test there.

I think the test center has been moved, however I dont know if it is just because of habbit or not but most friends of mine who have done thier test in the last year have done it in bidston via Birkenhead North.

I drove some lessons up and down New Brighton prom, but my first ever (legal) go behind the wheel was on the prom at Meols, which is even quieter.

Best advice I can give is, if you're going to get some unofficial tuition in a family car or with a friend, go for a very long drive rather than just an hour, or 30 minutes. It'll help get you into driving as a habit rather than having to think about everything all the time. My brother used to go for afternoons up the A55 round the North Wales coast. That's about as close as you'll get to being on a M-way without actually going on one, so once your confidence and technical skills have increased a little, I'd recommend it. It'll really help your road awareness.

Thanks, i'll remember that one. Only problem is my Dad wont even let me in the driving seat of his car until I have had at least one lesson. Since I am supposed to be doing an intensive course, by the time ive had my first lesson/day I wont really have time to have a drive in his car (even a short drive :( ).
Allthough I have been talking with my Dad and we where thinking of normal lessons. When I enquired about intensive lessons I found out that the waiting list is 8 weeks to take the test and you dont do a single lesson until the week before the test is due.
My dad seems to think that if I do more lessons than most (say about 3 lessons a week rather than just 1 like most people I know) I could well be ready to do my test by then anyway, this would also work out about £100 cheaper.

Anybody agree/disagree with that?? I really need a second opinion before I go book either intensive or normal lessons :)

Chris
13-05-2004, 14:36
My dad seems to think that if I do more lessons than most (say about 3 lessons a week rather than just 1 like most people I know) I could well be ready to do my test by then anyway, this would also work out about £100 cheaper.

Anybody agree/disagree with that?? I really need a second opinion before I go book either intensive or normal lessons :)There is no substitute for the kind of road sense that comes with experience. You can learn how to make a car do what you want it to very easily, but learning how to anticipate problems is not something you can pick up in a week. If you get the technical skills sorted in a week, then sit your test and are very lucky with the road conditions (nobody braking suddenly, cutting you up, failing to indicate, etc etc) you might pass your test. But will you be as 'good' a driver as someone who learned for three months and then passed their test? Personally, I doubt it.

I once heard someone say the formula is a lesson for each year of your life. I learned while I was 17/18 and had about that many paid-for lessons, plus loads of extra practice with my dad. I can't blame yours for not wanting you near his car until you know, mechanically, how to drive the thing, but I really do think it's worth you getting a couple of lessons, learning the basics, and then spending a lot of time just driving and learning what it's actually like out there on the roads.

EDIT

And what's the hurry anyway? You've waited 20 years, a couple more weeks won't do any harm ... ;)

ZrByte
13-05-2004, 15:12
There is no substitute for the kind of road sense that comes with experience. You can learn how to make a car do what you want it to very easily, but learning how to anticipate problems is not something you can pick up in a week. If you get the technical skills sorted in a week, then sit your test and are very lucky with the road conditions (nobody braking suddenly, cutting you up, failing to indicate, etc etc) you might pass your test. But will you be as 'good' a driver as someone who learned for three months and then passed their test? Personally, I doubt it.

I once heard someone say the formula is a lesson for each year of your life. I learned while I was 17/18 and had about that many paid-for lessons, plus loads of extra practice with my dad. I can't blame yours for not wanting you near his car until you know, mechanically, how to drive the thing, but I really do think it's worth you getting a couple of lessons, learning the basics, and then spending a lot of time just driving and learning what it's actually like out there on the roads.

EDIT

And what's the hurry anyway? You've waited 20 years, a couple more weeks won't do any harm ... ;)

I have 1 years road experience thanks to my bike, I'd like to think I have pretty good road sense now (my instructor may think otherwise, wich I am glad of if I am wrong, I would rather know than live in ignorance :) )
So in theory all I really need to learn is the mechanical side of driving a car, and obviously some fine tuning of my current knowledge (e.g. a car is 3x thicker than my bike, could be handy to know when trying to park :D )
My Dad has offered to spend quite a bit of time with me once I have had at least one lesson thanks to my sister nearly totaling his car in the car park outside where I used to work.

hehe, a lot of people have asked me what the hurry is, so I'll explain :)
I fell off my bike about a month or so ago as you may or may not remember.
I now really want to get rid of my bike and move onto a car, in a perfect world I would like to keep both but cant afford to right now, once my insurance on the car comes down a bit in a few years I will be able to go back to the bike again but not until then.
The problem is my insurance is due up for renewal in a few weeks and I really want to be rid of my bike by then, the second problem is I need to keep my bike until I get my car as I need transport to get to work and public transport is becoming far too expensive.

so in short - I need to learn to drive before my insurance on my bike expires so I dont end up paying out more than I need to :)

Graham
13-05-2004, 19:19
I once heard someone say the formula is a lesson for each year of your life.

Err, excuse me?!

So if (as I'm thinking of) I decide to take my test again, I need *thirty nine* lessons???

paulyoung666
13-05-2004, 19:22
Err, excuse me?!

So if (as I'm thinking of) I decide to take my test again, I need *thirty nine* lessons???

who is to say you dont , i am fairly certain i would not pass the test after driving for 19 years :(

Graham
13-05-2004, 19:27
who is to say you dont , i am fairly certain i would not pass the test after driving for 19 years :(

So you are saying your driving is so bad that you need (at the minimum) 37 lessons to bring your driving up to the standard it *should* be?? (Read the next paragraph before you jump on this...! :) )

No, of course you're not saying anything of the sort, but I'm sure both you and I have a lot more "road experience" than an 18 year old who's just taken their test for the first time, haven't we? And that is, when it comes down to it, what a driving test *really* needs to teach.

kink
13-05-2004, 19:29
I have just repassed my test :)

.........[Snippity snipped]
Congratulations Monkeybreath :D Really happy for you.......but then it could be the codeine i took about an hour ago :dozey:

I know this is off topic but....... i only took a closer look at this thread because i thought it was about 'Learning to drivel' and wondering what this forum was coming to but it was my eyes that were at fault obviously :erm:

Sorry

paulyoung666
13-05-2004, 19:33
So you are saying your driving is so bad that you need (at the minimum) 37 lessons to bring your driving up to the standard it *should* be?? (Read the next paragraph before you jump on this...! :) )

No, of course you're not saying anything of the sort, but I'm sure both you and I have a lot more "road experience" than an 18 year old who's just taken their test for the first time, haven't we? And that is, when it comes down to it, what a driving test *really* needs to teach.

yeah you are right it was a bit of ' tongue in cheek ' stuff :D :D :D , it wouldnt surprise me if it did take a few lessons though , especially as the test will have changed so much in that length of time :D :D :D

Xaccers
13-05-2004, 19:34

And that road experience is probably what will make you fail the test (daft as that sounds)
Take my dad (please, someone, I beg you, take him off our hands!) he's got about 40 years driving experience but there is no way in hell that he'd be able to pass the practical test let alone the theory test.

Driving lessons serve one purpose, to get you to pass the test. Once you've done that, that's when you start to drive.

Chris W
13-05-2004, 19:40
I had to have some lessons before retaking my test, not so i could learn how to drive, but to learn to get into the habbits you need to pass your test again. When i learnt originally, i had an instructor to teach me to pass my test, and my dad taught me to drive... personally i think this was a good combination!

It also helped that before i passed my test originally i had driven five different cars, i think it is important to learn in more than one car, because once you've finished learning you will never drive your instructors car again so it is good to get experience in as many different cars as possible, then you don't get a shock when you change cars!

Marge
13-05-2004, 19:41
Driving lessons serve one purpose, to get you to pass the test. Once you've done that, that's when you start to drive.

Not long after I passed my test I was approaching a pelican crossing, I hadn't seen the light was on red but my b/f did. I was doing between 25-30 merrily singing along to myself when all of a sudden he put the hand brake on cos he knew I wasn't going to stop. 180 degree turn later, me stunned, b/f bawling and shouting and one white faced pedestrian I learnt my lesson about observation :blush:

Charlie_Bubble
13-05-2004, 19:43
Confused the hell outta me the first time I went on that one, forgot wich exist I was meant to leave on :D

I think the test center has been moved, however I dont know if it is just because of habbit or not but most friends of mine who have done thier test in the last year have done it in bidston via Birkenhead North.

Thanks, i'll remember that one. Only problem is my Dad wont even let me in the driving seat of his car until I have had at least one lesson. Since I am supposed to be doing an intensive course, by the time ive had my first lesson/day I wont really have time to have a drive in his car (even a short drive :( ).
Allthough I have been talking with my Dad and we where thinking of normal lessons. When I enquired about intensive lessons I found out that the waiting list is 8 weeks to take the test and you dont do a single lesson until the week before the test is due.

Anybody agree/disagree with that?? I really need a second opinion before I go book either intensive or normal lessons :)

I'd go with the 2 or 3 lessons a week idea. An intensive course is all well and good, if you have some driving experience, maybe a lesson or two, but think how much of your time is gonna be blown if you make some kind of mistake on day 1 or 2 and it hits your confidence. Best to do maybe a couple of double lessons a week for a month or two. that way, if you have a bad lesson you'll have forgotten it by the next one, plus your dad will probably be ok about taking you out for the odd hour or two after the first couple of lessons.

Xaccers
13-05-2004, 19:43
Not long after I passed my test I was approaching a pelican crossing, I hadn't seen the light was on red but my b/f did. I was doing between 25-30 merrily singing along to myself when all of a sudden he put the hand brake on cos he knew I wasn't going to stop. 180 degree turn later, me stunned, b/f bawling and shouting and one white faced pedestrian I learnt my lesson about observation :blush:

And I trusted you with my car key? :Yikes:

Marge
13-05-2004, 19:50
And I trusted you with my car key? :Yikes:

:D :D :D course you did, I promised not to crash it :rofl:

MovedGoalPosts
13-05-2004, 21:06
famous last words :disturbd:

ZrByte
13-05-2004, 21:18

Well it is very hard to crash a set of keys now isnt it :D

I'd go with the 2 or 3 lessons a week idea. An intensive course is all well and good, if you have some driving experience, maybe a lesson or two, but think how much of your time is gonna be blown if you make some kind of mistake on day 1 or 2 and it hits your confidence. Best to do maybe a couple of double lessons a week for a month or two. that way, if you have a bad lesson you'll have forgotten it by the next one, plus your dad will probably be ok about taking you out for the odd hour or two after the first couple of lessons.

Since that makes a hell of a lot of sense to me I think I'll go with that Idea, I wasnt even thinking of accidents and mistakes, plus it will be funny to see the horror on my Dads face when he realises he might actually have to honour his offer to give me some lessons in his car :D

Charlie_Bubble
13-05-2004, 21:27
Well it is very hard to crash a set of keys now isnt it :D

Since that makes a hell of a lot of sense to me I think I'll go with that Idea, I wasnt even thinking of accidents and mistakes, plus it will be funny to see the horror on my Dads face when he realises he might actually have to honour his offer to give me some lessons in his car :D

Good luck with it. Don't be too eager and set yourself an unobtainable date target. Once you've learnt the basics and you're able to drive with no real problems it's just a matter of getting someone to take you out to get as much road practice as you can so it feels second nature.

Xaccers
13-05-2004, 21:40
So, no one wants to take my dad then? :disturbd:

SMHarman
13-05-2004, 21:52
<snip>
<snip>

Wise words from your dad.

Best you get about 5 lessons in with an instructor so they drill in proper technique before your dad tries to teach bad habits.

snodvan
13-05-2004, 21:55

You shoud just SEE what they have done to the "Holy Doughnut" ie St James' church on the roundabout in Birkenhead. It is not a roundabout any more. The traffic is now 2-way around 2/3 of it with loads of traffic lights. I have been driving since (I think) 1959 (with No licence points etc - boast, boast) and have been around that roundabout many, many times. When I did my test you had to learn the whip signals that horse & cart drivers would give.

Charlie_Bubble
13-05-2004, 21:59
Best you get about 5 lessons in with an instructor so they drill in proper technique before your dad tries to teach bad habits.

Yes, this is very important. Do not alter the way your instructor teaches you to drive, until you have passed. Your instructor will know exactly what they are looking for and what is acceptable for passing the test. (feeding the wheel with both hands, always putting your handbrake on when you stop etc.) As someone already said, you are learning to pass the test first. After that you will learn something every day. When you've been doing it donkey's years you will be able to predict other peoples mistakes and hopefully act accordingly before they take you down with them.

Graham
14-05-2004, 00:09
And that road experience is probably what will make you fail the test (daft as that sounds)
Take my dad (please, someone, I beg you, take him off our hands!) he's got about 40 years driving experience but there is no way in hell that he'd be able to pass the practical test let alone the theory test.

Well I've already proved several times that I can pass the theory test having done the online versions with near perfect results (and, IIRC, in a couple of instances corrected the questions!)

As to the practical, although I haven't been behind the wheel of a car for (oh my gods) about 17-18 years :Yikes: all I need is a bit of handling practice and I'll be sorted.