PDA

View Full Version : More email problems...?

chriscl
28-12-2003, 19:31
Hi,

Anyone know if our pals at NTL are continuing to have problems with their wonderful email systems still (as fault of 24th December)? I've been unable to send mail since this time.

I can poll my mailbox and collect mail OK, but cannot send anything - even a manual attempt to connect to NTL's SMTP server generates a "syntax error".

NTL's Tech Support, bless 'em, are mostly a waste of space for me (Slackware Linux, see - they just don't understand anything other than Outlook Express) so maybe I figured I'd ask here first, even though the "status" page says this issue has been resolved?

--
Chris.

homealone
28-12-2003, 19:46
Hi,

Anyone know if our pals at NTL are continuing to have problems with their wonderful email systems still (as fault of 24th December)? I've been unable to send mail since this time.

I can poll my mailbox and collect mail OK, but cannot send anything - even a manual attempt to connect to NTL's SMTP server generates a "syntax error".

NTL's Tech Support, bless 'em, are mostly a waste of space for me (Slackware Linux, see - they just don't understand anything other than Outlook Express) so maybe I figured I'd ask here first, even though the "status" page says this issue has been resolved?

--
Chris.

Hi Chris

:welcome: to the forum :wavey:

Have you tried a ping or traceroute to the smtp server (IP is 62.253.162.40 if you need that.)

- famous last words, but I'm having no problems atm:)

Gaz

threadbare
28-12-2003, 21:19
Hi,

--
Chris.
dont seem to be any mail problems at present. it may be a problem with your client or with your mailbox. Can you login to webmail? if so then it is a client problem

chriscl
29-12-2003, 12:12
dont seem to be any mail problems at present. it may be a problem with your client or with your mailbox. Can you login to webmail? if so then it is a client problem

No, I can't log in to webmail either - from within the NTL network *or* from a comppletely different network (2mb leased line at work).

As I said before, I can retrieve my POP3 mail no problem - it's just presently I can't send anything, which is rather annoying, to say the least.

When I get home later I'll try a manual connection to the SMTP server using its IP address, and see if that makes a difference, just in case it's a DNS issue.

I'm not impressed with NTL's mail service - I've had more problems with 'mail since I got my Broadband link than with anything else. It seems strange they have such problems with what should be a simple thing to setup and run (and I know, I design and build networks for a living!!)

Perhaps it's just a capacity problem (i.e. too many users and not enough servers?)

Who knows!

--
Chris.

Stuartbe
29-12-2003, 15:12
Try telneting to the mail server and see if it responds

telnet smtp.ntlworld.com 25

HTH

Paul
29-12-2003, 15:39
Are you in the Nottingham Carlton ? - it's fine here (North Nottingham).

threadbare
29-12-2003, 15:44
No, I can't log in to webmail either - from within the NTL network *or* from a comppletely different network (2mb leased line at work).
Chris.
if u can recieve pop3 mail then you should be able to login to webmail....

Stuartbe
29-12-2003, 17:19
That does not make sense. I have tried the webmail on the ntl page and it was fine. If you can get your pop mail then you should be able to send. Make sure secure autentication is disabled in your mail client.

chriscl
29-12-2003, 19:52
OK,

more fun..... it seems to be something rather strange with my mail account.

Firstly, the webmail (although not working earlier today) has now sprung in to life. Also, setting up my account settings in Mozilla Mail allows me to send and receive (hurrah!) but in Ximian Evolution, although I can retrieve mail, any attempt to send comes back thus:

"Error while performing operation: MAIL FROM response error: Syntax Error, command unrecognized"

Now this message comes from the actual smtp server: smtp.ntlworld.com - I've had this setup (Slackware Linux 9.1, GNOME, Evolution etc) working quite happily for several weeks. It seems that this "problem" has only manifested itself since the mucking around they did recently to fix whatever it was that they had broken on the mail systems just prior to christmas.

I had to give up with NTL Support (bless 'em) they just couldn't understand when I kept saying to them "repeat after me: I don't use windows" - !

I know they only support Windows clients, but strewth! even when you tell them that you're using something other than windows, they keep saying "open outlook express" at which point I gave up.

I can't be the only person using a non-Microsoft operating system here, surely?

Anyway, at least it seems to be happy with Mozilla Mail, so I guess that will do until either I can figure out what they've changed, or they own up and tell me (very unlikely!)

thanks to all for the assistance!

--
Chris.

threadbare
30-12-2003, 12:01
OK,

more fun..... it seems to be something rather strange with my mail account.

Firstly, the webmail (although not working earlier today) has now sprung in to life. Also, setting up my account settings in Mozilla Mail allows me to send and receive (hurrah!) but in Ximian Evolution, although I can retrieve mail, any attempt to send comes back thus:

"Error while performing operation: MAIL FROM response error: Syntax Error, command unrecognized"

Now this message comes from the actual smtp server: smtp.ntlworld.com - I've had this setup (Slackware Linux 9.1, GNOME, Evolution etc) working quite happily for several weeks. It seems that this "problem" has only manifested itself since the mucking around they did recently to fix whatever it was that they had broken on the mail systems just prior to christmas.

I had to give up with NTL Support (bless 'em) they just couldn't understand when I kept saying to them "repeat after me: I don't use windows" - !

I know they only support Windows clients, but strewth! even when you tell them that you're using something other than windows, they keep saying "open outlook express" at which point I gave up.

I can't be the only person using a non-Microsoft operating system here, surely?

Anyway, at least it seems to be happy with Mozilla Mail, so I guess that will do until either I can figure out what they've changed, or they own up and tell me (very unlikely!)

thanks to all for the assistance!

--
Chris.
I have just installed Evolution on SUSE 8.2 and it works fine. It must be a problem with the client installation or the settings.

The only setting I can think of is perhaps you have secure authentication switched on. ntl's pop/smtp servers do not support this. (Easy settings to overlook) and of course you could try the tried and tested method of removing the account and then recreating it....

hope that helps anyway

jimthomas
30-12-2003, 15:12
I have had no email received on my @net.ntl.com email accounst since 24 Dec. I can send emails OK but nothing is received into the account.

This keeps happening every few weeks/months - NTL keep accouncing that they have upgraded and fixed it - see notices back in June for instance.

It always seems to be useless to call the "help desk"!!! (what a misnomer) and the "status" page never mentions these problems any more.

When will NTL finally resolve these problems?

Sociable
30-12-2003, 15:28

Soon. :rofl:

Sorry not helpful I know but I think that's the best answer you, I or anyone is ever likely to get until NTL get their collective act together on this issue.

homealone
30-12-2003, 15:48
I have had no email received on my @net.ntl.com email accounst since 24 Dec. I can send emails OK but nothing is received into the account.

This keeps happening every few weeks/months - NTL keep accouncing that they have upgraded and fixed it - see notices back in June for instance.

It always seems to be useless to call the "help desk"!!! (what a misnomer) and the "status" page never mentions these problems any more.

:welcome: to the forum jimthomas

not an ideal solution, I know, but you could have a look at King Phoenix's offer of cut price hosting, which includes a reliable e-mail service

http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/showpost.php?p=105799&postcount=1

- I know you shouldn't have to look outside NTL for a solution, but for less than 50p a month after you have paid for your domain to be registerered, it has to be the cheapest available + you get 100MB of web space to play with.

Gaz

jimthomas
31-12-2003, 11:33
Homealone thanks for the suggestion to join but will I be able to move my NTL email address with me? Without that it is less attractive as I have people worldwide who know me and email sporadically and I could lose all those emails for ever (instead of sporadically as now!).

So will I be able to move my NTL email address?

Thanks again and Happy New Year