PDA

View Full Version : Why is NTHELLWORLD.com still down

joe2cool
01-01-2004, 11:16
Hi just wondering why Why is NTLHELLWORLD.com still down ?

http://www.nthellworld.com/forum/index.php

:)

Jon T
01-01-2004, 11:19
Does anyone care?

I don't! :)

Florence
01-01-2004, 11:22

Maybe the same reason that their community site is down. NTL want to silence the customers, or it was because what they did broke the law on the Data Protection act and it was the easiest way to try and stay out of trouble. Maybe they havenââ‚ƚ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t got a clue how to run a forum/community as it takes
Communication between them and customers there again your guess is as good as mine. I used to think it would be back now I think it will come as a shock if they remember to renew the domain name when its due.

DrAwesome
01-01-2004, 11:25

The short version
It's NTL way of imposing their authority/dominance on customers (forum members of NTHw).

Russ
01-01-2004, 11:38
.com is dead - in more than one sense. Even if they brought it back, I can't see it gathering enough momentum to get back to it's former glory. I honestly think this site has surpassed it in terms of help and assistance.

paulyoung666
01-01-2004, 11:42
.com is dead - in more than one sense. Even if they brought it back, I can't see it gathering enough momentum to get back to it's former glory. I honestly think this site has surpassed it in terms of help and assistance.

:tu:

Paul
01-01-2004, 12:23
..... I honestly think this site has surpassed it in terms of help and assistance.
Really ? I thought the CLT team on .com was one of the few good things about it - I don't see anything the same on this site - yes there are a few NTL people offering (unofficial ?) help but no official team.

I also do not think that telling someone who comes to this site looking for help with their ntl products that "ntl are crap, move to adsl" is particularly helpful - if someone comes asking for alternatives that is a different matter - but too many now seem to shoot ntl first and then think about helping later.

Bigtone
01-01-2004, 12:27
Really ? I thought the CLT team on .com was one of the few good things about it - I don't see anything the same on this site - yes there are a few NTL people offering (unofficial ?) help but no official team.

I also do not think that telling someone who comes to this site looking for help with their ntl products that "ntl are crap, move to adsl" is particularly helpful - if someone comes asking for alternatives that is a different matter - but too many now seem to shoot ntl first and then think about helping later.

Sorry I disagree, help is on here.

Mick
01-01-2004, 12:36

I would also disagree with this pem.

Sociable
01-01-2004, 12:38
Its a compromise Pem.

I agreee there is less "official" help here than used to be available there but there is absolutely no help official or otherwise from com now so we may as well make the best of things here.

Yes some will offer alternatives but on balance most help is still about providing help to sort the existing connection far as I can see.

Bifta
01-01-2004, 12:40
It's a shame the Xmas version of PC Format was still advertising nthellworld.com as the premier speak out against NTL site, well, until I realised they probably run 2-3 months behind with each issue.

Mick
01-01-2004, 13:10
There might not be any 'official' help but at least this site gives, customers a chance to air their views and give constructive criticism. The CLT was a positive side of .com but ntl obviously thought otherwise, IMO - they decided to rush the launch of community after Frank had sent screenshots of the new face lift of .com in May (that sadly never went live) and a few weeks of the CLT being appointed on to the site. I can only assume that someone high up within ntl did not want nthellworld.com to develop into a real online customer help site while still holding the constructive criticism discussion element.

There might not be any 'official' help but this site gives the chance for customers to:-

Air their views.
Share experiences.
Provide unofficial help, but it is still help nonetheless.
Provide solutions.
Provide suggestions.
Be part of a real community.

The team had the insight that ntl wanted .com closed, even though they changed their minds at the very last minute. (The thought that they had planned to close it means it was still in their minds) We created nthellworld.co.uk because we did not want to lose everything and what 'nthellworld' was all about.

etccarmageddon
01-01-2004, 13:36

I agree it's a shame Ashley killed off the CLT - for whatever reasons, he/NTL didnt want to continue to provide it - I suspect this proves pettyness and internal politics at NTL are more important than customers.

is it really that bad here - do you have examples of this cos I havent seen it.

but then if it is happening - can you blame people for having such ill feeling to the company that shut down their customer web site?

dilli-theclaw
01-01-2004, 13:52
I've found this site to be more useful and um - 'nice' than the other one was.

Help if you want it....
Discussion if you want it....

Nice and fluffy.

petevick
01-01-2004, 14:06
Is this site - http://www.ntlhell.co.uk/forums/ - not live then ???

Bigtone
01-01-2004, 14:09
Looks like it but what bearing does it have on this discussion? :shrug:

Sociable
01-01-2004, 14:19
Is this site - http://www.ntlhell.co.uk/forums/ - not live then ???

That's not an "Official" site either :)

Both "Official" sites are down .com on hold for two (NTL) weeks and "Community" disappeared off the face of the earth. :)

Russ
01-01-2004, 14:26

I for one don't require a title to help someone - if those who are able to assist will only do so if they are in a gang, group of have such a title as 'CLT' then you have to question their motives.

There are plenty of people here who have a wealth of knowledge, and many of the old CLT have come forward behind the scenes and offered their services.

As for "ntl are crap, move to adsl", this is an opinion and people are allowed to express them. Has there been anyone on here who has failed to get assistance or at least some progress with their NTL-related problem?

Bex
01-01-2004, 14:46
I've found this site to be more useful and um - 'nice' than the other one was.

Help if you want it....
Discussion if you want it....

Nice and fluffy.

i agree with you dilligaf....i much prefer this site, i prefer the atmosphere here and the sense of community that has developed......(if you don;t believe me, one only has to look at kronie's "what to do" thread, were a lot of people offered their support to him)

i am sad for frank's sake that .com is gone, because it was his baby and ntl ruined it.... but as this forum's logo shows, we are rising from the ashes and doing a fine job i think

i have found the guys here helpful whenever i have had a problem with the ntl.... so i don't see it as any diff from .com in that sense

Shaun
01-01-2004, 16:01
Really ? <snip>I don't see anything the same on this site <snip>

Really?? Have a look at this thread (http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4912&highlight=post) and this post (http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/showpost.php?p=97989&postcount=12) specifically. :dozey:

You never got CLT posting bits out in the post to customers on the other site, or Admins offering to send a remote out as has happened in another thread recently.

IMHO this is THE Ntl customer site to come to for help and advice from both customers and trained Ntl staff.

:cool: :cool: :angel:

DrAwesome
01-01-2004, 16:32
Really?? Have a look at this thread (http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4912&highlight=post) and this post (http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/showpost.php?p=97989&postcount=12) specifically. :dozey:

You never got CLT posting bits out in the post to customers on the other site, or Admins offering to send a remote out as has happened in another thread recently.

IMHO this is THE Ntl customer site to come to for help and advice from both customers and trained Ntl staff.

:cool: :cool: :angel:

I for one really enjoyed reading that thread as it was developing A damn good thread & example dellwear :tu:

I do miss Helpy Persons regular every day helping posts though :cry:

rodd
01-01-2004, 16:43

I also do not think that telling someone who comes to this site looking for help with their ntl products that "ntl are crap, move to adsl" is particularly helpful - if someone comes asking for alternatives that is a different matter - but too many now seem to shoot ntl first and then think about helping later.On the contrary, it is helpful to try to assist people with their current problem, which the site does. It is also helpful to enlighten them of their alternatives, should they so desire. The site is being as fully informative as possible.

It would be completely wrong for the site, not to fully inform people of their options. The site does assist with their current problem, but also makes them aware of their options, should problems keep recurring.

I can't understand why anyone would want to keep people in the dark of all their alternatives. The site helps them and patches them up, but they are, and should be made aware of what the long-term cure may be. A cure that may not only be better, but cheaper as well. It is very helpful for them to know.

Who would deny them that?

Paul
01-01-2004, 18:05
Hmm, it seems people mostly managed to miss the point slightly.

I did not say there was no help on this site since there quite obviously is - most of it being very good as well - but where ntl employees are concerned - it is now all unofficial help

My post was to specifically point out that there is no official help - and therefore (and in reply to the point I quoted) IMO this site has not suppased the help that was available on the .com site. This is not the same as saying there is no help or that the help is not useful.

I also said there have been cases of people coming to this site with a problem and the first reply being along the lines of dump ntl, get adsl - I did not say (or imply) that this was common, but it has happened.

The two examples in my memory ( which I can't seem to find now :rolleyes: ) were in late November and early December so maybe this no longer happens, I certainly hope not - I can't think of any in the last two or three weeks.

Sociable
01-01-2004, 18:14
Fair point pem and sorry if we appeared to gang up on you it wasn't meant that way. :)

Russ
01-01-2004, 22:21
Hmm, it seems people mostly managed to miss the point slightly.

I did not say there was no help on this site since there quite obviously is - most of it being very good as well - but where ntl employees are concerned - it is now all unofficial help

My post was to specifically point out that there is no official help - and therefore (and in reply to the point I quoted) IMO this site has not suppased the help that was available on the .com site. This is not the same as saying there is no help or that the help is not useful.

I also said there have been cases of people coming to this site with a problem and the first reply being along the lines of dump ntl, get adsl - I did not say (or imply) that this was common, but it has happened.

The two examples in my memory ( which I can't seem to find now :rolleyes: ) were in late November and early December so maybe this no longer happens, I certainly hope not - I can't think of any in the last two or three weeks.

I'll agree that there is no official help right now as I'm sure the NTL employees are a little nervous about posting such offers here and of course we no longer have the official channels in to NTL that we once enjoyed, but we still have the contact information of all the people who offered help on .com, so it's not like the assistance is out of reach.

ntluser
01-01-2004, 23:17
The sad thing for me about .com is that I was able to PM people there who didn't come across to NTHW.co.uk. Now that .com is down I have no way of contacting them.

I was able to PM one particular contact daily but haven't been able to do so since November 25th. I really hope that the site does go back online and hopefully soon.

Sociable
02-01-2004, 00:10
The sad thing for me about .com is that I was able to PM people there who didn't come across to NTHW.co.uk. Now that .com is down I have no way of contacting them.

I was able to PM one particular contact daily but haven't been able to do so since November 25th. I really hope that the site does go back online and hopefully soon.

If not they should at least have the common decency to send out a general mailing to the old .com mailing list with perhaps a link beck to this site so that you, I and everyone else can catch up with old and sorely missed friends.

Ponders...Wonder if Friendsreunited would run a special piece for us. LOL

Stuart
02-01-2004, 00:38
Ponders...Wonder if Friendsreunited would run a special piece for us. LOL
nthwunited.com?

LOL.

petevick
02-01-2004, 07:17
Looks like it but what bearing does it have on this discussion? :shrug:
Erm, because the orginal post asked "Why is NTLHELLWORLD.com still down", and I thought that the link I had was the new .com site, see, kinda has a little bearing on the discussion, well, to my way of thinking anyway.

Sociable
02-01-2004, 12:09
Erm, because the orginal post asked "Why is NTLHELLWORLD.com still down", and I thought that the link I had was the new .com site, see, kinda has a little bearing on the discussion, well, to my way of thinking anyway.

Easy mistake to make Petevick in fact they had the same problem with "Community" in that there was for a while and unofficial cersion of that too.

But end of the Day this is best of the bunch right now so just stick with us. :)

rodd
02-01-2004, 14:11
...............they should have the common decency to send out a general mailing to the old .com mailing list with perhaps a link back to this site............NTL referring dot com'ites over to here?

Only if they were still in a festive spirit and as festive as newts. ;)

Sociable
02-01-2004, 14:41
NTL referring dot com'ites over to here?

Can't help it I'm the eternal optomist believing in the inherant good in all people even if sometimes you have to touch the right guilt button to access it. LOL

poolking
02-01-2004, 15:11
<snip>

Well, they are only speaking the truth from their own experiences. I'm not going back to ADSL because quite frankly I don't want the hassle of a BT engineer having to come out and fix my broken ADSL socket and charging me £50 for the priviledge and I don't have money to keep throwing at different companies.

Sure I get frustrated when my email keeps screwing up, or I can't get on the newsgroups because there are too many connections on the server.

Sure I get frustrated when on New Year's eve the signal to BBC1 and BBC2 crapped out during Air Force One.

I just tolerate it because quite frankly I doubt there is much NTL can do about until they stop signing up new customers on a network that cannot take it.

joe2cool
02-01-2004, 18:26
Thx just wondering ........

zovat
05-01-2004, 11:25
NTL referring dot com'ites over to here?

Can't see it happening either (other than in a utopian world where NTL truly put the customer first :D )

I would agree that the CLT was a good idea - but as already pointed out, a number of the NTL personnel are on this site - albeit unofficially so - and will help where they can. Not quite the same as .com - but a lot better than nothing ;)

I personally cannot see .com returning, and even if it did, there would be no confidence from the members, we (certainly I) would be wondering if they would close it again if it started to get too anti-NTL.

I for one am happy that this site gives us the chance to air our views, and to help those that we can :angel:

DrAwesome
06-01-2004, 13:16
Maybe NTL cant afford the rent

or

NTL didnt want to throw an xmas party with chocolate cake, jelly & ice cream for the forum members

or

its NTL's xmas present to their customers (regardless of weather they want it or not)

Remember NTL always claim to act in their customers best interest.