PDA

View Full Version : How NOT to do it.

Maggy
06-01-2004, 20:01
I did ponder where to put this story.Don't move it to humour beacause although it is funny it's actually a true tale.

I was on my way to 4th lesson (Year 10 3D art) and I was not far from the main gates when I heard a bang and a thump from the main road and a collective roar from the students out of 3rd lesson early.I turned to the main gates and saw a student picking himself off the road and a maroon saloon car with the driver practically leaping over the bonnet to get to the child.

Now I grabbed the child asked if he was ok and what had happened and why he was on the OUTSIDE of the school gates.He trying to get away from me said he had decided to skive off school but got knocked down by a car.I said that I could see that but now he had better wait for a senior member of staff and that he would have to be checked over by the school nurse.

In the end he was checked out by the nurse,by the paramedics that were sent for,bawled out by senior staff, his mother had been sent for and she ripped him to shreds and on top of that the police 'wanted a chat'.All in all he had a rather eventful hour or so.

However not once did the little twerp even appreciate how bluddy lucky he was to be alive and not only alive but totally undamaged.The little nit didn't even apologise to the driver for terrifying him and severely damaging his car.How in hell he even walked away from it all amazes me.

However I reckon the jeers he got from all the student onlookers was more than enough to make him look BOTH ways IF he decides to skive school again.

Incog. :)

paulyoung666
06-01-2004, 20:23
he aint going to live that down for a while i reckon , i suppose it is ok to :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: because he is ok

aliferste
06-01-2004, 20:28
He will be talking about it for years :)

Steve H
06-01-2004, 20:37
Not nice at all for the driver though, bet hes shaken right up.. let alone the damage to his car. Just finished learning to drive.. some of the schoolkids are right prats when they're next to the road, no appreciation at all for the drivers.. yet if one was actually to hit a child, I wonder where the blame would lie: :shrug:

Gogogo
06-01-2004, 20:45
Now I grabbed the child asked if he was ok and what had happened and why he was on the OUTSIDE of the school gates.He trying to get away from me said he had decided to skive off school but got knocked down by a car.I said that I could see that but now he had better wait for a senior member of staff and that he would have to be checked over by the school nurse...Incog. :)

You are fortunate he didn't claim an assault charge against you.

Maggy
06-01-2004, 21:16
You are fortunate he didn't claim an assault charge against you.

Not a chance,not with the driver of the car that hit him as a witness,another driver who had stopped,a school groundsman(complete with mobile radio) and several hundred jeering students and the site manager(caretaker) as onlookers.He had no chance of accusing me of anything apart from concern about his well being.
Anyway I reckon a word in his mother's shelllike would soon disperse that notion

Paul
06-01-2004, 22:10
What a very lucky boy - not as lucky as one lad when I was at school - he was walking along the kerb and fell into the path of an oncoming car.

Fortunately he lived, but he spent many weeks in hospital with head injuries. :(

Chris W
06-01-2004, 22:12
there should be a law that makes pedestrians pay for damage caused to cars because of their own stupidity.

I failed my driving test because somebody ran out infront of me... I was in my instructors 3 week old 206 and came up to a roundabout... a guy ran out into the road because he didn't look, i saw him and so did the examiner, and we both hit the brakes.

We hit the guy anyway, not too hard, but he hit the bonnet and it needed to be replaced (£900 bill). As a result was this my test was stopped. The guy was a bit shaken, but not harmed... he was ****ed and tried to just wander off afterwards.

The results of his stupidity were:
1) me nearly wetting myself
2) my instructor having to fork out nearly a grand on his car which was brand new
3) and me failing my test because my examiner had to hit the brakes during the test :(

total bill: £900+ my test fee + 2hours driving lessons to retake the test

not a happy bunny!!! :mad:

Maggy
06-01-2004, 22:29
What a very lucky boy - not as lucky as one lad when I was at school - he was walking along the kerb and fell into the path of an oncoming car.

Fortunately he lived, but he spent many weeks in hospital with head injuries. :(

The really sad thing is that we do have one child who was severely injured about 2 and half years ago.She had only been in the school a couple of weeks before having the accident outside the school.She was in a coma for weeks and is still not fit enough to return to school although that is the aim.
Before Christmas two other children were involved in accidents outside the school and frankly in the 11 years I've been coming to this school I'm totally amazed that more students haven't been hurt and that we have been really lucky that no one has been killed,mainly because we have three very busy main roads as bounderies to the school.Parents have nowhere to park so park outside the school blocking access for all the other traffic which is very dangerous outside the only entrance,exit.Add to this a triple roundabout at one end of the road outside the school and a set of traffic lights at the other.These traffic lights are at the main access road for the students to filter through to the estates that are part of the schools area and the students just walk directly through the lights when they are GREEN for the traffic because there is a public cycle,walkway leading onto the traffic lights which makes them regard them as a pelican crossing but THEY ARE NOT PELICAN LIGHTS.It's very dangerous.

I just wish they would reduce the speed from 30 to at least 20 and put some bluddy humps in the road.The council could even take some of the allotments across from the school and make a parking area for the parents and it would reduce some of the danger.Catch a town council having THAT much common sense.
Just hope it doesn't take a dead child to get them to sort summat out :(

Incog.

Nor
06-01-2004, 22:38
Some kids are terrible. Can't count the number of times they have pushed each other out into the road in front of me. Of course if I hit them I'd get the book thrown at me for going 32mph.

Chris W
06-01-2004, 22:41
The really sad thing is that we do have one child who was severely injured about 2 and half years ago.She had only been in the school a couple of weeks before having the accident outside the school.She was in a coma for weeks and is still not fit enough to return to school although that is the aim.
Before Christmas two other children were involved in accidents outside the school and frankly in the 11 years I've been coming to this school I'm totally amazed that more students haven't been hurt and that we have been really lucky that no one has been killed,mainly because we have three very busy main roads as bounderies to the school.Parents have nowhere to park so park outside the school blocking access for all the other traffic which is very dangerous outside the only entrance,exit.Add to this a triple roundabout at one end of the road outside the school and a set of traffic lights at the other.These traffic lights are at the main access road for the students to filter through to the estates that are part of the schools area and the students just walk directly through the lights when they are GREEN for the traffic because there is a public cycle,walkway leading onto the traffic lights which makes them regard them as a pelican crossing but THEY ARE NOT PELICAN LIGHTS.It's very dangerous.

I just wish they would reduce the speed from 30 to at least 20 and put some bluddy humps in the road.The council could even take some of the allotments across from the school and make a parking area for the parents and it would reduce some of the danger.Catch a town council having THAT much common sense.

Incog.

they should continue with the american 'yellow school bus' scheme that they are piloting, it will vastly reduce the number of cars outside school. The fact that it will be a supervised school bus means that parents who don't want their kids to walk/ take public transport would get piece of mind and there would be less risk for everyone around the school.

Nor
06-01-2004, 22:48
Kids are the problem, not cars. Okay thats abit of a generalisation but its so bloody true most of the time.

In my day we used to get the green cross code man on the TV telling us how to cross the road properly. Nowadays kids are apparantly perfect and all the tv adverts are for us driving too fast.

Sipowicz
06-01-2004, 23:10
is very dangerous outside the only entrance,exit.Add to this a triple roundabout

One of the schools in the town has a 20mph zone just outside it, the school is on a fairly main road and the speed drops from 40 to 30 and down to 20 for the school bit, then back up to 30 to 40. It doesn't seem to stop them from speeding after school hours tho'. It is impossible to speed in the mornings, as the roads are full of parents dropping off the kids! The way they park is a bit worrying, esp. when the decide to drag the kids out onto the road in front of on coming cars!

Bugblatter
06-01-2004, 23:19
Students???? To me students are over 18 and at college or university. I assume this was a PUPIL? Why do education staff want to Americanise everything:

English American
Caretaker = Superintendent
Pupil = Student
Term = Semester
Headteacher = Principal

We already have things like the second year pupils referred to as "Year one students"

Why?

homealone
06-01-2004, 23:40

Incog.

In my opinion kids need to be aware that, any object, moving at any speed, has the potential to harm them - I'm not saying drivers of cars, bikes, scooters etc, should have the right of anarchy, on the road, but the kids shouldn't think that because there is a 'law', they are 'protected'?

Maggy
07-01-2004, 00:31
Students???? To me students are over 18 and at college or university. I assume this was a PUPIL? Why do education staff want to Americanise everything:

English American
Caretaker = Superintendent
Pupil = Student
Term = Semester
Headteacher = Principal

We already have things like the second year pupils referred to as "Year one students"

Why?

Does it matter that much? It's just words after all.You understand what is meant and surely the whole point is communication and understanding.

DrAwesome
07-01-2004, 00:52
In my opinion kids need to be aware that, any object, moving at any speed, has the potential to harm them - I'm not saying drivers of cars, bikes, scooters etc, should have the right of anarchy, on the road, but the kids shouldn't think that because there is a 'law', they are 'protected'?

The trouble is they dont look where they are going, i was driving passed a school this afternoon the car infront of me was doing less than 5mph and a young lad just ran in front of my car if i had hit him even at a slow speed he would be in hospital i obvously stopped to avoid hitting him and i looked at him (he obvously knew then he had done wrong) he looked back at me then just carried on not a care in the world.

When i was at school we had it drummed into us (3 or 4 times a month we were shown a film at school on what could happen if we were knocked over by a car/van etc if we ran onto the road it will hurt and being hit by a car/van it could kill) that we dont run across the road we dont run between parked cars we stop, look and listen.

I wonder if the schools still teach the kids about road safety it was obvous this afternoon that the young child that ran infront of my car had not been taught the do's and donts.

homealone
07-01-2004, 02:13
The trouble is they dont look where they are going, i was driving passed a school this afternoon the car infront of me was doing less than 5mph and a young lad just ran in front of my car if i had hit him even at a slow speed he would be in hospital i obvously stopped to avoid hitting him and i looked at him (he obvously knew then he had done wrong) he looked back at me then just carried on not a care in the world.

When i was at school we had it drummed into us (3 or 4 times a month we were shown a film at school on what could happen if we were knocked over by a car/van etc if we ran onto the road it will hurt and being hit by a car/van it could kill) that we dont run across the road we dont run between parked cars we stop, look and listen.

I wonder if the schools still teach the kids about road safety it was obvous this afternoon that the young child that ran infront of my car had not been taught the do's and donts.

but why do we have to 'teach' kids that even a pushbike, say 10 Kg, & a rider, say 50 Kg, at 15 miles an hour, is going to hurt if it hits you - tbh the ones that can't grasp that, deserve what they get?? :shrug:

Escapee
07-01-2004, 11:29
I look around my area and see many bad stretches of road that are a potential hazzard for people trying to cross, at the end of my road there is a staggered T juction. It joins the main road between a nasty 90 degree bend and a roundabout both with 50 meters of the junction. This is a deadly area to cross and I am very suprised that someone has not been killed yet, the roundabout is on main road and is in a cutting with traffic turning left at 30MPH+ into the small area with the staggered T junc and 90 degree bend.

This road layout was implemented around 6 years ago when the new bypass road was built, many of the other bad road layouts and junctions that I can think of were built within the last 15 years in this area. The local councillor who was mayor last year asked me what I thought about the traffic calming scheme that he introduced in his own road. Being a friend he should of known that I would of told him exactly as it was, I said how can you introduce a road narrowing scheme that does not have double yellow lines x amount of meters either side of it? I said have you driven down that road and got to the narrow section only to realise that a car is coming the other way and there is nowhere to pass because of all the parked cars? He said the residents wanted the calming scheme, they didnt want humps because of the noise, but they still wanted to be able to park outside there own houses! This in my opinion is still as dangerous as it ever was because kids cross the road to the local school at this junction, double yellow lines would of enabled them to cross more safely.

At the other end of the scale one particular kid in our street runs across the road from between the parked cars to get the drivers to slam on their brakes, I have seen a few people shaken by his silly actions but on the other hand he has only done it to me once because he has found out that I will not slam on my brakes. I expect him to do it every time I see him in the street and after the first occassion when he looked me straight in the eye and ran, I can only assume that his brown stained trousers has taught him a lesson.

gary_580
07-01-2004, 12:45
Not nice at all for the driver though, bet hes shaken right up.. let alone the damage to his car. Just finished learning to drive.. some of the schoolkids are right prats when they're next to the road, no appreciation at all for the drivers.. yet if one was actually to hit a child, I wonder where the blame would lie: :shrug:

happened to me once, two kids messing about, one ran into the road from between two parked cars. I managed to miss the kid as i saw him just in time however i didnt see the boy that was chasing him and flipped him up in the air. Luckly he was ok but still a very very scarey experience.

Chimaera
07-01-2004, 14:07

Yep - kids DO still get taught - I'm a Road Safety Officer! I go into schools (mainly 10 - 11 year olds cos statistics say they are the ones at risk) and do all sorts of stuff with them - including Cycling Proficiency!
Mind you at the end of the day it's still up to the kids if they take any notice or not. It's not seen to be cool to use Peilcan crossings, wear cycle helmets etc. :(

luftys
07-01-2004, 14:13
Yep - kids DO still get taught - I'm a Road Safety Officer! I go into schools (mainly 10 - 11 year olds cos statistics say they are the ones at risk) and do all sorts of stuff with them - including Cycling Proficiency!
Mind you at the end of the day it's still up to the kids if they take any notice or not. It's not seen to be cool to use Peilcan crossings, wear cycle helmets etc. :(
ahhhh so you are the one to blame :shocked:

I say keep kids at home

Stuart
07-01-2004, 21:11
I remember when I was younger (about 11 or 12), running across Wellesley Road in Croydon. On a Saturday..

Now, anyone who has been on this road on a Saturday will tell you that was rather stupid, as the road is busy. In fact, there is a subway under it and signs along the central reservation telling pedestrians to use the Subway and not attempt to cross the road..

Maggy
07-01-2004, 21:15
I remember when I was younger (about 11 or 12), running across Wellesley Road in Croydon. On a Saturday..

Now, anyone who has been on this road on a Saturday will tell you that was rather stupid, as the road is busy. In fact, there is a subway under it and signs along the central reservation telling pedestrians to use the Subway and not attempt to cross the road..

This twerp can't even claim the benefit of age as he is in Year 11 and must be at least 15. :rolleyes:

Incog. :D

Marge
07-01-2004, 21:20
This twerp can't even claim the benefit of age as he is in Year 11 and must be at least 15. :rolleyes:

In the good old days would that be 4th or 5th year ??

Stuart
07-01-2004, 21:25

Ahh, at least I was both young and stupid instead of just stupid...

I also managed not to get run over (although that was more by luck than judgement).

Maggy
07-01-2004, 21:32
In the good old days would that be 4th or 5th year ??

5th!

It goes as follows

Infant School
Reception 5 years or entry during the term nearest to the childs 5th birthday(Some infant schools may have a nursery attached which is 4-5)
Year 1 5-6
year 2 6-7

Junior School

Year 3 7-8
Year 4 8-9
Year 5 9-10
Year 6 10-11

Secondary School

Year 7 11-12 used to be 1st year
Year 8 12-13 (shudder) used to be second year
year 9 13-14 used to be third year
year 10 14-15 used to be fourth year
year 11 15-16 used to be fifth year.

Funny how the Sixth form is still called the Sixth form!!!!

Chris W
08-01-2004, 03:47
5th!

It goes as follows

Infant School
Reception 5 years or entry during the term nearest to the childs 5th birthday(Some infant schools may have a nursery attached which is 4-5)
Year 1 5-6
year 2 6-7

Junior School

Year 3 7-8
Year 4 8-9
Year 5 9-10
Year 6 10-11

Secondary School

not in all schools though... that is the strangest things! i was in year 11, then year 12, then year 13... but my mum teaches at a private school and they have all sorts of wierd classes like upper and lower 4, upper and lower 5... etc... can't get my head around it!!!

:monkey:

Maggy
08-01-2004, 19:10
not in all schools though... that is the strangest things! i was in year 11, then year 12, then year 13... but my mum teaches at a private school and they have all sorts of wierd classes like upper and lower 4, upper and lower 5... etc... can't get my head around it!!!

:monkey:

Would year 13 relate to the lower Sixth form? :rofl:

Incog.

Flubflow
08-01-2004, 19:59
5th!

It goes as follows

Infant School
Year 1 5-6
year 2 6-7

Junior School

Year 3 7-8
Year 4 8-9
Year 5 9-10
Year 6 10-11

Secondary School

Super. Now could somebody please translate the American "Grade" school years please. We have some parental control software that allows you select the basic filtering options based on the "grade" of the child rather than just plain age.

Maggy
08-01-2004, 20:07
Super. Now could somebody please translate the American "Grade" school years please. We have some parental control software that allows you select the basic filtering options based on the "grade" of the child rather than just plain age.

Errr...I still haven't worked out how they play and score American Football.

Same with Baseball(and cricket)so I guess you will have to ask someone else.

Bugblatter
08-01-2004, 22:08

Don't know, but you could try writing all the grades out in ascending order and then writing next to the lowest one 4-5, the next 5-6 etc.

It's definitely an American thing, i.e. giving simple things obscure and confusing names, but it seems to have come over here. Still, sometimes they see sense as most Americans say "car" now, instead of the absurd "automobile" which was the preferred term years ago.

Back to topic, I say 20mph speed limit near schools, in residential areas and heavily pedestrian areas such as high streets and city centres. I am constantly appalled at the speed of some drivers going past my daughters' school (usually van drivers) and it is on a residential road.

Stuart
08-01-2004, 22:28
Actually, I was nearly run over tonight by somebody in a dirty (I assume it was dirty, I couldn't see it that well) white van going quite fast with no lights..