PDA

View Full Version : Lager

Dave Stones
05-01-2004, 18:19
I was just thinking about getting a cool one out of the fridge, so I thought I would ask what everyone's favourite is...

Yes I am one of the picky ones I believe lager (carling etc) is a different class of drink to beer (john smiths) and real ale (any CAMRA folks here? :erm: )

so my favourite lager is carling :D

Lew
05-01-2004, 18:21
Stella Artois

iadom
05-01-2004, 18:21
My favourite would be the next one, still prefer real beer though.

Dave Stones
05-01-2004, 18:22
i used to drunk john smiths and tetleys etc but since i started uni i have drunk lager. get looked at strangely for drinking bitter :erm:

Xaccers
05-01-2004, 18:23
Bleurgh! Can't stand anything like beer/lager

Which is a pity as we get free stella here at work

Dave Stones
05-01-2004, 18:27
Bleurgh! Can't stand anything like beer/lager

Which is a pity as we get free stella here at work

who wants to drinnk flower-flavoured alchol though? ;)
do you work at a brewery to get it free, or is it just swiping it off the boats at the harbour? ;);)

paulyoung666
05-01-2004, 18:30
i used to drunk john smiths and tetleys etc but since i started uni i have drunk lager. get looked at strangely for drinking bitter :erm:

used to drink beer meself , but i got sick of it tasting different everywhere i used to go , so i went to lager :tu:
does anyone know the difference between stones and worthington ???????? , stones is like **** compared to worthy , my local got a new landlord and pulled a pint of worthy for me , but it was really light coloured so i told him it was stones , he argued black was white until i said let me into the cellar and i will prove it , so he did and guess what he had got the barrels the wrong way around , idiot , he never did forgive me for that :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Colin
05-01-2004, 18:30
Yes I am one of the picky ones I believe lager (carling etc) is a different class of drink to beer (john smiths) and real ale (any CAMRA folks here? :erm: )

so my favourite lager is carling :D

I'm with you mate, can't stand beer (john smiths etc) though.

Carling it is. Ooooh really want one now

Dave Stones
05-01-2004, 18:33
i used to drink john smiths (extra smooth, mind) all the time. it is something crap they have at uni though, tastes manky. also worthy's at uni is light-coloured and too fizzy. methinks the student union have been watering things down with lemonade again :erm:

Jon M
05-01-2004, 18:33
Hoegaarden

The thinking mans pint.

Dave Stones
05-01-2004, 18:36
Hoegaarden

The thinking mans pint.

beacuse you have to think to pronounce it right? ;)

Mal
05-01-2004, 18:50
Amstel or the proper Heineken, not the crap that you used to get

Xaccers
05-01-2004, 19:06
who wants to drinnk flower-flavoured alchol though? ;)
do you work at a brewery to get it free, or is it just swiping it off the boats at the harbour? ;);)

Work for a web hosting company.
We get free stella, free cola, free fruit juice, free cereals

Bifta
05-01-2004, 19:23
Harp for me (and not that rank stuff they ship over to you english people), if i'm on the mainland where Harp is rare in pubs there's normally wifebeater (watches the red rep points flood in) on tap.

keithwalton
05-01-2004, 19:35
Old peculiour or speckled hen for me or even spitfire come to think of it. Most ringwood's are scrummy too :-)

K

Bex
05-01-2004, 19:45
Work for a web hosting company.
We get free stella, free cola, free fruit juice, free cereals
your a good man to know than xac ;):p

i am a stella drinker...i know some men hate women drinking pints but like i care, i am who i am you either accept me, or you don't

used to drink carling/fosters when i was in the union bar though, because it was like a quid a pint :D

Mr_Burns
05-01-2004, 19:53
At the moment my favourite beer is Sol :drool:

Dave Stones
05-01-2004, 19:57
your a good man to know than xac ;):p

i am a stella drinker...i know some men hate women drinking pints but like i care, i am who i am you either accept me, or you don't

used to drink carling/fosters when i was in the union bar though, because it was like a quid a pint :D

pints of flower-juice ;) what happened to your taste buds? :p

i cant drink fosters, a waste of money. it is like drinking water... hence it not being in the poll :)

Bex
05-01-2004, 19:59
pints of flower-juice ;) what happened to your taste buds? :p

i cant drink fosters, a waste of money. it is like drinking water... hence it not being in the poll :)

each to their own young man :p
i like stella so :p:p:p:p:p

Shaun
05-01-2004, 19:59
Old peculiour or speckled hen for me or even spitfire come to think of it. Most ringwood's are scrummy too :-)

K

All three are very yummy, but I like a nice Ruddles County too!

Or if the pubs only got the main brands I'll have a pint of Peddy, or Tiger. Never John smith's, it tastes like poo. :p

danielf
05-01-2004, 20:03
Grolsch is favourite, but most contintental 5% lagers are ok. Not a great fan of Stella.

Got myself a few cans of Fosters once, and had to get some decent lager to wash them down. That stuff is vile!!!!

Dave Stones
05-01-2004, 20:04
each to their own young man :p
i like stella so :p:p:p:p:p

[sexist stereotype mode] well you're a woman so you should like drinking perfume ;)

[/sexist stereotype mode]

£1 a pint... only on wednesdays now im afraid... £1.50 the rest of the time now lol

:p

glentoran
05-01-2004, 20:06
CORONA!!!! or tennents

Bex
05-01-2004, 20:06
[sexist stereotype mode] well you're a woman so you should like drinking perfume ;)

[/sexist stereotype mode]

£1 a pint... only on wednesdays now im afraid... £1.50 the rest of the time now lol

:p
drinking perfume? :erm: :shurg: what????

ahh but you are at b'ham uni i was at leeds.....we had cheap drinks all year round, even better on the last day of term, drinks were reduced :D

Dave Stones
05-01-2004, 20:10
drinking perfume? :erm: :shurg: what????

ahh but you are at b'ham uni i was at leeds.....we had cheap drinks all year round, even better on the last day of term, drinks were reduced :D

personal taste... i think stella and kronenburg taste like flowers... hence u drinking perfume ;)

as for differning uni's... maybe you should pay a visit to leeds sometime, you would be shocked at the prices. leeds city centre is a rip off now, damn it for becoming the "up north" capital. :rolleyes:

last time i went out in leeds a bottle of smirnoff ice was £3.60 and a pint was £2+, and thiw was *not* on a friday or saturday. midweek when all the students should be out. :rolleyes:

*looks forward to going back to the black country, land of cheap alcohol :D

Dave Stones
05-01-2004, 20:11
CORONA!!!! or tennents

corona? oh...my...god...

thats the wufty mexican lager that you put a slice of lime in to make it taste of something isnt it? :eek:

Bex
05-01-2004, 20:13
personal taste... i think stella and kronenburg taste like flowers... hence u drinking perfume ;)

as for differning uni's... maybe you should pay a visit to leeds sometime, you would be shocked at the prices. leeds city centre is a rip off now, damn it for becoming the "up north" capital. :rolleyes:

last time i went out in leeds a bottle of smirnoff ice was £3.60 and a pint was £2+, and thiw was *not* on a friday or saturday. midweek when all the students should be out. :rolleyes:

*looks forward to going back to the black country, land of cheap alcohol :D
ahhh ok makes sense (perfume comment)

as for leeds, you went to the wrong places babe......i know all the decent bars etc, and i didnt leave leeds that long ago, only four months..... headnig back up there jan/feb sort of time, so will let ya know ;):p

iadom
05-01-2004, 20:13
leeds city centre is a rip off now, damn it for becoming the "up north" capital. :rolleyes:

That quote should be moved to "Humour":D

Dave Stones
05-01-2004, 20:15
That qoute should be moved to "Humour":D

oh dont lets start that old chestnut... everyone knows the white rose of yourkshire whipped your red butt back to ireland ;)

Dave Stones
05-01-2004, 20:17
ahhh ok makes sense (perfume comment)

as for leeds, you went to the wrong places babe......i know all the decent bars etc, and i didnt leave leeds that long ago, only four months..... headnig back up there jan/feb sort of time, so will let ya know ;):p

well my sweeping generalisation is based on going to flares in both leeds and birmingham and comparing prices. and lets not go stating about wetherspoons, we all know they are cheap as chips ;)

*sings*

Ramrod
05-01-2004, 20:19

KOh yes, Ringwoods.....mmmmmm

Bex
05-01-2004, 20:20
well my sweeping generalisation is based on going to flares in both leeds and birmingham and comparing prices. and lets not go stating about wetherspoons, we all know they are cheap as chips ;)

*sings*

you are comparing based solely on flares...hmmmmm

anyway this is all :notopic:..although you started it and it's your thread :erm: if you wish to discuss the merits of brum over leeds pm me :p

and btw tried to rep you for your reply to iadom but have to spread it around before i can rep ya again :cry:

iadom
05-01-2004, 20:38
oh dont lets start that old chestnut... everyone knows the white rose of yourkshire whipped your red butt back to ireland ;)The last time I saw the scorecard it said Henry VII one - Richard III nil, result Lancashire win the Battle of the Roses.:p

Jerrek
05-01-2004, 22:58
No European beers for me, thanks. I hate DAB, and I hate Heineken, and pretty much dislike all European beers. I do like British ales though. Ale > lager.

Marge
05-01-2004, 23:04
I have no preference, I will drink just about anything, spirits, lager, beer, cider, wine :erm: :drunk:

luftys
05-01-2004, 23:38
I have no preference, I will drink just about anything, spirits, lager, beer, cider, wine :erm: :drunk:
just like me :angel: but you missed out the best..Floor polish,meths :disturbd:

carlingman
06-01-2004, 00:33
:shrug: Well i think my username kinda gives it away :shrug:

Although I keep on being told it is not recommened to drink half a gallon a night.

:D

Paul
06-01-2004, 00:59
Can't stand Beer or Lager.

If i'm out then it's either Cider or Cola. At home I drink mostly white wine & Asti Spumate (or sometimes Martini). :)

paulyoung666
06-01-2004, 09:01
No European beers for me, thanks. I hate DAB, and I hate Heineken, and pretty much dislike all European beers. I do like British ales though. Ale > lager.

wrong way round my mate , british beer ---- brown / dark brown , lager ------ yellow / pale yellow , lager is heinekin etc :)

glentoran
06-01-2004, 09:27
i think he meant ale greater than lager! anyway best drink is jd and coke. As for carlingman in my totally unqualified opinion it is perfectly healthy to drink half a gallon a night, otherwise make it a whole gallon every other night to make sure you dont get any blood in your alcohol stream

paulyoung666
06-01-2004, 09:35
i think he meant ale greater than lager! anyway best drink is jd and coke. As for carlingman in my totally unqualified opinion it is perfectly healthy to drink half a gallon a night, otherwise make it a whole gallon every other night to make sure you dont get any blood in your alcohol stream

you put coke in jack daniel's :shocking:

dodgyboy
06-01-2004, 09:40
LAGER!!! :sick:
Hmmm Cider :drool:

2 votes for cider on the list looks like I'm not the only 12 year old here then :D

Stuart
06-01-2004, 10:33
I tend to drink Guinness or lager (happy with pretty much any).

Failing that, I will happily drink almost anything (apart from Banks beer, which I have only seen in one club and was violently sick after four bottles without actually getting drunk).

Atomic22
06-01-2004, 20:22
carlsberg floats my boat
along with bud , 1664 or rolling rock
most of the arm-patch brigade around my area drink the local brew from marstons that puts you on the toilet all night if you have more than one pint of it.....however for some reason "real" ale buffs seem to like pedigree ewwwww
oh boddys is ok too as a non-lager
you got veins in ya bodys i got boddys in me veins

Dave Stones
06-01-2004, 20:26
LAGER!!! :sick:
Hmmm Cider :drool:

2 votes for cider on the list looks like I'm not the only 12 year old here then :D

who doesnt remember drinking fake white lightning on street corners? ;)

*puts his hand up, we never drank on the corners, always in a nice warm house

Mayfly
07-01-2004, 02:16
I prefer to drink Cider, but if I did have to pick a type of Lager I would choose Stella

Atomic22
07-01-2004, 20:51
who doesnt remember drinking fake white lightning on street corners? ;)
fake cider? thats called p aint it?
we used to take a giant bottle of woodpecker to house parties when we were kids....strongbow if we were flushed......might as well have flushed it and cut out the middleman

homealone
07-01-2004, 21:13
fake cider? thats called p aint it?
we used to take a giant bottle of woodpecker to house parties when we were kids....strongbow if we were flushed......might as well have flushed it and cut out the middleman

or the 'gatecrashers special' - a Party Seven;) :sick:

Dave Stones
07-01-2004, 21:34

excuse me for being young, but... "party seven"? :shrug:

homealone
07-01-2004, 21:38
excuse me for being young, but... "party seven"? :shrug:

a large can, full of 7 pints of the most awful beer (e.g. Worthington 'E').

What can I say - 'way back then' we didn't know any better;)

Dave Stones
07-01-2004, 21:52
a large can, full of 7 pints of the most awful beer (e.g. Worthington 'E').

What can I say - 'way back then' we didn't know any better;)

so it would be the equivalent of 7 pints of skol nowadays then?

*shudders violently*

Stuart
07-01-2004, 21:54
You sound like you had one too many party sevens...

homealone
07-01-2004, 22:06
You sound like you had one too many party sevens...

hmm the beer was so weak you needed more than one;)

iadom
07-01-2004, 23:19
excuse me for being young, but... "party seven"? :shrug:here you are, a picture I took of some mates in a tent in Abersoch in 1969.

aliferste
07-01-2004, 23:51
Lager and beer taste like ****.........Cider tastes like a lovely sunset after a roasting hot day :)

homealone
08-01-2004, 00:10
here you are, a picture I took of some mates in a tent in Abersoch in 1969.

naaa - those are only 'party fours' :D

- that's a brilliant piccy iadom :)

Marge
08-01-2004, 00:13
Check out the sideburns on the chap in the middle :erm: Top pic :tu:

Julian
08-01-2004, 00:23
Strongbow got my vote. :)

homealone
08-01-2004, 00:28
Strongbow got my vote. :)

then came

'can I mourn your decline, with some Thunderbird wine .......'

Julian
08-01-2004, 00:33
then came

'can I mourn your decline, with some Thunderbird wine .......'

And a black handkerchief? :)

tbh I would rather drink (red) wine... but that's another matter. :D

danielf
08-01-2004, 00:48
here you are, a picture I took of some mates in a tent in Abersoch in 1969.

Erm, you got it wrong. You need to pierce a hole in the bottom of the cans, then connect them with a piece of rope, stand as far away from each other as possible (be sure to , and then one person talks, the other listens. :p

It looks sooo much like you guys are talking into the cans. They are empty aren't they (if you remember after 30 odd years)?

Chimaera
08-01-2004, 00:57
You havent got a category for Bacardi Breezers!! :drunk:

iadom
08-01-2004, 01:50
Erm, you got it wrong. You need to pierce a hole in the bottom of the cans, then connect them with a piece of rope, stand as far away from each other as possible (be sure to , and then one person talks, the other listens. :p

It looks sooo much like you guys are talking into the cans. They are empty aren't they (if you remember after 30 odd years)?Ah, It seems like only yesterday, the cans where a blue and yellow colour, just like cans of Duckhams 20/50, another one for the younger members to ponder on:)
In fact Abersoch was in a "dry" county and no alcohol could be sold on a Sunday, we purcheased what we thought was enough beer to last the weekend but drank it all on Saturday. We had to drive 30 miles to the nearest "wet" county for further supplies.:D
Here is a picture of the table in the tent from Saturday night, check out the Newky Brown.

http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=71

Marge
08-01-2004, 01:56
Ah, It seems like only yesterday, the cans where a blue and yellow colour, just like cans of Duckhams 20/50, another one for the younger members to ponder on:)
In fact Abersoch was in a "dry" county and no alcohol could be sold on a Sunday, we purcheased what we thought was enough beer to last the weekend but drank it all on Saturday. We had to drive 30 miles to the nearset "wet" county for further supplies.:D
Here is a picture of the table in the tent from Saturday night, check out the Newky Brown.

http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=71

you obviously knew how to party :tu:

iadom
08-01-2004, 01:58
you obviously knew how to party :tu:
Still do , given the chance.:naughty: :angel:

danielf
08-01-2004, 02:23
We had to drive 30 miles to the nearset "wet" county for further supplies

Ah, so they were empty ;)

It looks like a picture my parents 'forgot' to put in the album (born in '65 here, so old by many people's measure). Still the radio looks so familiar, it must have been top of the range at the time, as I recall playing around with valve radios in the late 70s...

homealone
08-01-2004, 02:33
Still do , given the chance.:naughty: :angel:

7th feb for you too? village people rule ok? :D

Dave Stones
08-01-2004, 10:21
You havent got a category for Bacardi Breezers!! :drunk:

cos its a thread about lager... you go in the "teetotal/none of the above" section, as bacardi breezers are quite obviously pop...:p

i am only partial to the blue-coloured pop-ahol ;)

paulyoung666
08-01-2004, 10:27
cos its a thread about lager... you go in the "teetotal/none of the above" section, as bacardi breezers are quite obviously pop...:p

i am only partial to the blue-coloured pop-ahol ;)

the meths flavoured one you mean :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Dave Stones
08-01-2004, 10:32
the meths flavoured one you mean :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

its just the easiest one to get rid of if some fool buys you it first. my alcohol of choice when i go out is snakebite but there we are. "up noorth" they call it diesel for some strange reason, or dont sell it :rolleyes:

i would start a thread about your favourite pop-ahol but i cant be arsed... :eek:

paulyoung666
08-01-2004, 10:37
its just the easiest one to get rid of if some fool buys you it first. my alcohol of choice when i go out is snakebite but there we are. "up noorth" they call it diesel for some strange reason, or dont sell it :rolleyes:

i would start a thread about your favourite pop-ahol but i cant be arsed... :eek:

snakebite is lager and cider , yeah , im sure diesel has blackcurrant in it as well , well i think so , maybe :spin: :confused: :eek:

Dave Stones
08-01-2004, 10:49
i know what snakebite is :|. tastes nicer with blackcurrant in too, then its "snakebite and black" ;)

diesel is basically snakbite and black... but sounds "harder" cos its up north lol.

it has to be good lager and good cider though, woodpecker and heineken just won't cut it...

paulyoung666
08-01-2004, 10:58
i know what snakebite is :|. tastes nicer with blackcurrant in too, then its "snakebite and black" ;)

diesel is basically snakbite and black... but sounds "harder" cos its up north lol.

it has to be good lager and good cider though, woodpecker and heineken just won't cut it...

thats what i said diesel has blackcurrant in it , and we are harder up north :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dave Stones
08-01-2004, 11:04
im from the centre of hardness, mirfield
:rolleyes:

i just moved to birmingham ;)

Stuart
08-01-2004, 11:07
As well as Guiness and Lager, I also like various spirits including Bacardi, Whisky and Vodka (although not all at once :sick:)

Bison Voddie is particularly nice..

iadom
08-01-2004, 11:12
7th feb for you too? village people rule ok? :DI am tempted, quite local but not sure of commitments just yet.

iadom
08-01-2004, 11:17
Ah, so they were empty ;)

It looks like a picture my parents 'forgot' to put in the album (born in '65 here, so old by many people's measure). Still the radio looks so familiar, it must have been top of the range at the time, as I recall playing around with valve radios in the late 70s...
Have not looked at this picture for a while, noticed that along with the kettle and the radio, there is a tin of Marvel, "ugh" and a small plastic "No Smoking" sign that we must have borrowed;) from somewhere.

Back on topic... there is no sign whatsoever of any Lager on that table, the only lager widely available in those days was, if I recall Harp, and only girlies drank that :D

Stuart
08-01-2004, 12:24
Have not looked at this picture for a while, noticed that along with the kettle and the radio, there is a tin of Marvel, "ugh" and a small plastic "No Smoking" sign that we must have borrowed;) from somewhere.

Back on topic... there is no sign whatsoever of any Lager on that table, the only lager widely available in those days was, if I recall Harp, and only girlies drank that :D
Wasn't their slogan something like "Drink Harp Stay Sharp"?

orangebird
08-01-2004, 12:37
TsingTao - chinese lager. Yummy! :D