PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone been chased by NTL for a old STB?

Maggy
03-01-2004, 13:12
I ask because in thread http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/showthread.php?p=107599#post107599 in post 5 someone points out that as the STB belongs to NTL after cancellation that the ex customer is liable for any damage to said STB.
I have lost count of how many times ex-customers have claimed to still have the STB and paraphanalia because NTL haven't collected them so I was wondering HAS anyone actually been pursued by NTL for the return of equipment and have they EVER done anything about damage to NTL STBs

Incog :)

grum1978
03-01-2004, 13:15
I have heard of ntl chasing customer for stb's so it does happen

Maggy
03-01-2004, 13:25
I really wanted something more than hearsay and I was wondering if any ex-customers had any direct experience.I suspect that there are more STBs sitting gathering dust in peoples homes than actual customers homes.

I can't help feeling that if they DON'T come and collect the STB and it's still their property then I think perhaps charging THEM rental until they collect it might be an idea to make them shift themselves to act more like a money making business.Or not.

Incog. :)

grum1978
03-01-2004, 13:29
I really wanted something more than hearsay and I was wondering if any ex-customers had any direct experience.I suspect that there are more STBs sitting gathering dust in peoples homes than actual customers homes.

I can't help feeling that if they DON'T come and collect the STB and it's still their property then I think perhaps charging THEM rental until they collect it might be an idea to make them shift themselves to act more like a money making business.Or not.

Incog. :)

Sorry i work for ntl and ntl do chase ppl for stb's is that better for you :rolleyes:

Nemesis
03-01-2004, 13:34
When I changed Franchise, they did come and collect it from the New address, about a week after we moved in. So I suppose it probably depends on the Franchise.

Maggy
03-01-2004, 13:36
SO why do I keep hearing about STBs not collected and how come so many are ending up on eBay? :shrug:

Incog. :Peaceman:

Nemesis
03-01-2004, 13:39
SO why do I keep hearing about STBs not collected and how come so many are ending up on eBay? :shrug:

I reckon it's really down to the individual Franchise ... and if someone moves and doesn't give the right address etc etc ... There are always ways.

When I was up North and moved South, we took the box with us, cos they told us to, as we hoped to use NTL again.

The New place got cabled, but the Engineer said he didn't want the box .... in the end we ditched it.

Bifta
03-01-2004, 13:48

Wouldn't surprise me, I've got an NTL cable modem sitting here, despite several phone calls 6 months ago they've never bothered coming to get it. I'd just take it down the local tip and if they ever chase it tell them an engineer has already removed it, let's face it, if they havent got enough organisational skills to come and pick it up then they're hardly going to be able to trace if they've received it back, and besides why should we have NTL's junk littering our house!

Maggy
03-01-2004, 16:50
Anymore for anymore?

Incog.:)

Ramrod
03-01-2004, 16:56
I'm waiting for on digital to get their old box (2yrs later) :shrug:

Bifta
03-01-2004, 17:06

Didnt they make a big stink about charging people who didn't return them at the time?

DrAwesome
03-01-2004, 17:07
I was told a few weeks ago (by my local NTL franchise) that they are not going to collect the Ambit i have and they dont collect ex customer un-used ntl bb modems..

Im thinking of charging NTL rental because while this modem is in my house under ntl T&C's if it gets damaged i will have to pay for the repair.

Just think of the money NTL will save if they collected their rental equipement when its no longer used.

Julian
03-01-2004, 17:11
I used to have 2 x stb's.

After I had cancelled one ntl made 3 appointments to collect the stb but either failed to show or came at the wrong time. :rolleyes:

They called me again and I refused to make another appointment - I suggested to them that I would be prepared to post the stb back to them if they credited my account with £15.00 to cover my expenses.

They agreed to this and I posted the stb back to the Brighton office.

2 Days later I received a cheque from ntl to cover the postage. :D

Well done ntl - eventually. :)

grum1978
03-01-2004, 18:31
I was told a few weeks ago (by my local NTL franchise) that they are not going to collect the Ambit i have and they dont collect ex customer un-used ntl bb modems..

Im thinking of charging NTL rental because while this modem is in my house under ntl T&C's if it gets damaged i will have to pay for the repair.

Just think of the money NTL will save if they collected their rental equipement when its no longer used.

I think you will find that it would cost ntl more to get a tech to come round and collect it than for them to buy a new one. So in this case them telling you to throw away your modem is logical but stb's however are worth more money so they will always want to collect these :)

lemarsh
03-01-2004, 19:30
Didn't the ITV companies (Granada & Carlton) pay a sum to the liquidators of ITV Digital (nee On Digital) so that the people could keep them?

Found the page.... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/2675071.stm

ABitWeird
17-01-2004, 11:38
I pursued NTL for around three months trying to get them to take my digital STB away following a house move - does that count ? They failed to deliver on any of the promises made and frankly I got bored of ringing them again and again to collect their property. It's now in a cupboard gathering dust.