PDA

View Full Version : problems on dial up

therock247uk
07-01-2004, 19:12
Today i kept getting pinged out on web sites then after my connection went. Then i tried to dial up again it taken me about 5 attempts to get connected again. Then my connection went again. Then when i tried dialing up agian it taken me 2 attempt to get connected. Im just wondring if any one else have been having this problem.

Bigtone
07-01-2004, 19:54
Hi & welcome.
What are the errors your getting when you try
to dial in?

therock247uk
07-01-2004, 19:59
the computer you are dialing did not respond to your request or something like that

luci5
08-01-2004, 14:42
This is the problem I've been having on ntl:freedom for the past few months. As I can hear my modem dialling, it keeps getting an engaged tone before coming up with the message, "The computer you are dialing did not respond".

Ntl helpdesk said it would dial a different number until it got a connection, but this is not the case.

st-clares
10-01-2004, 16:54
What number are you using. I use 147008089909877. I have on rare occasions had difficulty in logging on but a second try usually works OK.

I have also setup my account manually as I was getting annoying windows coming up saying "You are not Working Online do you want to connect". This has now solved that problem

luci5
10-01-2004, 17:28
That is the same number I use, although several ntl advisers told me that they don't know which number is used.

I finally received a letter today in response to the email I sent at the beginning of December about not being able to connect. There is no address or telephone number on either the letter or the envelope, but it is postmarked Basingstoke, Hants. It states,

"I can assure you the NTL aims to provide and maintain a high level of service at all times and in doing so, treats every customer concern seriously. Please accept my apologies if you feel this has not been the case.

Once we have investigated this issue we will contact you in order to gain a resolution and bring this matter to a close."

I have been back using the PC in the past few days, after a break of about 3 weeks, and have been able to connect each time. I just hope that saying this doesn't tempt providence. Prior to this I was having to try repeatedly for up to half an hour before giving up and trying my alternative ISP.