PDA

View Full Version : Here's an interesting thing...

Graham
04-01-2004, 22:30
Earlier this evening (having just got back from London) I checked my business line answerphone messages.

As usual someone had hung up without leaving a message, so, just out of interest, I did a 1471 to see if I recognised the number.

I was surprised when the number was given as: 001 416 xxx xxxx

Now as far as I'm aware, that's a US dialling prefix, but I've never had an international number come up before, it's always been "we do not have the number" instead.

Has anyone else heard of this happening?

Pritch
04-01-2004, 22:44
+1 416 is actually Toronto, for what it's worth.

As for international numbers being left on 1471, it's a bit of a mixed bag. As an international call routes through so many different switches, there's a high chance of the data not being forwarded by any one of those switches, but occasionally the data does get through.

asdf
05-01-2004, 00:07
Most times it gets lost and you get the "we do not have the number" but sometimes I've got the number. Mostly from the US.

Graham
05-01-2004, 00:39
+1 416 is actually Toronto, for what it's worth.

Interesting. I wonder who would be phoning from Canada...?! :)

As for international numbers being left on 1471, it's a bit of a mixed bag.

Fair enough, I've just never had it happen before.

Thanks for the info anyway.

Xaccers
05-01-2004, 01:10
Jerrek? Maybe he's tracked you down! Run! Run while you can!

freeair
05-01-2004, 15:10
Interesting. I wonder who would be phoning from Canada...?! :)

Fair enough, I've just never had it happen before.

Thanks for the info anyway.

Probably offering you a 'free' mobile phone and digital camera :)

I answered my phone over the holiday period and was asked "Hold please, I have a call for you" which struck me as odd but I got the impression it was an international call.

The guy who then spoke had either a US or Canadian accent and was offering a free mobile phone and digital camera, of the 'free' bit was free until you factored in the contract costs etc.

Graham
05-01-2004, 18:11
Jerrek? Maybe he's tracked you down! Run! Run while you can!

Pah! I have a bullwhip and I'm not afraid to use it!!

Graham
05-01-2004, 18:13
I answered my phone over the holiday period and was asked "Hold please, I have a call for you" which struck me as odd but I got the impression it was an international call.

The guy who then spoke had either a US or Canadian accent and was offering a free mobile phone and digital camera, of the 'free' bit was free until you factored in the contract costs etc.

Unless they've got a very cheap phone deal, if they want to phone me up at international rates I'm quite happy to put them on hold and let them waste their money!