PDA

View Full Version : The first few weeks after the New Year

Theodoric
29-12-2003, 22:40
Is there a more depressing time than the period from the 2 January to about the middle of January? Nothing in sight except cold, damp and dark mornings for the foreseeable future. And the hassle of having to take down the decorations on 6 January just adds to the misery.

Mal
29-12-2003, 22:45
Your faced with going back to work after a week or so off, which was, for most people, spent lazing about and getting merry.

Your house always looks miserable and empty after you take the decorations down.

Pritch
29-12-2003, 22:45
Well, the decorations hassle is easily avoided. What's more, if you use my special method, you don't have the hassle of putting your decorations up either.

Bah! Humbug!

Bifta
29-12-2003, 22:48
I was back at work on the 26th, working up to 5pm new years eve, off new years day, back at work the day after so the whole "back at work" bit is done for me, as for the deccy's .. she can take them down.

Ramrod
29-12-2003, 22:50
Well, the decorations hassle is easily avoided. What's more, if you use my special method, you don't have the hassle of putting your decorations up either.

Bah! Humbug!
Well said! :D

Theodoric
29-12-2003, 22:50
I was back at work on the 26th, working up to 5pm new years eve, off new years day, back at work the day after so the whole "back at work" bit is done for me, as for the deccy's .. she can take them down.
Good grief! Your boss's name isn't Ebeneezer Scrooge, by any chance?

Marge
29-12-2003, 22:51
Be like me, no decorations to take down and I've been back in work since Boxing Day. In fact was up at 6.45 am today and believe me it was bluddy FREEZING :cry:

homealone
29-12-2003, 22:59
:LOL: :ghugs: :Yikes:

ahem ;) lets have a good time first - then get depressed:p:D

Theodoric
29-12-2003, 23:09

True, but the period between Boxing day and New Year's Eve is a sort of minimum in the feeling good versus time graph.

Bifta
29-12-2003, 23:17
Good grief! Your boss's name isn't Ebeneezer Scrooge, by any chance?

No, but he has a startling resemblance to David Brent.

homealone
29-12-2003, 23:23
True, but the period between Boxing day and New Year's Eve is a sort of minimum in the feeling good versus time graph.

sorry - you speak for yourself, Theo - that's not said to antagonise you, btw, I'm just a happy chappy atm, going back to work is the b*mm*r for me - Friday 2nd

Gaz

Paul
29-12-2003, 23:34
Am I the only one who isn't depressed at going back to work ?

I like my Job {Effectivley I get paid to do my hobby} and after a week or two off I start to get bored being at home all the while.

Tricky
29-12-2003, 23:40
Am I the only one who isn't depressed at going back to work ?

I like my Job {Effectivley I get paid to do my hobby} and after a week or two off I start to get bored being at home all the while.

No - cannot wait to get back, and I hate my job! - i just know that the work is waiting for me when I get back - Almost tempted to fire up the laptop over the VPN and clear out the emails...I expect to have over 500 by the time I go back on the 5th...

peachey
30-12-2003, 00:12

same here!

in our place they let two women who were known to be leaving the dept in January, and had only been in our dept for less than 3 months, 'block book' the entire xmas period - despite the fact that people with clean sick leave records who had been here for a year requested stuff

apparently only two people could have time off at any one time

so the rest of us were f&cked for any days off whatsoever

in our place the more time you take off sick and the *****ter and more incompetant you are the more you will progress up the hierarchy of things - and the more chance you will have of getting leave

bah humbug !!

Jerrek
30-12-2003, 04:24
I get to look forward to lots of snow. Lots and lots of snow. No damp weather. Just cold.

kronas
30-12-2003, 04:28
I get to look forward to lots of snow. Lots and lots of snow. No damp weather. Just cold.

one of the reasons why canada (toronto) would be my holiday destination if i had the choice to go......................

Russ
30-12-2003, 10:55
Is there a more depressing time than the period from the 2 January to about the middle of January? Nothing in sight except cold, damp and dark mornings for the foreseeable future. And the hassle of having to take down the decorations on 6 January just adds to the misery.

I know exactly what you mean - but I'd say it lasts a bit longer than that. All the silliness from Christmas is over and the summer seems so far away and all we have to look forward to is horrible weather. This is why my favourite part of Christmas is a few weeks before - the build up, the anticipation.

Dave Stones
30-12-2003, 11:31
in our place the more time you take off sick and the *****ter and more incompetant you are the more you will progress up the hierarchy of things - and the more chance you will have of getting leave

you dont work for the council do you? when my bro worked for leeds city council he could take sick days off as and when he pleased. paid too... he ended up having practically a week off every 4 weeks...

Theodoric
30-12-2003, 15:53
And you know how to deal with it too. I remember arriving at Montreal in February the day after a blizzard and the roads were already clear. Now, if we have a light sprinkling over here . . .

luftys
30-12-2003, 16:04
that sounds good to me,I love the snow,keeps people way from work :rofl:

Colin
30-12-2003, 16:08

here here :D