PDA

View Full Version : One for the armchair experts!

Russ
01-01-2004, 20:17
Apart from when asked by the police, are there any other circumstances when I'm legally required to give my full name and address?

Bex
01-01-2004, 20:18
when opening any kind of bank out......

Xaccers
01-01-2004, 20:19
Is that actually a legal requirement bex?

Russ, when filling out the census form :)

Bex
01-01-2004, 20:20
Is that actually a legal requirement bex?

was just wondering that actually....nearly edited....
i guess that if you want to open a bank account/get a loan/mortgage etc...then it is a requirement but not sure whether it is a legal one :erm:

Graham
01-01-2004, 20:28
Apart from when asked by the police, are there any other circumstances when I'm legally required to give my full name and address?

That depends on what you mean!

For instance if you want to apply for a bank account/ credit card etc then you are required to supply your name and address under the "money laundering" laws.

However, to the best of my knowledge (although IANAL, so don't take this as gospel) nobody can *require* you to give that information just because "they want it".

I thought there was something about this on the Liberty website, but all I can find is http://www.liberty-human-rights.org.uk/issues/section-44-searches.shtml which is about "Section 44" searches, which is actually for prevention of terrorism (see: http://www.liberty-human-rights.org.uk/issues/right-to-protest.shtml ) but which may be used to harass those who are exercising their right to peaceful protest.

fireman328
01-01-2004, 20:35

When involved in a non injury RTA you must exchange details.
(Sect. 172 Road Traffic Act 1991)

Sociable
01-01-2004, 20:38
I believe there may also be a requirement to exchange such details at the scene of any road accident but not sure exactly what that requirement is.

You will also find that certain other "officals" also carry the same powers as the police, and in some cases even more so, a good example being Customs and Excise officers.

DrAwesome
01-01-2004, 20:41

this must be a trick question?

when picking up a prescription from the pharmancy

self admission to a hospital

to ntl, cc company/storecard company or sky before they will discuss your account.

when hiring a rental car and video/dvd/game from a video/dvd/game rental store etc..

paulyoung666
01-01-2004, 20:45

out of curiosity .......... why do you ask :)

Escapee
01-01-2004, 21:04

Is it a legal requirement?

I guess it is if you are being arrested/charged, but I was just wondering if a policeman asked you in the street do you legally have to supply it. Then again I suppose you would be arrested on suspicion of something or other if you refused.

I remember a local club in my younger days being raided and they were after
underage drinkers. I remember one teenager saying his name was John Wayne and he lived at the Ponda Rosa, they didn't arrest him but just told him to clear off. :D

Kneebs
01-01-2004, 21:11
this must be a trick question?

when picking up a prescription from the pharmancy

self admission to a hospital

to ntl, cc company/storecard company or sky before they will discuss your account.

when hiring a rental car and video/dvd/game from a video/dvd/game rental store etc..

I think Russ is meaning when he would be required by law to give his details - in these cases you could refuse and (more than likely) not get the services you requested

Bex
01-01-2004, 21:12
=For instance if you want to apply for a bank account/ credit card etc then you are required to supply your name and address under the "money laundering" laws.
thats the one the money laundering act.....:tu: ta for that

Tricky
01-01-2004, 21:19
thats the one the money laundering act.....:tu: ta for that

Not a legal requirement but they won't let you open an account without giving an address when opening the account. Same with Credit references.

DrAwesome
01-01-2004, 21:24
I should think in a court of law under oath a judge or council can ask you to verify your name and address for the record.

then again you can refuse & suffer the consequences

Bex
01-01-2004, 21:27
Not a legal requirement but they won't let you open an account without giving an address when opening the account. Same with Credit references.
yaha i know that...which is why i posted that it was and then thought maybe it wasn't....will ask my manager at work tomorrow :D

Paul
01-01-2004, 21:30
You must supply it if registering a birth or death and also if applying for a passport.

hoggyspuds
01-01-2004, 21:33

applying for a passport?

Tricky
01-01-2004, 21:49

How about when doing the following:
Applicant for planning permission?
Submitting a record at the Land Registry?

DrAwesome
01-01-2004, 21:52
I think Russ is meaning when he would be required by law to give his details - in these cases you could refuse and (more than likely) not get the services you requested

Good job i didnt add to my list when mailing a letter to himself :) under the Patent Act law 1988 registering an invention.

Russ
01-01-2004, 21:54

This is what I mean - for banks, passports, registering births etc I could just turn around and walk out. I'm just wondering if there are any situations where I have a legal requirement to give my details which upon refusal could see me in trouble, such as when asked by a police officer.

Escapee
01-01-2004, 21:57
This is what I mean - for banks, passports, registering births etc I could just turn around and walk out. I'm just wondering if there are any situations where I have a legal requirement to give my details which upon refusal could see me in trouble, such as when asked by a police officer.

My question taking yours a bit further as I already asked was.

Do you have to legally give your details to a policeman who asks you in the street?

I know it would be a legal obligation if you were arrested/charged but was not sure of the legalities when just being asked by a policeman.

Russ
01-01-2004, 21:59

Do you have to legally give your details to a policeman who asks you in the street?

I know it would be a legal obligation if you were arrested/charged but was not sure of the legalities when just being asked by a policeman.

Not sure if you must do it if stopped in the street but if you're charged with something and you don't give the info they want, your slience can be used against you, hence "It could harm your defence if you fail to mention something you later rely on in court etc".

Tricky
01-01-2004, 22:01

With banks it would depend on how far you get with the application, they would ultimately ask you for "Proof" of address (driving licence etc) if you then say "Sorry I no longer want to do this" It may raise questions and therefore they may flag the fact that you applied on a central register which other banks/building societies can access. I know the software is called "Hunter" and is generally used by Audit departments (there is some scary details in that system).

I don't remember providing any proof of address when I registered my son, although they did check the records that the hospital had sent them (more for single person uniqueness I think) - Again I could have changed all these prior to going in (the wife not me!).

What are you going to do Russ? :rofl:

DrAwesome
01-01-2004, 22:01

he doesnt have to give his name and address he could just turn around and walk away or run :)

If the police officer doesnt give a reason your not required by law to give your name and address you can refuse.

you can also refuse to go to the local police station if asked by a police officer... the police officer has to formally charge you and he has to also give you a reason (http://www.yourrights.org.uk/your-rights/chapters/the-rights-of-suspects/police-powers-of-arrest/information_to_be_given_on_arr.shtml) why he is charging/arresting you.

Bex
01-01-2004, 22:03
he could just turn around and walk or run :)

ahh but that would only cause them to chase him and make him look suspicious :p

Sociable

That's what I assumed in my first reply as the only two that fit that description are when another person such as a Customs & Excise Officer or Officer of the Court such as a bailff asks for it as they have special powers equal to or even above the Police. And secondly in situations like road traffic accidents where there is also a duty to provide the information to all interested parties.

Can't think of any other situations where there is a requirement under law to give the details without some additional reason ie what you want to do rather than you have already done. LOL

Russ
With banks it would depend on how far you get with the application, they would ultimately ask you for "Proof" of address (driving licence etc) if you then say "Sorry I no longer want to do this" It may raise questions and therefore they may flag the fact that you applied on a central register which other banks/building societies can access. I know the software is called "Hunter" and is generally used by Audit departments (there is some scary details in that system).

No no, if I did the above it wouldn't directly lead me in to trouble. I'm after any other scenarios where failure to disclose my details would be an offence.

As for bailiffs, you don't have to tell them anything, in fact silence just winds those idiots up :D

And I'm not up to anything, it's just a question I saw in today's Daily Mail :)

Paul
01-01-2004, 23:18
You are legally required to register births and deaths, and hence give your name & address.

Russ
02-01-2004, 07:55
Not if the birth/death has nothing to do with me!!!

So no, not births or deaths :)

MovedGoalPosts
02-01-2004, 10:23

If you have committed an offence, however trivial even just dropping a sweet wrapper, you will have to give your name and address, and indeed any other information necessary to enable the police officer to identify you to enable the subsequent service of a summons. If you refuse to give your details, or the police officer cannot satisfactorily establish identity, the officer has a "conditional power of arrest" under the PACE act, which lasts until such time as your identity is established. Therefore you do not have to give your identity, but if you don't and you have committed an offence, you can find yourself being arrested.

If you are just walking down the street, the officer cannot demand your details, but again if you do refuse, he / she is going to get quite suspicious and you may find your self answering a few probing questions, and if you ran off, the officer might well be able to detain you simply on "suspicion" of having done something depending on the circumstances.

I anticipate that there will be legal powers granted to a number of other officials, such as Custom & Excise, Courts, etc. Organisations such as banks, companies, etc will not have a legal power to demand your identity, but i you want the service those organisations provide, they can impose conditions on you to facilitate the contract they creat with you, which includes establishing identity.

Any one who holds a driving licence should know the obligations if they have an accident - check the highway code!

Paul
02-01-2004, 15:52
Not if the birth/death has nothing to do with me!!!
So no, not births or deaths :)
Sorry Russ but that answer is just plain stupid - you asked for circumstances when your are legally required to give your full name and address?. Registering a birth or death is such a circumstance.

Following your logic you are never going to have a circumstance when your are required to give your name & address - you can just say "not if the circumstance mentioned doesn't happen" or it "has nothing to do with me". :rolleyes: