PDA

View Full Version : Symptoms of Dehydration

Bifta
30-12-2003, 00:48
Probably a stupid question but I was wondering if "sore joints" were a symptom of dehydration? Normally after a day's work I'll have REALLY sore knee's from sitting at a desk all day but throughout the day I'll probably have a cup of coffee in the morning and not drink anything again all day, today however I've gone through at least 4 pints of water and I'm in no pain whatsoever .. like I said, stupid question (sorry).

danielf
30-12-2003, 00:58
Sorry, but how exactly do your knees get sore from sitting at a desk? I occassionaly get sore elbows at work, but that is another matter ;)

Anyway, I can't think of a reason why (de)hydration would affect your knees.

Bifta
30-12-2003, 01:00
Sorry, but how exactly do your knees get sore from sitting at a desk? I occassionaly get sore elbows at work, but that is another matter ;)

It's the joints in my knee's, like the kneecaps, difficult to describe but when I go to bed it tends to spread all over. Anyhoo .. much better now.

Bifta
30-12-2003, 01:01
There you go, a bit of googling and here's my answer

Sore joints? Try drinking more water; this lubricates the areas around your joints. Water also acts as a natural shock absorber for the eyes and spinal cord.

homealone
30-12-2003, 01:10

your knees rely on fluid to lubricate them, as do all your joints - normally it is produced in proportion to the use of the joint, but if you are dehydrated synovial fluid will be a low priority.

low impact exercise like swimming or cycling is good for joint rehabilitation - try to drink water, as well, though.

how we doing Ramrod?;)

Bifta
30-12-2003, 01:21
mmmmmmm synovial fluid .....

Theodoric
30-12-2003, 16:19
Probably a stupid question but I was wondering if "sore joints" were a symptom of dehydration? Normally after a day's work I'll have REALLY sore knee's from sitting at a desk all day but throughout the day I'll probably have a cup of coffee in the morning and not drink anything again all day, today however I've gone through at least 4 pints of water and I'm in no pain whatsoever .. like I said, stupid question (sorry).
I remember once being told that a good test for dehydration was the "colour" test.

iadom
30-12-2003, 16:22
It is also very bad for your kidneys to consume such small amounts of fluids.

paulyoung666
30-12-2003, 17:13
It is also very bad for your kidneys to consume such small amounts of fluids.

agree with you there , @ bifta have you ever had a kidney stone ??????????? , if you have you will know what i am on about , if you havent then start drinking a lot more ;)

Russ
30-12-2003, 17:17
A hangover is a symptom of dehydration :)

Theodoric
30-12-2003, 18:28
A hangover is a symptom of dehydration :)
And also, I believe, lowered blood sugar level. Hence, I assume, the suggestion of having hot sweet tea. Not that I'm an inverterate boozer, but on the odd occasion that I've overindulged, I've tried forcing myself to drinkk water until I felt sick before going to bed, it did seem to have some beneficial effect.